Start by marking “In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)” as Want to Read:
In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)

In the Heart of the Fire

(Nameless #1)

A bloodthirsty sheriff is terrorizing a small Texas town where justice has been buried with his victims. Until Nameless arrives—a vigilante whose past is a mystery and whose future is written in blood.

Anyone who crosses Sheriff Russell Soakes is dead, missing, or warned. One of them is a single mother trying to protect her children but bracing herself for the worst.

Published November 12th 2019 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about In the Heart of the Fire, please sign up.
Sharon Rosenberg I'm under the impression that it won't be available in hardcover. This is part of a series of short stories, and they're all on Kindle. :)
Patrick Wilson There is actually 6 books out. They are all on Kindle

Start your review of In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
Constantine

Rating: 3.5/5.0

Genre:
Mystery Thriller + Short Story

A good start for a series. We follow a nameless character, I think he calls himself nameless too! He is a vigilante though he rejects to be called that. Ace of Diamonds (Another unknown character) gives him this mission to take down a corrupt cop.

The story is linear but has lots of mystery to it. Of course, we don't get answers to who Nameless is and why is he doing what he is doing. It makes things more intriguing to start the next book in the
Char
I was expecting a dog, a good guy and a bad guy. I got all 3- but in spite of that, I liked this short story.

The above is the reason I quit reading Koontz in the first place. It seemed to me that all of his books were the same. After WATCHERS and a few other Koontz books made me quickly fall in love with him, the re-use of that same formula over and over again made me fall out of love with him, just as quickly.

I like the mystery surrounding Nameless, and I'm in to see what happens next.
Richard
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prime-reading
A clever idea for a protagonist.
Ace of Diamonds is an agency outside of the law, but what side of justice do they take. Nameless is their agent but is he a gun for hire or a vigilante one man army.
In a well orchestrated operation this guy alights from a bus and follows his preplanned instructions. Since this is the first in a series of short stories we do not know if he is light or dark. However, his status as an agent is bizarre as amnesia and a lack of memories makes him almost an automaton.
Sheila Beaumont
Excellent short thriller with hints of the supernatural, the first in Dean Koontz's new "Nameless" series. Loved the dog! I'm looking forward to reading the other five books in this series.
Michael Hicks
My review of IN THE HEART OF THE FIRE can be found at High Fever Books.

I used to be a voracious reader of Dean Koontz back in the 90s and early part of the 2000s, but fell off the bandwagon around the time By the Light of the Moon and a string of other clunkers came out and he traded the intriguing and unfinished Christopher Snow series for the much too-earnest and goofball comedy of Odd Thomas. Koontz was growing increasingly saccharine and annoying at the turn of the century, putting a
Norah Una Sumner
i hate men...

description

super interested to see where this series goes!
Montzalee Wittmann
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the Heart of the Fire
Nameless, Book 1
By: Dean Koontz
Narrated by: Edoardo Ballerini
Nameless deals with a corrupt Sheriff and associate. Dozens of missing people, mostly young girls, have gone missing since the Sheriff came into power. Great story and narration.

Henry
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Start

This is a good beginning to the "Nameless" series by the very prolific Dean Koontz. You will not be disappointed.
NILTON TEIXEIRA
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well... this short story of only 62 pages was not very well developed and It’s a bit confusing. Too many names involved in a very short time. And the story wasn’t that engaging. I thought I was reading 162 pages.
There are some good moments. Actually, the best parts are when the main character has visions of occurrences in the future or from the past.
This is the first of a series of short stories, especially for Amazon. As I’m a Amazon Prime subscriber, I have access to this series (and several
Juli
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He is called Nameless. He doesn't remember his name or his past. The man is a wanderer, a whisp of smoke, a force to be reckoned with that will be forgotten after he leaves. He is a killer....but only of those who need killing. He receives assignments from a person known only as Ace of Diamonds. And then he kills. Quick. Clean. No trace left behind.

In this first Nameless story, the target is a pedophile sheriff. He has been victimizing people for a long time, destroying the proof of his deeds.
Lisazj1
4.5 stars! If every one of these snippets *too damn short* are like this, I’m going to love this series! I really like Nameless already. I want to know more about him too but at the same time, I kind of don’t mind knowing him just as we do.

I don’t know who’s pulling Nameless’s strings but they’re kind of my heroes. Justice is sweet.

Great narration as well, and I’m already into the next one!
Dante
“You must be tired".
Armand Rosamilia
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gritty and slightly different from what I'm used to from Koontz, which is a good thing. I love how lately his work keeps me guessing, and he's not afraid to go really dark, which I enjoyed. On to the next one!
Chelsey
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not for the faint of heart! But definitely grabbed my attention more than I expected and I’ll certainly be picking up more of these novellas!
Shawna
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
To be honest, I only read this because I’m almost at my goal and it was a short story. It was good for what it was.
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written beginning to the Nameless series. The two main themes in my mind are absolute power corrupts and karma is a b*tch. Though the story is dark, it's not graphic in a way that horrifies.
Jim C
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a short story and is part of a series of short stories. In this one, we follow the main character, Nameless, as he helps a woman protect her children from a sheriff of a local county who likes little children. Nameless has the power to see the future and he is associated with an organization that gives him resources to help his mission.

I liked this first story of this series but I wasn't blown away. I think I will enjoy the subsequent books because this short story was part set up
David Dalton
I am liking Nameless. What a novel idea for a character. The Equalizer with an edge so to speak.

The key question is who is this Ace of Diamonds and what is his tie to Nameless?

Six short stories. I am intrigued. Count me in. Plus, it is written by Dean Koontz. On to the next Nameless Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2) by Dean Koontz
Dwayne Roberts
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dwayne by: Amazon
An interesting story. It reminds me of Dexter some.
Asheley
Perfect length to listen to while I made dinner tonight! I started when I began prep work on my meat and vegetables and I finished just as my oven timer went off

Nameless is a vigilante that cannot remember his own past. He has visions of strangers’ past and future. In this installment, he helps a widowed woman and her two small children by taking care of the sheriff that has forced them live in fear. The sheriff is an awful monster of a person and Nameless really makes him pay.

Because of the
Lena
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100-or-less, audio, horror
819-C59-FD-A99-E-4-B61-9444-1-C52-DE6348-BD
Thank god that ended well. I generally trust Dean Koontz but when the German Shepherd came up I hugged my own German Shepherd and hoped for the best.

This is the start of an exciting series of the Unnamed Man bringing justice.
Shalini
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had me holding my breath at many places as my vengeant heart celebrated the justice that Nameless bestowed on the sheriff and his crony who were supposed to uphold the law and protect its people, especially the children.
Dee Cherry
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
1st read by this author. Good beginning to series as Nameless done a great job ridding the town of #1 villain, a dangerous savage. I believe I'm going to enjoy this series
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
Good start- I like vigilante characters. I think the last series I read with vigilantes was Fern Michael's Sisterhood series. I need to read more of them.
Heather
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon-originals

I'm looking forward to this collection.
Stefanie
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In The Heart of the Fire is book one of the Nameless series by Dean Koontz. A collection of short stories.

This book introduces you to the character, Nameless, who suffers from amnesia and doesn’t know his real name or anything about his past. He is hired by an agency to carry out missions to eliminate bad people. Nameless also has moments of clairvoyance seeing snippets from the past and the future. He can see what his actions may or may not do.

In this book, Nameless eliminates a child predator.
Lisa
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked this! A short story series I'm about to binge on! (spoiler; I've already listened to three of them)

Our main character 'nameless' is a killer...but he kills bad people. He is a nomad with amnesia (he has only two years of memories) and a penchant for subterfuge and weapons.
He receives his missions from an unknown source and he gets results!

Think Jack Reacher meets Jason Bourne!
Obsidian
Not a bad first book in the series. Just a bit too new Koontz for me. I was hoping for some horror, but this one will do. There's a damn dog, but at least it's not a golden retriever. And for once the dog didn't have super powers. I think that the flow after a bit was a bit off. And I think that Nameless felt like a hybrid of Odd Thomas and a few Koontz heroes mixed in. At least this guy doesn't seem to be a former military man with the ability to just shoot people in like five seconds. I will ...more

• Play Dirty
  • Once Night Falls
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Dirty Letters
  • Unspeakable Things
  • The Elephant Tree
  • In the Unlikely Event
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
  • Magic Hour
  • The Zombie Room
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
  • I Am Pilgrim
  • The Pulse (Geostorm #2)
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1)
  • The Lion's Den
  • Odds On
  • In the Dark
  • Summer Frost

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the

Nameless (6 books)
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
“Worstead exists” 0 likes
“Webs quiver in the corners of the ceiling. Spiders react to his entrance, legs plucking gossamer harp strings without making music.” 0 likes