Start by marking “Josefina Story Collection [With 3 Mini Paper Dolls with 2 Mini Scenes]” as Want to Read:
Josefina Story Collection [With 3 Mini Paper Dolls with 2 Mini Scenes]

Josefina Story Collection [With 3 Mini Paper Dolls with 2 Mini Scenes] (American Girls: Josefina #1-6)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  2,659 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Josefina and her sisters have been struggling ever since Mama died a year ago. When Mama's sister, Tia Dolores, comes to live on their rancho, the girls are overjoyed. At last, they have someone to help and teach them as Mama used to. Tia Dolores has lots of new ideas, too! When Papa's sheep are killed in a flood, Tia Dolores comes up with the idea to start a weaving busin ...more
Published July 28th 2005 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published 1998)

Christina Baehr
We listened to these on our road trip, and I was pleasantly surprised by their wholesomeness. Josefina is a less conventional heroine than many of her AG peers. She's actually interested in serving her family and community and developing her gifts in a thoughtful and wise way, rather than just running off with a horse or wishing she was a boy (Felicity?!). I was also surprised by how positively (Roman Catholic) faith was portrayed. As usual, the illustrations are just lovely. I appreciated the S ...more
Taylor Munson
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was younger I loved this book as well. I thought that Josefina's stories in particular were amazing. I believe I loved how she truly did embrace a completely different culture than I did. It was nice to be young and to see how people lived in different circumstances. When I re-read this book, I loved to remember her stories and how dedicated to her family she was. These American Girl Doll Books are great books for kids to learn about different cultures and people.
Arwen
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Josefina is my favorite American Girls Club doll. It's probably because she's from New Mexico. So when I saw the books at a garage sale I knew I had to have them. And they lived up to their promise.
Kezzie and books
As a little girl. I was opposed with American Girl. I still really enjoy the stories. American Girl really got me into reading. I started American Girl when I was 9. I loved them ever since.
Doeringmj
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And reading the series again now for the 3rd time:)
Kimberly
Personal reaction: I love these books! Josefina is such a wonderful character and the events that take place in her books are exciting and enjoyable to read.

Purposes: This would be an independent read for grades 2nd-4th. Girls would particularly enjoy these books and relate to them because Josefina is a 10 year old girl. This book could be used in a realistic fiction unit, or in historical fiction. Josefina lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico in 1824 and her stories would be a great way to teach diver
Chelsea Gouin
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Josefina is an American Girl living in New Mexico before it was considered part of the United States. Though there was little historical events depicted in Josefina's stories, there was a lot of cultural customs explored. Josefina is a shy yet hopeful 9 year old at the start of her adventures who recently lost her Mama. She has three sisters who can't seem to get along and her Papa is doing his best to run the rancho and raise the girls right. Luckily their Tia Dolores agrees to move in and help ...more
Melissa
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-version
***Book on CDs***
I did not expect an American Girl series to be so historical and authentic. This is a fun series about a Mexican American girl and her culture. The setting is authentically described and the Spanish words add to the authenticity. The back of the book will certainly help the students as there is a dictionary with the meanings of the words. Josefina has a great relationship with her family and displays the importance of family in the Mexican American community. This is a great ser
Nicole
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth-literature
My daughter moved from the little house books to this volume of American girl books. She has really enjoyed this story about a 10 year old New Mexican girl and her family after the death of their mother. After reading the books, I found a copy of the audio book at the library and she is listening to it constantly. I'm not excited about the whole American Girl branding phenomenon but the history and innocence of the stories are great.
Myra
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so happy to read these after the Felicity series, and to find that the good old wonderful values I found in the Kaya series had returned. These values kind of got skipped in Felicity, but they are wonderfully strong in Josefina.

I will be very glad to read this series to my daughter this fall for our Liberty Girls club, and there will be so many wonderful values, principles and experiences to talk about.
Rachel
I like this series of books better than I thought I would. Josephina is the youngest of four sisiters and their mother died just a year ago when the stories start. The author was sure to put in quite a few elements of Josephina's Catholic faith. I found it quite interesting that children were taught to be seen and not heard in Josephina's culture; so different from today. I also appreciated the glossary at the back with definitions for all the Spanish words used.
Julie Doherty
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this (entire collection) to the girls. They love it- and so do I! There are great historical lessons as well as life lessons to be learned in this series. It also helps supplement the Spanish we are attempting to learn!

Update: Finished the whole Josefina collection and we all loved it. Josefina is a fine example of a hard-working young lady with manners, curiosity and joy for life. I highly recommend it to all girls!
Railee
Feb 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls ages 8-12
Josefina was MY American Girl. Each of my sisters had a favorite and she was mine. The most magical day of my childhood was when I got the doll of her for my birthday (nevermind that she later became my worst fear because I could have sworn that she stared at me at night and moved of her own accord). I read her books over and over again.
Sally
Feb 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, chapter-book
Read this with daughter for a homeschool group. Sweet stories.

rereading with DD2 December16-January17. She enjoys them more than I hoped she would, considering she's smitten with the Goddess Girls books, blech. I enjoy the touching on real life issues, yet couching them gently enough for a young girl to not be overwhelmed.
Amanda
Josefina was always my sisters favorite, while I found her quiet and boring. However, in this lovely edition it was easy to reconnect with Josefina and her personality. Tripp does a great job with any of her American Girl books, creating well rounded and interesting characters that have withstood the test of time.
Madison Rademacher
Josefina was definately my favorite. I had her doll. I never realized it but i guess I really do like westerns. Its all about the frontier for me. & the southwest. I always have a thing for the southwest. The combination of native american and spanish culture is just so rich in tradition. I dunno theres just something about it. But yeah Joesfina was it for me
RLL22016Mirella Carreno
Josefina was one of my daughter American Girl. Josefina was very adventurous and she loves nature and flowers. She saved her friend from a rattlesnake bit. She lives with her sisters and her father. Her mother just died and her Tia came to live with them. Totally love this book and I read it in Spanish!
Kelley
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jewell-s-books
Reviewed by my seven-year-old daughter: Josefina was very adventurous and she loves nature and flowers. She saved her friend from a rattlesnake bit. She wants to be a healer and she loves to help people. She lives with her sisters and her father. Her mother just died and her Tia came to live with them.
Cindy Clarke
Read these for Lauren's Liberty Girls Club. Cute story, simple messages, fun ideas/activities to make history come alive. Good independent reading for 7-10 yr old girls. Courage, overcoming grief, accepting changes, spinning, weaving, Spanish Christmas traditions, sheep care, gardening/flowers, etc
Rachael
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-kids
We loved this book on tape, too! I really liked that Josefina isn't your typical strong-willed heroine you see so often these days. She's soft spoken and timid at times, but full of heart and determination. She's happy to follow in her family's traditions, which I also liked.
Julie
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These were believable and action-packed. The characters are well developed and not so stock that they're completely predictable. We're studying Spanish this year for homeschool, so the Spanish character-names and place-names were a fun bonus.
Amy
We have only read the Felecity series but Bea wanted to try more. We read this and the 2nd book in the series. They were depressing -- so much of the plot hinges on their grief over the mom's death. Bea was not liking them so we didn't continue in the series.
MaryRachel
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are some of my favorite American Girl books. In Josefina: An American Girl, you learn a lot of things about Mexico and in the back is a glossary with the Spanish words they use in the books and what they mean. I would recommend this to anyone!!!
Carol Hardesty
One thing I liked about the American Girls was how diverse they were. Despite all of the stories taking place in America, each of the girls had a different ethnicity and individuality that set them apart. For Josefina, it was her Latina heritage and old-fashioned yet broad-minded way of life.
Miss Clark
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kristine
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed these short stories and can't wait for my girls to be old enough.
Hannah
May 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally love this book and I read it in Spanish! Sometimes I have to look up words and so it humbles me to know that have the Spanish vocabulary of a young girl!
Jun 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: six and up
Shelves: 2009
This American Girl series book was surprisingly well written and does a good job of describing this time and culture.
Sara
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second reading 1/15
Elise
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read, good stories, educational.
  • Kaya: An American Girl : 1764 / Box Set
  • Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)
  • Rebecca: An American Girl (Rebecca #1-6)
  • Julie: An American Girl (American Girls: Julie, #1-6)
  • Meet Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #2)
  • Welcome to Felicity's World · 1774: Growing Up in Colonial America (American Girls Collection)
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • Trouble at Fort Lapointe (American Girl History Mysteries, #7)
  • Marie-Grace Makes a Difference (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #5)
  • Under Copp's Hill (American Girl History Mysteries, #8)
  • The Night Flyers (American Girl History Mysteries, #3)
  • Bravo, Mia! (American Girl of the Year)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t
More about Valerie Tripp...

American Girls: Josefina (6 books)
  • Meet Josefina: An American Girl (American Girls: Josefina, #1)
  • Josefina Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Josefina, #2)
  • Josefina's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American girls: Josefina #3)
  • Happy Birthday, Josefina!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Josefina, #4)
  • Josefina Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Josefina, #5)
  • Changes for Josefina: A Winter Story

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland