Start by marking “This Is the Wind” as Want to Read:
This Is the Wind

This Is the Wind

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  23 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
THE PERFECT GIFT FOR ANY NEWBORN AND THEIR FAMILY

The wind leads readers and listeners through the pages of this poetic tale of two mothers—one human, one mouse— recounting the story of giving birth to their children. Lyrically and rhythmically, the repeating chorus “This is the wind that blew on the farm on the night you were born…” guides us through the text as each page
Published September 30th 2008 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about This Is the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is the Wind

Katie
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Marisa, all the prego ladies @ the library
Shelves: faiths-books
Rhyming text, gorgeous illustrations, a creative way to tell a child their birth story. Marisa, you have to read this one!
Carolina
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: emotions, family
Great rhyming, awesome illustrations. The book follows the journey of a human mother and a mouse mother on the night they were giving birth to each of their children. It is a cumulative tale about both births.

An acitivity I would do with the children is have them ask their mothers what happened the night they gave birth to them, and then come back to class the next day and retell us the story.
Nicole
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Book #2 on my list of books for managing a fear of wind with children. Not so on topic for my need, but this is such a gorgeous (stunning, really) book! The illustrations are absolutely AMAZING! And the story is a sweet, unconventional journey of a baby's birth. Although this book probably won't help with my work on alleviating my student's fear, I plan to still read it with them and discuss how wind is everywhere and can lead to beautiful things! <3
Sarai
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This tells the story of the night a baby was born. It's an add-on story, so it starts with one phrase, then has a second and the original, then a third, the second, the original, and so on.

I picked this one up because of the art work. I particularly like the big fat baby bellowing his first cry. :)

Recommended for ages 4-8.
Heather Spergel
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story to read a child about being born. The words flow around the pages with the sweet story. Illustrations are terrific.

Sue
Dec 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cumulative tale of the day baby was born
Audrey Sanders
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-ed-340
PICTURE BOOK
Very clever,sweet, well-written story. I love how the illustrations complement the story so well. It's fun to look at the illustrations and see what they add to the story.
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 rated it liked it
"windy night you were born, cumulative tale, beautiful pictures"
K
Oct 23, 2016
Carrie
is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2017
Liz Rosenberg is an American poet, novelist, children's book author, and book reviewer. She is currently a professor of English at Binghamton University.
More about Liz Rosenberg...