Start by marking “Testing Kate” as Want to Read:
Testing Kate

Testing Kate

No one is better than Kate Bennett at playing by the rules–because no one has quite her knack for running into bad luck. Orphaned while in college, Kate handled her loss by graduating with honors and acquiring a secure job and a dependable boyfriend. But now, with her thirtieth birthday around the corner, Kate decides it’s time to shake things up. She quits her job, breaks ...more
Published October 31st 2006 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Testing Kate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Testing Kate

Start your review of Testing Kate
Obsidian
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad, I did enjoy this one, it just drug things out a bit for me. I have never been to law school so I don't know if the experiences depicted are true to life (Socratic Method) or not, but the one law school professor is the stuff of nightmares. Kate was an okay character, I just didn't love her. I think my big issue though is the end when Kate goes off to her happily ever after it felt really out of the blue to me. Seemed as if Gaskell was using a bit of her own life (nothing wrong with ...more
Jessica
Apr 01, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring!
Rachel C.
Feb 27, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: pop-fic-general
Another god-awful chick lit book. This book came my way as part of the detritus of a swap meet and I can see why the original owner passed it on. I, too, will be shuffling it out the door (though not to anyone I know or like).

Gaskell has only the most rudimentary of writing skills; her book is a prime example of why I usually cringe when I see the first person POV. Even when I was skimming, the story seemed to plod along very slowly. The dialogue is generally unconvincing as speech and the
Ummi
Jul 13, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: rubbish
"Testing Kate".

More like "Testing Ummi"!

This book gave me headaches!
Chandre
I was bored at the end
Annalisa
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Annalisa by: Lori
The basic message here is you shouldn't be afraid to follow your dreams and your heart, to admit when you're on the wrong path and have the courage to change. Only really it's encouraging our adrenaline-powered generation to drop what has lost the power to excite and move onto something else. What's wrong with steadily content and comfortable?

I'm all for getting out of a rut, but there is a line between making life better and just making it different. I liked Graham and for all Kate's annoyance
stephanie
Jul 16, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
a one-night book, it isn't bad. it doesn't resort to the traditional chick-lit tropes, nor does it shy away from perceived failures for the characters. it is about growth, and it doesn't have a story-book ending, which i appreciated. i didn't really care for the whole deal with Professor Satan, nor did i care so much about kate's love life, as much as i liked reading her reactions to the people around her - she very much seems to be a character that really doesn't have a lot of agency - in fact, ...more
Kate Harvey
May 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book has to be one of the worst fiction novels I have ever read. It's just so predictable and does the one thing that I hate in a book and that is OVER DESCRIBING! I don't really need to know about every object in the room or exactly where she is going I just want to know what happens.
Over describing -crazy as it seems- makes it hard to imagine the environment accurately!
Lily Nadia
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
It started as an interesting book.. however i was hoping for a stronger ending..
Jaq
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fairly functional romance.
Christa Eker
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
A simple one day read.
No major breakthrough story but an enjoyable read nonetheless.
I liked it.
Anna
Oct 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Hmm... so after reading this I totally understand the lukewarm reviews this book has received. It's not bad -- there are moments where it's actually quite engaging -- but there's something that prevents it from ever getting to the next level that it could have gotten to.

Kate, the narrator, is kind of flat. I had trouble identifying with her. She's super wishy-washy. Nick seemed more interesting but maybe because I have an ex named Nick I just wasn't wild about that character either. :) I
Michele Oyamata
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
It's been a long time since I last read a chicklit. I was just looking for a quick and delightful read. 'Testing Kate' surpassed my expectations.

Kate Bennett is a first-year law student at Tulane Law School. After splitting up with her boyfriend Graham, she decides to take this chance and enroll to university again, where she meets Nick - her neighbor -, Lexi, Jen, Addison, and Dana.

At her first school day, she makes the mistake of coming unprepared to class: because of the moving to her new
Klaudyna Z.
Oct 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: wishlist
I thought the book was okay overall. I kind of lost interest once everybody started sleeping with each other out of nowhere. I also thought that it was weird that Kate suddenly becAme in love with nick out of nowhere after she sees him with Lexi. She really didn't give any indication of having any feelings for him before then and I just felt like that came out of left field.

I was also glad that the Hoffman situation was remedied in the end. That guy sounded awful. Overall the book was okay, and
Jill
Jun 27, 2011 rated it liked it
This story is about a young lady who goes to law school for all the wrong reasons and stays in a relationship for the wrong reasons. When her boyfriend asks her to marry him and she is harassed by a sadistic professor will she change her perspective for all the right reasons?

I wasn’t sure about this book when I started it. But I quickly gained interest. The characters are interesting and the plot lines move at a nice pace. I liked how it ended though I wouldn’t have minded if the sadistic
Marnie
Apr 12, 2008 rated it liked it
I didnt enjoy this one as much as Whitney Gaskell's other books. It's about law students, & they mostly act like high school students, & it seems like they'd rather go out drinking than study & get good grades. I didnt like the alcoholic, gay boss, he was weird & didnt really need to be in the story, I wasnt sure how he fit into the plot. I really hated the evil professor, & I was glad he got what was coming to him. The rest of the ending wasnt that good. It was kind of ...more
Helen
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it
A light, enjoyable read with a satisfying ending.

I liked the main character, Kate, although I found her indecision when it came to the men in her life a bit irritating (she almost came across as a tease. I'm afraid I didn't really like Nick very much for some reason - he didn't seem to have any really likeable qualities and was just a bit too forward and moody sometimes?

It's a shame Armstrong wasn't in it more and he seemed interesting and funny.
Amanda
Mar 30, 2011 rated it liked it
A fun, quick, read. About a woman who has terrible luck and her experience at law school.

What I liked:The setting: New Orleans (and Tulane University)
The group of law students (though stereotypical, each one was well painted, I thought)
The tangential historian that Kate works for

What I didn't like:The caricature of an evil law professor
The weird focus on her "bad luck"
Both of Kate's relationships.
Sara
Oct 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Lisa
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
The book is set in New Orleans which is why I originally picked it up. The more I read the more it seemed like it could be my life story. Except she made it a little farther in law school than I ever did. This was a good quick read. I finished it within one afternoon. It was interesting to me to recognize the places she talks about in the book.
Charity
Dec 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Needed some fluff and this one had been sitting on my shelf for far too long. Great story set at Tulane Law School where friends are hooking up and breaking up in between studying. It was everything I needed and more...perfect brain candy! I definitely think I'll be reading many more by Ms. Gaskell. Such fun!
Peggy Lo
Apr 18, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
EA- this is the book about going to law school at Tulane.

Underneath the layer of chick lit the story is not only about choices but how choices are made. What is the thing that will really make you happy?

She assumes that law school => security => happiness. What looks like a solution and tastes like a solution isn't necessarily the solution.

It is quite apropos.
Meagan Mihalko
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you want a good glimpse of what law school is like, read this book. We had our own Professor "Satan"...he didn't mark exams though...and law school is just like high school, probably worse actually because there are no sports or show choirs haha. Regardless of what ppl say about this book, from a law student's perspective, it's dead on!
Melissa Lee-Tammeus
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowed
A Grey's Anatomy except with lawyers written like a high school story for teenagers. It is supposed to be about 30 somethings in law school. It certainly didn't feel like it. It felt trite, silly, and incredibly predictable. I'm not sure why I even read it all the way through, other than to prove my point. It was proven. Eh.
Carmen#lurveschoco
Cheesy read. Not much to say.

I read this book when I was a form 1 student(13 years old), always thought that the steamy parts are so interesting >>> LUST huh?

NICK IS THE SEXIST PERSON IN THE WORLD!!! <3

>>carmen@lurveschoco<<
Amber
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
This story was engaging and entertaining. It is definitely worth it. I've read all of Gaskell's books and I really felt she went in depth with the main character; my only annoyance is that she didn't really develop Nick's character or the way Kate felt in regards to him. I still recommend.
Alycia K
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it
A classic one-night-stand of a chick lit. I really enjoyed it, but the only thing I didn't love was the feeling of brushing over important character moments in replacement of stories of her studies. Nice, easy read.
Olivia
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would! An engaging book with a cute story. My only criticism is that at times there were too many descriptions of scenery, I don't need to know what kind of floor boards there are etc. but otherwise a good read!
Catherine
Aug 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Well, it's definitely entertaining to read New Orleans chick lit, but the immaturity of the characters disappointed me. Even though the narrator continually said that the drama in law school made it like high school all over again, the self-awareness didn't go much further.
Maryruth Endicott
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I enjoyed reading this story. I really like Whitney Gaskell's stories they aren't exceptional but they are well written and an easy enjoyable read. This story is about finding what you really want from life and realizing that it is never a mistake to acknowledge when you made a bad choice.

• Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
  • The Last Original Wife
  • Fashionably Late
  • Pupcakes
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • Why Nobody Wants to Be Around Christians Anymore: And How 4 Acts of Love Will Make Your Faith Magnetic
  • Cartes Postales from Greece
  • One Night Stand
  • Salep and Ginger
  • This Book Will Save Your Life
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • You've Been Volunteered: A Class Mom Novel
  • Mounting Desire
  • The French Gardener
  • Hunt Them Down (Pierce Hunt, #1)
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • Whose Wedding Is It Anyway?
  • The Art of French Kissing
Growing up, Whitney Gaskell always wanted to become a writer. Then for some unknown reason, she went to law school. TABLE FOR SEVEN is Whitney's eighth book. She also writes the Young Adult GEEK HIGH series under the name Piper Banks.