Start by marking “Batman: Last Knight on Earth” as Want to Read:
Batman: Last Knight on Earth

Batman: Last Knight on Earth

(Batman: Last Knight On Earth #1-3)

New York Times best-selling author Scott Snyder reunites with Dark Nights: Metal artist Greg Capullo for their final Batman epic. Twenty years in the future Bruce Wayne wakes up in Arkham Asylum. Young. Sane. And...he's never been Batman.

So begins this sprawling tale of the Dark Knight as he embarks on a quest through a devastated DC landscape featuring a massive cast of f
Published April 7th 2020 by DC Black Label

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Gbolahan I think that would be unlikely. Magic is returning, I think they would want to take a crack at helping them. I mean, it's what any normal superhero wo…moreI think that would be unlikely. Magic is returning, I think they would want to take a crack at helping them. I mean, it's what any normal superhero would do. Solve problems.

And also cos maybe that superhero could just be the next victim of the flesh-eating tornado. 😂

So, yeah, it'd be daft for them to ignore a wild problem like that. (less)

Start your review of Batman: Last Knight on Earth
Sam Quixote
Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, the celebrated creative team behind New 52 Batman, reunite once more for another adventure with the same character in Last Knight on Earth.

What’s it about? That’s a tough one. Nothing, really. It’s a mass of half-baked ideas thrown together that doesn’t add up to anything memorable or compelling. Snyder’s no longer capable of writing a coherent singular narrative - all he’s got are half-stories that go nowhere and mean nothing.

So the first part is about how Bruce
Chad
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, hoopla
Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo write the last Batman story. Not their last Batman story as I'm sure he'll be in their sequel to Dark Nights: Metal, but the final Batman story that leads to his death so to speak. It pulls in elements of both their New 52 Batman run and Synder's Justice League. Set 20 years in the future on a post-apocalyptic Earth, Batman makes his way back to Gotham to stop Omega from using the anti-life equation. You don't really need to know more than that.

The art team of Greg
Gianfranco Mancini

Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns will be always the ultimate last Batman story for me, but this post-apocalyptic tale from Snyder and Capullo was a surprising funny good read.

It had an hell of a start, with a Bruce Wayne innmate in Arkham finding out his past as Batman was just a delusion, then it was like Snyder understood this storyline was not much original at all and turned it into something very different.

Final result was a sometimes messed hit and miss Mad Max dark future style Elseworld
Juho Pohjalainen
Dec 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe my preconceptions and first impressions tainted the story for me. I was led to believe that this would be a story of Batman having been an Arkham Asylum patient all along, his entire life story nothing but delusions, none of his villains or his sidekicks ever existing, and so forth. Given how he himself has always teetered on the brink of sanity, and how the entire premise of everything to do about Batman is honestly kind of crazy if you stop to think about it for a few seconds, this was a ...more
Paul E. Morph
While it had a couple of nice moments, and the art was fine, overall this was a bit of a mess. The plot was all over the place, often incoherent and nonsensical. The best part of this book was the colouring and that’s never a good sign.
James DeSantis
Last Knight is the "final" part of Snyder's batman run. Till that new metal part 2 event comes.

I thank Snyder for getting me into batman. His new 52/black mirror run made me a Batman fan and then read all the older Batman and newer stuff too. So he'll always be cool in my book.

But his recent Batman output has been meh. Some good stuff like Batman who Laughs worked but Metal, No justice, and even his Justice League and All Star Batman vary from shit to okay.

Anyway, enough rambling. You wanna k
Alexander Peterhans
Ugh, no. Seems to go on forever, and weirdly pretentious. Characters don't behave like themselves (Joker, Jim Gordon, etc). ...more
Logan
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really awesome story and a great end to Snyder's time on Batman! So the story has Batman investigate a mystery around crime alley, only for him to wake up in a dark future, where most of the Justice League is dead and an evil Batman-like character calling himself Omega has taken over. I didn't really know what to expect from this story but it ended up being a really good Elseworlds, Old man Logan type story for Batman. Snyder did a great job crafting a gripping story and Capullo's art is some ...more
Rod Brown
A bloated mess of a book that serves up a dumb Batman/Joker road trip mixed with clones, a post-apocalypse dystopia, and Jack Kirby's Fourth World crap.

Why does this exist?

p.s. I forgot to mention when I first reviewed this book, but based on the cover with its green Batman logo and what appears to be a lantern in Batman's hand, I opened the book totally convinced it was going to be about Batman becoming a member of the Green Lantern Corps. So wrong!
Jamie Connolly
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Like everything else Scott Snyder has written for DC these last couple of years, this was garbage. Does he realize that people don't like books that don't make any sense? Someone needs to take this guys keys away until he sobers up. He is so damn talented and has some of the best ideas in comics but insists on incoherence in the name of pushing boundaries and expanding possibilities. I want to know why people are rating this higher than 3 stars. This is really better than the average book you've ...more
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I am a somewhat new Batman
Comic fan. Highly recommend this for both Batman fans and for those who rarely or never read comics. I love the artwork. The story is, in my limited experience, unconventional or untraditional for Batman. Simply fantastic. Just wow. If it helps my other favorite storyline so far is the White Knight. Every panel is beautiful.
David Turko
I think I'm done with Scott Snyder's works on batman. The story started off so strong with great writing, and a creepy atmosphere I loved it. But soon after that everything went bonkers to the point where the book became a cliche and disappointment. Greg's drawings are amazing as usual he's always at the top of his game. But I think Snyder needs to take a break from batman. The stories he writes now are no where near as amazing as they were five years ago. ...more
Bookwraiths
It’s always a bad sign when a story starts out great then gradually gets less and less interesting. Unfortunately, Last Knight on Earth fit that trajectory perfectly and ended exactly as expected — with a whimper. What made that so disappointing was the story had such a promising beginning: Batman perplexed by a chalk line drawing case (Not kidding. Bats is obsessed with someone drawing chalk lines on city streets.) then taken by surprise at an unexpected twist only to wake up in Arkham Asylum: ...more
Rory Wilding
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
After decades of Batman stories across various mediums, everyone has their own idea about what the Caped Crusader is about — more specifically, everyone has their own idea about how their version of Batman’s story would end. When it comes to comics, while The Dark Knight Returns is the one most readers would look at — even if the diminishing sequels don’t do justice to that comic’s legacy — writers like Grant Morrison show that the Bat’s end is just as interpretative as the character himself, as ...more
Chris Greensmith
"You know what I haven't forgotten Bruce? What I cant forget? The cheers as my bones broke, the laughter. I remember a father helping his son cut pieces off me to keep, and near the end, I remember a little girl kneeling, maybe seven years old, near me. I had no tongue, no teeth, but I tried to tell her to go hide...she set me on fire, it took her six tries."
This started so well the first 2 issues were well written, intriguing, creepy, and I loved them, the art was beautiful and this last is
Chris Lemmerman
Last Knight On Earth is Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's apparent Batman swan song, which is...unfortunate.

I've read plenty of Elseworld/What If?/The End type future storylines to know where this one was going before it got there. Plenty of characters dying, lots of 'shock' reveals about how characters have gone evil in the interim between this story and the present day DC universe, all that stuff. It's not new, or original, and those are two things I've always associated with Snyder and Capullo.
Shaun Stanley
Last Knight on Earth is another series that wasn’t anything like I thought it was. I seem to remember all the hype about this book focusing on the Joker/Batman relationship. While the book does include that, it isn’t near as central to the story as made to believe (which is sad because they are the best part of the book). The story starts strong, takes a swerve in the first issue and continues to be mediocre until a decently satisfying conclusion. There are some interesting scenes through the bo ...more
Kyle Berk
Batman: Last Knight on Earth is a love song, an idealistic cap, and love letter between Snyder and his team (Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo, Jonathan Glapion, and FCO Plascencia) and the idea of Batman. It is not the end of Scott Snyder working with the character Batman as his work on Justice League continues to utilize the character and he will have a role in the upcoming sequel to Metal: Death Metal, but this is the thematic and ideal cap to the writing he did for the character.

Snyder has said in
Dan
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked most of this but had to dock this two stars due to some nitpicks that really frustrates me and I couldn’t get over:

1) Snyder has a knack for writing forced feeling metaphors that make sense in his head and don’t make sense to anyone else or map onto reality. There’s one group of lines in the second book I reread five times and gave up trying to figure out what the hell he was trying to say.

2) Snyder also had a couple motivations or reveals in this that felt really thin or didn’t make se
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

Sometimes you build a bond so deep with someone that your minds connect on a cosmic level unattainable to the common mortal. Through hardship and success, you learn to perfect your communication with this other being and almost make it seem like it was an innate and natural ability passed along by the Gods of Creativity and Innovation. Within the comic book industry, such partnerships have come and gone throughout time, leaving behind countless
Abbey
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trippy as all get out. Fully Scott Snyder to its core and I loved every moment of it.

Now, if he would make a full story out of that first chapter I would be all for it.
Anthony
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: batman
I did enjoy this more on rereading. I might have been a little too harsh the first time due to the high expectations set down by the creators.

It's a fun, Post-apocalyptic-esque story of the final stand of Snyders Batman, full of callbacks and Easter eggs to his and Capullos run.

I think the highlight of the book for me was the buddy-road trip vibe parts of it had with The Joker and Batman. Done much better here than in his first arc of All-Star

This is worth checking out though. If only for the a
Will Robinson Jr.
Jan 05, 2021 rated it liked it
Batman becomes his own worst enemy. A lot of heroes die and Joker gains a conscience. All this and more happen in what is ultimately a story I found just okay. The weird thing is I really got into Batman because of Snyder & Capullo's epic run. But really feel that Snyder's storytelling lately is best fit for horror or Elseworlds style DC books. The truth is as great as the Court of the Owls and Death of the family arcs were in Snyder's early Batman run there are cracks in his story crafting armo ...more
Michael J.
While I enjoyed the art immensely, the story was a mess. Greg Capullo's amazing illustrations lift this above the mediocre and is the only reason I rated this as high as three stars.
Scott Snyder's story is all over the place and meanders around before finally settling into an Elseworlds-like setting with alternate and/or aged versions of Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter and the Batman family of super-heroes. Batman/Bruce Wayne (or is it a different version of him entirely?) has to defeat the Om
Gbolahan
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 parts to this book.

Stayed up till past 1am reading it. Hooked, I tell ya.

Book was good in its totality. Damn. And sad.

Had to go through it all over again a few days after, I had some nitpicking to do, apparently.

Joker kept me laughing. That dude. They kept on interrupting his penis jokes. 🤣
Wait. That's what those were supposed to be, weren't they? 🌚
Is it like he's just very easy to write or Snyder is a sort of genius?

It was obvious who Omega was going to be. And I must say, I can't help but
Blindzider
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Well...it's ok. Snyder lost me about halfway through his monthly Batman run and by the end I had pretty much soured on his writing.

Since this was some months after that run and was going to be the duo's swan song on this character, I was hoping it was going to be really good.

It starts off well, making it evident there's a mystery about what's really going on. The devotion and love between Bruce and Alfred are made quite clear, which I did like. The middle part started to drag, constantly hinting
Mike

Bruce Wayne wakes up in Arkham Asylum with no memory of how he got there. Not only that, but everyone around him says he's never been Batman, that it was just a delusion.

Not convinced, Wayne dons a cowl and sets off to find out what happened. He'll cross the wastelands of an Earth where all the heroes are gone and the villains have been beaten into submission by some unseen force. He carries the disembodied head of the Joker on the journey, cringing at its wisecracks.

This is a solid tale of a he
Peter Looles
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: batman
"Batman: The Last Knight on Earth"
Batman has created a machine that creates one Batman every generation. This Batman has all the memories of the previous ones, but he's young. The new Batman is born to a world of chaos. Alfred tries to save him from this world by making him believe that he's crazy, but eventually he finds out the truth, which is that society is destroyed. He goes to a journey with the living head of Joker to find the remaining heroes and save the word.
This is definitely a very
Zane Carl
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the first two books and cannot not wait for book 3! So far DC black label has offered a stylish, sleek and mature look at their comics. With just Batman Damned, Curse of white knight and LKOE I have to say Snyder helms over all three. Its funny, sad and realtable. But most of all quick. Scott Snyder can create an entire epic adventure in just 3 issues while still tying into his own universe of Court of Owls and Metal.
Of course Capullo never disappoints. But with the over sized
Dan
Oct 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I thought this was pretty average. It felt weird for the first half if this I wasn't sure where they were going with this. But it could have been fleshed out a bit more. Like if they had shown how it had gotten to this point instead of telling the reader this event happened and that's why it is what it is....blah ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Batman: Three Jokers
  • Batman: Curse of the White Knight
  • Joker: Killer Smile
  • DCeased
  • Batman: Universe
  • DCeased: The Unkillables
  • Batman, Volume 12: City of Bane, Part 1
  • Batman/Superman, Vol. 1: Who are the Secret Six?
  • Batman, Volume 13: City of Bane, Part 2
  • Doomsday Clock, Part 2
  • Event Leviathan
  • Batman, Vol. 2: The Joker War
  • Batman: Creature of the Night
Scott Snyder is the Eisner and Harvey Award winning writer on DC Comics Batman, Swamp Thing, and his original series for Vertigo, American Vampire. He is also the author of the short story collection, Voodoo Heart, published by the Dial Press in 2006. The paperback version was published in the summer of 2007.

Batman: Last Knight On Earth (3 books)
  • Batman: Last Knight on Earth (2019) #1