Start by marking “Wager for a Lady's Hand: A Lockhart Sweet Regency Romance” as Want to Read:
Wager for a Lady's Hand: A Lockhart Sweet Regency Romance

Wager for a Lady's Hand: A Lockhart Sweet Regency Romance

Forced into a betrothal with an abusive man, the only way out might be to beat her fiancé at his own game.

Miss Marianne Twisden knows her best chance at a safe and happy life is to marry a kind man and leave her violent father behind. When her father signs papers betrothing her to Lord Cockell—a cruel and even more violent blackguard—Marianne is desperate for a way out.
Published December 26th 2019 by Amazon Digital Services LLC

To ask other readers questions about Wager for a Lady's Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wager for a Lady's Hand

Start your review of Wager for a Lady's Hand: A Lockhart Sweet Regency Romance
Melissa
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story. I have never read this author so I didn't know what to expect going in. The story was a sad one that ended so well. The bad guy was so nasty! Yuck he made me shiver. The good guy was so good:} There was some great twists and turns in this one.I love when I have no idea how it could possibly turn out well and it does!. This is a sweet regency romance with no religion or sexual content.
Spoiler( I wish they would have found the spy in the house who was spying on Marianne the
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
This was a fun escape read for me. I liked most of the characters. The bad guy was really bad so it was fun to dislike him. ;) I didn't particularly like Marianne's dad, but I can say that the rest of the characters were a pleasure to read about.

Lord Sheldon Lockhart is trying to bring justice to Lord Cockell's victims. He wants to stop him before he victimizes another person. While investigating Cockell he meets Marianne and realizes that her father is the next victim.

Sheldon and Marianne are
Jolie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I got the invite to review Wager for a Lady’s Hand, I was intrigued. See, I have read several books by the author, but they were all steampunk/fantasy/dystopian/paranormal/romance based books. So, to see a historical romance by her caught my attention. When I read the blurb, I was all in to read this book. I am glad that I did because this was a wonderful historical romance.

The plotline for Wager for a Lady’s Hand was fast-paced and well written. The author didn’t allow for two many
Sonya Wasden
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lord Sheldon is the 2nd son. As such, he has to make his own way in the world and he has become a barrister, having moved to the countryside. He is determined to rid himself of Lord Cockell. He is like a regency version of a loan shark. He preys on victims who like to gamble and get in too much debt and then swoops in and takes their property leaving them destitute. He has destroyed to lives of several in the Lord Sheldon's new neighborhood and he is determined to take him down.

Miss Marianne
Maria Thomas

I liked this story. It was intriguing and wasn't obvious to me how it was going to resolve. My heart rate was up a bit too high through my reading as I worried for Marianne and wondered how she could ever be saved.

I loved the chess game and how game playing became a theme through out the story for both good and evil. It was interesting to me, perhaps even more so, because I do not have a strategic thinking mind.

My only complaint I think was a little repetition in the main character's
Candy Briggs
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a new author for me and I loved this story. Lord Sheldon Lockhart was the second son of the Marquess of Ramport. He is a new barrister and needs to make a name for himself. It had come to his attention that the Earl of Cockell was swindling his neighbors. But it all appeared above board. Marianne Twisdon was a very pretty girl and very respectable to other people. She was also the daughter of a viscount. Her father had the affliction of being a gambler and they were now destitute because ...more
Margie
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Life was hard for women during this time, especially if the gentlemen who were supposed to protect you were part of the problem. As the daughter of a Viscount, Marianne should have had it easier than the working-class women but her “easier” life came at a cost. Her father was part of the problem, not the solution. Lord Sheldon Lockhart, the second son of the Marquess of Ramport, was determined to make a name and reputation for himself by stopping the Earl of Cockell from preying on those weak ...more
Mary
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was kindly given a copy of this book by the author. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

First I want to thank the author for reaching out to me for an honest review. I have read and enjoyed her steampunk series (Steam & Shadow) so I was really excited when I heard about this one since I am just getting into Regency Romance.

Let me start by giving a trigger warning for abuse from a parent. This is covered in the synopsis so it wouldn’t surprise you but I wanted to just put that out there.
Mandy
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first novel I have read by this author and I enjoyed this story so much that I can’t wait to read more of L.G. Rollins books!
Marianne Twisden has the sorrowful lot of being stuck with a father who has no true love for her. Basically selling her away to the evil Lord Cockell, Marianne is desperate to escape her fate. Lord Sheldon is earnestly seeking to bring Cockell to justice when he meets Marianne. Their bond and attraction is great and I love how Sheldon paid such attention to
Stacey
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am truly surprised that this is a debut novel for this genre by the author. I truly enjoyed every aspect of the story. The character development was excellent. I loved the interactions between both the hero & heroine but also the interactions with the supporting characters (at least the loveable ones). I’m really looking forward to a sequel to this book! So much potential for the other characters mentioned but also, I would just really like to find out how “life” progresses for Sheldon and ...more
Joy
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Miss Marianne Twisden, daughter of Viscount Twisden, finds herself a victim of her father’s gambling: he has essentially “sold” her to a rascal who has fleeced him of everything except Marianne’s dowry, which the rascal intends to claim. Who can rescue this damsel in distress? None other than Lord Sheldon Lockhart, second son of the Marquess of Ramport, who is hot on the trail of Lord Cockell who has left a wake of devastation as he has gambled money away from many of the ton. Before Lord ...more
Catherine Graham
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be full of drama and intrigue. I really enjoyed the way I couldn't predict what was happening next! It was an engaging and captivating read I didn't want to put down!
Marianne is the daughter of a gambler who has just gambled her life away by signing the engagement papers for her and the Earl of Cockell. Unfortunately he's the worst kind of man and Marianne is desperate to get away from him.
Lord Sheldon Lockhart is investigating the Earl of Cockell and in doing so meets
Paige
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the characters in this book! Lord Sheldon is a great hero and I liked that we got to meet most of his family as well. Marianne is so strong and positive and she has such a rough life. This was a fast-paced novel and I was curious to see how everything turned out in the end. It surprised me that this is the author's first novel in this genre. I thought she did a great job and it seems as though there will be a sequel and I am excited to read that as well! I recommend to anyone who enjoys ...more
Desiree
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall, I'd say it was a 4 star book. L.G. Rollins can write a story well to capture the readers interest. The story had good imagery and I could imagine myself in the story. I had a couple of reservations. I thought "lud" and "gads" was over used. The H's sisters weren't friends with the h when they came for a visit. However, when there was some trouble with the H the sister's visited the h and without tranisition they were close. It showed the author did their due dilligence in research for ...more
Ashlee Hunter
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one. This is my first book by this author. I loved that she used the game of chess as a theme. I appreciate when an author weaves in something like to connect different parts of the story. I didn't give this five stars and the root is the title. I expected a completely different storyline based on it. I think because of that, I set myself up for something different, and when that expectation wasn't satisfied, I was a little disappointed. That being said, I do recommend it. It was ...more
Karen
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is seriously a cute book. I wouldn’t say that it was very unique but it was clean, it was fun, and it had a good plot. Marianne had an abusive father who wanted her to marry an even worse man. She finds out she is officially engaged to this horrible man just after meeting the man of her dreams. Sheldon is just an all around good guy. He is a fun character and really cares about Marianne and how she is being treated at home. He is forgiving of Marianne even when Marianne does things to ...more
Rachel
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I have read L.G. Rollins steampunk books and loved them and this book does not disappoint either! I was not ready to put it down and hope the story continues with the siblings.

I loved Marianne's spunk and brilliance! That even though she had no rights she found ways to lessen the burden on herself. Sheldon's heart was amazing and the fact that he saw Marianne for who she really was and was willing to fight for her even when he had his own troubles.
Julie
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lady Marianne Twisden leads a hard life. Her father is abusive and is heavily in debt. To pay that debt he involves her with a despicable man who blackmails her into discrediting a local barrister. Enter Sheldon Lockhart, a true hero. However that is the person Marianne is supposed to discredit. But he is so lovable and good. Her choices are a life of abuse and degradation or discrediting Sheldon. But can Sheldon help her reverse her fortune? I loved this book.
Amy
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lovely regency about Marianne, a lady who's father is abusive and has dwindling funds and Lord Sheldon Lockhart who is trying to bring down a sneaky criminal intent on seeing lords and ladies fall. Their worlds collide when Marianne's father is the latest victim. Can Sheldon catch the criminal before he goes too far? Can Marianne escape the unhappy life she has been dealt? A lot of twists and turns to find out in the end.
Ruth Ann
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gambling & Blackmail

This is a very well written book by L.G. Rollins and I couldn't put it down. Gambling, a cruel and alcoholic father, a young abused woman, a gambler and money lender, a young new lawyer, a forced engagement, blackmail, an arrest, love and so much more. If this book catches your interest this book is for you. I would recommend this book to everyone who enjoys reading a good book. Enjoy.
Shaylin Maxwell
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a good book. The author did a great job with the characters. I HATED Cockell so much! Every solution Marianne came up with that jerk blocked. I wanted to scream every time he came back into the picture. I couldn’t wait for the happy ending to come and it sure did! I hope the author does a story for Felix soon because I want to find out what happens to him too.
Lara
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved the characters in this book. They were very well-written and easy to imagine with the descriptions in the story. I especially loved Marianne and her strength. The love story was sweet and clean, there was some good suspense thrown in, and the ending was wonderful!

I received a complimentary copy of the book. All opinions are my own and are expressed voluntarily.
Deanna
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s probably just me, but I found it hard to get into it. Marianne and Sheldon had lots of depth and were great characters but the story let them, down. I’m glad that in the end they all got what they needed and deserved.

I received this as a complimentary copy and I am giving my honest review voluntarily
MaryEllen
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story was good––full of adventure and intrigue––but some of the Regency rules weren't followed, most notably that the young couple was often left unchaperoned.
How the antagonist was getting insider info was never divulged, either.

But it was diverting story.
Maralee
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice read, but for all the twists of the plot, I was a little bored at times.
Sherrie
Jan 05, 2020
Zoe
Jan 06, 2020
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page number 2 13 Dec 27, 2019 01:05PM

• Penny's Yuletide Wish  (Branches of Love #7)
  • A Duke for Lady Eve (Belles of Christmas, #5)
  • Hazelhurst (Families of Dorset #4)
  • Unmasking Lady Caroline (Belles of Christmas, #1)
  • Saving Miss Everly (Inglewood, #3)
  • In Pursuit of a Gentleman (Forever After Retellings, #6)
  • To Con a Gentleman
  • The Earl's Mistletoe Match (Belles of Christmas, #3)
  • Seeing Mary  (Dalton Family)
  • The Reluctant Guardian: A Regency Romance (Regency Brides: A Promise of Love Book 2)
  • Goodwill for the Gentleman (Belles of Christmas, #2)
  • Discovering Grace (Inglewood, #2)
  • His Unexpected Heiress (Entangled Inheritance #2)
  • Powerplay (Northbrook Hockey Elite #2)
  • Rebound (Northbrook Hockey Elite #3)
  • God Rest Ye Merry Spinster (The Spinster Chronicles, Book 5)
  • A Princess for the Gentleman (Unlikely Match, #3)
  • Secrets of a Hollywood Matchmaker (Backstage Romance #2)