Start by marking “In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)” as Want to Read:
In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)

In the Heart of the Fire

(Nameless #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  39,217 ratings  ·  1,833 reviews

A bloodthirsty sheriff is terrorizing a small Texas town where justice has been buried with his victims. Until Nameless arrives—a vigilante whose past is a mystery and whose future is written in blood.

Anyone who crosses Sheriff Russell Soakes is dead, missing, or warned. One of them is a single mother trying to protect her children but bracing herself for the worst. Namele

Published November 12th 2019 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about In the Heart of the Fire, please sign up.
Sharon Rosenberg I'm under the impression that it won't be available in hardcover. This is part of a series of short stories, and they're all on Kindle. :)…moreI'm under the impression that it won't be available in hardcover. This is part of a series of short stories, and they're all on Kindle. :)(less)

·  39,217 ratings  ·  1,833 reviews

Start your review of In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
Peter
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I didn't read a Dean Koontz novella for ages and quite liked this one. Fast paced, with a shot of supernatural mystery, a psychic investor without memory (he goes by the name of Nameless) drives to Worstead County. He plans to eliminate a psychopath and child molester. What is the problem in his task? And why is the job so dangerous? Dean Koontz sends you on an intriguing journey with "Ben Shepherd" (the name Nameless uses). Will he succeed and defeat a mighty enemy? Compelling action meets crim ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
4.5 Stars ⭐️

I haven’t read Mr.Koontz in awhile so these short stories are a pleasant surprise!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Constantine
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it

Rating: 3.5/5.0

Genre:
Mystery Thriller + Short Story

A good start for a series. We follow a nameless character, I think he calls himself nameless too! He is a vigilante though he rejects to be called that. Ace of Diamonds (Another unknown character) gives him this mission to take down a corrupt cop.

The story is linear but has lots of mystery to it. Of course, we don't get answers to who Nameless is and why is he doing what he is doing. It makes things more intriguing to start the next book in the
Char
I was expecting a dog, a good guy and a bad guy. I got all 3- but in spite of that, I liked this short story.

The above is the reason I quit reading Koontz in the first place. It seemed to me that all of his books were the same. After WATCHERS and a few other Koontz books made me quickly fall in love with him, the re-use of that same formula over and over again made me fall out of love with him, just as quickly.

I like the mystery surrounding Nameless, and I'm in to see what happens next.
Kimberly
In the Heart of the Fire is a very quick read, but in a few pages Dean Koontz managed to write an interesting tale. A clairvoyant vigilante called "Nameless" hunts down an evil predator. The events in this story cover some difficult issues but Koontz never becomes too graphic.

Book one has left me with a lot of unanswered questions. I'm curious to know more about "Nameless" and the Ace of Diamonds. So I look forward to the next installment.
Tim
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Another short story that seems so. 3 of 10 stars
Obsidian
Not a bad first book in the series. Just a bit too new Koontz for me. I was hoping for some horror, but this one will do. There's a damn dog, but at least it's not a golden retriever. And for once the dog didn't have super powers. I think that the flow after a bit was a bit off. And I think that Nameless felt like a hybrid of Odd Thomas and a few Koontz heroes mixed in. At least this guy doesn't seem to be a former military man with the ability to just shoot people in like five seconds. I will s ...more
Ginger
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
Oh hello, Dean Koontz. It's been awhile.

Back in my early 20s, I was on a huge Koontz book kick. I read every Koontz book that I could get my grubby hands on.
And it's so nice to read his work again!

In the Heart of the Fire is the first book in the Nameless series.
Each book is a short story about the character Ben Shepherd. That's the name that he's given himself due to amnesia.

Ben doesn't know who he was in his past but now he's a vigilante nomad that goes after the worst of the worst. He's a con
Richard
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prime-reading
A clever idea for a protagonist.
Ace of Diamonds is an agency outside of the law, but what side of justice do they take. Nameless is their agent but is he a gun for hire or a vigilante one man army.
In a well orchestrated operation this guy alights from a bus and follows his preplanned instructions. Since this is the first in a series of short stories we do not know if he is light or dark. However, his status as an agent is bizarre as amnesia and a lack of memories makes him almost an automaton.
Fo
Sheila Beaumont
Excellent short thriller with hints of the supernatural, the first in Dean Koontz's new "Nameless" series. Loved the dog! I'm looking forward to reading the other five books in this series. ...more
Deb
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a real page turner, fast and exciting. The Dean Koontz style I love.
Michael Hicks
My review of IN THE HEART OF THE FIRE can be found at High Fever Books.

I used to be a voracious reader of Dean Koontz back in the 90s and early part of the 2000s, but fell off the bandwagon around the time By the Light of the Moon and a string of other clunkers came out and he traded the intriguing and unfinished Christopher Snow series for the much too-earnest and goofball comedy of Odd Thomas. Koontz was growing increasingly saccharine and annoying at the turn of the century, putting a particu
Juli
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He is called Nameless. He doesn't remember his name or his past. The man is a wanderer, a whisp of smoke, a force to be reckoned with that will be forgotten after he leaves. He is a killer....but only of those who need killing. He receives assignments from a person known only as Ace of Diamonds. And then he kills. Quick. Clean. No trace left behind.

In this first Nameless story, the target is a pedophile sheriff. He has been victimizing people for a long time, destroying the proof of his deeds.
NILTON TEIXEIRA
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well... this short story of only 62 pages was not very well developed and It’s a bit confusing. Too many names involved in a very short time. And the story wasn’t that engaging. I thought I was reading 162 pages.
There are some good moments. Actually, the best parts are when the main character has visions of occurrences in the future or from the past.
This is the first of a series of short stories, especially for Amazon. As I’m a Amazon Prime subscriber, I have access to this series (and several o
Montzalee Wittmann
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the Heart of the Fire
Nameless, Book 1
By: Dean Koontz
Narrated by: Edoardo Ballerini
Nameless deals with a corrupt Sheriff and associate. Dozens of missing people, mostly young girls, have gone missing since the Sheriff came into power. Great story and narration.

Jim C
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a short story and is part of a series of short stories. In this one, we follow the main character, Nameless, as he helps a woman protect her children from a sheriff of a local county who likes little children. Nameless has the power to see the future and he is associated with an organization that gives him resources to help his mission.

I liked this first story of this series but I wasn't blown away. I think I will enjoy the subsequent books because this short story was part set up a
Norah Una Sumner
i hate men...

description

super interested to see where this series goes!
Henry
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Start

This is a good beginning to the "Nameless" series by the very prolific Dean Koontz. You will not be disappointed.
Lisazj1
4.5 stars! If every one of these snippets *too damn short* are like this, I’m going to love this series! I really like Nameless already. I want to know more about him too but at the same time, I kind of don’t mind knowing him just as we do.

I don’t know who’s pulling Nameless’s strings but they’re kind of my heroes. Justice is sweet.

Great narration as well, and I’m already into the next one! ❤️
Tom
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars rounded up to 5 Stars. Woo! This guy Nameless really intrigues me. Sort of a Jason Bourne type (trained assassin with amnesia) except the organization he is working for at least at this point seems to be working for good and their goal is to discharge justice against evil. There is even a Charlie handler type as in Charlie's Angels named Ace of Diamonds who texts instructions instead of calls. Okay I'm hooked onto the next installment. ...more
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess)
5 stars.

Very short book but a page turner. It is a gruesome subject. The author unique and wonderful writing style makes this book a winner plus the ending. These were two evil villains that show proof that evil does exist in this world. I look forward to the next book in this series! I plan to reread down the road.

🇺🇸🦋🐼💀

Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written beginning to the Nameless series. The two main themes in my mind are absolute power corrupts and karma is a b*tch. Though the story is dark, it's not graphic in a way that horrifies. ...more
♥Sharon♥
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
Oooh I think I’ve stumbled upon a great series of short reads! Interested in this guy Nameless. 🤔🤔
jenny✨
There is no turning back. This is his life: confrontation with the darkness that has nothing to do with an absence of light.

After reading Kin and now In the Heart of the Fire, I've come to realize that I LOVE reading about Bermuda Triangle-esque settings—a region in which folks disappear without a trace, a predator lurking in plain sight, all of this occurring for years.

I also love when justice is served to these predators, which is certainly true for the villains in Kin and in this novella
Armand Rosamilia
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gritty and slightly different from what I'm used to from Koontz, which is a good thing. I love how lately his work keeps me guessing, and he's not afraid to go really dark, which I enjoyed. On to the next one! ...more
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"
4 stars

I listened to this one - it was good. I couldn't put it down. I want to read/listen to the others in the series. Who is Nameless? From where/who does he get his orders? Why can't he remember anything from his past? He makes sure that people are held accountable for their actions.
Dea
Dec 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5
This was too short but interesting.
Chelsey (a_novel_idea11)
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not for the faint of heart! But definitely grabbed my attention more than I expected and I’ll certainly be picking up more of these novellas!

• Red Russia
  • The Names of the Dead
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin, #1)
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
  • A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's Testing of America
  • The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock
  • Unspeakable Things
  • The Pulse (Geostorm #2)
  • Thin Air (Jessica Shaw, #1)
  • Geostorm The Shift: A Post-Apocalyptic EMP Survival Thriller (The Geostorm Series Book 1)
  • Leave the Living
  • Living the Dream
  • The Cold
  • The Unannounced Christmas Visitor
  • Down Came the Rain (Olivia Thompson #3)
  • The Debriefing
  • The Pain Colony (The Colony #1)
  • Web of Extinction (Zone War, #3)

Dean, the author of many #1 New York Times bes

Nameless (6 books)
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)

Articles featuring this book

What's popular this holiday season? Where the Crawdads Sing continues its super hot streak, as does Tara Westover's Educated , while newer...
“Flying across the faces of the buildings, the shadows resemble dragons, as if Texas has gone Tolkien.” 1 likes
“This is his life: confrontation with the darkness that has nothing to do with an absence of light.” 0 likes