Start by marking “Molly Storm” as Want to Read:
Molly Storm

Molly Storm

A witch, a pirate, a lighthouse, and... seaweed? Molly Storm is a short story inspired by the tale of Rapunzel.

“You and I, lass, we’re both sides of the same coin. We’re both the heart of the ocean, but you’re more the kindness and goodness. I’m the storms that crush ships. Don’t cross me, Molly. I’ll crush all the sweetness out of you.”
Published August 6th 2019 by Young Mountain Press

To ask other readers questions about Molly Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Molly Storm

Start your review of Molly Storm
Kyle
A short story that's still complete and satisfying, with fully-realized characters and a strong emotional payoff. I was particularly fond of how the author transposed the medieval fairy-tale elements seamlessly into a maritime setting somewhat later in history. The atmosphere in this piece is just breathtaking. And the focus on the "Gothel" character in this Rapunzel motif rather than either the prince or Rapunzel herself is particularly well-done. Highly recommended. ...more
Deborah O'Carroll
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a unique, fascinating take on Rapunzel, set in a lighthouse -- which is perfect! I loved that it was such a quick and easy read, since it's a short story, but still manages to really grab hold of you and keep you thinking about it. It's a little bit haunting and super atmospheric and feels totally like a cloudy day above a rocky coast, which I loved!

It could also get a little dark here and there, and there were one or two things I didn't care for, but on the whole I really enjoyed
Laura Grace
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very unique retelling of Rapunzel! I especially liked the setting, the way the characters talked and described, and the overall story.

I admit I was hesitant how I would enjoy it after to meeting the “witch,” however it was nothing like I expected and had so much heart. The ending was absolutely beautiful! Powerful and very much a “happily ever after,” but in a way that’s not romantic or typical for a fairy tale.

Definitely a strong and special retelling!

Also, this cover is perfect. I l
Keturah Lamb
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was one of the beta readers for this book. Let me just say ... it’s AMAZING!! I love the writing style and the twists.
It’s about the “witch” that raises “Rapunzel”.
It was a very engaging story.
And the cover! I’m so in love with that 🥰

I definitely need to buy and read the updated version though 😂 because I’m sure Annie changed some things. Still, that means it can only be MORE amazing than what I read, right?
This is a clever short story and an interesting take on the story of Rapunzel, as told from the witch's perspective. I applaud the author's choice of both perspective and location — what could be more fascinating than a sea witch living in a lighthouse? And there are pirates, so that's great too.

I particularly liked that the story focused on the relationship between the witch and the Rapunzel. This Rapunzel essentially pulls the witch from an antihero at best and villain at worst to a character
Jenni Sauer
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure of beta reading this before it was published and snapped at the chance to read a finished copy for review before the release date.

This is a quick read but don't mistake it for simple or fluff. The author packs a lot of story and emotions into a short amount of space, giving us an interesting twist on the Rapunzel story. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a short read full of dynamic characters and a fun, unique twist on a classic story.
Kathryn McConaughy
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
There is a witch living on a lonely isle. Driven by fear of the Pirate King to a terrible deed, her heart is stained with darkness. Will it devour her?
This is a retelling of Rapunzel. Since it’s a short story, there isn’t a lot I can say without giving too much away. But it’s a powerful story in a small package. There are only four characters, but each of them is wonderful. Matteo is my favorite; he was such a cute kid! Molly, the POV character, has a strong and compelling voice. Ulva is so swee
Anna Berens
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautifully what I expected

I've come to expect certain things whenever I read something of Annie's. I wasn't disappointed. This story has just the right amount of magic, the right amount of vagueness, the right amount of everything. Well worth the read for anyone who wants an untypical Rapunzel retelling.
Brie Donning
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Strange, a witch for a protagonist. But beautiful in its ending.
Full review to come later.
Kendra Ardnek

• The Dragon's Flower
  • Heart of the Curiosity
  • Rebekah's Refuge
  • In the Reign of Terror: The Adventures of a Westminster Boy
  • Deadwood (Crockett and Crane, #2)
  • Oath of the Outcast (The Dragon Keep Chronicles, #1)
  • Hand of Steel (The Steel Hand, #1)
  • A Moon for Ana Garcia Level 1.5
  • The Hero With a Thousand Faces
  • Teddy Roosevelt, Millie, and the Elegant Ride
  • Robert Schumann and Mascot Ziff
  • Eothen - Travel in the East
  • Marco Polo: History's Great Adventurer (Historical Notebooks)

News & Interviews