Start by marking “Daphne Byrne #1” as Want to Read:
Daphne Byrne #1

Daphne Byrne #1

(Daphne Byrne #1)

In the gaslit splendor of late 19th-century New York, rage builds inside 14-year-old Daphne. The sudden death of her father has left her alone with her irresponsible, grief-stricken mother-who becomes easy prey for a group of occultists promising to contact her dead husband. While fighting to disentangle her mother from these charlatans, Daphne begins to sense a strange, ...more
Published January 8th 2020 by DC Black Label

To ask other readers questions about Daphne Byrne #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daphne Byrne #1

Start your review of Daphne Byrne #1
Derek
An okay-enough start to what promises to be a great series. To early to tell, but I'm optimistic about this. The next couple of issues will tell.
Aiden Merchant
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
It's too early to tell if this story will interest me or not, and the art isn't to my liking.
Bonnie
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Probably 3.5 stars. I was hoping for a bit more story. But I love the art!
Tobin Elliott
If there is a common thread through any of the Hill House-branded comic book series, it's that the first issue of each is generally okay, without much beyond character building occurring. And usually each first issue ends with a bit of a bang.

That's no different here, and while I know nothing about the writer, Laura Marks, I've seen a lot of Kelley Jones' art over the years and it seems a little...subdued.

The other series in Joe Hill's group have been quite good, so I'm more than willing to
Kate
My local comic book shop owner suggested this one to me, as he knew that I have also been reading "the Dollhouse: Family" by Joe Hill. I am so glad that he did suggest it to me, as I think I prefer this one to "The Dollhouse."
So far, I have read numbers 1 and 2 of this series. With number 1, there was obviously an element of scene setting, and introduction of the characters. But, I also think that number 1 gave you enough of the horror to get you hooked on the story.
The basic premise behind
Stefan
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
#1 of the limited series. It's a bit early to say if the story will develop into something nice but from what I got in this first issue, there's quite a bit of potential for this to take really grotesquely fun turns. In a few words, the story takes place in the 19th century and we meet Daphne Byrne, a girl who's bullied at school, still mourning the loss of her father and who's invited to a medium by her mother, being assured by her that "it's really him". Of course things don't go quite as ...more
Alexa Moon
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this. The setting, the characters, the plot. The art style is absolutely magnificent. Horror at its finest. I've been waiting for a gruesome kind of horror from Hill House Comics and here we have it, finally! More demons that might give me nightmares, please. I am dying to see where the story goes!
Roman Colombo
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a good start. Daphne is a really interesting character and the story is promising. The only thing that didn't work was the art. The art was good--but didn't match the tone or feel of the story. It was kind of too clean and would work better for something like Harley Quinn or Fantastic Four. Something more fun or traditional.

But I'm definitely reading more.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, comics
I mean, I should like this more, because Spiritualists! But so far I'm cold on it. Not much progression with the plot and in the interview with the author she comes across as smug and lacking knowledge of horror from or set in the end of the 1800s.
James
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
2.75 stars. Just a barely ok first issue. We learn who Daphne is and that her father had died and she misses him. Has a peculiar dream that seems it might have been real. Not much of a hook to pull you into the next issue. Maybe I’ll read it, maybe I won’t.
John

• The Low, Low Woods (2019-) #2
  • Basketful of Heads (2019-) #2
  • Basketful of Heads (2019-) #1
  • The Dollhouse Family #4
  • Locke and Key: Dog Days (Locke & Key)
  • The Low, Low Woods (2019-) #3
  • Family Tree #2
  • Plunge #1
  • Family Tree #3
  • Family Tree #1
  • Dying is Easy #2 (of 5)
  • Dying is Easy #1 (of 5)

Daphne Byrne (2 books)