Start by marking “The Lonely Fajita” as Want to Read:
The Lonely Fajita

The Lonely Fajita

Lonely Fajita: a person who is suddenly and unwillingly single.

Its Elissas birthday, but her boyfriend doesnt seem to care much and shes accidentally scheduled herself a cervical smear instead of birthday drinks.

Then theres her borderline-psychotic boss, the fact shes not making but losing money at her internship, and her sinking feeling she might not really be in love.

Kindle Edition
Expected publication: May 14th 2020 by One More Chapter

To ask other readers questions about The Lonely Fajita, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lonely Fajita

Start your review of The Lonely Fajita
Emer (A Little Haze)
This book was an utter delight!

I was so tired, felt so exhausted and drained of any sort of pep... and I needed something light and airy to raise my spirits and luckily I had just received this ARC so I settled in for what I hoped would be a light and frivolous sort of read.

And I got exactly that. It was hugely entertaining and chuckle inducing. Honestly I laughed out loud so many times! But also this book had heart. It had characters that I actually cared about.

The book follows the story of
Abigail
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It's good. I promise. The author told me so.
Lex
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
This book was a delight. Funny AND it gave me the warm fuzzies
Jenny
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall - 4/5
Story - 3.5/5
Writing - 5/5
Character - 4/5
Memorability - 3.5/5
Enjoyment - 4/5

Just to be nice and transparent, Abi is a good friend of mine. That being said I really enjoyed this tale of love, loss and reconciliation. Since having a baby I'm finding I only really have the head space to enjoy light, heartwarming stories and The Lonely Fajita is just that.

Abi is a fantastic writer. I felt she captured millennial London perfectly, whilst not alienating slightly (I'm just SLIGHTLY older
Becky (Head In The Pages) Kearns
I flew through this book in about 5 hours. I loved it and I loved the whole idea of the book, as well as the characters and plot.

I thought that Elissa was a really relatable character and I liked that she was written realistically. I loved her friends and their friendship.

I loved that the storyline wasnt cliched. Elissa didnt make annoying or stupid decisions that make you want to shake a character. Shes likeable and really enjoyable to read.

As for secondary characters, Annie, Maggie and Suki
ℳacarena
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, reviews
➳Bookstagram post

This was such a fun read! Just what I was looking for.

"Theres nothing sadder than constructing a fajita on your own.

Elissa thinks she cant do anything right; she doesnt have a decent wage, because shes been working as an intern at a matching app company, therefore, she cant afford paying the rent at her boyfriends place, not even buy some real food. At work, things arent going well at all. Lets say the environment isnt the most appropriate. Her boss is a real pain in
Kyles
Belly laughs abound! Or so I expected from the hype.and in the beginning it truly was profoundly funny but by the end the humour had definitely petered out for me. Dont get me wrong I enjoyed this novel but I just didnt find it hilarious.

I felt real affection for elderly widow Annie.but Elissa was difficult to relate to. I mean, What is she like? Working for expenses only, in a shite relationship with someone who couldnt give her the time of day, flapping around, getting drunk no self respect,
Jen
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Funny and sweet. Its a warm hug of a book! ...more
Anika  | Chapters of May
This ARC has been generously provided in exchange for an honest review. Thanks HarperCollins UK & NetGalley!

The Lonely Fajita is a modern story of Elissa Evans, a 26-year-old social media manager on the edge of homelessness who suddenly finds herself single and moving in with an elderly person Evergeen Village, London. This effortless and amusing story was really easy to read. I finished it in 24 hours!

The first thing I noticed is that I didnt love the protagonist, Elissa. I actually liked
Jas
Mar 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I was really excited about this book. I love old people, I love stories about old people, I love stories about old people that surprise you. Unfortunately this book had a weird pace and a number of plot lines where it felt like I never got a chance to really get invested in any of it. Each plot line seemed to just skim the surface. I wish there was more of Annie and her story, or more of her and Elissa's relationship growing. Or even more about Elissa getting through work stuff. By the time I ...more
Auro Books
Mar 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you so much NetGalley for an advance copy of The Lonely Fajita in exchange for my honest opinion.

This book is something I would have probably never chosen if it wasn't for the fun title and the cover (Loved it, by the way)! I don't usually read romances but I kind of trying different genres lately and I wanted to try this fun read!

The book ended much better than it started. I came to eventually like Ellie, the main character but I have to be honest and say that I wasn't a big fan of hers
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Just when you need a funny, light hearted, comforting book to snuggle up with amongst all the uncertainty, along comes The Lonely Fajita! One to snuggle up with and enjoy!

I was laughing from the first page, I really enjoyed the writing, great pace, entertaining and endearing.

We follow Elissa, a 26 year old who moved to London with grand plans of what her life would be. When she finds herself single, she decides to try an alternative way of solving her housing and loneliness problem, with
awaywiththefaeriess
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
*this ARC was provided for an honest review- Thank you HarperCollins and NetGalley*

The Lonely Fajita is about Elissa, 26 year old living in London, interning at an App Development company who created a dating app called Lovr- which isnt doing too well. Elissa cant afford her rent and is on the brink of homelessness. But then she finds an advert for a living with the elderly scheme.

This is a lighthearted story that was easy, effortless read. My favourite part of this book was the elderly lady
Amy Dora
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Marianna
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't get enough of the Lonely Fajita! Such an authentic, feel-good, funny, and warm read.

The book's authenticity is bound up in how relatable it is for the modern, millennial reader: I often found myself recalling my own cringe-worthy incidents as I read Elissa's experiences (squeaky medicine ball seating springs to mind!), making every laugh all the more enjoyable. The same goes for the lead character herself: Elissa is not perfect and the story doesn't end by neatly ensuring the all
Hannah M
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ive spent the past few rainy days and evenings curled up indoors reading the Lonely Fajita, and I've enjoyed it so much I would almost wish for another wet weekend!

I think I loved this book so much because, in some ways it felt familiar and relatable, and in others it was full of suprises. As a woman living in London in her 20s, Elissa and her professional and personal ups and downs echoed many of mine and my friends' experiences - the ridiculous internships, the shared housing, the sub
Marta
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
The Lonely Fajita, by Abigail Mann, tells the story of Elissa, a twenty-something-year-old living in London and working (but not being properly paid) at a tech startup. Sounds familiar? If it does, it's probably because there's a lot of people in the same situation nowadays 😂

When Elissa suddenly finds herself without a place to live, she ends up signing up to live with an elderly person in return for accomodation. That's when she meets Annie, a sassy geriatric badasss who might just change her
Queen B
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Readers, I have news. I read a non-romance.

The Lonely Fajita stars our heroine Elissa, a twenty something living in London. Shes working as an underpaid intern for a dating app and sharing a ho-hum room with her ho-hum boyfriend. When she finds herself soon to be homeless (mostly because of the ho-hum boyfriend) she applies to essentially be a companion for an elderly person. The person she gets paired with is Annie, an octogenarian widow.

The Lonely Fajita was a delightful read. Elissa
Beth Godmon
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Lonely Fajita was the feel good read that I needed. Elissa is 26 and trying to make it in London, despite an internship that barely pays expenses and a boyfriend who may as well leave. So she decides to join an elderly care scheme and live in with Annie.

This book gave me hope, bolstered my ambitious side and gave me a little more faith in my future. Nothing life-changing, but a little bit of laughter and positivity goes a long way! Elissa was relatable, and I saw a lot of her character in
Cassie
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, arc, read-in-2020
This book is the feel - good book of the year.

Ellissa finds herself all of a sudden without a boyfriend, without a home and as an intern, pretty much without money. Completely by chance, she finds a flyer asking for live in companions for the elderly. Ellissa is matched with Annie, a typically stubborn, independent northern woman living in a retirement village in London.

There were times where I would find myself feeling so embarrassed for the pickles that Ellissa found herself in, that I
Francesca Long
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book painted so many vivid pictures for me. Even things as simple as one of the characters getting on a Tube or walking down a street are described with such care that it brings the whole book to life! I loved the characters (especially Annie - I don't think I'm alone!) and I found the relationship that forms between her and Elissa to be really comforting and relatable - a bit like curling up with your Granny for a chat!

It was refreshing to get into an original plot with characters that
Alison Pashley
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a light hearted, easy read that had me laughing out loud in places. It was quick to read and enjoyable, although I probably liked the main character's friends more than I liked her - Elissa made me want to give her a shake and tell her to pull herself together!! The older characters were also well written, although I did feel as though Annie's family history could have been explored a bit more, it seemed like an aside that I didn't really get a satisfactory explanation for.
Overall, I
Patricia Rohrs (words we love by blog)
A beautiful story about the journey of life and finding our place in it!

Elissa is coming off one of the worst times of her life when a strange opportunity presents itself! Unsure at first she decides to go for it and in the process discovers how strong, smart and beautiful she truly is! Of course she has some help from amazing friends like Suki and Annie! I love that this is a story about the relationship we have with ourselves and those around us! Elissa couldve just thrown the towel in and
Liese
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was pretty difficult for me to get through this book. I felt like it was pretty slow and dragged on for the most part. The main character was incredibly difficult to connect with and seemed very irresponsible for someone who was surrounded by people who had their lives together. She had redeeming qualities too and that kept me somewhat engaged, but the most likable character was Annie, the elderly woman. Annie is straight forward and tells it like it is. Also, so many of the characters or ...more
Holly
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a sweet and joyful book! Slightly weird thing to say when I distinctly remember finding some bits rather sad and heartbreaking. Also being able to relate to Elissa's feeling of deep professional inadequacy was a bit too real for me at times but her burgeoning friendship with feisty pensioner Annie was an absolute joy. And who doesn't love a happy ending that involves a sunny village fete? (it felt like minus 4 here when I finished this book so I was living hard for that ending)

A light,
Jess
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it
What can I say, i liked the book espically Annie as a character. However, the MC was a little bit frustrating to read extremely low self esteem but also self centred makes for a troubled person. I don't know why her friends are friends with her i would run for the hills shes not there for them but wants them to be there for her.

However, i love the cover design and title i thought i was pretty clever.

Thank you to netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Dawn
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Elissa is stuck in a job she hates, a relationship thats very one sided and in a house share thats even worse. When her relationship breaks down she finds herself moving in with Annie, a pensioner, in exchange for board she gives companionship. What could possible go wrong.
This was such a lovely read and I really enjoyed it. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
N
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Very good read. I really liked Elissa, she was a very likeable and relatable lead character and watching her grow into herself and find her way was very enjoyable. Her friendships were a highlight of the book and secondary character had a wonderful distinct personality. Annie was a great as were Suki and Maggie. The writing style was also really good and it was easy to get wrapped into the world created by the author. I would definitely recommend
Grace
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
*gifted proof! This in no way affects my mini review*

This was a funny one. Like, it was kinda funny in places, and very wittily written! But it was very slow and a little too sad to start. It picked up as it went on, and I liked the plot/character developments, but it could have had a better pace.
Catriona Dunn
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved reading The Lonely Fajita! Laugh out loud funny, an addictive storyline with very well thought out characters and a touching friendship. As a 27 year old, I relate to so many of the situations in this book - Abigail Mann has absolutely nailed the life of a twenty-something year old trying to get by in London. I highly recommend!!!

• The Switch
  • The Silent Treatment
  • The Neighbours
  • In Five Years
  • Very Nearly Normal
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • The Wedding War
  • Diary of a Confused Feminist
  • Beach Read
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Dating Disasters of Emma Nash
Abigail is a comedy writer living in London and surviving on a diet of three-shot coffee, bourbons, and vegetarian sausage rolls. She was born and brought up in Norfolk, which she says is to blame for the sardonic humour that runs through her novels. Abigail was the runner up in 2019's Comedy Women in Print award for THE LONELY FAJITA: her first novel.

Abigail takes inspiration from unconventional