Start by marking “Never Too Late for Heroes” as Want to Read:
Never Too Late for Heroes

Never Too Late for Heroes

(The Superheroine Collection #6)

Agent Geena Fox is counting down the days to her retirement. On one bittersweet day six years ago, her team of superheroes defeated Jewel, the world’s most evil villainꟷbut Geena’s secret lover died in the process. Now her boss has assigned her a rookie partner, Leigh Walker, and that’s the last thing Geena needs. She sends the woman off on a wild goose chase searching for ...more
Published March 4th 2020 by Ylva Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Never Too Late for Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Too Late for Heroes

Start your review of Never Too Late for Heroes
Lex Kent
This was a lot of fun! With life getting in the way, I was a little late getting to read this book from YLVA. As a huge superhero geek, I was really looking forward to it so I was happy to finally dig into it today. I have read all of Brooks’ books except for The Club (yes, I know it’s supposed to be her best, I’m getting to it eventually) and while I have enjoyed most of them, I think this might be my new favorite by Brooks. This was pure entertainment and just a joy to read.

Where do you go to
Jude in the Stars
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book would make a fantastic movie! It’s fun and exciting, with more serious undertones about duty and growing old.

Six years ago, under the supervision of Agent Geena Fox, a team of cousins with superpowers defeated supervillain Jewel. One of the superheroines died in the fight, or at least that’s what they thought. Geena Fox is now eagerly waiting for retirement, while the superfamily is growing old too fast in a retirement home. When Leigh Walker, a rookie, is assigned to her, Geena sends
Sandra
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f, romance, family
#6 of the Superheroine Collection from Ylva, the first one for me.

Usually, I’m not a big fan of Superheros and -heroines, but this one I liked very much. These power-women are not young, stunning and indestructible, they are older women in her late fifties, early sixties. And this makes them even more lovable.

Six years ago, six women named Power, all related as sisters or cousins and who all have some kind of superpower, and their assigned Agent Geena Fox had a big showdown which ended with tw
Corrie
Never Too Late For Heroes is the 6th installment in Ylva’s successful Superheroine Collection and A. L. Brooks did it proud. She addressed the super hero concept from a novel angle, namely what happens if they stop believing in their usefulness and lose their powers along the way.

Meet the Power family - sisters Reed and Fyre and their cousins Val (her sister, the now evil Jewel), Mary and Sunny. After they killed Jewel in a big showdown some 6 years ago their fire slowly faded and now they are r
Betty
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Now this is what I call an adventure novel!

Just take one agent waiting for retirement, add in a green rookie partner, four retired superheroes currently living at the Hazy Days Nursing Home, one nosy nurse, and a super villain everyone thought was dead. Add in a few surprising characters and a little romance (two romances actually), and you have Never Too Late for Heroes by A.L. Brooks.

The characters really do make this story something special, especially the Power ladies. They are not only sup
Gaby LezReviewBooks
This is book six in The Superheroine Collection by Ylva Publishing which has featured novels by Lee Winter, Fiona Zedde, and Alex K. Thorne, among others, under the common theme of lesbian superheroines. The series novels varied from sweet to dark and ‘Never too late for heroes’ is by far the funniest of all.

Agent Geena Fox is still broken-hearted after her secret love died defeating Jewel, the world’s most evil villain, and is counting days until her retirement. When she’s assigned rookie agent
Joc
This started with such a fabulous premise that there are so many possibilities but not all can be done in any kind of depth. Four older ladies, with the aches and pains of a formerly active life, at least have each other in the retirement. Cousins and siblings, they have known each other their entire lives and used their powers as a formidable fighting force. Having lost two of their sisters six years before, Reed, Sunny, Mary and Val Power pass their days in each other’s company with no sign of ...more
Em Lewis
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a great fun read, old superhero’s....who would of thought...thoroughly enjoyed this book....more Power to them.
Kitty McIntosh
Superheroes, hot federal agents and an evil baddie mixed together to make a funny, exciting and empowering new novel from A.L. Brooks. ‘Never Too Late For Heroes’ is the story of Agent Geena Fox, an agent just waiting for retirement, and her involvement with a group of very special old ladies in a care home in Missouri. When Agent Fox is assigned a new young partner, she is surprised when Leigh Walker comes back from a routine missing persons case with an unexpected and welcome piece of informat ...more
Della
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hazy Days Residential Care is home to the four Power cousins, Reed, Mary, Sunny and Val for the past six years. Agent Geena Fox, a legend in the Agency, has been desk sitting for the last six years while counting her days until retirement. Dana Chapman is a newly hired nurse at Hazy Days who has an incurable desire to snoop especially on the interesting Power cousins. Agent Leigh Walker is six months into her first year in the Agency and newly assigned to be trained by Agent Fox.

Six years ago t
Ted
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Singularly unique in the sub genre of superheroes :) I really enjoyed this. It just felt real, which is saying something considering folks have super powers in it, hehe. And on top of all that ya get two different rom arc's, and even if it's at a minimum you still root for them. There were only a few times where it slowed down and my interest waned. Overall it was extremely entertaining. ...more
Guerunche
This was a very fun listen - and completely unique. Part of the Superheroines collection by Ylva Publishing authors, this story by A. L. Brooks focuses on a group of geriatric former superheroes that have since been put out to pasture in a Missouri retirement home. Their former handler Geena Fox, waiting out the days until she can retire from an unnamed federal agency, is stunned when a link from their past resurfaces - a significant one that conjures up old feelings and leads to a new adventure ...more
R
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read a few books by this author, and they all had some interesting storylines. This book was also interesting and creatively written.

There was a lot going on in this story. There were two government agents, 5 cousins with superpowers, a busybody nurse, and of course the villain, the rogue cousin with mind controlling superpowers who needed to be taken down. There was a mix of romance, adventure, and comedy throughout the story. In other words, it was entertainment.

I liked how the author slow
Angel
I'm pretty sure that my loud squees can be heard throughout the Caribbean because I've been waiting for this story like forever! Older superheroes, check. Grumpy senior cop with a bubbly rookie, check. A nosy nurse who just has to be in the middle of everything, check. An awful villain who is crazy beyond measure, check. This author has done a wonderful job of giving me vivid descriptions of each character and their quirky personalities because I can easily imagine what these awesome women would ...more
Liz
May 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ylva, hero
It took me a while to get into this as it has various characters and I was unsure where it was heading.

It was a mixture of a female version of cocoon with super powers. I confess to getting confused on who was a sister or cousin. The introduction of a bad sister using her powers for evil was promising but it just did not deliver for me and I was left disappointed.

One character was described as being "plump" which I found jarring. Perhaps throwback to childhood as not used in flattering terms.

T
Cheryl S
Mar 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Well its a feel good cutesie story. My best description is "Cocoon meets The Incredibles ".
The first 3/4's of the book involved the "60 something" Power's cousins/sister restoring their "incredibles" powers and practice, practice, practice. (I kept getting confused who were cousins and who were sister, I'm not sure why the mix was necessary. They could have all been sisters. It would have made it easier)
Then the story gets a little more interesting when the evil sister does something bad and th
Jane Clements
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian, superhero
I’ve really been enjoying Ylva’s series of lesbian superheroes in their Superheroine Collection. After five good books I’ve been starting to think that they’re going to come up with a dud. This book isn’t that – in fact, it may be the best so far.

It’s funny yet serious, faintly mocking and satirical yet fully embracing of the genre and filled with great characters. It’s unusual to read a superhero book where the main protagonists are getting on in years and it adds a fresh perspective to the sto
Bonnie
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it

Agent Walker was new to the agency and getting there wasn’t without its problems. Being, what some would call too short and others would just call being too small for the job she had her work cut out for her. So like many other women trying to work in a job surrounded by men she had to work that much harder. It didn’t help that her father was Senator Randall Walker who thought she wasn’t up to the job and was waiting for her to fail. When she was asked to work with the legendary Geena Fox she
M the avid reader
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly entertaining read (4.5 stars)

I didn't read the story synopsis before I read this book so all I had to go on was a quick glance at the book cover before I dug into the story. If you want an extra bunch of (good) surprises in your reading I'd suggest going into the book blind like that; elements from the synopsis as they reveal themselves in the book itself are super fun to read.
This story started out charming me thru the introduction of several hilarious characters and their close knit
Danie
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
This was fun. When I decided to read it, I didn't realize this was another book in the Superheroine series, but, it was, and it was pretty awesome.

There's a group of cousins, they Powers, they have, well, powers. They worked together with a FBI handler to right the worlds wrongs. Then, one of their own died in a humongous fight. They thought that their bad guy nemisis died too. After the fight, they lost their powers, and moved as a group to a rest home.

But, suddenly their biggest bad might be b
Andrea
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fun adventure/ superhero novel - I’m usually not a big fan of sci-fi kinda books but I enjoyed this one. It had humor, seriousness and heart.
Gail
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
No synopsis needed.
Ms. Brooks cannot be pigeonholed. Her books rarely disappoint and her foray into the superheroine storyline hits the mark. There's humour, action , adventure and romance all nicely blended into a tale with a really despicable villain and a "rocking" retirement home...
I read through the night to the end and highly recommend with 5 stars.
An ARC rec'd from Ylva Publishing for my unbiased review.
MiskaCZ
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
A ARC copy was given to me by YLVA for a honest review.

This is a story about become a heroine again and find the partner for life. I really liked the book about agent Geena Fox and her superhero friends, who tried to restore their powers. Geena Fox and her rookie agent Leigh Walker, try to fight old enemy - Jewel from Geenas past and they become help from four heroines from senior residence Hazy days and their nurse. The story goes fast and every character in thes story must deal with their unsp
Karen
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fun romp! I loved the concept of aging superheroes. We meet four of them in a retirement home ironically named Hazy Days, but fortunately our heroines have all their mental faculties. Unfortunately, they do have the physical ailments of old age – poor sight and creaking joints. They drink, tease, and complain, and make enemies of the other old folks there.

Then something changes but we don’t know what’s going on at first. There are some hints but I was in the dark until later on. Mean
Eve D'Alton
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m a big fan of superheroes and fantasy stories. This gets 4 stars just for the kudos of such an innovative point of view with which to tackle a genre that can seem overdone at the best of times.
Each character was individually defined and quirky in entirely different ways. I just wish that there could have been more time to explore each one in depth. I almost want a prequel spin off of all of the Powers family as I feel there is more story to tell with each of them.
The pace was very good and
Sascha Broich
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
*ARC from Ylva for review*

Imagine having been a super hero. Meaning you had some super powers but lost them and now you are just an elderly person in a retiring home.
That's how this story starts out. The Powers sisters and cousins are in their sixties and fight with aching joints and all that comes with age. But then it happens. They regain their abilities. But very slowly and seemingly for an unpleasant reason.
Also there are an nosy nurse, who is cute so her nosiness is tolerated, a left for d
Kalabash
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mix of superheroes + humour + romance = A nice distraction, fun to read. More stories should be written with characters being that “old”. Hope the States will have a president like the one in this story soon, let’s dream. Enjoy!
Ana Leamaro
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-copy
***free ARC

Love this book and the geriatric superheroes!!! All characters are amazing, it's a very good story and the dialogues between cousins it's exactly the crazy thing you expect between a group of friends who are together for years and they love to goad each other. Great read. I really recommend this book.
Ann
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another in the Ylva super-heroes series (which my 30 year-old geek son enjoys). This is a fun take on the genre, replete with comedy and romance, as well as the adventure of fighting the “bad guy”. In this case the villain is a family member. The super heroes think they are washed up. And their helpers are definitely underestimated. An enjoyable read.
Renate
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Super Heroes are not really my thing but this story was a fun read., loved the Oldies. I read some of this authors books and enjoyed them all.
So I hope that these Super Heroes find a lot of readers. I recommend this fun read.

• A Roll in the Hay
  • Heart Failure
  • Aurora's Angel
  • Changing the Script
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Treacherous Seas (Provincetown Tales, #8)
  • Entangled  (Tangle Valley, #1)
  • Candice Cushing and the Lost Tomb of Cleopatra (The Cushing-Nevada Chronicles, #2)
  • Hopeless Romantic
  • Easy Nevada and the Pyramid’s Curse (The Cushing-Nevada Chronicles, #1)
  • Stars at Night
  • 16 Steps to Forever
A.L. Brooks was born in the UK but currently resides in Frankfurt, Germany, and over the years she has lived in places as far afield as Aberdeen and Australia. She works 9–5 in corporate financial systems and her dream is to take early retirement. Like, tomorrow, please. She loves her gym membership, and is very grateful for it as she also loves dark chocolate. She enjoys drinking good wine and cr ...more

The Superheroine Collection (6 books)
  • Shattered