Start by marking “Claire and the Unicorn Happy Ever After” as Want to Read:
Claire and the Unicorn Happy Ever After

Claire and the Unicorn Happy Ever After

Once Upon A Time, a little girl called Claire and her stuffed unicorn, Capricorn, were very fond of fairy tales. Every night Claire's father read them stories of frog princes and fairy princesses, and every night every character lived happily ever after. Then one evening, just as a story came to its close, Claire suddenly wondered: What, exactly, makes someone happy foreve ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published December 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Claire and the Unicorn Happy Ever After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claire and the Unicorn Happy Ever After

Kathryn
Cutesy little story with a girl going on a dream-adventure with her unicorn into the world of fairytales where she tries to discover what exactly makes people live "happily ever after." She discovers that a frog prince wants lots of plump flies, a princess wants a comfortable bed to sleep in, and a library elf wants lots of books... So what conclusion does Claire draw from this...? A nice premise and I like the Daddy-focus of the story (Daddy reads her the bedtime story that prompts the journey. ...more
Tayler K
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book were so cozy, I'm tempted to read it again once I go to bed. It feels just like cuddling up in a soft bed with a warm quilt.

Claire has been reading fairy tales with her dad and wants to know what makes someone be "happy ever after." He tells her to think about it overnight. When she falls asleep, her stuffed unicorn Capricorn comes to life and carries her through a fairy tale world.

It starts in a place rather unexpected, but once you see it you can't imagine why i
Xochitl
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a happy book
Natalie Martinez
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I probably will not bee doing this for story time. Need to be able to quickly translate to Spanish in head and then read in English as well.
Rebecca Light
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Stars for the illustrations. The story was predictable. Too wrapped up in a neat little bow.
Margaret
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy_sci-fi
Claire asks her dad one night after they have read her favorite fairy tale what happily ever after means. He doesn't know, so she goes to sleep and dreams that she meets some of her favorite fairy tale creatures and asks them. Their answers give her insight to the idea of what makes various people happy.

This book's theme about the meaning of happily ever after is geared for K-3. The book is a little cutsy for older kids, but good to begin a discussion on what happily ever after means, in general
Meg
Aug 29, 2013 rated it liked it
This one is a great option for those little girls demanding PRINCESS books. Though this one isn't about one princess in particular, it "visits" a couple, and encompasses that whole fairy-tale, pink-dresses, unicorn thing that these children are often going for.

I liked this book becuase it takes the phrase "happily ever after" and sends protagonist Claire in what would make one happy forever. The lesson she learns, while simplistic, is a solid one-- and the illusrations will capture the 3-to-7 ye
Amy Wise
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this book. It's the story of a little girl who after reading a book with her daddy explores the question, "What makes people happy ever after." Through a dream, she explores the question on the back of her unicorn, Capricorn. She asks the elves, a princess, a prince and fairy godmother. She finally learns that different things make different people happy ever after. It's a cute story! My daughter loved it too.
Bookslut
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddos
This was prettttttttty awesome. The illustrations are beautiful. My favorite part, however, was that is had fairy princess story matter (which is a constant winner in our house), but de-simplified the 'happily ever after' they're always pumping in those Disney books and movies. And you can't beat a little girl riding on her come-to-life sparkly unicorn toy into fairy tale land. Going to look up more books by this author and illustrator.
Whitney
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This certainly isn't a deep book but it makes up for that in absolute adorableness. It's just cute and has unicorns, fairies, princesses, and everything that little girls like to have in their books. You can try to make the little girls read something else but they are going to ask for princess books and this is a good book to put in their hands.
Jenny
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
This is very worth a read. The younger kids will enjoy the pictures and the older will appreciate the message. It is about what makes people happy. Claire and the unicorn go around asking familiar fairytale characters what makes them happy. The answer always depends on who is answering and she comes to realize everyone has something different that they want.
Ariell
Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: to parents and their children
This is a cute book with a good message. What make s people live happy ever after may depend upon the person living it. Everyone is different and likes different things. We therefore have different things that make us happy on a temporal level. On a spiritual level it's a completely different ball o' wax.
Jeanette
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the few children's books worthy of a review!! At the end of her bedtime story, Claire asks her dad what makes someone "happy ever after". When dad doesn't know, she decides to discover the answer for herself. Darling!
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Did you know that fairies have librarians? That is one of the things this little girl discovered on her way to learning what makes people "happy ever after." A cute story for any little princess reader.
Justin Bloch
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's always nice to pick up a picture book with a female protagonist and discover that she's creating the plot, not just wandering through it. I love sharing books like this with my daughter, showing her that being active and inquisitive is exciting!
Debbie
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Claire is pretty wise. When she begins to wonder what people have to make them live "happily ever after," she goes on a quest to ask everyone in her fairy tale land dreamworld. The key theme here is that everyone needs something different to be happy, and that's all okay.
Mary
After hearing nightly stories that all have happily ever after endings, Claire wants to know exactly what that means. She and her stuffed unicorn go to different fairy tale characters to find the answer. A thoughtful picture book with a gentle message about perspectives.
Diane
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
My son and I really enjoyed this one about a girl wondering what really makes people happy. In her dreams she asks various fairytale people what makes them happy. She does this with the help of a unicorn and comes up with her own answer in the end.
Zonia
May 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-school
Claire searches for what makes people happy. She finds different answers from everyone she asks.
Nitrorockets
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children of all ages
Shelves: children
I really like this book and so do my girls. What a wonderful story about what is being happy ever after.
Chrystal
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved unicorns as a child and I like how this story searches to see what makes people 'happy ever after.'
Anne
Mar 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: claire-s-shelf
Beautiful illustrations
Paula

One night, Claire and her toy unicorn, Capricorn, journey to a magical land filled with characters from fairy tales to find out what makes someone live "happy ever after."

Vanessa
Nov 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddie-books
A sweet little story that makes children or anyone wonder what does happily ever after mean to you. My kids and I really enjoyed the art work in this book.
Chris
Jun 02, 2009 added it
Wonderful story. Got my kids thinking.
Sheri
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sophie-s-book
We really enjoyed this. Sophie loved finding the little fairies. Has a really nice message about happiness.
Clarissa
Pattie Anderson
May 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A LITTLE ABOUT ME

As a child I loved to draw-but I also loved books, especially picture books. I still remember certain illustrations, covers and bindings from books that were read to me as a young girl.
I’ve lived in many places: I grew up in Wantagh on Long Island, N.Y., graduated from Northfield Mount Hermon School in Massachusetts and attended St. Lawrence University in upstate New York.

At the U