Start by marking “The Audacity” as Want to Read:
The Audacity

The Audacity

A wild ride stuffed to the cut-lines with humor, heart, and space shenanigans.

May’s humdrum life gets flung into hyperdrive when she’s abducted, but not all aliens are out to probe her. She’s inadvertently rescued by Xan who’s been orbiting Earth in a day-glo orange rocket ship, watching re-runs of “I Love Lucy”.

Seizing the opportunity for a better life, May learns how to
ebook, 1, 300 pages
Published August 6th 2019 by Laura Loup

To ask other readers questions about The Audacity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Audacity

Start your review of The Audacity
Lex Kent
I have to be honest that this read was a struggle for me. The only reason I am even giving this book 3 stars is because the writing quality is there (except for the use of ‘irregardless’) what wasn’t there was my personal enjoyment. The other ratings/reviews are all high so I do want to point out that I’m an outlier here.

Anyone who follows my reviews knows I love books with imagination and that are different, I crave variety. I love sci-fi and thought this oddball book would be right up my alley
Fieke
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia-plus-rep
The audacity is a humor-filled story about a young girl who gets abducted by aliens.

Although “funny” is very personal and it depends completely on your own sense pof humor, I personally thought this book is hilarious.

It is a fun adventure that you can easily read in one day if you want, because it isn’t that long and it is pretty fast-paced.

It also has a great cast of diverse characters that have great interactions.

Representation: asexual main character, bisexual character, pansexual character
A.E. Bross
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have to admit to enjoying this queer sci-fi romp. As much as it may get me shunned for saying, I've never read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, so I hit this book with fresh eyes and no expectations. What I was gifted with was a witty, conversationally vibrant work of fiction that made me love the characters, plot, and setting. If your a fan of the genre, I definitely recommend taking a ride on The Audacity. ...more
WS_BOOKCLUB
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, humor
Thank you to the author for giving me this book in exchange for my honest opinion. This is available now.

With a tagline like “Where rocket ships run on coffee and dumb luck,” how could I not fall in love with this book? Poor May works (slaves?) at a convenience store- until she is beamed up into a spaceship, launching her on an intergalactic adventure.

This book was absolutely bonkers, in the best way. I loved the witty humor, especially when the narration would include the reader briefly. When X
G.M. Nair
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laura Loup's The Audacity is the book I've been looking for for a long time.

Now, I've said this before, and I'm going to say it again: when people review Sci-fi/Fantasy comedies, they inevitably fall into the trap of comparing them to Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett, because they really lack any other significant frame of reference.

... I'm going to fall into that same trap for the second time in as many months, despite my self-awareness. That's because you can see incredibly clear strands of H
S.E. Anderson
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok, this is BY FAR the funnest and funniest book I've read this year!

I don't even know where to start with the review. Do you like relatable main characters who are thrown into insane situations? Check. Do you love non-creepy, totally healthy, absolutely adorable men-women friendships? Check. Do you love mad, off the hook, oddball scenarios taken in stride? CHECK. This book has everything!

(Also, were you a fan of the lesbian purple goddess who just won the world cup? Um, this book has one. It to
Emily Patton
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Audacity by Laura Loop is a colorful and eccentric book that was hard to put down. From start to finish you're pulled in to a colorful and eccentric universe ready to be explored.

Our story follows May, a Sonic Drive-In waitress who is growing tired of her monotonous lifestyle. Until one day, fate had something in store for her as she is pulled in to an intergalactic adventure she could never have imagined. And, to her surprise, befriending a rather flamboyant and charming blue alien with a t
Allister
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where to start? The characters are so relatable and fun to get to know. It's like being on a ride with new friends who become family. The book is fantastically written. I haven't literally laughed out loud at a book since Good Omens, and Laura Loup had me laughing for a solid amount of time. I'd say more about that, but I don't want to spoil it for you!

Cleverly written and thought out as well as highly imaginative. I highly recommend stepping aboard The Audacity, and make sure you're ready for a
R.M. Hamrick
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A categorically delightful cast, beoops of laugh-out-loud moments, and a bit of truth, relevancy, and complete irrelevancy, akin to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or Too Many Curses. It's good-natured fun, and an absolute pleasure to read.

Xan and May really come alive on the pages -- Xan is a blue-skinned alien who adores I Love Lucy. May is a Sonic employee who just wants to get home, with or without using her 'Key Fist'.

Then, an AMC Gremlin appears.

Race your obnoxiously orange spaceship to
Michael Stoop
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Audacity is a spiritual descendant of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and if you loved that book, you should definitely give this one a look. Laura Loup keeps the pace quick and the jokes flowing throughout. The characters are distinct and lively, and clearly the result of a lot of love from the author. The real draw here, though, are the gags that Loup weaves through the text - none of which I'll spoil for you here. Overall, the perfect palate cleanser for the end of a day in our much ...more
Trista M
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Is life gettin' you down? Are you constantly craving flawless humor and space adventures? Then this book exactly what you need! Fantastic characters, intriguing conundrums, space racing, time travel, smile-inducing friendships and so much orange.

Caution: Only read this book if you enjoy laughing.
Estella Mirai
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Audacity is fun, funny, off-the-walls... in short, it's a RIDE.

I picked this book up largely because of the author's Twitter account, where they often post art and headcanon-y stuff about the characters. Any book that is so CLEARLY loved by its author has to have a lot of heart, right? In this case, at least, I wasn't wrong.

Billed as a modern-day Hitchhiker's Guide, The Audacity definitely lives up to that promise. The Douglas Adams influence is clear, but the humor and the characters are de
MedinaReads
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Note: This was sent to me by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Wohoo! This was A RIDE!
This was such a fun and interesting story! The author did an amazing job, the world-building is hilarious! I laughed so hard at some parts and the plot was really well done. I absolutely loved the main characters, they’re so funny and so well described. This is a science fiction comedy, and I rarely read sci-fi but I had so much fun while reading this one because the story itself is so addicting!!

T
Daniel Aegan
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book expecting a slapstick-filled romp through outer space, and The Audacity did not disappoint. It starts as fast as a racing rocket, and it doesn't let up. May is a displaced human among the stars, trying to make the best out of a piss poor situation. Xan is an alien who takes her in for the karma.

The characters mesh well. There are others who pop in and out of the story, but you never feel overwhelmed with an abundance of filler. To the contrary, everything fits well in the s
Meaghan Curley
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book. It had been on my tbr list for a while since I saw the cover art for it on Twitter. I got it for a Xmas present and the moment I saw the Douglas Adams quote in the beginning I knew I was going to be in love. And I am. It was a great book with great characters, great story, great friendship (no forced romances thank Xan!) and best of HILARIOUS JOKES. (One of my favorites: “But I loved you” “Gross”) I genuinely laughed several times throughout the book. I think ...more
Tergita Beqaraj
Nov 14, 2020 rated it liked it
It is a pretty good book, I would say. Funny and smartly written. This time I am sure the problem was me. I went through one of the worst reading slumps and at the same time this books was a new style for me and the combination of these two brought as a result the long time I had to read it. Overall "The Audacity" is a book I would recommend. The characters were deffinitely one of a kind and the world built was AMAZING. The writting style was SO GOOD. Maybe someday I would come back for a reread ...more
Rachael Krotec
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a riot! I read this book in a day, and SO needed the laughs it gave me. The pacing was spot on, and the characters were just delightful. I hardly ever read sci-fi, but this was the perfect amount of space and tech, not overwhelming at all and I loved the names of things.

One question I had was how May breathed on other planets. Don’t know if I just missed that, but I was always wondering that!

Would recommend, even to people who don’t normally read this genre!
Felicia Barron
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author for giving me a copy to review. I enjoyed this very much. It's a wonderfully fun read and the characters are great! It is really well written and funny; also, it has a well thought out plot that complements the whimsy perfectly. Review will be up on bookstagram soon. ...more
Dahlia Ornelas
I really liked the way this book was written. It was silly and funny, and you could tell the author had a lot of fun writing it! The story kinda dragged for me a bit, and the subplots were hard to follow, but I really enjoyed the worldbuilding and the characters a lot!
Abigail Wildes
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is adorable. Absolutely fun and surprising and just totally enjoyable.
Jessica Chittester
DNF'd. Couldn't get into it. Not my cup of tea. ...more
Lynn
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun read! It was clever and witty and made me laugh quite a bit which is rare for me in a book. I really enjoyed the characters and the plot kept me intrigued as well.
Tessa
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun little space romp, perfect for people craving more books with a style similar to Pratchett & Hitchhiker’s Guide.
Nancy Meservier
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this wacky sci-fi comedy, May, a waitress, finds herself abducted by aliens and forced into space faring food service. When she sees a chance at escape, she jumps on it, but things don't go according to plan. Now a passenger aboard the rocket ship The Audacity, alongside an alien with a longstanding I Love Lucy obsession, May needs to find a way to pay the bills, and rescue planet earth from a chaos Goddess with an expansive tooth collection.

Comedy is a tricky thing to accomplish in fiction,
CJ Connor
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was hilarious and so much fun to read! Like the queer Hitchhiker's Guide my teenage self always wanted. Definitely worth reading if you like comedic sci-fi. ...more
Helen Whistberry
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
A delightful surprise! Outstanding and imaginative entry in the Douglas Adams style of snarky and clever scifi space adventure. May is abducted from Earth by one group of aliens and then abruptly and accidentally rescued by Xan, an alien with a mysterious past. Non-stop action, intrigue, and funny business in every sense of the word follow from there. Excellent writing and editing, well-developed characters, and an intriguing plot, although like in many novels of this sub-genre, the plot is almo ...more
Rebecca Langham
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A quirky and refreshing addition to the world of sci-fi, this is a book that I absolutely appreciate whilst also recognising that it wasn't quite my cup of tea.

Being a story that is low on romance and high on snark, the description, style, and content seemed like exactly the sort of thing I should have loved. But something just didn't quite click for me. The humour, whilst certainly recognisable, didn't amuse. The characters, whilst interesting and entertaining, never made their mark on me as a
Ashley
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bb-review
The Audacity is one of those books you are either going to love, or you’re going to hate. I LOVED this book. It’s fresh, reminiscent of Douglas Adams’s writing, breaks the fourth wall, and keeps you laughing throughout.

May, a Sonic Drive-In carhop gets pulled right off of earth and out of the monotony of her life to find herself in space in the middle of an adventure even her wildest dreams couldn’t have imagined.
She’s rescued by Xan, an a blue alien who has a fondness for ‘I Love Lucy’ and a s
K.N. Timofeev
Hilarious

I don’t think I’ve laughed so hard while reading in such a long time. And I swear I already reviewed this book but apparently not.
Zack
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love sci-fi, humor, and friendships without forced romance? Need more books with queer characters who aren't sad because they're queer? Want more badass female characters who can be strong without being harsh? Need more male characters who aren’t just brimming with toxic masculinity? Desperately in search of sci-fi that isn’t a militaristic male power fantasy?

Then you'll love The Audacity!

It’s hard not to smile when reading this book. The characters are a delight, the prose is witty, the friend

• Rick
  • Last Memoria (Memoria Duology, #1)
  • Going Through the Change
  • Double-Crossing the Bridge
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • The Disasters
  • The Black Veins
  • The Sound of Stars
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Percival Gynt and the Conspiracy of Days
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Horrid
  • The Paris Hours
  • Punching the Air
  • Good Girl, Bad Girl (Cyrus Haven, #1)
  • The Christmas Pact
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Belle Révolte