Start by marking “The Kingmaker Contest” as Want to Read:
The Kingmaker Contest

The Kingmaker Contest

A brutal contest determines the King. Does a god control the outcome?

A thrilling epic fantasy world of magic and war.

Theo's empathic power lies untapped, but she knows of his abilities. Is she god or something worse? The only thing thats certain: the rage and terror warring inside Theo can obliterate the Drasque Empireif war doesnt first.

Part one of an EPIC series

Theo
Published July 26th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Kingmaker Contest, please sign up.
Troy Clem Yes, that is a great description. It will be a novella saga.

Start your review of The Kingmaker Contest
Vaishali • [V.L. Book Reviews] ON A GR BREAK!
description

★★★ To read my full review visit my blog ★★★

Rating: 3.5 stars

Youre an orphanTaken in by the Empire. That doesnt give you any special rights, it just keeps you out of the gutters.
I will be the exception, Theo said. Thats what It means to be exceptional.

The Kingmaker Contest takes place within the span of a two day period, and it escorts the story of young, curious Theo. Theo was born an orphan but has long since been the charge of King Rev who is the current ruler of the Empire. Theo has
Taylor (TaysBookishThoughts)
The Kingmaker Contest is a story about a young boy named Theo who has lived his whole life in a palace in Rigol as the King Revs charge. Theo thinks of the palace as a prison. Hes never been allowed to leave Rigol and all Theo wants more than anything is to be a part of the Kings Royal Guard. With the King living in Ironhead, Theo has never had the chance to ever ask even though he is not of royal blood. Theo devises a plan to hide away in a suitcase of the governor of Rigol on his way to ...more
eric daudenarde
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome first novel!!

I loved Theo's journey, can't wait to see what happens next with everyone! Won't give anything away, but I especially loved the languages, which brought the fantasy cultures to life.
Bethany
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Kingmaker Contest is a fast-paced novella-length fantasy story that has interesting ideas and consistent prose, but could use some further development and polishing. It takes place across 2 days while the titular Kingmaker Contest is being held to determine the next heir to the throne. The main character is Theo, an orphan who stows away in hopes of becoming a Royal Guard, but an accident throws him in the path of the Sigander (a mythic Native people with their own mythologies and internal ...more
Claire
3.5 stars, rounded up to 4

An entertaining, quick read that would be great for fans of Eragon and the Chronicles of Narnia. The plot is fast-paced; the entire thing happens over about two days. But LOTS of stuff happens. We have a brutal contest to decide the next king (to which the book owes its title), a sentient tree that can bring people back from the nearly-dead, and two regions of people who are at war.

The characters are likable. The book passes the Bechdel test, which a shocking amount of
Julie E. (Bookshelf Adventures)
This novel was a rollercoaster. So much action in such a short amount of time had me unwilling to put it down!

This book was a lovely little novel that pulled you in from the beginning. The tale was an easy build with just enough conflict to allow the tale to progress.

The Kingmaker Contest is a wonderful debut, both for the author and the series. I cant wait to read the upcoming novels.

Full review here: http://bookshelfadventures.home.blog/...
Chantal
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Transport yourself to ancient times. Back when the best mode of transportation were horse drawn carriages. When kings really ruled with iron fists and armies where called the Royal Guards.

Thats the setting our protagonist Theo finds himself in. Hes an orphan, a ward of the king of the Empire of Drasque. A curious twelve year old, he wants to know what the world outside the Rigol palace walls has to offer. When his carer Losik leaves for Ironhead he stows himself away in a trunk.

As they do with
Paige Green
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received this e-book from the author. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: The Kingmaker Contest

Author: Troy Clem

Book Series: The Source of Magic Book 1

Rating: 4/5

Publication Date: July 26, 2019

Genre: YA Fantasy?

Recommended Age: 16+ (violence, gore, blood magic)

Publisher: Indie Published

Pages: 192

Amazon Link

Synopsis: A brutal contest determines the King. Does a god control the outcome?

A thrilling epic fantasy world of magic and war.

Theo's empathic power lies untapped, but she
Booked
The story takes place within the time-span of 48 hours, in and outside of Rigol.
The characters speaks differently, which makes it easy to understand who doing what! But at the same time, somehow that is the reason that knocked the stars down.
The characters, Theo, Tess, Pasqual were enjoyable.
But this novella was way too much fast-paced, or it can be a me thing, but the novella felt a lot rushed.
I wish the author, wold have taken his time a bit more with the story.
Cause, it felt a lot like that
Aditi
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not really a me thing!
Karen (BaronessBookTrove)
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy from the Author. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The Kingmaker Contest by Troy Clem is a novella-length epic fantasy series that I can't wait to read more.
To be next in line, someone must win the contest.
Theo
Theo is the main character and the first one we meet. He is an orphan that has been raised in a palace far away from the capital of the empire. Theo has not seen a lot of people. Theo is a pretty
Sam Law
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Summary:

Main Characters:

Theo: An orphan brought up in the palace as a ward of the king.

Nagima: She is a Sigander, the race that were the original natives of the land. They now are mainly forest dwellers, and Nagima is endowed with magical powers, which is not unexpected in her race.

Tess: An urchin living off her wits.

Minor Characters:

Pasqual: Tesss cousin, slow of mind but huge, and brute-force strong.

Dak: A Sigander, who rescues Theo, and takes him to the Mother.

Losik: Theos minder, and a
Swords & Spectres
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it

When Troy got in touch and asked if I would be interested in reading and reviewing his epic fantasy novella, I said yes for numerous reasons; the story sounded interesting, I was really enjoying my shorter works at the time of contact and I was curious just how an epic fantasy of novella length would work. As, much like 99% of readers out there, my mind jumps to thick books when the word epic is thrown around. I get
Josh
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed how the different people spoke differently which helped differentiate the cultures. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next! Magic and Renaissance for the win!
Carmen
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Out of everyone, I enjoyed Tess and Pasqual, since they seemed to have quite a bit of character. I found that the Royal system nor the bloodlines were really explained. I thought the cover was done quite nicely. I got a copy in exhange for an honest review.
Becky Baldridge
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Kingmaker Contest is the start of an entertaining epic fantasy series. This first book is a quick read with conflicts popping up throughout the story to keep things moving along. World building is more subtle than the norm, which is refreshing in an epic fantasy. I liked that we get to discover the world outside of Rigol along with Theo, a world of magic, war, and hope. Then we have the interesting characters. The author paints vivid pictures with his words that breathe life into his ...more
Empty Profile
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't want it to end!

I am so glad there will be another book, because this one was just too short. There was so much adventure, I guess the characters need a good rest so that they can face running a kingdom!
Denise Smith
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! I enjoyed reading it, and am looking forward to the next chapter of the saga!
Keri C
Jul 27, 2019
Jeffasmith1
Sep 22, 2019
Troy Clem
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Maggie
Aug 22, 2019
Elle Schroder
Aug 29, 2019

• Killer Domes and the Chosen One
  • Coming Up Murder (Professor Prather Mystery, #4)
  • Suspect in High Heels (High Heels Mysteries Book 10)
  • A Legacy of Murder (Kate Hamilton Mysteries, #2)
  • Storm of Secrets (A Haunted Bluffs Mystery #2)
  • Memories and Murder (Tourist Trap Mysteries #10)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Home for Christmas (Shores of Indian Lake #12)
  • Ghosts of Painting Past (Aurora Anderson, #5)
  • Three Widows and a Corpse (A Food Blogger Mystery Book 3)
  • The Wipeout Affair
  • Cozy Food
  • Murder at First Pitch
  • Beautifully Baked
  • Perfectly Played
  • Turkey Basted to Death (The Cast Iron Skillet Mystery Series A Holiday Novella 2.5)
  • A Bad Hair Day Cookbook: Recipes from Nancy J. Cohen's Cozy Mystery Series
  • Death Takes a Holiday at Pemberley
An emerging figure in contemporary prose, Troy Clem was born in Orange County, California, in the late 1980s. He was raised on a steady diet of science fiction, fantasy, graphic novels, and pop culture, which has calcified his unique writing aesthetic. He relocated to the San Francisco Bay Area after graduating with a Film degree from San Francisco State University, and lives there today with his ...more