Start by marking “Sister Dear” as Want to Read:
Sister Dear

Sister Dear

Beauty. Wealth. Success.

Shes got it all.

And it all shouldve been mine.

When Eleanor Hardwickes beloved father dies, her world is further shattered by a gut-wrenching secret: the man shes grieving isnt really her dad. Eleanor was the product of an affair and her biological father is still out there, living blissfully with the family he chose. With her personal life
Published May 26th 2020 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Sister Dear, please sign up.
Hannah Mary McKinnon Thank you for your question, Madhura. A sequel will largely depend on three things: reader appetite, my publisher, and whether I can come up with a…moreThank you for your question, Madhura. A sequel will largely depend on three things: reader appetite, my publisher, and whether I can come up with a good enough idea :-) No plans at present, but never say never.(less)

Start your review of Sister Dear
Dita has the 'rona!
Even though I enjoyed this book as I was reading it I kept trying to figure out why it was marketed as a thriller. I mean, I really enjoyed it, it just felt more like Women's Fiction to me.

Then things got crazy and then they got really crazy and then I was doing that thing where I was walking around my house reading as I went, hoping no one needed anything because I couldn't set it down for a minute.

It just got better and better!

Thank you to Hannah Mary McKinnon, HARLEQUIN, and NetGalley for
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What the hell! This is nerve bending! This is so twisty! This is sick! This is dark, intense! Those characters are one of the worst mother..!(Biiippp) And guess what! Im sitting on the edge my couch! Im cursing the end, cursing the characters, hardly gathering my words to write something meaningful but as you can see my emotions are everywhere! This book ruined me!

Did I enjoy it at the end? Of course I did. I couldnt stop reading. I read in the car, ignored the honking sounds, the furious
Dita has the 'rona!
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY!

It just got better and better!

Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
2 stars.

A great start that quickly turned extremely unrealistic.

The first few chapters set up an intriguing storyline that piqued my interest and curiosity. That quickly dwindled away as I read past chapter 4 (7%). Most of the plot points throughout the rest of the book felt implausible (and had my eyes rolling).

Although I wish I could simply read for entertainment and not over-analyze, I am the type of reader who needs a believable storyline and realistic characters. I can handle hints of
Jayme
These reviews are the hardest to write...

But, this one did NOT work for me at all, and I was granted a digital ARC through NetGalley in exchange for a candid review!

Eleanor had always been treated like an unwanted step child, by her biological mother...who always favored her half sister, Amy.

So when she finds out upon her beloved fathers passing that he was NOT actually her biological father, she goes in search of the one who is.

She discovers that she has another half sister, Victoria, who
megs_bookrack
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
**3.5-stars rounded up**

As her beloved Father lay on his death bed, Eleanor Hardwicke, overhears a family secret that challenges everything she thought she knew about her life.

It turns out that her Dad, the closest person to her in the whole world, isn't actually her biological father.

She can't believe it. She feels betrayed that he has lied to her for her entire life.

She would expect something like that from her mother, who is a vile woman, but her Dad? It's a complete shock, one Eleanor
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
A secret is revealed that sends our main character grieving Eleanor on a path of deception, revenge motivated by grief jealously and the need for a family connection.

The story starts slow as Hannah Mary McKinnon delves into Eleanor's mind, where we see her thoughts of self-loathing, paranoia, desperation and jealousy. This took on a depressing and sad mood to the story for me, and I didn't get the emotional response I was looking for.

The pace picks up near the end, and Hannah leaves those twists
Ceecee
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eleanor Hardwicke overhears something devastating between her beloved dying father Bruce and his ex wife Sylvia, who is Ellies mother. This turns her world upside down and nothing will be the same again. She learns that Bruce is not her father and when she seeks out her biological father, she finds he is wealthy, a devoted husband and father to Victoria. Eleanor makes some decisions that she will live to bitterly regret and pay dearly for.

The power of the novel lies in the portrayal of the
Norma
Wowzers!! Surprising, thrilling, and a compelling page turner!

SISTER DEAR by HANNAH MARY McKINNON is a dramatic, cleverly layered, twisty, and crafty slow-burn suspenseful psychological thriller that was quite the surprising book to read. The story progresses at a steady pace and the tension subtly increases throughout. There is an unpredictable and pivotal moment in the story that changes the dynamics totally and makes this quite the apprehensive non-stop, exciting read.

Normally I dont do all
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
What would you do if someone stole everything from you? Your childhood and potentially your future?

When Eleanors loving father passes away, she finds out hes not her biological father. That man is somewhere out there with another family living his life.

This revelation shatters Eleanors world, while shes determined to find her father. As she searches, she runs across a half sister, Victoria. Perfect Victoria who has it all.

Eleanor wants all of that. Shes done playing nice.

Sister Dear is dramatic
Berit☀️✨
Womens fiction with a twisted thriller ending. Eleanor has never had a good relationship with her mother or her sister, thank goodness her father has always been there for her. But when she learns on her fathers deathbed that he is not her biological father she is devastated. When she reaches out to her biological father he also rejects her. Eleanor is now furious and ready to seek revenge. She masterminds a plan to befriend her half sister Victoria and ultimately destroy her. The thing is she ...more
Mary Kubica
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loss, love, revenge, buried secrets and greed add up to make SISTER DEAR an electrifying read. If you think you know where this story is headed, watch out. Hannah Mary McKinnon has a few tricks up her sleeve. A must read!
Carrie
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Sister Dear by Hannah Mary is a thriller novel that will take readers on a rather twisted journey. This novel is one that gives readers a glimpse of what is happening to the main character at the current moment but then goes backwards in time to lead readers up to the point we have a glimpse of in the beginning.

Eleanor Hardwicke was always daddys little girl and really still is now that shes an adult. However, Eleanor is about to live her worst nightmare when her father passes after fighting a
Bridgett
May 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance. --George Bernard Shaw

While many of the reviews seem to be lukewarm for Sister Dear, I actually enjoyed it...for the most part. I'll start off by saying, though, it's not a thriller...well, at least not until the final 10% of the story. I'd probably classify it as contemporary/domestic fiction.

Told entirely from Eleanor's point of view, she was a character who grew up with an emotionally abusive mother, a
Kimberly Belle
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A grieving daughter, a jealous sister - nothing is as it seems in Hannah Mary McKinnons latest slow-burn suspense, Sister Dear. This one creeps up the back of your neck then explodes into an ending that I guarantee you wont soon forgetand will leave you begging for a sequel. Smart, addictive, and genuinely surprising.
Mandy White
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What the??? Where do I start? Seriously, Sister Dear is one dark and twisted psychological thriller and I couldn't put it down! I stayed up way to late to start and finish it last night, so today I am looking a bit like a panda! But it was absolutely worth it. This was my first Hannah Mary McKinnon book and will not be my last, in fact I have already ordered 2 more of her books.

Eleanor Hardwick is devastated when her father is diagnosed with cancer and is given 4 months to live. She is
Ash
Jan 31, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of out-of-nowhere twist endings
Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Im taking a star off of my original rating because I cant stop thinking about how much I hated this book, especially the ending. I dont give one-star ratings often, but this book clearly left an impression on me in the worst possible way.

I wasnt a fan of the books protagonist, Eleanor Hardwicke. Sister Dear is written entirely in first person, from Eleanors perspective, and let me
Frank Phillips
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
You know when you are really, really into a book and thinking it's going to end up being a easy 5-star read and then the ending is completely predictable and just ruins everything? That was my experience with this book. It was so good and had so much potential up until the big twist came, which was incredibly sinister and demented in itself, but SO entirely predictable! Let's just say I knew what was going to happen a couple of chapters into this novel, but held out hope that I was wrong and ...more
"Avonna
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
SISTER DEAR by Hannah Mary McKinnon is a new psychological thriller that starts out more like a general womens fiction story, but it is a slow burn that builds to a definite twisted thriller ending.

Eleanor Hardwicks parents divorced when she was young. She was the apple of her fathers eye, but her mother constantly criticized her weight and looks which leads to extreme self-esteem issues and binge eating. Her father is dying of cancer and when she goes to visit her father in hospice, she
Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Jan)

Can't wait to read this one!
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Her glacial tone would freeze hell over when she left this world. No way would she go anywhere but south when she did.

Today, all of those choices seemed as appealing as a bowl of hair soup.

Penelope had unearthed my cheekbones with the skill of a veteran archeologist.

I wasnt just up shit creek without a paddle, Id fallen out of the boat.

Malcolm looked as if hed time-traveled from Wall Street circa 1985. Pin-striped suit, slicked-back hair revealing a widows peak Dracula wouldve
Myrna
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick, amusing read that held my attention throughout. I was very eager to see how it was all going to come together. Then I got to the ending. Ugh, that ending... I HATED it. Some readers love the ending and some hate the ending. Its up to you to decide. This is a mystery/thriller story, yet most of the book felt like a drama. 3.5★s ...more
K.A. Tucker
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Sister Dear on my trip to Punta Cana and found myself looking for excuses to curl up on a beach chair, just so I could finish it. Eleanor is a sad creature and I thoroughly enjoyed watching her character unravel with jealousy and envy. This story will keep you on your toes. It's fast-paced, twisty, and insidious... and I could not put it down.
Catherine McKenzie
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a fast-paced read full of twists. When a woman finds out that the man who raised her is not her biological father, she goes looking for her original family and finds more than bargained for. My first read of McKinnon's but won't be my last!
Debbie
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this novel!

Eleanor Hardwicke's father is dying of cancer. They are quite close so she is devastated. To add to the devastation, just before his death it is revealed that he wasn't her biological father and she is in shock. As Eleanor seeks out her real father, some family secrets are uncovered and her family tree isn't what she expects. While she has lived a modest lifestyle, her real father and his family, live in luxury. Her sister Victoria seems to have everything and Eleanor wants her
Samantha Downing
A stunning achievement! Just when I thought I knew what was going to happen, Hannah Mary McKinnon proved me wrong. Beautifully plotted story with characters that left a mark.
Kayleigh 2babesandabookshelf
Stop what you're doing and add "Sister Dear" to your #2020TBR pile immediately. I am calling it - this will be another SMASH hit by Hannah Mary McKinnon and sure to be on many "top books of 2020" lists.

I've thoroughly enjoyed all of Hannah's books because they are very different, but solid. Her writing was very mature in this and the character's had layers of complexity, yet realness, that I admire. She can take an ordinary plot and turn it into something masterful, something to be cherished
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
For most of the book, I was thinking this was a 2 star book. I pretty much knew where it was going and the characters are unlikable for the most part. All of them do stupid things and there are some absolutely unbelievable things that would never happen in real life. Yet I bumped the rating up in the end because this is one twisted story, meaning that it doesn't go exactly where I thought and some of the characters end up being quite twisted themselves.
It's quite a head-shaker, but for a
Denise
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a mixed bag for me. While I've read many glowing reviews from several of my favorite authors, and there were some flashes of greatness; overall, it was very predictable (save for the ending), and it wasn't one of those books that I just couldn't put down.

For one thing, I thought the blurb on the back of the book was somewhat misleading. It basically says that Eleanor, who has a completely crappy life, finds out that her dying father is not her biological father, sets out to find
Kristy
Eleanor Hardwicke grew up in the shadow of her perfect older sister, Amy, and dealing with a resentful mother. But she always had her father, who loved her no matter what. Now Eleanor's dad is in hospice care, dying of pancreatic cancer. As Eleanor cares for her father, she learns a heart-wrenching secret: her father isn't her biological father. She is the result of her mother's affair with a wealthy man. With her only loving family member dead, Eleanor's life is shattered and she seeks out her ...more

• The Bitter and Sweet of Cherry Season
  • SEAL's Honor (Alaska Force, #1)
  • The First to Lie
  • Big Summer
  • The Wedding Dress
  • Hurry Home
  • This Won't End Well
  • The Secret Admirer (Detective Natalie Ward #6)
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • After the Accident
  • A Happy Catastrophe
I was born in the UK and grew up in Switzerland. Unsurprisingly I love chocolate, mountains and cheese, and books, of course.

When I moved to Canada with my husband and three sons in 2010 I went through an (early) mid-life crisis. Maybe it was the failed attempt at a start-up company, but one morning I decided to follow my oldest passion; writing - and never wanted to look back.

My first novel,

Articles featuring this book

Summer is a great time to lose yourself in a page-turning mystery. To help you sleuth out a new read, we asked five of the season’s hottest...