Start by marking “Leaving Wishville” as Want to Read:
Leaving Wishville

Leaving Wishville

Ten years ago, Scott Marino disappeared from town without a trace.

His son Benji, now fourteen, is the only person daring enough to approach the border. Although his best friends are eager to help him move on, he can’t shake the feeling that his father is still out there.

Everyone in town says it’s impossible. They believe Scott’s disappearance proves the world outside of Wi
Paperback
Published February 8th 2020 by Lost Island Press

To ask other readers questions about Leaving Wishville, please sign up.
Esperanza Nope. But you need to have in mind that it was written for teens between 13 and 18 years of age. However, in my opinion it's suitable for for anyone a…moreNope. But you need to have in mind that it was written for teens between 13 and 18 years of age. However, in my opinion it's suitable for for anyone above the age of 8.(less)

Start your review of Leaving Wishville
Eleanor
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was a beta reader for this book, and it's one of my top reads of 2020, I loved it!

I must be honest and say I was a little apprehensive before I started reading this, but once I did start, I was completely hooked. Torrefranca’s writing is beautifully lyrical, and the story is a compelling read. All in all, this made it a very hard book to put down, I read it in 3 days 🥰!

Torrefranca captures that child-like innocence that creates curiosity in children, and uses that classic teenage desire to reb
Lucas James
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to have been a beta reader for this book, and I can say this with 100% confidence that this is one of the best middle grade/young adult books I have ever read. I read this book on my laptop (I find it hard to concentrate then) but I still read it in two days, somehow. I have no clue how that happened.

Mel has mastered the craft of creating relatable and sympathetic characters. Each character has their only little trait that really makes seem like human beings that could exist.
Millie Florence
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Haunting and rich with a world that spring to life in one’s mind, Leaving Wishville, was a treat to read. I was an early beta reader for this book, and can vouch for the fact that since I read it, roughly three fourths of the book has been re-written word for word. Such hard work and dedication has paid off, and the book has improved tremendously since its early stages. The flow of the plot is almost flawless, the characters distinctive and the world of Wishville real down to the last detail.
The
Luc-Tanton Tran
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I heard about the beta reading for the book a few months ago. However, I missed the deadlines for the event and was not able to read the book until recently. When I was sent the book to read, I had high expectations since everyone seemed to like the book based on the beta version. The book didn't disappoint me, from its characters to its ending. The plot was able to consistently hold my attention throughout the book and left me satisfied.
Nina Martineck
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen-authors
I think of Leaving Wishville and hear the ocean. I see that misty gray that doesn't seem like it's a real color. Unsettlingly cozy.

Mel Torrefranca does a phenomenal job of transporting her readers into a completely different place. Though I read this book curled up in my room or on my back porch, I always felt as if I were in Wishville, all but tasting the ocean. Every detail, each line of dialogue, even each punctuation mark settles in your chest and tugs. Coming from a small town myself, I'm a
Julie Mozart
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I heard ARCs were open for Leaving Wishville, I was so excited. I had been waiting forever to read something by Melissa Torrefranca, and I couldn’t wait to read it.

Leaving Wishville was another one of those books that I struggled to choose a star rating for. I went to sleep last night with the sure idea that I’d be marking down 4 stars on Googreads. I woke up this morning know that the only reason I took off a star was because I didn’t want it to end. There are so many reasons I wanted to
Nikki
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
By a teen writer, just like me. I loved the idea of the book and I hope that Mel Torrefranca releases more books in the future, I would love to read them!
Thibault
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
YouTube recommended me one of Mel’s videos. Next thing I know, I’m reading her book.

The people are certain that anyone who leaves Wishville will die. Benji’s father tried to prove them wrong, he left Wishville and never came back.
Now Benji wants to follow in his footsteps and leave Wishville himself but his friends are always there to stop him. He makes it easy for them though, writing down when he’ll leave and leaving his plans for them to find.
A friend’s dying sister slips him an envelope. Whe
Angeline
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Vivid descriptions, thrilling plot and fascinating character personalities. All of which present in this very book written by Mel Torrefranca.

A place where no one knows the outside world and known to no one else but its residents, Benji Marino wants to know more. He wants to know what is out there. Paradise? Certain death? His father's fate? Yet he doubts whether or not he should do it.

A bright red envelope changed this.

It changed everything. His friendship, his goals, the time left for him to a
Khushi Bhatnagar
fantabulous! that's the only word that comes to my mind. one of the best books I've ever read. no one can question her ability to put emotions into words. for that reason alone, I'll definitely read anything she writes in future.
Esperanza
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Leaving Wishville by Mel Torrefranca was an incredible read. Overall, strong and relatable characters, amazing plot and a happy reader here :)
The message was so clear and strong that it made me reflect about my relationships with my own friends, just like how Benji, James, Sam and Chloe did during their crisis.
Benja recalde
Valeria
Mar 20, 2020

• 100 Days of Sunlight
  • Crenshaw
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Awkward
  • Doctor Who: Dark Universe
  • バッカーノ!2002【A side】Bullet Garden (Baccano!, #12)
  • Battle Strategies (Learn to Play Go, #4)
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Sanctuary (Angel: Season 3, #5)
  • The Half Glass Girl
  • バッカーノ!2002【B side】Blood Sabbath (Baccano!, #13)
  • Doctor Who: The Psychic Circus
  • Archenemies (Renegades, #2)
  • Reliquary (Stargate Atlantis, #2)
  • Light Filters In: Poems
  • Doctor Who: Subterfuge
  • Doctor Who: Love and War
MEL TORREFRANCA is an entrepreneur from Northern California. When she’s not writing fiction or filming YouTube videos, Mel enjoys minimalism, travel, and photography.

YouTube Channel
Instagram @meltorrefranca

News & Interviews

“And so it became a safe place for the four kids. Their second home. A jar of sparkling memories.” 2 likes