Start by marking “Hungry: Avocado Toast, Instagram Influencers, and the Modern Search for Connection and Meaning” as Want to Read:

We wait in lines around the block for scoops of cookie dough. We photograph every meal. We visit selfie performance spaces and leave lucrative jobs to become farmers and craft brewers.

Why? What are we really hungry for?

In Hungry, Eve Turrow-Paul provides a guided tour through the stranger corners of today's global food and lifestyle culture. How are 21st-century

Hardcover
Expected publication: June 9th 2020 by BenBella Books

To ask other readers questions about Hungry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hungry

Start your review of Hungry: Avocado Toast, Instagram Influencers, and the Modern Search for Connection and Meaning
Janet

Why? What are we really
Shelly
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Hungry is a decidedly informative and thought-provoking book. The book is well-written and expertly composed. This book explores foodie culture and our physical, spiritual, and emotional hunger. These are salient issues I was eager to learn more about. I personally would have appreciated a more engaging and conversational style. Having said that, the book delivers on its promise to fully explore what it is we currently hunger for and what it is we are getting. ...more
Susie
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
The formatting of this book made it quite difficult to follow. However, it was an interesting read, full of facts and figures. Its mainly based on USA figures and habits, but dont let that put you off.

Thank you NetGalley for my complimentary copy in return for my honest review.
Lisa Konet
This is not your typical. If you are looking for food or diet recipes, you will not want to read this. You still should anyway because it is filled with food statistics and the foodie craze. Some of the insights and point of view of author was quite funny, although that wasn't the main point of the book. I don't know how research she did for this book or it was all by experiences as foodie, but it was detailed.

There were some early pages about certain ages spending more money on expensive than
Ioanna
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Avocado toast. Artisan beer. Foodstagram.

What drives our obsession of food? Is it mere hunger? Are are we looking for something more intricate?

In an enjoyable and intriguing read, Eve Turow-Paul has assembled facts on global food trends, blended them with sociological facts, and attempted to provide us with answers to questions around how we as people manage the concept of food: what makes us tick, and why. Hungry is an attempt to answering basic questions about our behavior around food, and
Amanda Yates
Apr 03, 2020 rated it liked it
So it took me a bit to get into this book. I did by the third chapter but it was a slow read. I didnt agree with everything the author put out there but that is always the case. It was nice to read someone elses take on the world we are all experiencing. ...more
Natasha