Start by marking “Treasure of Green Knowe” as Want to Read:
Treasure of Green Knowe

Treasure of Green Knowe

(Green Knowe #2)

A young boy listens to his great-grandmother's tales of Green Knowe as it used to be and, gradually, as past and present blend, he shares the strange adventures of the former inhabitants.
Published December 31st 1978 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt P (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Treasure of Green Knowe, please sign up.
Angie Yes, I feel you truly do need to read the first book in order to understand what's happening in the rest. There's a tiny bit of recap, but not enough…moreYes, I feel you truly do need to read the first book in order to understand what's happening in the rest. There's a tiny bit of recap, but not enough for you to understand the meaning of several mentions, etc. (less)

Hilary
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Children of Green Knowe is our favourite book of all time. I remember as a child feeling dissapointed by this one, and rereading for a second time as an adult I still struggled with parts. The Children of Green Knowe worked so well, the present day plot was just as interesting as the encounters and stories from the past and they were interwoven and complimented each other beautifully but the present day parts of this story seemed only an excuse for the historical stories by the fire. These i ...more
Terri Lynn
I enjoyed this Green Knowe book even more than the first one. Tolly is back again, spending his spring vacation with his great grandmother at Green Knowe out in the country but is somewhat upset to find that the portrait painting of the three ancestor children who he "met" as ghosts on his Christmas visit seem to have disappeared along with the portrait that his great grandmother lent to an art exhibit. He is further alarmed when she says that money is tight because the place must have repairs ( ...more
Emily
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am rereading this beloved series. I find that when I read childhood favorites as an adult, the really good books are never silly or immature. They have a long-lasting ability to draw me in and capture the wonder I had when first reading them as a child. The house and people in this series are dear friends and their stories are timeless. I loved the line Tolly said at the end: Why do people only invent things that go faster and faster, instead of finding some way way to keep it at now? The quin ...more
Amber Scaife
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tolly spends his summer holiday at Green Knowe with his great-grandmother, befriends more of the house's ghosts and learns their stories.
I just love this series. So perfectly magic-in-the-everyday-ical. And I love that Charlie is enjoying it, too.
Ivonne Rovira
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone young enough at heart to see magic in the everyday
It was not until I began to read Treasure at Green Knowe, the second volume in L.M. Boston’s charming Green Knowe series, that I realized just how much I had missed Tolly; his great-grandmother, Mrs. Oldknow; and the spectral Toby, Linnet and Alexander, who died of bubonic plague 300 years before Tolly was born. I absolutely loved Children Of Green Knowe, a delight for adults as well as children, and none of the magic has disappeared in this volume, which originally appeared in 1958 under the title The Chimneys Of ...more
Mathew
A historical and environmental conservationist whose focus is so often on a sense of place and the feeling we get in these spaces, Boston's second book, for me, is, ironically, one that may be stuck in the time in which it is written. Chimneys sees Tolly's second visit to Green Knowe riddled with a mystery involving the hunt for some missing jewels that are required to keep the site afloat due to maintenance costs.
As with The Children of Green Knowe, Tolly is enveloped in both present and past
Cherie
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the stories that Granny tells to Tolly about the old house and the family.
Home on Spring break, Tolly explores the old house and looks for treasure.
We meat cousin Susan and her friend Jacob.

The narration by Simon Vance is mesmerizing. I cannot wait to start the next one.
stormhawk
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series of children's books, which are full of mystery and magic. The house at Green Knowe touches bother the present and the past as the backdrop of the adventures of Tolly, a young boy who comes to live there between school terms.
Annalisa
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tower-2018
This is a nice very light children's adventure story. Not much happens as far as action goes, but Tolly is visiting his grandmother on holiday and learns about Green Knowe, the house he is staying at, through stories and exploring. I enjoyed listening to this lots.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Three and a half stars. At first I thought I wouldn't like this volume as much as the first, but I did. Each installment seems to be so different from the others; in this one, Tolly and Great-Grandma are the same but the 17th century painting is gone, replaced by an 18th century one. Of course it comes with its own ghosts and encounters. This time Tolly gets to play a larger part in the life of the past. For some strange reason I was strongly reminded of an American "ghost" story, The Ghost of Opalina ...more
Susan
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, library
Audiobook. Tolly is back visiting at Greene Knowe, and he and his great-grandmother explore more family stories as she mends old patchwork quilts. The family stories seem less fresh and more contrived than in The Children of Green Knowe, but there is still much to enjoy. As the narrator, Simon Vance creates the atmosphere of Green Knowe and cozy evenings of storytelling by the fire.
Verity W
So I read some of this series as a child, and was reading this with a view to then passing it on to my 8-year-old niece who is a voracious reader. In my memory, this was a sweet series with ghosts. And bits of this still are BUT it has a young black boy in this who has been rescued from being a slave and some of the language and the way this is done is... of its time and means that I've decided against sending this to my niece. It's beautifully written and atmospheric and there are things that I ...more
Ivan
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremly well written and compelling. However, not nearly as wonderful or wonder full as the first. Is that because we know what to expect? Perhaps. The first story was exquisite in its simplicity and wrapped in a sure and flawless prose. This second novel has more mystery and new characters both good and evil. L. M. Boston is a truly gifted writer. Enjoy.
Plethora
This book covers Tolly's spring visit to his Grandmother's house in Green Knowe. I really enjoyed his Tolly learns about the past inhabitants of the house and their daily life. He meets Susan and Jacob who are sure to win your heart, as they make a dynamic duo. This series makes me wish to have a granny that would share such wonderful stories with me.
Mir
I guess I must have read this at some point, since I remember the part about the blind girl her stupid brother and his horrible friend forcing the slave boy to climb the chimney. I don't remember the rest with Tolly and his grandmother and the treasure, though, and I don't feel interested enough to reread it.
Lucy Beban
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and the historical and mystery sides of it. I was introduced to this book by my mother and though i found the first book less engaging i really liked this one.It addresses the themes of discrimination and prejudice through how many characters treat Jacob.
Emily
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
This second book in the Green Knowe series was a big disappointment. I absolutely loved the first one, but this one was full of casual racism. I guess this isn't surprising, as it was published in the 1950s, but it was still hard to stomach.
Michael Fitzgerald
The present-day stuff was predictable and kind of boring, but the stories from the past were wonderful.
CLM
Dec 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk, childrensbooks, series
I'm not saying this is my favorite because I think I like the first one best but I have always been fascinated by the embroidery done with hair in this book!
Angela Randall
That was a good, fun read. And now, I can watch "From Time To Time", which seems to have an excellent cast and I'm very excited about.
Anna Katharine
I loved- and was slightly unsettled by- the Green Knowe series as a kid, and I'm glad to revisit them. I'm still charmed by the story, and love the relationship between Tolly and his grandmother. The amount of ambiguity present in the existence of the 'others,' and the nature of their interaction with the modern world, now seems like creative story telling; as an adult reader, I can appreciate the ambiguity without needing the solid answers I wanted as a kid. Rereading as a modern adult, though, ...more
Kara Bennett
I had a hard time with this book. I loved the first and enjoyed parts of this, but my enthusiasm for this book was squashed by the treatment of Jacob. I can't quite sort the time period that Tolly inhabits, so perhaps expecting Tolly and his grandmother to reflect on the treatment of Jacob was too much. This is not a book I will keep in my collection; there are already too many books written by western European colonizers with a white man 'saving' a stereotyped version of a person of color.
David
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The weakest of the original series - it relies too much on telling the old history, rather than imagining it - but it still has some enchanting scenes: chimney- and tree-climbing, a big fire, and juju.
Philip Swan
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful the way the quilting connects and shapes the narrative. Lucy Boston gets into the minds of say a 10 year old and uses language in such a rich and focussed way. What a house. What an adventure.
Paula
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming book. Certainly a missed book from my childhood. The language is some what dated, though there is a strong moral message to it. I enjoyed the time slip elements to it. I look forward to read more books by the author, Lucy M. Boston.
Lexi
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The novel bounces between two stories, but in such a smooth, seamless way. I love how she writes a blind character.
Thea
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four and a half stars
Hayley
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
Arrived in the mail as a present to read during exam period. Excellent description. I would like to visit the Green Knowe mansion one day...
Unacra
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jinx
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
I listened to the audiobook narrated by Simon Vance and it was a delight. I had a few issues with the story, but overall quite enjoyed the book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Return to Gone-Away
  • Go Saddle the Sea (Felix Brooke, #1)
  • Seven-Day Magic
  • Linnets and Valerians
  • The Phoenix and the Carpet (Five Children #2)
  • The Gawgon and the Boy
  • Swallowdale (Swallows and Amazons, #2)
  • The Little Grey Men
  • Minnow on the Say
Lucy M. Boston (1892–1990), born Lucy Maria Wood, was an English novelist who wrote for children and adults, publishing her work entirely after the age of 60. She is best known for her "Green Knowe" series: six low fantasy children's novels published by Faber between 1954 and 1976. The setting is Green Knowe, an old country manor house based on Boston's Cambridgeshire home at Hemingford Grey. For ...more

Green Knowe (6 books)