Start by marking “Death In Smoke (The Cape Mysteries Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Death In Smoke (The Cape Mysteries Book 2)

Death In Smoke (The Cape Mysteries Book 2)

A bloodied body buried on Cape Cod. A cold case in Kansas.
Can Leila track down a killer?

After a blinding snowstorm, artist and amateur sleuth Leila Goodfriend wakes early in the morning for a walk in the woods to think, to escape. When she stumbles on the bloodied body of a woman buried in a snow bank, Leila digs desperately, her fingers bleed, shaking with fear, she know
Published November 5th 2019 (first published September 19th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Death In Smoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death In Smoke

Start your review of Death In Smoke (The Cape Mysteries Book 2)
Nicole (TheBookWormDrinketh)
A mystery that kept me interested with its descriptive prose, beautiful locations (which were so well described it had me looking them up), an eclectic group of characters and wonderful colour, shape and diversity. There was also an added layer to the story tying certain instances with classic songs such as the Police “Synchronicity”, “Voices Carry” by Til Tuesday, and “We Didn’t Start the Fire” by Billy Joel. All songs that I absolutely adore and which heightened the experience of the the momen ...more
Shalini
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was a long journey into the investigation. I like my mysteries snappy and filled with intrigue. This was extremely slow for me.

Overall, found it to be an okay read, struggled to finish it.
Mike Musings Book Reviews
Oct 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cosy fiction fans
Recommended to Mike by: review copy
Second in the Cape Mysteries series, the adventures of Leila and her friends continues. As I had not read the previous story, this book proved to be a suitable standalone read. Not one dead body but two leads to a journey of unravelling the mystery and connection between the crimes. A psychological thriller which was slow to begin and enjoyable enough due to the good characters and different location descriptions. I rate it as 3 stars as a gentler crime of the cosy fiction genre.
A.L. Norton
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The story started out a little slow at first but then picked up the pace. Was a great page turner. Love this series. Looks like there may be a book 3? Guess I will have to wait and see!
Tam
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gritty and intense! Complex and compelling! An edgy mystery full pulse-pounding suspense! The fast pace of the of the wildly-captivating plot kept me swiping the pages feverishly long past my bedtime.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book in order to read and provide a voluntary, unbiased and honest review, should I choose to do so.
Jessica Belmont
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read Death in Vermilion by Barbara Elle last year and was absolutely obsessed with her writing skills. I couldn’t wait to pick up Death in Smoke, and I’m super glad I did! Her writing has only gotten better since her last novel and that is a testament to her abilities as an author.

Just an aside, this is the second novel in the series, however, each novel works perfectly well as a standalone. I did enjoy reading the novels in order, just because that’s my preference in series, but that is defin
Kim Lo
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
*Book received as part of blog tour*
Death in Smoke is the second book in the Cape Mysteries Series and yet, while the main sleuth carries forward from the previous book, this mystery is pretty much a standalone with only a little bit of reference to the previous book and it makes to effort to fill in those spaces for new readers (like myself). At least its the feeling that I got here which is always good to not feel like starting in the middle of a series is an intrusion and it stands alone as i
Barbara
Nov 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Very enjoyable cozy Murder mystery. Great characters, good story. Loved the Native American history element and the description of the casino was spot on (and summed up everything I dislike about the places). Another interesting element was the view of life through an artist’s eyes. All in all a good read. I received a free copy of this book and am leaving my review voluntarily.
Claudete Takahashi
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A most interesting mystery reading where the main character follows her intuition when solving murders and is able to help the police to solve three different murders that were connected. It also speaks loudly about prejudice, gambling, and expected human behavior.
Looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
I downloaded a free copy of this book through StoryOrigin and this is my honest review.
T Olsen
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has a small plot but a huge story, as the storytelling goes on and on. Luckily, the writing is truly magnificent, so maybe it's a little silly complaining it's too much of it. Great book, but a little slow for me. ...more
Audrey Kadis
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the mystery and liked it better than the first in the series. The characters are well developed and the plot had a number of plausible surprises. I especially liked the author's background on the Kansas Indian tribe. I wonder if the author spent time on an Indian reservation &/or casino, or did a lot of research. I've been in casinos and her description is dead on from what I've seen. The author pays a lot of attention to details that really make the characters come to life, I found th ...more
Jane Hunt
Apr 08, 2020 rated it liked it

All the attributes of a murder mystery with the added dimension of psychological insight into the main protagonist. This story has a dramatic setting, eclectic characters, dry humour, and grisly murders. Leila, an artist, and amateur sleuth is a complex, relatable character.

Interesting twists enliven a simple, gently paced plot characterised by conflict and danger. This story is a fusion of cozy murder mystery and psychological suspense, character-driven, with a good sense of place and time.

I r
Myra Mcculloch
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
An entertaining who done it with a real twist.
Ciera Vaidya
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!

An amazing, detail-rich thriller. It was an incredible read from start to finish and I couldn't put it down! Wow!
Honestmamreader
Apr 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Death In Smoke is the second in the series. It's easily read as a standalone, however, I would have liked to have read the first to get a better understanding of Leila the main character.

When we first get introduced to her in Death In Smoke and she stumbled across the dead body, I was slightly confused on her role. Especially when she managed to worm her way into the autopsy. But, that little quibble aside this was a good psychological thriller that kept us guessing.

How could two dead bodies t
Mary Anne Ulrich
Feb 07, 2021 rated it did not like it
Waste of my time.

Story line jumped back and forth, up and down. It never really completed a story line or made sense to me.
Nicole
Oct 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
Very hard to complete ... just couldn’t embrace the writing style.
Loretta
rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2021
Oct 05, 2020
George Howard
Feb 15, 2021
Barbara Elle
Oct 24, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Arlene
Rob Hestar

• Strangers
  • Buried in My Past
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist (The Friend Zone, #2)
  • Dying to Confess
  • Illusive Storm
  • The Names of the Dead
  • The Authenticity Project
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)
  • The Body in the Ditch (DI Tremayne Thriller #8)
  • She Wore Mourning (Zachary Goldman Mysteries, #1)
  • Switchback (Patrick Flint #1)
  • The Heartless (Bruno Johnson, #7)
  • Stripper! (Natalie McMasters Mysteries, #1)
  • Down the Darkest Road (Cady Maddix Mystery, #2)
  • Camp Lenape (A Kahale and Claude Mystery, Book 1)
  • After You Fell
  • Honor Kills (Angelina Bonaparte Mysteries, #3)
In her stunning debut thriller, Death In Vermilion (The Cape Mysteries Book 1), acclaimed author Barbara Elle paints a clever and twisted picture of women and sisters, whose lives are entwined by a brutal murder in a Cape Cod town. Who can you trust?

Now, Death In Smoke (The Cape Mysteries Book 2) asks what's the connection between a bloodied body buried in a snow bank on a remote island off the Ca

News & Interviews