Start by marking “The Return” as Want to Read:
The Return

The Return

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  5,311 ratings  ·  1,234 reviews
An edgy and haunting debut novel about a group of friends who reunite after one of them has returned from a mysterious two-year disappearance.

Julie is missing, and the missing don't often return. But Elise knows Julie better than anyone, and she feels in her bones that her best friend is out there, and that one day she'll come back. She's right. Two years to the day that J
Published March 24th 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Return, please sign up.
Steph
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Rebecca [spoiler]It seemed to have a haunted hotel vibe, which I wish was actually utilized as a device. As far as horror creature, I felt this resembled a We…more[spoiler]It seemed to have a haunted hotel vibe, which I wish was actually utilized as a device. As far as horror creature, I felt this resembled a Wendigo story. (less)

·  5,311 ratings  ·  1,234 reviews

Start your review of The Return
Miranda Reads
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Miranda by: Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
description

Just a little bit of fun - here's the link to an interview I did with Goodreads - all about the "IT" book of the summer!
description
I have read my way through 315 books to bring you my Top 10 Books of the Year (video) .

Now you know that this one made the cut, check out my video review to see the others!

(Ps. This one is technically going to be published next year but it was so good, I let it slide)
description

It was dread. It moved under my skin like a sickness.
J
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Welcome to the DISAPPOINTED BOILING READERS REHABILITATION CENTER:

PATIENT NAME: Nilufer (we couldn’t get proper last name, she confused us with a waiter because she determinedly pointed the empty glass she held in her hand and shouted us to pour more Chardonnay)

SYMPTOMS: Cursing, punching on the walls, yelling, screaming “give my money back” and then she calms down and adds: “Oh thank God! This is ARC COPY! I didn’t pay for it” and she makes some undefinable, horrifying moves between caged anim
Chelsea Humphrey
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-publisher
I've come back to write this review three separate times now, and I think it's best if I keep this as brief as possible. The entire novel is a spoiler minefield, but ultimately this one didn't work well for me due to 2 reasons: 1) The first 250 pages are mostly repetitive dialogue between the four women, and at that, mostly talking about Julie behind her back, AKA "What's wrong with her?" This got old quickly, and caused me to want to skip ahead to where the suspense and possible action would oc ...more
megs_bookrack
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
**3.5-stars**

Elise, Julie, Mae and Molly have been best friends since college. As with many such relationships, however, as time goes by, they've begun to drift apart.

This fabulous foursome all live in different places and it can be tough to stay close over such distances.

Two years ago, the unimaginable happened. Julie disappeared while on a solo hike in Acadia National Park, a 47,000-acre belt of wilderness on the rustic coast of Maine.

Understandably, her friends were heartbroken. After a signi
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Elisha at Berkly Publishing Group for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review
”’Don’t let the clock scare you,’ she says. ‘It’s only time.’”

If The Shining and Mean Girls had a baby, that baby would be The Return. Holy sh*t. You guys this book was truly one of the creepiest books I have read since Little Darlings . Nearly a week after reading this, I am still reeling. This book will forever leave a mark on my soul.

Elise - I know that there have been comp
Michelle
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
This was, uh, interesting?

Julie, Elise, Mae, and Molly have been lifelong best friends. Then one day they are told that Julie has gone missing while out on a hike in the Maine mountains. Mae and Molly succumb to their grief but Elise is sure that Julie isn't dead. She knows that Julie likes the attention too much so she holds out hope for her return.

Two years later and Julie does return with no memory of what happened over the last two years.

The four women decide that a weekend away will be t
Jeffrey Keeten
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
”You can’t erase your past when there are pieces of it scattered inside other people.”

Jules goes missing and stays missing for two years, but then she reappears one day with no memory of what has happened to her over the past few years. Her best friends are unsure as to how to handle this stroke of good fortune. They had a funeral for her. They mourned her. They accepted that she was going to be a missing piece for the rest of their lives.

They can’t decide if they are more happy about her reapp
Kaceey
I’ve had my eye on this one for some time! I was fortunate to get my early copy and couldn’t wait to dive in. Early on I realized this is more than just your run of the mill thriller, maybe more along the lines of a horror. And if you’ve read any of my previous reviews you know I’m one big scaredy-cat!

What to do...what to do?💁🏻‍♀️ Call it quits early, avoiding any potential scaredy-cat trauma? Or, buck-up and jump in with both feet!
Because I coveted this book for so long the choice was simple.
Deanna
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, 2020
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

I’m always intrigued by books that deal with missing people. This novel really caught my attention with its great cover and interesting description.

When Elise first hears that her best friend, Julie is missing, she doesn’t believe it. Elise, Julie, Mae, and Molly are all very close friends though Elise has always felt closer to Julie.

Days, weeks, then months pass…

Everyone else assumes Julie is dead, but Elise REFUSES to g
Norma
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-requests
Monotonous, menacing, & freaky!

This was one strange, different, and bizarre mystery/horror read that definitely kept me creepily absorbed in the storyline. I was a little bit grossed out at times and in the end it left me with a sour taste in my mouth and a permanently disgusted look on my face. I’m not sure if that is good or bad yet…..I’m still deliberating! 😜

It was a very readable, quick and easy read with some creepy horror elements to it that might make this an extremely appealing read for
Beverly
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Four college friends reunite after one goes missing

This had such an interesting premise, four friends reunite after one friend was missing without a trace for two years. Julie returns but looks horrible and says she doesn't remember anything about her disappearance. Her best friend Elise never thought she was missing in the first place. She thought Julie was hiding and would reappear, because she loves attention. Elise was right Ju!ie is not dead, but she is not herself either.

I was in it mostl
Berit☀️✨
Over the top, campy, cheesy, gruesome, crazy, entertaining. This book was like a bad horror movie that you watch over and over and over again because you are just so Hooked. SO once upon a time there were four friends Elise, Mae, Molly, and Julie. The girls met in college and formed an unbreakable bond. When Julie goes missing they are all devastated, where is their Bestie? A year after Julie goes missing her husband Tristan holds a memorial, but Elise is not convinced that Julie is dead. Been t ...more
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Julie has been missing for two years and presumed dead, but now she has returned. Something doesn't seem right with Julie and what should be a happy reunion turns odd and scary when the friends getaway together at an isolate extravagant hotel.

The story starts off slow, and not much happens here for a while, and even though I was intrigued by the storyline, there wasn't much to keep me interested. I stuck in there, hoping it would get better. The first half of the story is all about the dynamics
Susanne  Strong
2.5 Stars

Besties since college, Julie, Elise, Mae and Molly have always kept in touch. When Julie goes missing, everything changes. Elise is the only one who holds out hope for her return, even after a few years go by.

Then it happens. Two years later. Julie returns out of the blue. Looking A LOT worse for wear, with absolutely no memory of what happened.

Deciding to have a girl’s weekend, the four go away to an Inn in the Catskills to reconnect. The Inn boasts rooms that are all quite different
Katie B
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Well, that took me on an unexpected journey. There's definitely some problems along the way, and I find myself agreeing with almost all of the criticisms I have read in other reviews. But when I finished the book, my overall feeling was I kinda liked it even if I'm not able to articulate exactly why.

Elise, Julie, Molly, and Mae have been friends since college. Julie has gone missing and well, we all know how those cases usually turn out. But Elise can't help but feel her friend is out there som
Amy Imogene Reads

I was NOT expecting this slim novel to be so awesome, so horror-based, and so suspenseful. Loved it. It would have been an automatic 5 stars, but some things didn't jive for me.

Suspense: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★★
Setting: ★★★★★

Elise is told her best friend, Julie, went missing on a solo hiking trip. Two years go by, and Elise refuses to believe or accept that Julie's dead. She's sure Julie will turn up again, good as new.

Two years to the day that Julie disappears, she returns. She doesn't rememb
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

I read this book in December. And then I lost it in my car. Which is a Fiat . . . . . .

Why do I tell you guys stuff like this? My husband should have zero problems having me committed with all of these embarrassing confessions out there in writing. Actually he won’t even have to worry about it after that fucking Google ad during the Super Bowl . . . .

*drinks gallon of antifreeze due to inability to stop crying ever*
Kimberly
THE RETURN is the first novel I have read by Rachel Harrison. To say that I was impressed is an understatement--this novel grabbed me from the start, and I didn't want to put it down until I had ALL the answers. Of course, that meant I was completely invested until the very end.

". . . being in this city of millions of people was worse than being alone in my apartment . . ."

We have a close group of friends--Elise, Julie, Mae, and Molly--each now in their respective careers/locations, but stil
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
I devoured (haha) this book in one day... Creepy, weird, and disturbing without being terrifying? That's totally my type of book! Very impressed with the fact this is a debut novel. Can't wait to see what else the author comes up with! ...more
Michelle
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: berkley-reviews
I’m currently stuck between 3-4 stars , but damn if I don’t feel like it deserves 4 stars based on the “creep” factor alone. This book reminded me so much of the movie “Jennifer’s Body” with Megan Fox & Amanda Seyfried, two of my favorite actresses out there. There’s most DEFINITELY something wrong with Julie but what?

This book follows 4 best friends: Mae, Molly, Elise and Julie aka “Jules.” There’s always that one friend who tries to bring everyone together ( I know because I do this in real l
Frank Phillips
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this horror release! 4.4 Stars, rounded down. Any story that involves a group of friends going away to a resort where shortly after bad things begin happening will automatically catch my eye and this book had me captivated throughout. There was a heavy, atmospheric chill in the hotel, and the rooms felt as though there were a presence lurking in the shadows, watching over the girls as they slept. Oh little did they know! There were so many different scenarios in my head howeve ...more
Katie
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 stars. My review is slightly biased because one of my favorite topics to read about is female friendship. I found some aspects of this book repetitive and unrealistic (not talking about the horror aspects), but I still deeply enjoyed this book. If you're picking this up JUST because you want a terrifying horror novel...it's not for you.

However, if you love reading about female friendship and want some creepy fun, I would recommend picking this up.
Emily
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Return is Rachel Harrison's debut horror / supernatural thriller novel, and I was dying to get my hands on it as soon as I heard about it! The synopsis sounded right up my alley, and I LOVE a good pink cover.

I really enjoyed this book, and I tore through it. It had a fun balance of horror and friendship drama. I enjoyed the setting of the hotel, and I would absolutely love to see a movie adaptation of this book.

I wish this book would have been a little longer to dive more into the horror a
Em
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this in 24 hours - it would’ve been more like 10 hours if I hadn’t had to do obnoxious things like “sleep” and “go to work.” This is the breathtaking next step in commercial thrillers: tipping straight over into horror. The author nails the experience of the irrational fears you make up as an anxious woman in the grip of a quarter-life crisis, and flips them over into literal fears. This is also a book about the discomforts of female friendships. I loved it.

Read my full review and cover r
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Thank you so much to Berkley Publishing for the ARC of The Return in exchange for an honest review! All opinions are my own.

I have honestly never read a horror novel before in my life, because I am a huge scaredy cat.  I didn't even realize it was a scary book until one creepy thing happened...and then another ... and then I looked up the book on GoodReads and said OH, wow, ok.  I turned all the lights in the house on and kept reading.

The plot itself is an excellent idea: What happened to Julie?
Monica (crazy_4_books)
If you thought this is a thriller you were wrong. This is a horror debut novel written by a woman! If you want to support female horror writers please pick this one up, I got it for one dollar on kindle.
I was hooked from the beginning and the tension build up is really good so I flew through the pages, but that ending though, it's a shame it could have been a 5 star but I'm going to buy a physical copy in the future and re-read it.
The premise is cool: Julie goes missing one day after she goes on
Kelli
May 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
This interesting thing about this book is that there was a decent creep factor, but the excessive dialogue, flat characters, and slow pacing made it very hard to love. I don’t mind dialogue but this was painful, boring, and littered with nicknames that eventually grated on my nerves. Maebs?
2 stars
Ellen Gail
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, horror
What is it with me and accidentally picking tooth-horror? First Harrow Lake, now this. That is literally my only requirement for the next thing I read - no rivers of teeth or bloody teeth falling out. I don't want any more teeth!

Somehow I went into The Return not knowing a key thing about it - this is a horror novel. I mean, it's shelved here on Goodreads as horror. Edelweiss has it listed as horror fiction. I don't know how I missed it. However, as a self described horror junkie, it was a fun d
Dennis
Rachel Harrison's debut mystery novel, The Return is a light, yet edgy, mystery-drama that encompasses friendship dynamics and the supernatural. Main character, Elise, is in conflict with her friends over the disappearance of their friend Julie. Julie mysteriously vanishes and everyone believes she has died or ran away—but not Elise. After two years, Julie resurfaces, but something is different. The group decides to go away for a friends' trip in the Catskills, but the dynamic is off. Julie ...more
Liz Barnsley
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Return started out really well- a friend disappears then reappears with no memory of what happened to her- but she's definitely not the same person she used to be....

The author develops the friendship dynamic between all the women really well, giving you a sense of them especially Elise. Julie's return and the aftermath begins as a beautifully creepy, tense horror so much so that I didn't want to read it in the dark. The hotel they reunite in is dastardly and haunting- so far so good.

Then it
Madison County NC...: The Return 1 10 Jun 04, 2020 11:03AM

• Firewatching (Detective Sergeant Adam Tyler #1)
  • We Ride Upon Sticks
  • Minor Dramas & Other Catastrophes
  • The Book of Lost Friends
  • Precious You
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • Home Before Dark
  • Little Cruelties
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • The Mercies
  • Jane Anonymous
Rachel Harrison was born and raised in the weird state of New Jersey. She received her bachelor’s in Writing for Film & Television from Emerson College. After graduating, she worked on TV game shows, in publishing, and for a big bank. She lives in Brooklyn with her husband and their cat/overlord. This is her first novel.

Librarian note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with t

Articles featuring this book

Let's face it, this year's class of first-time authors is seeing its debut novels launch into a world much different from what anyone in the...
“You can't erase your past when there are pieces of it scattered inside other people.” 11 likes
“My problems aren't invalid. Not to me. Just because they aren't life altering, life-threatening, doesn't mean they don't make me feel bad. I wake up with them every morning, carry them around all day like a lead backpack, and I fall asleep with them at night. They're real, and they're mine. I know I'm lucky. I know that. But it doesn't change how I feel.” 5 likes