Start by marking “The Third Magic” as Want to Read:
The Third Magic

The Third Magic

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  168 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Fifteen-year-old Morgan Lefevre is mistaken for one of her ancestors while visiting Tintagel, King Arthur's birthplace in England. In this vivid and innovative interpretation of the King Arthur legend, she is summoned through time to the alien world of Nwm. With her only companion, the boy Arduu, she is caught between the opposing cruelties of the two Magics, the Circle, a ...more
Published March 31st 2000 by Groundwood Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Third Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Magic

Dec 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teenage Me could not get enough of this book. I always loved Arthurian legends, and this is such a vivid and unusual telling. I wrote a review of this book on once, after I had bought a stack of Teenage Me books in a fit of nostalgia. And, amazingly, I got an email from the author! He thanked me for my kind words, and was very glad that I had enjoyed the book. For that, this book will always be a favorite.
Lauren Acton
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-faves
I loved this book as a child and reread it constantly throughout my school years. I haven't touched it in a while, but it definitely gave me a lifelong love of books set in alternate worlds, and retellings of familiar myths and stories. It also gave me a love of Welwyn Wilton Katz - I read everything of hers that I could get my hands on. She and I are from the same city and I loved that some of her other books (eg. False Face) were set there.
In The Third Magice, we are introduced to Arddu, a you
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have no sweet clue how I originally ended up with this book. I think this was one of those random picks while browsing the bookstore shelves; hey this looks fun, mum can I get this? I was probably like... 14 or so when I first read it. My interpretation of it has changed some with a rereading at 28, though; but I still come out loving the book.

The good: it's a really cool original take on the Arthurian legend. It's interesting from the start and all the way through, and the slow reveal is a hu
J. Collbran
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
The Third Magic (1988) by Welwyn Wilton Katz is a young adult fantasy by a Canadian author that re-imagines and redirects the familiar Arthurian story. It begins on the world of Nwm, where the First Magic of water and circles is worked by the women Sisters, and the Second Magic of fire and iron worked by the men of the Line. Morrigan (Rigan) and her twin brother Arddu live in Nwm, but they are separated when Rigan is missioned to Earth’s past to take part in the struggle with M’rlendd (Merlin) t ...more
The Third Magic is an interesting, but not terribly successful, take on the Arthurian mythos. When 15-year-old Morgan Lefevre travels with her parents to the ruins of Tintagel in Cornwall, she is mysteriously transported from our world to the world of Nwm, where two groups of sorcerers (the female Circle and the male Line) have been in conflict for centuries. There she meets a boy named Arddu and discovers the secret of their connection to each other and to King Arthur.

The premise of The Third M
Celeste H.
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I remember going to my elementary school's library (we had elementary up until the 7th grade) and, while all the other kids in the class would run to the Goosebump books, I ran to this one. After reading it once I proceeded to fill up the name card over a course of years, taking this book out over and over again, reading it over and over and over again. I was never into Arthurian legends, but this was such a fantastically crafted story. As an adult, I made a point of seeking out a copy of this ( ...more
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was much younger, maybe 11 or 12. I remember pulling it off the shelf at the Big Bend Library in St. Louis. I was immediately immersed in this Arthurian legend of sorts. So magical.

For YEARS, I searched for this book, but I had the title all wrong. I was searching for The Third Planet (because there is some interplanetary-ness to the plot). I don't know what popped in my head to search for The Third Magic, but I did and I found it. It was every bit as magical as when I r
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I adored this book as a child. It was right up there with The Chronicles of Narnia and A Wrinkle in Time as my favorite fantasy books that I read when I was young. In fact, when it was time to get rid of the books that I'd outgrown, I couldn't bear to part with this one. It's still sitting on my bookshelf alongside the copies of the books I mentioned above and will soon be gracing my 8 year old daughter's shelf, though I might have to read it one more time before I pass it on to her. Just saying ...more
Oct 13, 2008 rated it liked it
The story was interwoven rather nicely into the Arthurian story with just enough familiarity to the story to make it recognizable but enough different to not be sure how it would all turn out. It was a bit confusing at the beginning because the author just threw us into the story and didn't explain a lot. I'm also not sure that I ever completely identified with the characters - I'm not sure that I cared enough about what would happen to them.
Natalie Leblanc
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time sing I've read this book, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit. I'd love to come across it again to see if it's just as good as I remember it.

Update: So I've now reread this book, and I enjoyed it just as much, if not more. When I first read it, I wasn't very familiar with the King Arthur legend, so a lot of it went right over my head. Actually knowing what was being referenced made a huge difference!
Mar 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Junior Fantasy Fans
I read this book when I was young, and then again when I was older. A twist on Arthurian legend. It really sucks me in. On second review however, I found it to be more frightening. Severed heads? I don't remember severed heads?
Susana Silva
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books!! It's been years since I read it, but I was thinking about it the other day, and am about to start a re-read. The first time I read it I was in grade 6 or so, and I fell in love with the whole genre. It's what started my love of it, I'm sure.
David Temrick
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was a child and loved it. It absolutely sparked my interest in fantasy novels at a very young and impressionable age. If you have kids, or you yourself loved Harry Potter, you should enjoy this book immensely.
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I remember devouring this book when I was nine. Some of the visuals are still with me.
M. Pax
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.
Samantha Porter
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Fell in love with this book in public school and its been with me ever since then. Its one of the only books that no matter how much I prepare myself, I cry, and always at the same part.
Jan 18, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
My one-word review in 1992: "Lousy."
Sophie Ranger_of_the_oakleaf
I love this book! It has an interesting, worldly plot, and well-developed characters.
Feb 02, 2014
Aaron Carson
Jan 07, 2012
Feb 16, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What's The Name o...: Modern Girl travelling in Britain is really Morgan le Fay reincarnated [s] 3 65 Apr 23, 2013 11:17AM
Circle Versis Line 1 4 Nov 30, 2012 09:39PM
  • The Druid's Tune
  • A Handful of Time
  • Hero of Lesser Causes
  • Who Is Frances Rain?
  • The Root Cellar
  • Stones (Garnet and Raphaella, #1)
  • Henry's Awful Mistake
  • Stand in the Wind
  • The World Is Sound: Nada Brahma: Music and the Landscape of Consciousness
  • Goose Goofs Off
  • The Ghost-Eye Tree
  • Harding's Luck (Fabian Time Fantasies, #2)
  • The Landing
  • Swimming in the Monsoon Sea
Everyone has interests. Some people like my father had very few but he knew everything about them and received an OBE for the work he did on one of them during the second world war. Obviously this anecdote shows that having only a few interests isn't a bad thing. However, sometimes I think that the more things people are interested in, the more chance they have of becoming a traditionally publishe ...more
More about Welwyn Wilton Katz...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
“Write for joy. It is the *only* reason to write. Whatever happens to your books afterward, just write for joy. Send your current one out when it's done and forget it, start another, and keep on writing for joy. Words I now live by. Welwyn Wilton Katz” 0 likes