Start by marking “Hand of Steel (The Steel Hand, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hand of Steel (The Steel Hand, #1)

Hand of Steel

(The Steel Hand #1)

A merciful pirate. A cyborg with divided loyalties. Bounty hunters out for blood.
All Krys wants is to capture enough bounties to keep her belly filled and move up in rank, but when she and her dad catch a pirate, the pirate’s crewmates retaliate. The attack kills Krys’s dad and burns away half her face and limbs.
When her relatives set out to avenge their fallen brother, K
Published July 1st 2019 by Mountain Star Press

To ask other readers questions about Hand of Steel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand of Steel

Start your review of Hand of Steel (The Steel Hand, #1)
Kyle
A number of great elements combine to make this book a very satisfying read. The author clearly put a great deal of thought and development into the worlds, alien races, and inter-planetary politics of the story before putting it to paper. More importantly, however, the characters really shine. I don't often enjoy space-opera novels because they all too frequently become bogged down in excessive worldbuilding and technobabble at the expense of the characters I'm meant to be invested in. Here, th ...more
R.J. Rodda
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast-paced SF read about Krys a girl who works as a bounty hunter with her dad. When things go wrong she winds up with cybernetic implants that are military grade - she got some super abilities but now considers herself ugly. Some unexpectedly kindness makes her question where her loyalties should lie.

The way there are different versions of the Bible for the ruling Ordained and their opposition the Free Kin is an interesting reflection of the real world.

This first book felt complete enough i
Carina Shephard
Thoroughly enjoyed. Definitely recommend for fans of space opera.
Mr Geoffrey Bowlt
An interesting mix of adventure ,politics ,aliens,cyborgs and space opera .Will have to read more in this series to see how it all develops !
Annette Aguilar
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Right vs wrong

An exciting adventure in space, torn between what was supposed to be right and what is wrong! Slavery is wrong, yet the law said it was right! Freeing the slaves was breaking the law! Which side was right, she must make a choice! Sometimes wrong was the right side to be on! What choice will she make!
E.B. Dawson
Feb 11, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: indie-authors
I have mixed feelings about this book because it held my interest the entire time and was wonderfully different from a lot of the scifi I've been reading lately. But I struggled a lot with the actual writing itself. It was difficult for me to visualize things and I frequently had to reread lines and whole paragraphs to figure out what was going on. There were strange hops in the narrative where we abruptly changed scenes or skipped way ahead. There were a lot of repeated words and phrases, and a ...more
Keturah Lamb
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not really a sci-fi/ alien-fiction reader, yet I enjoyed this book. And those that love and appreciate this genre I’m sure will adore this short, thought-provoking read.

I loved the world-building and politics. Especially the hierarchy of the slave system. I think I’m a world where government isn’t so corrupt it’d be a perfect set up. I also like how Jessi Roberts dealt with the passage in Romans.

Klate was an interesting character and probably my favorite. Krys was a good character, too.

I did
Jessi Roberts
Jul 07, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: aliens, christian, sci-fi
I'm the author, but I didn't know where to put a content rating, so I figured I'd just review the book.
Content:
No swearing or taking the Lord's name in vain
No romance/sex
No bathroom humor
There is some violence but no gore. A few people get killed, and the main character is injured and then made into a cyborg. It isn't graphic.
Scott Hartsock
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun adventure. Enjoyed the creativity and diverse characteristics of the different races. Look forward to these characters and these worlds popping up in future adventures.
Brie Donning
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hand of Steel reminds me that I do like sci-fi (especially space opera) though I never seek it out deliberately.
It's a book with a great adventure, a plucky main character in Krys (compassionate teenage bounty hunter, anyone?), And a fascinating cultural/religious conflict sitting nicely in the back of the setting to come out at the right moment. It's a story that can make one think, but not too much (I don't think everyone will end up thinking about the ethics of bounty hunting and let us let
C.O. Bonham
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-met-the-author
Hand of Steel by Jessi L. Roberts, is a page turning science fiction adventure.

Krys is a bounty Hunter like her father. Until a horrible accident takes her old life from her and gives her cybernetic appendages.

I loved Krys, she goes through so much trauma but comes out of it stronger and wiser. She questions every thing she knows about right and wrong.

I also love where she finds herself at the end. Not that I wouldn't read more about Krys and her new family, but I love books that don't leave c
Holly Briar
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a real page-turner! I could hardly put it down once I started. Loved the world setup (well, worldS setup) and the characters
Rose
added it
Dec 16, 2020
Julia Garcia
Jan 12, 2021

• Poison's Dance: A Twelve Dancing Princesses Retelling (Beyond the Tales #3)
  • Fire Ant (The Navy of Humanity: Wasp Squadron Book 1)
  • Daughter of Sun, Bride of Ice (Ice and Fate, #1)
  • Oath of the Outcast (The Dragon Keep Chronicles, #1)
  • Wish You Weren't Here (The Steel City Genie #2)
  • Curse and Consequence (The Whitby Tales, #1)
  • Reign of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #3)
  • Curse of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #2)
  • Molly Storm
  • Voice of Power (The Spoken Mage, #1)
  • The Geppetto Codex (Beaumont and Beasley, #5)
  • Apprentice of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #1)
  • Beast in the Machine
  • For the Love of a Word
  • Voice of Dominion (The Spoken Mage, #3)
  • Voice of Life (The Spoken Mage, #4)
  • Voice of Command (The Spoken Mage, #2)
  • Deadwood (Crockett and Crane, #2)
I live and work on my family’s cattle ranch in eastern Montana. I have a flock of chickens, a hyper golden retriever, some cows, and a few horses.
I enjoy fantasy and science fiction and my head is full of wild sci-fi story ideas, some involving apocalypses and others involving aliens.

The Steel Hand (2 books)
  • The Black Claw (The Steel Hand, #2)

News & Interviews