Start by marking “First Edition Murder (Sandie James #1)” as Want to Read:
First Edition Murder (Sandie James #1)

First Edition Murder

(Sandie James #1)

When a lavish wedding reception ends with a bang of the gruesome kind, caterer Sandie James must turn amateur detective to save her dad from prison.

For Sandie James, fresh out of graduate school with a degree in Literature, employers aren’t exactly lining up. To make ends meet, she works at her sister’s bakery in their cozy little corner of uptown Brooklyn. When a custome
Published July 29th 2019

To ask other readers questions about First Edition Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Edition Murder

Start your review of First Edition Murder (Sandie James #1)
Cheryl
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the series and the first time reading this author. The main character is Sandie and her dad is suspected of murder. Sandie and her brother Will , who is a cop , try to figure out what really happened. But before they get to far someone else is killed. Can she figure out who the real killer is and what really happened ?
Barbara Hackel
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this fast moving murder story with a lot of close family concerns within. Characters were well developed and believable. I loved how the detective brother treated his sister as an equal instead of going ballistic about her "interfering" as happens in many books. Well written with plenty of suggestive leads (ok, red herrings) and interesting side stories. I am delighted the second book is already available, because I definitely need to see where things go next! There is a gro ...more
Jean Hall
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well written story and likeable characters.
Sue
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-challenge
Sandie James is back in town and helping her sister with a catering gig for a very lavish wedding reception. All goes well until her dad barges in and picks a fight with the bride’s ex-husband over a rare book. It appears they both had bid earlier in the day on a first edition Raymond Chandler mystery and her dad was outbid. This frustrates him as this is the second time that he has been outbid for a rare book by the same gentlemen.

Things go from bad to worse when later in the evening the ex-hus
Krystyna
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pride comes before a fall

A really good read just a shame that I pegged the real culprit from the beginning. Wasn't sure how they had done it but was positive I had the right person. But the plot was well crafted and had some great twists and turns to it as well as a good supply of suspects and all with a motive that could have very well turned them into a killer. The characters are as varied as the seasons and meld well into the storyline making it come alive.
Since she finished her degree she's
Jamie Jack
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: p-2019, mystery
This is the first mystery that I have read by this author, and I am glad to have found her. Even though this book is relatively short for mystery, the author still managed to surprise me with the ending. That doesn't happen often, so I enjoy it when it does! I like the way the author described scenes and settings. I felt like I was in the room with the main character. The characters were well drawn and feel like real people. I loved being in the head of the main character. She is completely rela ...more
Jodi Sweet
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was able to get into this book right away. The writing flowed and the characters were very real lifelike to me. Especially Sandie, who had the issues with wear heels and her feet hurting. I cannot wear heels either! With a family member being blamed for a murder, she jumps right in to prove his innocence. My only issue with the book was when the author put in that the only reason a 50 year old would have to make a will was for health reasons. If a person has children then a will should be the ...more
Patricia Gligor
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading "First Edition Murder," the first book in the Sandie James Cozy Mystery series, by Tessa Kelly. The book had all the elements of a first-rate cozy mystery: an intriguing plot, a realistic setting and, most important to me, a likeable main character. The author did a great job of providing readers with several suspects and, although I had my suspicions, I didn't know "whodunit" until the end of the book. ...more
Pat Eroh
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful and fun cozy mystery with to protagonist just helping her sister provide a cake for a wedding. Of course, a murder must happen and her father now needs her help. You could read all of that under the title (sorry). I loved this story because I love the characters and it is written so well! I am looking forward to Book 2.

Mary
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I found the characters very realistic and the story was well written. The family relationships rang very true. There were enough twists and turns to keep me guessing until the end.

Nadine
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A really good read!

There’s a new Philip Marlowe in town and she’s called Sandie.

Easy-to-read, easy to get into, I want more. I really liked it. Very lighthearted, which I love. Well-written, which is so important. It flowed well. And Sandie, the main character, is smart, which I really like in a murder mystery. The case is clever too, full of twists and turns, and I didn’t guess the murderer right, so it wasn’t too easy to solve. The setting is not a small town, but the book does have that sma
Sandra Hernandez
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love how the character has the same first name as me. In this series she wants to use her degree in literature but no jobs have come up so she works in her sisters bakery Kate. While catering a wedding the brides ex husband is found dead by Sandra dad who was arguing with the deceased earlier. So of course with her detective brother Will she must solve the case. Another murder occurs and this makes her even more determined to solve the case. With her dads help she is able to find the killer an ...more
Elsbeth
It was a bit tough getting into this book, because there are so many characters. I kept thinking: who was this again?
But the story is good and well written. I really liked it!
Oh, one thing: Sandie takes her father's dog for a walk early in the morning. And then he isn't in the picture for the rest of the day. Until, at 9.30 pm, she comes home. Poor creature: no walkies for about 15 hours!? That sounds like animal abuse...
But, I AM looking forward to reading the next book!
I received a copy from
Jeanne
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First Edition Murder is the 1st book in the Sandie James Cozy Mystery Series by Tessa Kelly.

This is the first book I’ve read by Tessa Kelly and I really enjoyed it. I like the closeness of Sandie, Will, Kathy, and their dad. There are a lot of interesting characters in the book.

I figured out who did it and how early on, but it didn’t take away from the story.

I received this book as a gift and I am voluntarily reviewing it.
Cozy Mystery Fan
Jun 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
First Edition Murder is a good book. It tells the story of how Sandy and her family react to her dad being accused of murder. I liked the characters, the feeling of family, and the story. Started a bit slow, but in the end I couldn’t put it down until I finished it at 3am!
Eirlys
Jun 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Entertaining

I enjoyed reading about Sandy and her family. It was funny and dramatic, which gave it a little more suspense. I liked the characters who were interesting and believable.
Anne Kavcic
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very good read - just enough excitement, good writing and characters. Other things are happening in the people's lives, and it will be interesting to see how these situations develop too. The 2-chapter preview ends on a most intriguing cliffhanger - I will definitely read the next book! ...more
Lizabeth Tarr
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read

This was my first time reading this author and really enjoyed getting to know the characters, their growing relationships, and Sandie's personal growth and ability to solve mysteries!
Shawna Shaheen
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Did her dad really murder Sonny over a rare book? You have to find out
Marcia
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good whodunit. Looking forward to the next one.
Christine Hayes
Apr 25, 2020 rated it liked it
was good
Karla
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Good mystery

Very enjoyable story in a new setting and a variety of interesting characters. I was surprised by the culprit at the end, I was sure it was someone else!
Naznin Azeez
Oct 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I really love this author. Her way of writing is endearing and her characters are portrayed nicely. Loved this amateur mystery.
Vicki Wicka
Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Don't miss out on the author

Tessa Kelly has me hooked! The depth of her characters is amazing and the story is so interesting. I was surprised at the outcome.
Helen
Jul 10, 2021 rated it liked it
I found the lack of proper procedure distracting but likable characters.
bex
Feb 27, 2021 rated it liked it
Low 3

The mystery is okay, but I never felt any connection to the main character. I guess it is more focused on the plotcand doesn't get as deep as I prefer.
Laney Kaye
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to read an ARC of this delightful cozy mystery. The characters are well-fleshed out, and there's enough romantic intrigue (with two potential contenders!) to make me hope there's a second book on it's way soon!

Oh, and no...I didn't guess whodunnit!

A great new addition to the genre, I'll be eager to read more of Ms Kelly's work!

GENEVIEVE HAYES
Oct 24, 2019
Kathy Blankenship
Feb 04, 2020
Karina Bridget
Jun 12, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Brim Reaper: A Samantha Kidd Mystery (The Samantha Kidd Mysteries Book 3)
  • Oven Baked Secrets (Eugeena Patterson Mysteries #2)
  • Pancakes and Poison (A Traveling Town Mystery Book 1)
  • Then There Were Nun (Nun of Your Business Mysteries, #1)
  • Buyer, Beware: A Samantha Kidd Mystery (The Samantha Kidd Mysteries Book 2)
  • Some Like It Haute: A Samantha Kidd Mystery (The Samantha Kidd Mysteries Book 4)
  • Pearls Gone Wild: A Samantha Kidd Mystery (The Samantha Kidd Mysteries Book 6)
  • Sit for a Spell (The Kitchen Witch, #3)
  • Poodle Versus the Assassin
  • A Page of Murder (A Seabreeze Bookshop Cozy Mystery Book 1)
  • Tear Down and Die (Cara Mia Delgatto Mystery #1)
  • The Case of the Missing Letter (Inspector David Graham #5)
  • Black Cat Crossing: A Collection of 11 Cozy Mysteries to Celebrate Halloween
  • Potent Potions (Pet Potions Mystery #1)
  • Fingerprint Flowers
  • Vanilla Vengeance (Cupcake Crimes, #1)
  • Pastrami Murder (Darling Deli, #1)
  • The Perfect Brew (Perfect Brew #1)
A former teacher with a degree in French, Tessa spent several years living in an uptown Brooklyn neighborhood, frequenting its many cafes and coffee shops and getting to know it from the inside and out. During her undergrad years, she has worked at a bakery just like the one depicted in her novel, where she developed a lifelong fondness for cheesecake brownies.

These days, when not writing, she lo

Sandie James (5 books)
  • The Deadly Art (Sandie James #2)
  • Don't Rock the Boat! (Sandie James #3)
  • Written to Death (Sandie James #4)
  • A Lovely Kind of Murder (Sandie James #5)

News & Interviews

One of the great pleasures of historical fiction is the time-travel element. In the hands of a skilled author, works of historical fiction can...