Start by marking “The House at the End of the Moor” as Want to Read:

The House at the End of the Moor

What Can a London Opera Star and an Escaped Dartmoor Prisoner Have in Common?

Opera star Maggie Lee escapes her opulent lifestyle when threatened by a powerful politician who aims to ruin her life. She runs off to the wilds of the moors to live in anonymity. All that changes the day she discovers a half-dead man near her house. Escaped convict Oliver Ward is on the run
Published March 13th 2020 by Shiloh Run Press (first published March 2020)

Start your review of The House at the End of the Moor
Christine
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I may sound presumptuous in saying this, but this might just be my favourite book of 2020. Yes, this is only my second book of the year so far. But it is that good. Mystery, intrigue, suspense, romance, faith, history. This book has it all. From the very first chapter, I didnt want to put this book down. The characters are so well thought out. The plot maintains your interest throughout, and comes to a satisfying ending. I cant recommend this book enough. Will be reading more from Michelle ...more
Michelle Griep
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Think Jane Eyre with a reverse jewel heist thrown into the mix. And of course I gave it 5 stars, because who doesn't love a wink and a nod to the great Charlotte Bronte?!
Jocelyn Green
I couldnt put this novel down. It has everything I want: a richly detailed and atmospheric historic setting, robust characters who grow from one chapter to the next, and timeless truths convincingly and naturally portrayed. Not only does The House at the End of the Moor sparkle with wit and wisdom, but the spiritual insight is seamlessly and powerfully delivered. Another impressive offering from Michelle Griep. I cant wait for her next! ...more
Karen R
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thrilling Victorian era adventure across the moors of England! A Good Samaritan act puts a young woman in peril, binding the two main characters in a plan to bring justice down on those who have wronged them.

This well written tale has it all--action, treachery, inspiration, and romance--with colorful characters worthy of a Dickens novel. It felt like reading a fast paced classic, reminiscent of The Count of Monte Cristo or Les Miserables, but with a unique plot of its own. The theme of
Paula Shreckhise
If I could give this book more stars, I would!
A thoroughly delicious Gothic, Victorian tale that evokes the atmosphere of some of my favorite classics. It is written in the style of great books such as The Count of Monte Cristo, A Tale of Two Cities and The Scarlett Pimpernel.
Ms Griep used an unusual occupation for her main female character. Maggie Lee is an opera singer but with a crystal reputation. The hero, Oliver Ward, is an honorable, prominent man in the House of Commons. He ends up in
Trisha Robertson (Joy of Reading)
See full review at: https://joyofreadingweb.wordpress.com...

What an exciting page-turning adventure I experienced through the pages of this captivating story from Michelle Griep. Right from the very beginning, I found myself invested in the lives of the characters and eagerly turning pages to find out what happens next. The story kept the same level of gripping drama begging to the end.

Resplendent with mystery, danger, and dynamic expertly crafted characters, I found myself blissfully along for
Randi Annie Framnes
Famed opera singer Margaret Lee is hiding out at Morden Hall at the end of Dartmoor, when she finds escapee prisoner Oliver Ward lifeless at the side of the road. The plot centers around a jewel theft they both are connected to. On an intense and dangerous mission to bring down the real jewel thief they have to deal with people as dangerous as they are powerful.

Having fled from her contract obligations to sing in Bath, famed opera singer Margaret Lee is in hiding at the end of Dartmoor. She
Rebecca
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"Isolation. Anonymity. A life no man can alter. That is all I seek."

The house at the end of the moor is the perfect place for Maggie Lee to live out her life in isolation, posing as a reclusive widow, and seeking no attention from the any of the local townspeople. It's just too dangerous to exist any other way. Her world shifts when a nearly dead man is discovered on the edge of the river; badly injured, and barely breathing. Seeking courage that she did not realize she still possessed,
Andrea Cox
FTC Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley. These are my honest thoughts.

The romance and mystery in this story were what really made it sing. Opera stars are not often featured in Christian fiction, which is a shame, as opera is a fascinating style of voice work. Mrs. Grieps book perfectly displayed a distraught opera singer in hiding, and I especially enjoyed the moments when Margarets voice was put to great use within the storys plot. Those beautiful moments
Dana Michael
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The House at the End of the Moore is another enjoyable read by Griep. She is a talented author who masters the era with historic detail. The story had action, mystery and romance with characters you love. And some not as much. I enjoyed the story and as always will be looking forward to the author's next novel.
Shirley
Open Your Heart

This book was a great read. It caught my interest from the start and just got better the farther on I read. An Opera singer hiding in a house on the moors, an escaped convict, a missing ruby necklace, a corrupt politician, an unethical theater manager, a famous Lawyer and a constable with a mean streak all come together to make for an engaging tale in the English countryside and the city of Bath.

The author has done a great job with this book it is well written and engaging. Mr.
Mary
Filled with intrigue, mystery, a ruby necklace, and a shadowy house at the end of the moor, this story will captivate the readers interest immediately. Maggie Lee, a well-known opera star, is evading her former life to hide a few mysteries of her own when she comes across a mysterious stranger lying wounded on the moor near her home. Little does Maggie know that she is taking in a man wanted by the authorities.

As Maggie realizes the implications of what she has done, she must decide if she has
Kailey
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldnt put this book down! I read the whole thing in one day, it was that good! Michelle Griep does such an excellent job creating these characters that are so full of life. She also creates the best villains for her books. I was so into this story that I didnt want it to end! This book is definitely one of my favorites for the year so far!

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
Susan Snodgrass
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'God, You have rescued me before. Will You do so again?'

Michelle Griep is an author I will read just on the strength of her name alone. So when I saw this one, I knew it was going on my list! She specializes at this genre, although she is equally good at all genres, switching effortlessly back and forth between theme.

Maggie Lee, opera star, has run away from the stage and taken a house on the lonely moors in southern England. One day, her maid discovers a half dead man, beaten brutally, nearby.
Maria Thomas
I liked the story and thought it was interesting but sometimes it was hard for me to read. I'm not a fan of reading violence and the book has a lot of violence and cruelty. Very abusive, evil people. Definitely made me root for the main characters to win. And just as I'd think they had moved passed the worst of it, they would turn around and their tormentors were there again.

I'm not a fan of first person present tense. I just never enjoy it even though I've read a lot written that way the past
Betti
Justice is not free...someone must pay.

What an incredible book, certainly one you will not put down until you have finished, so be sure you have no other plans for your day! Oliver Ward finds himself in Dartmoor Prison for a crime he did not commit. Figuring the only way out of this situation is to escape and then clear his name, he starts to plan. That is when things start to get very difficult. Maggie Lee is living at the end of the moor incognito, having run away from a promising career for
Lindsey
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seriously, Michelle Grieps books are wonderful, this one included. Maggie and Oliver were both deeper characters than who they were initially introduced to us as. They were each hiding a secret, which tied their stories together even more when it came out. The development of the stories and their relationship, both as two people who grew to trust each other first then developing into a deeper connection, were all done at a perfect pace to keep me interested and be realistic at the same time. ...more
Michelle
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Filled with mystery, intrigue, dastardly characters and romance, The House at the End of the Moor
follows both Maggie and Oliver in their search for truth and freedom from their past.

Both innocent, their paths entwine to discover the truth behind Oliver's incarceration and Maggie's forced disappearance from society.

The House at the End of the Moor is a truly enjoyable read with well-developed characters and plot.
Nicole
I love Michelle Grieps novels. They are filled with so much action and adventure that pages fly by. They always contain well-crafted and dynamic characters who are not only endearing but also relatable. And, Grieps novels deal with important and timely themes that allow readers the ability to look within and perform a bit of soul searching. All of this is true for The House at the End of the Moor, Grieps latest novel due to release on April 1, 2020. I found this book one adventurous ride that I ...more
Perrianne
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-copy
Maggie Lee is an accomplished opera singer hiding out on the moor from fears she should never have to face. Convict Oliver Ward has barely escaped the famed Dartmoor Prison, when Maggie unwittingly rescues him from the dangerous moors, not realizing that he is an escapted prisioner. There is one item that will bind them together in order to solve a mystery and potentially free Oliver.
Maggie is a rescuer in the truest sense - she even rescued her abused and abandoned sheep dog Malcom from the
Kelly Tyree
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I completely love Michelle Griep because her books make you feel as if you are actually there with the characters experiencing what they are experiencing. That makes the book so much more enjoyable. The House at the End of the Moor explodes with imagery and that is what makes this book so good.

Oliver Ward is a politician who has been falsely accused and imprisoned for a crime he did not commit. The conditions in the prison are completely awful. He plans his escape with the help of a friend who
Lori
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What a read!! From beginning to end Michelle pulls you into the story with Maggie and Oliver whom I quickly grew to love and admire. I enjoyed their adventures..
I love Michelle Griep. I first "met" her when I read the Innkeepers Daughter and eversince then I've been a forever fan! What I really like is that her stories are genuine, realistic but also original.
Meaning, she writes from her heart and enjoys doing it. That means a lot to me.
I loved Maggie because I was Maggie working in the
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The House at the End of the Moor by Michelle Griep is a gripping journey from despair and hopelessness to redemption and forgiveness.

The author presents an exciting cast of characters with Oliver, who is an escaped convict. And Maggie, who has shut herself away from society to escape her past. Both find their lives inextricably bound together in a surprising way.

Another character who I loved to hate was Sebastian Barrows, a constable at Dartmoor Prison. Believing himself to be doing God's work
Ashley Parker
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you ever start a book and know immediately this one is going to be stellar? Thats this one. I usually fly through books but I knew from the beginning that I really wanted to take my time with this one. Michelle Griep has wonderfully descriptive writing and I didnt want to miss a thing. The way she brings the setting and character qualities to life in this book was a thing of beauty.

I felt that the tone of this book is different from her others. A little darker, a little more serious, and
Kathy
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely phenomenal. Maggie Dorset has gone into hiding at the ends of the earth, renting an isolated house in Dartmoor. Hoping escape her past, Maggie has little contact with the residents of the nearby village. But her peaceful existence is shattered when she discovers a man near death on the moor. Fulfilling her Christian duty, she takes him into her home not realizing how drastically this act of kindness will alter her life.
Ms. Greip is an excellent storyteller. So many
Diane
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author has a unique voice and I always enjoy the stories she weaves. Her talented writing pulls me back in time and for a history buff, it's a special treat. Although set many years ago the themes addressed in the book are current and enduring. Not only are societal issues tackled, the importance of faith, family relationships, and the heart of a person shine bright in this novel..
" But I fear you judge the wealthy too harshly. Not all who are rich are self-centered money-mongers, just as
Andrea
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
❤ I loved it! I'm quite speechless in fact.
I enjoyed the way the story is told from the different viewpoints of the characters.
Maggie is a strong, brilliant woman with a kind heart. She says one of my favorite lines, "I'd say there is much hope for you both, for God yet softens the hardest of hearts."
Oliver is quite a gentleman despite all he's been through. He can find and return my forgotten gloves anytime.
I love how the author weaves Biblical truths and a theme of forgiveness throughout the
Luz Trevino
Rating: 4 stars

Thank you to the publisher for the ARC given through NetGalley for review.

This book kept me very entertained from start to finish. It was full of non-stop action, drama and a little romance. I had a hard putting it down because I really wanted to know what would happen to Oliver and Maggie. Trouble seemed to always find them. This book is not heavy on the romance, but I did like how as Oliver and Maggie spent time together their feeling began to
Lara
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the very beginning Michelle Grieps new book, The House at the End of the Moor, grips your attention. I couldnt help but read and read as the story pulled me in further and further. The characters were so interesting and it was compelling to learn more about them, their fears, and what they were running and hiding from. I loved the expressions of faith and the truths shared. The love story was sweet, clean, and beautiful. And the ending was lovely and full of joy for so many good characters. ...more
Pam
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Five stars!! What a great story! I didnt want to put it down. The theme of finding justice permeated the story. An opera singer hiding out in the house at the end of the moor meets an escaped convict and the story begins. Griep crafts a superb tale of forgiveness, redemption and mercy. Youll be glad you spent the time reading this one.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #11)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Chisholm Trail Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #12)
  • The Blue Cloak (True Colors)
  • The Runaway Bride (The Bride Ships, #2)
  • The Rebel Bride (Daughter of the Mayflower, #10)
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • The Brightest of Dreams (Canadian Crossings, #3)
  • The Thief of Lanwyn Manor (Cornwall, #2)
  • The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
  • The Masked Baron
  • Out of the Embers (Mesquite Springs, #1)
  • Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey
  • The Gray Chamber
  • Woman of Sunlight (Brides of Hope Mountain, #2)
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • From Sky to Sky (No Less Days, #2)
  • Take a Chance on Me (A Misty River Romance #0.5)
I hear voices. Loud. Incessant. And very real. Which basically gives me two options: choke back massive amounts of Prozac or write fiction. I chose the latter. Way cheaper. I've been writing since I discovered blank wall space and Crayolas. I seek to glorify God in all that I write...except for that graffiti phase I went through as a teenager. Oops. Did I say that out loud?