Start by marking “Innovate Inside the Box: Empowering Learners Through UDL and the Innovator's Mindset” as Want to Read:

Every educator faces constraints—from budget restrictions to predetermined curriculum to “one-size-fits-all” mandatory assessments. The question is, how can you, as a teacher or administrator, ensure that regulations and limitations don’t impede authentic learning?

In Innovate Inside the

Kindle Edition
Published August 11th 2019 by IMPress

To ask other readers questions about Innovate Inside the Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Innovate Inside the Box

Start your review of Innovate Inside the Box: Empowering Learners Through UDL and the Innovator's Mindset
Melissa
It was a whirlwind 4 weeks of a Facebook book study with both authors, but well worth it. I'm sure I will go back and reread sections as things come up that I want to refer to. I'm hoping to use this as a book study with my own group of Innovators next Fall! If you are connected to education in any way, I'd highly recommend you read this book.

"The answer to creating innovative teaching and learning opportunities lies within you.
Every educator faces constraints—from budget restrictions to predete
Sarah Fromhold
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just When I Thought It Couldn't Get Better...

George comes back with Katie Novak to provide practical ways teachers can implement an Innovator's Mindset with students. The final two chapters were my favorite, wrapping up the book with advice for all educators.
Michelle
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really, really enjoy everything by George Couros, but I loved every word that Katie Novak added. This is a great one for all educators and parents to read.
Paul Signorelli
Sometimes a book can be much more than what rests upon its pages. It can be a catalyst. A meeting place. An invitation to engage in reflective learning. And the center of a community that forms when each of us, through our own reactions and interactions with the book and other readers, end up producing our own individual, highly-personalized versions of that book—which is exactly the sort of multilevel, potentially transformative experience that George Couros and Katie Novak have produced throug ...more
Lisa Gusewelle
Dec 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Useful but Mixed with a Presenter's Fluff

This book is way more about empowerment than it is about innovation. I think it uses the term innovation to get teacher geeks like me to sink our claws in. Regardless, the times when the writers focused on developing empowerment for students and staff were the most poignant and useful parts to this professional development book.

What brings it down to 3 stars for me is that it doesn't go into detail on how an educator shifts into this mindset. Their prese
Justine Wilson
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was the summer read I needed as an educator. I was feeling stuck, like I couldn’t make the huge impact I wanted to make to reinvent education. Couros and Novak’s book helped to reframe this “pie in the sky”’idea I held. Education change is possible when we start with ourselves and our sphere of influence through relationships and god UDL practices. The book is a great balance of theory/stories and practice.
Becky
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book; George Couros challenges readers to offer deeper learning opportunities by using the 8 characteristics of the innovator’s mindset: empathy, problem finders & solvers, risk taking, networking, observers, creators, resilience & reflection.
Tamij
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed the stories that Couros shares in this book, as well as practical ideas to use in the classroom. Both Couros and Novak focus on Universal Design Learning within this book, which I found interesting to learn about.
Heather Stringham
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Couros and Novak have written a book to help educators be the best they can be for students. They give clear ideas and options for how to make changes to what is occurring in the 21st century Classroom.
Jonathan Cassie
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
George Couros is a blessing to anyone interested in thinking deeply about education and innovation. I like all of his work, but this is particularly helpful as it builds on past work in compelling ways.
Kathisue
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
Great read. This is a wonderful follow up to the Innovator's Mindset. ...more
Jay Clark
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for educators ... easy to read, lots of examples and narratives. Many of our staff members are reading this after hosting George in our district this fall and they've only had positive feedback. ...more
Stella Pollard
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! I loved the real life examples that were infused with the learning content. I love how the authors shed light on what it means to be innovative within the classroom and how we can get kids to think differently. Thanks for the learning!
Kris Patrick
Would have liked more Katie, less George.
Dan Richards
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
George Couros does it again! Another great book educators can use immediately to improve their school culture and leadership.
Laura Staple
May 21, 2020
Kristina
Dec 29, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Distance Learning Playbook, Grades K-12: Teaching for Engagement and Impact in Any Setting
  • Relentless: Changing Lives by Disrupting the Educational Norm
  • Personal & Authentic: Designing Learning Experiences That Impact a Lifetime
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust #2)
  • The Water Dancer
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • Guts
  • Empower: What Happens When Student Own Their Learning
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's Testing of America
  • The Gifted School
  • The Topeka School
  • Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know About the People We Don’t Know
  • The Lager Queen of Minnesota
  • Shamed (Kate Burkholder, #11)
  • Kent State
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years

News & Interviews

“No matter what you teach, your students aren’t likely to remember every lesson, but they will remember how you spoke and acted toward them and how you made them feel. There is no getting around the fact that your actions and words are so important. That’s true for everyone, but if you are in education, it’s something that cannot be understated or forgotten. Your words—whether harsh, inspiring, degrading, or kind—can stick with people for the rest of their lives. Don’t ever forget that.” 2 likes