Start by marking “Redeye” as Want to Read:
Redeye

Redeye

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  358 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
In a masterful feat of tale-spinning and legend-making, the bestselling author of Raney and Walking Across Egypt has taken his ear for dialogue and his eye for detail to America's Wild West. Set in the turn-of-the-century mesa lands of the Colorado-Utah border, Redeye tells a tale of American expansionism, opportunism, religious fanaticism, and wide-eyed adventure.
Published April 1st 1996 by Penguin Books (first published January 4th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Redeye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redeye

Melki
1857's horrific Mountain Meadows Massacre - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountai... - was mentioned in some detail in Mark Twain's Roughing It, and reading that made me want to learn more on the subject. I remember reading about the incident for the first time in Edgerton's book and decided to open this one again. Turns out, this is not really about the day when Brigham Young ordered an attack on a wagon train, but instead about the fictitious Eagle City Shootout of 1892. Most of the novel is c ...more
Judi
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-1999
This is a humorous novel of Quakers, Mormons, Indians, a bounty hunter and his red-eyed dog. The book is styled as a "written guidebook" of the Mesa Largo Tourist Expedition including the complete history of The Eagle City Shootout of 1892. Cleverly the tour we are about to embark takes place in 1905 so it treats the events of 1892 as history. Yet by telling the story only 13 years later allows a naivete that could not be pulled off if one had to speak in our own "modern day" voice. Maybe it's t ...more
Kristi Lamont
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well. I'm not sure what I just read. And I'm willing to bet a nickel that that is how a lot of people felt after they read In Memory of Junior, also by Clyde Edgerton, and I just loved that one. So, let's just say that while there was some really good writing in this, it didn't resonate with me story-wise. And move on.
Kest Schwartzman
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
It would take real effort and skill to make this story horrendously boring. Unluckily for us, Mr. Edgerton has that skill, and made that effort.
Kirtes Calvery
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fluffy Fun Creative Novel

The author creates a cadre of unusual and often humorous characters joined in a little mystery and surprising intrigue. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Melissa
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not really a fan of westerns, but I was browsing the mystery section in the library and fortuitously came across this book, which was mis-shelved (M, W, they are close enough, aren't they?). It takes place in one of my favorite parts of the world, southwestern Colorado. The novel has a little bit of everything: history, archeology, romance, humor, economics, technology, medicine. Despite the fact that the catalyst of the book's events is the horrific Mountain Meadows massacre, the book mana ...more
John Ashline
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the first of Clyde Edgerton's novels that I have read. I must admit...I really enjoyed it. It is presented to readers as a pamphlet explaining a trip that the reader is embarking on.

He introduces a cast of characters through some of their own journal entries. These characters all took, at a point in the novel, the same trip the reader is about to take.

On their trip, a first embarking on it, there is a tragedy that is hinted at; a shoot-out. The novel leads to this moment, and doesn't fai
Michael Economy
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael by: Meg
I think this was the only book that was assigned reading in high school that I remember enjoying. It also wasn't directly assigned, the teacher gave us a list of books or authors (don't remember) and since I didn't know any of them I showed my mom and she picked one.

It was pretty cool cause before that point I guess I really didn't know that i could really enjoy reading the same kinds of books as my mom (we still maintain very different tastes in books, but there is some overlap).

That said... I
Mark
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Clyde Edgerton is definitely one of my favorite authors. He's got a deceptively straightforward style which makes an immediate impression of trueness on the surface but reveals further layers of meaning beneath. REDEYE is a departure for him since most of his stories are set in North Carolina but he's clearly at home here too. I loved the concept and structure of the book and the narrative passages are genius. Made me want to live in the world of its pages. (And I don't particularly like Western ...more
Beki
Dec 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining read. Great use of multiple voices to tell an ever-revealing story. Unreliable narrators abound. Gets a bit slow in places, but is carried through by interesting and unique characterizations. Not at all a "typical" western, but worth reading if for no other reason (and there are other reasons) than to see a "literary" treatment of genre conventions in a way that honors the genre rather than rendering them (the conventions, not the genre) unreadably boring.
Lana
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Book Club Selection-NC authors
First time reading Clyde Edgerton & this is a "kick in the pants" western story. Although humorous, he brought up history regarding a massacre caused by Mormons & Indians. The discussion on this book will be interesting. Looking forward to it. I give it 3.5 stars.
Gina
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've read virtually everything Clyde Edgerton has published, and Redeye is in the top 3. He nails the coupling of Faulknerian voicing coupled with dirt farm banter. My favorite chapter is writtten in Redeye's own words...
Catherine
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Highly recommended by DW (and therefore likely a book I would like), but I simply could not stay with the story. It felt like more work than it was supposed to be. Maybe it will seem funnier at a later date.
Katrina
Sep 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is set up like the reader is going on an expedition and in between gives the history of what previously occurred at the expedition site. Talks about the early days of mortuary science, mormon wars, and the early explorations of the cliff dwellings out in the desert--all with a humorous twist.
Sam Slaughter
May 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
While the writing itself is fine, everything else about this book is poorly done. Edgerton does not create any emotional investment in his characters and, for much of the novel, the plot is thrown at you like a Pollack painting.
Deanndra Hall
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the very first Clyde Edgerton book I ever read. I don't know how I made it all the way through - I laughed until I hurt. I still laugh when I think about the Chinaman! If I could give this book ten stars, I would.
Nann
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is the eighth Edgerton novel I've read in the past month. I preferred the others, which are set in his native North Carolina. Redeye takes place in southwestern Colorado in the 1890's. Quirky characters but none as sympathetic as those in his other books.
Kate Sweeney
People embalm on a kitchen table. As people once did.
Richard
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
My father in law suggested I might like this often humorous western that features Mormons and is somewhat related to the Mountain Meadow Massacre. He was right.
Sacha
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Easy, fast read. Tom Robbins-esque.
Anne
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
a sometimes funny western with a mean dog with one red eye
Monica Hansen
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Meh.
Brian Tucker
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
2nd work of Edgerton I've read. This one was a solid 4 stars! Entertaining Western. Read it for the "Redeye gravy" passage alone.
Marvin
Aug 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Edgerton's keen eye for the vagaries of southern culture are wasted in this Western. & there's not much else to recommend it.
Pam
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
As a huge Edgerton fan, I am a little puzzled and disappointed in Redeye. Edgerton took a serious topic and handled it in a statically, but not always successfully witty, manner. A slow read.
Rae
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns
An amusing, almost anecdotal, look at the Mountain Meadows Massacre aftermath and the discovery of Mesa Verde. Very tongue-in-cheek stuff here.
Mark
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
I like Clyde Edgerton.
This is one of his more quirky books. Not quite sure what to make of it.
Donna
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This is the first Edgerton book I've read so don't know his writing style. I blew through the book but didn't find it particularly enjoyable.
C. Earle
Dec 19, 2016
Jeannine Mallory
Oct 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Drift
  • Incident at Twenty-Mile
  • John Carter: The Movie Novelization: Also Includes: A Princess of Mars
  • Come as You Are (Dragon One, #3)
  • Prince Edward
  • Shakespeare Stories
  • The First Drop of Rain
  • The Return (The Grand Tour, #19; Voyagers, #4)
  • The Smiling Country
  • The Devil and Daniel Webster
  • Me and My Baby View the Eclipse
  • The Memoirs of Elizabeth Frankenstein
  • Sisters of Isis: Volume 1 (Sisters of Isis, #1-2)
  • The Truth About Sparrows
  • Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Reference Books)
  • Remember Ben Clayton
  • Haunted Destiny (Midnight Dragonfly, #1.5)
  • Power & Beauty: A Love Story of Life on the Streets (Power & Beauty, #1)
Clyde Edgerton is widely considered one of the premier novelists working in the Southern tradition today, often compared with such masters as Eudora Welty and Flannery O'Connor.

Although most of his books deal with adult concerns--marriage, aging, birth and death--Edgerton's work is most profoundly about family. In books such as Raney, Walking Across Egypt, The Floatplane Notebooks, and Killer Dill
More about Clyde Edgerton

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This