Start by marking “The Conman” as Want to Read:
The Conman

The Conman

Conor Nash has lived his life with a single purpose—to pitch in the Major Leagues. He’s been released from professional baseball contracts ten times over a sixteen-year career, but he’s overcome every obstacle to finally reach The Show when he’s a decade too old.
As he faces the specter of injury-forced retirement, he becomes a man neither he nor his wife recognizes. Durin
Published November 11th 2019 by Acorn Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Conman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Conman

Start your review of The Conman
Lance
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every young boy who has played baseball has dreams of one day playing in the major leagues. For Conor Nash, that dream not only became a reality, it became an obsession and addiction to be able to pitch as long as possible. Conor's adventures into becoming a major league pitcher with MANY different teams in both the major and minor leagues is the story of this novel by Michael Murphey. The story is based upon the real-life career of Keith Comstock, who was listed as a contributor to the book.

Th
Bill Russo
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is not just a baseball book but one about the journey taken in pursuit of a dream. Anyone that has played the game or baseball or has pursued any type of career goal will immediately identify with Conor Nash. You get a strong sense of the single minded purpose that goes into the struggle of not only achieving your goal but holding onto it once you get there.

You also see the strong support from family and friends that is needed by those daring enough to hold themselves out there in pursuit o
Greg Cadaret
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having walked a similar path in my career it was still interesting and informative to see it from a contemporaries eyes. Though I never punched a Hall of Farmer! Mike did a great job of bringing Keith’s career to life!
Book Reviewer
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Conman by Mike Murphey is based on a true story of the life of professional baseball player, Keith Comstock. The story follows Conor Nash a professional baseball player. His sole mission in life is to pitch in the major leagues. He has been released from his baseball contracts ten times within his 16 year career. After being forced to retire due to an injury he is not able to recognize the person he has become. He goes on a journey to discover who he is now that he can no longer pitch.

Mike M
Andrea Stoeckel
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“‘When others don’t believe in you, you just have to believe in yourself that much more’~Jackie Robinson “

This fictional biography is based on a real person: Keith Comstock; a baseball player who pitched for 16 years with a number of different Clubs, and with a lot of players I remember in my lifetime. However, Conor Nash is both the focus AND the narrator, talking about how he, and three other friends grew up.

As the book opens,Conor, last of a tontine, has scrambled up Camelback Mountain to dri
C. Gonzales
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a book by Mike Murphey before, it was much different than this one, but I found his writing style to be similar even though the books are so vastly different. I enjoy the way he puts together a story. For this one, its a novel that is based on a true story so there were a lot of facts Murphey had to make sure he got correct. I'm an avid Baseball fan, I love everything about that sport. It's my favorite sport! I thoroughly enjoyed the way the author gave us an authentic look into the ba ...more
Gary Salhany
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was as much fun as I've ever had reading a book, sports theme or otherwise, since "Ball Four" as a teenager when my older brother loaned me a copy of Bouton's controversial book. I think we can all relate to the Conman's dreams, trials, and tribulations of wanting to become a big league star.
I believe the reader will especially appreciate how all the subplots come together to produce a realistic, but great ending.
Samantha Turley
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m a baseball fan and I think that this book does a great job of balancing a story about perserverance and moving forward when the life you had planned doesn’t work out. It also does a great job of highlighting so many elements in every day life that we can learn for. Reading true stories of others always seems to put things in perspective for me and I thoroughly enjoyed Mike Murphey’s words and Keith Comstock’s journey through Connor Nash.
Jennifer Patino
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great storytelling

This was a very entertaining book. I've read Mike Murphey before and he's a wonderful storyteller, penning fantastically funny dialogue, standout characters, and well paced prose that makes you really want to see how it will all end. It's really cool that this is based on a true story. Kudos to Keith Comstock for sharing his baseball stories. Well written, full of fun stats and famous baseball names. Four stars.
Gina Stamper
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is just a wonderful piece of writing. I loved the fact that it was inspired by a true story. I felt like that just gave it something extra. Mike Murphey really has a way of connecting his reader with his character. I really felt for Conor through his struggles and rooted for him. He had some lows and I was frustrated with him at times, but he was a compelling main character.
Mike MacDonald
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An odyssey indeed

I've had the privilege of knowing a couple of guys who come close to living this story. I could listen to them talk baseball all day long. We as fans never get to see the true drama that goes with the life of a pro ballplayer, but The Conman brings us as close to living it as we'll get.
Well researched, written, and shows a true love for baseball. Thanks.
R.D. Kardon
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Walk-Off Grand Slam

As a baseball fan and lover of good stories, I thoroughly enjoyed Mike Murphy's take on the life most professional athletes lead. Conor Nash ends up as Starman, but never a star. His is the story of the rest of us. Highly recommend.
Pamela McCord
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I knew I would, after I read Mike Murphey's first book, "Section Roads." I didn't know what to expect with this book, but I fell in love with all the characters and couldn't wait to see how it all turned out. Mike's writing style is engaging and wonderful. ...more
Maggie Mae
The Conman by Mike Murphey is an interesting read that pulls you in and leaves you wanting more. A story that is inspiring yet heartbreaking. The characters are intriguing and well-written. *I received a complimentary copy from RABT Book Tours and the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.*
Brenda Moser
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a well written book with strong characters and an interesting story line. The author brings a fast paced story and pulls you in with the detailed scenes. I was hooked from start to finish. I would recommend this book.

Truly Trendy PR
The Conman is a fast-paced sports fiction that is sure to take you right on the field. Full of inspiring and determined characters with a story that is sure to leave you wanting more. A captivating story that will leave you wanting more. *I received a complimentary copy from RABT Book Tours and the author in exchange or an honest and unbiased review.*
Cassidy Granger
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Personally, this one was not for me. I didn't like how his writing style and how he transitioned topics. Alot of times I would be confused on how he got to that point in the story, and I'd always have to go back and reread to figure it out.
Overall, it was a good story. But the writing itself wasn't great.

David B. Roper

• Gathering Blue
  • Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family
  • Dark Places
  • Where the Red Fern Grows
  • Hidden Bodies (You, #2)
  • The Lovely Bones
  • Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)
  • Lock Every Door