Start by marking “Bishop (True Lover's Story #1)” as Want to Read:
Bishop (True Lover's Story #1)

Bishop

(True Lover's Stories #1)

At only thirty-two, Bishop Stockley has lived a hard-knock life. His gang was his family, the streets his home. Until the crew he’d always called his brothers betrayed him. After doing five years in a federal prison, Bishop is back at his dad’s trailer and working for his landscaping company, thrust into a legit world where he’s no longer the alpha—a world where a criminal ...more
Published September 27th 2019 by Via Star Wings Books

To ask other readers questions about Bishop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bishop

Start your review of Bishop (True Lover's Story #1)
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio...4.5 stars...Yup I did enjoy Mr. Tor Thom's performance. I think I am now a fan. I don't know how it happened but I'm going with it. 😍❤

Story...4.5 stars

For the most part this was classic Via OTT goodness. What differed was the heat level.
Um...Ms. Via? What happened? I mean...tease much? My goodness talk about taking it slooooowwww. I am soooo not a fan of slooooowwww. I also find it hard to believe that a 26 year old virgin and a man recently released from jail and celebrate for 5.5 yea
Oscar
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
It took me ages to finish this I wonder why...

First of all, this is really a solid good mm romance between unlikely characters. Almost top tier to me especially when both of them spend most of their nights reading thrillers together. I love also how the characters are your unusual heroes. Edison Scala considers himself as an overweight and workaholic loser until he meets Bishop. On the other hand, Bishop Stockley, a former gang leader, is now an ex convict. But that is just the tip of the ic
Susan
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hurt-comfort, mm
I really liked this when I started. I loved both Bishop and Edison and there was enough hurt/comfort to make me very happy. But then it all slowly went downhill when Bishop’s issue became an ISSUE instead of just this thing that could have all been prevented with a good talk.

Bishop hasn’t had the best childhood. His father Mike was only 15 when he had him and even though Mike loved Bishop, he wasn’t a very good father.

Bishop dropped out of school at a young age and joined a gang. Eventually some
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
OK, this is what Edison looks like, according to Bishop:

description

Soooo, kudos for tempting me with the cover, cuz DDDAAAAYYYYMMM... I LOVE it! Want to lick and squeeze and rub up and down all over it!

BUT.

While there were some demonstrations of alpha-ness by our lovely cover model - the big bad ex-con, illiterate, landscaping guru Bishop, it seemed, as 1 reader said, EXTREMELY FAR-FETCHED some of the restraint and sensitive - I wanna wait for love sex- that this man was willing to go thru...

Edison is even
BWT (Belen)
There are few things better than a strong, yet vulnerable, alpha man who's just trying to be a good man worthy of his love, and to see him treat the man he loves right.

I absolutely love when A.E. Via writes a hurt/comfort romance, because even though I love her more action-centric books, these quieter romances just really hit the spot.

Bishop and Edison may seem like opposites, but they are completely perfect for one another. It was a pleasure to read their story.

Dual POV, with lots of hurt/com
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Special thanks to Tantor Audio for the audio CD (that I lost... I have no forking clue where it went) in exchange for an honest review!

YES! YES! YESS!

I went into this with very low expectations (which seems to have improved my experience...) First of all, I didn't think this was a gay romance. I requested this a longggggggggg time ago so I might have known it was gay as of requesting it but I completely forgot by the time I started reading it.

Because of this, I was already excited from page one
Chris
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-contemporary
This was a sweet read and not the gritty style I expect from this author. While it was a bit slow to start it certainly found some pace once Edison & Bishop connected. Looking forward to Trents book for sure - he needs lots of TLC ...more
Michael S.
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t quite decide on the star rating, so I give up; 5 stars for the overwhelming feels and the sex. The hot, messy, sweet, unpretentious sex. I love the ways the MCs found to enjoy each other, and I was completely sold on their emotional connection.

There was one relatively minor plot twist that I thought was a bit odd and overplayed for drama, but otherwise it was a smooth and relatively low-angst read given Bishop’s background in particular.

Bonus points for this book if you like superficiall
Karen
3.5 stars rounded down and one idiot stick to beat Skylar with because I really, really disliked this dude...full review to follow soonish.

After spending 5 years in jail for a crime he didn’t really commit...

Bishop’s determined not to mess up his second chance. He’s living with his dad and working at his landscape company. Bishop may not know how to read or write but if you want a landscape that’ll make you the envy of all the neighbours…Bishop’s your man.

Bishop knows that he’s got two thing
True Loveislovereview
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, 2019
It started right away with all the feelings, it touched me and I fell immediately in love.

Edison likes to take good care of himself, a few joys he has in life. He is lonely, with no real friends or a lover. It’s him and his kitchen, because besides being the boss at work, in private he loves to cook and enjoy the results. He is the nicest guy, has excellent taste, he’s kind, no harm towards others, polite and sadly people find a way to hurt him.
Bishop has a complicated relationship with his fath
Santy
O how I enjoyed this book! It was perfect for the mood I'm in currently and I couldn't put it down once I began.

Bishop and Edison were perfect for each other and I loved the slow progression of their relationship. Edison was kind, selfless and Bishop was also awesome for how he treated Edison(who wasn't the usual ripped MC in romance books). I loved the way both of these characters were written and how the whole story progressed towards they getting their HEA/solid HFN.

My only issue with the sto
Skirmish
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Book Reaction: https://neverhollowed.com/2020/04/03/...
Rating: 4 Stars – minor quibbles but I loved it to bit
Zuzu
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ku
I enjoyed this book at lot but things with evil Skylar got a bit OTT.

I'm definitely interested in Book 2.
Nile Princess
Mannnnn, it's over. Noooooo. I read as slowly as I could. My babies!! I LOVVVVEEEED Bishop and Edison. Bishop is book boyfriend material for sure. He was such a hot, sexy, GOOD man. A talented landscaper now working with his dad's company, after having served five years in prison, Bishop is determined to never see the inside of another jail cell. It's upwards and onwards for my boo. I liked that the author showcased Bishop's relationship with his best friend Trent, and his determination to do be ...more
Anna Torres
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you are meant to be with someone....

As first meetings go, theirs was as intense as you could expect!

Two men who deeply felt that somehow they were lacking. Two men who really had nothing in common at first glance but deep down they are as similar as any two men could be.

Bishop has had a shitty upbringing, due in part to his very young father and his personal choices. But having experienced a harsh wake-up call, he is now determined to make himself better, to make his life better. He has a s
Bo
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Completely Unexpected

There could not be a more theoretically incompatible couple than Bishop and Edison, and yet here we have a sterling, beautifully written and sensibly plotted romance that not only makes you smile (even through the angsty parts) but also makes you believe.

Read the blurb. Look at the cover, which is, of course, Bishop from the rear. No imagination needed, you don't even kneed to see his face to know what he looks like.

Then pay attention to each time author Via describes Ediso
Fani *loves angst*
DNF at 50%

This started out well, with a shy and slightly overweight hero and a bad boy who wants to turn his life around, only to land in cheese territory with both feet and firmly stay there. My main problem was Edison's character, he was so insecure and weak at 26, that it felt as if he was a minor. I'm sure at some point Bishop's love will give him the strength needed to develop a spine, but it's taking too long, and meanwhile his interactions with Bishop or his own employees are cringe worth
~BookNeeds~
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read! Bishop and Edison are adorable. What a fairytale type romance. It had some angst but mostly a whole bunch of sweetness. Can’t wait for the follow up.
Bethan
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually doing reviews now instead of just rating
I'm going through a bit of a book binge this month as just graduated from Uni...so packing in the books before work starts!!

description

Really really loved this book and the slow build up was so nice. It took time to actually get to know the characters and their struggles. While I love insta-love stories, I also like slow build romances where you get to see the main characters build their relationship.

Bishop and Edison were so so cute together - especiall
Taylor | LostinReadingRomance
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
description
This was my first book by A.E. Via but after finishing this I already went looking for more.

One of my favorite things about the story was the characters. I felt like these were really well written people. They had real issues and weren't your typical leading character types. It was refreshing.

Edison and Bishop were from very different worlds with very different backgrounds yet they still found things to connect on beyond just physical attraction. Even in things they considered flaws in themselv
Lia
Jul 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has two appealing men. Except it's also full of small inconsistencies that pulled me out of the story over and over.

There is no such crime as "strong-armed robbery". There is no such charge as "mastermind". A court will not order an IQ test for a robbery suspect, unless the accused is claiming not guilty by reason of mental incompetence. Even then it would be the defense doing so (and almost certainly not a public defender for a mere robbery charge - they don't have the enthusiasm or
Cee Brown
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: abc-reads
¸.•´¸🌟*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.🌟¨*.¸¸.•`¤Even from opposite backgrounds...they felt like kindred spirits.¤★¨*.¸¸.*ˑ˞★

I am so overwhelmed I don't even know what to say. As many of you know, A.E.Via is my author queen. This woman can write and for each time, she sucks me into the world she has created and keeps me glued to my seat.

So, imagine my frustration when I received this book just before I walked out of the door for a three week vacation. No, not a sit down and relax vacation, but one that meant almo
WhimsicalWords
This book had so much potential! Now, I'm not trying to be picky; I did like this one, but had a lot of issues as well. I really liked the MCs, and side characters, and everything up until the drama with Skylar came in. I felt like his character, and even Bishop's ex boyfriend's drama scenes could have been cut entirely.
I kept expecting there to be a scene with Edison grooming Bishop with the straight razor too. His love for using it was mentioned several times, and I think that would have been
Angie
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy to read and review for Wicked Reads

I am a huge fan of this author, and I was excited to read this one. The blurb grabbed my attention and I couldn't wait to dive in. For me this book started slow and never really picked up speed. It wasn't the normal story we normally see from this author, which is fine, it just missed the mark for me personally. Bishop and Edison made a good couple, but I didn't feel the deep connection that I wanted to feel. I hated how Bishop didn't tel
llv

Rating: 4.5 stars
When a friend lent me a copy of this book, I wasn’t sure I was going to like it. I couldn’t have been more wrong. I loved this book. I loved both Bishop and Edison. I really liked that Edison was slightly over-weight and wasn’t the typical perfect specimen that we usually get in these books. I liked that even though he didn’t have friends and a social life, he was confident in his work environment and wasn’t afraid to stand up for himself when needed. I also loved how even thoug
JB
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
That was one unnecessary long BIG mess of a book.

The story is riddled with inconsistencies that are not worth pointing all out but it did not read genuine.

An illiterate guy from the projects would not talk like that and you would expect him to face a lot more day-to-day difficulties.

An illiterate guy who wants to better himself would also not twiddle his thumbs in prison for 5 years but take basic writing courses offered inside.

The twists with the nasty coworker were completely and utterly f
Lori
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was kind of sweetness and light with a villain thrown in for good measure. I loved Bishop and Edison's relationship. Bishop was so kind and gentle for such a big gruff guy and Edison was just a gentle soul.

I expected one guy to be a villain but someone else stepped into that role and even though it was a little over the top, it still made for some good tension.

I am highly looking forward to book 2!
Dara Nelson
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-blog
I adore this author but this story fell a little flat for me. It was slow to get through and at times really unbelievable. Every moment of angst was just too predictable. Bishop was broody and frustrating, Edison was nerdy but just too naive to be believable. It was okay but not a wow for me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• NautiCal (Forever Wilde, #8)
  • Screwed (Four Bears Construction, #4)
  • Hard Knox (Havenwood #3)
  • Hardwood (Four Bears Construction, #3)
  • Lie with Me (Stonewall Investigations Miami #2)
  • Heteroflexible (Spruce Texas Romance, #3)
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas
  • Heart2Heart: A Charity Anthology, Volume 3
  • Running from My Heart (Rock Bottom #3)
  • Pieces of You (Missing Pieces, #1)
  • Say You’ll Be Nine (Say You'll Be Nine, #1)
  • Griff's Place (Havenwood #4)
  • Caring for Little Ollie (Different Hearts, #1)
  • Hunter's Creek (Hunter's Creek #1)
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour, #1)
  • You'll Know in Your Heart (The Gods Made Me Do It #7)
  • Alpha Home (J.T's Bar #3)
  • Life According to Liam
A.E. Via is an author in the beautiful gay romance genre and also founder and owner of Via Star Wings Books. Her writing embodies everything from hopelessly romantic to spicy to scandalous. Her stories often include intriguing edges and twists that take readers to new, thought-provoking depths.

When she's not clicking away at her laptop, she devotes herself to her family--a husband and four childre

True Lover's Stories (2 books)
  • Wood (True Lover's Stories, #2)