Start by marking “Mammoths on the Move” as Want to Read:
Mammoths on the Move

Mammoths on the Move

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  145 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Join a pack of woolly mammoths as they trek south for the winter, braving fierce storms, deadly predators, and raging rivers while making their slow journey across the gorgeous unspoiled lands of this continent until finally they reach their goal.

With the same jouncy and joyous rhythms of her youngest picture book texts, Lisa Wheeler introduces readers to one of the most a
Published April 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Mammoths on the Move, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mammoths on the Move

D
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
My young children loved the story and were fascinated by the illustrations:)
Molly Campbell
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book tells the story of a herd of woolly mammoths as they head south for the winter. The story follows them along their path, telling of the hardships they face as they continue on their journey. This non-fiction story gives information on the lives of woolly mammoths when they were alive, and introduces facts students may not have known.

I enjoyed this book! The author gives information about woolly mammoths, but in a way that rhymes, which I think is great for younger students. The illust
Sara
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Rhyming narrative nonfiction gives a good introduction to mammoths. Fantastic illustrations.
Kathleen Lance
This book talks about mammoths when they lived on the earth hundreds of years ago. The author explains what they ate, where they lived, what their fur was like, etc.

I like this book because the author kept the information light and fun while also informing the readers at the same time. The illustrations were great! Very detailed and the colors worked very well together.

I think this book would be good in a classroom library because it has a sense of rhyme to the book and teachers could show stu
Caroline Daniel
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-4050
o Summary: This books tells a lot of facts about wolly mammoths. From their fur to their feet. It does not seem to miss any details. It talks a lot about how they protect their young and one another from predators. It talks about how the migrate north and south whenever the weather and seasons change. The picture are great!
o Grade level: third
o Appropriate classroom use read as a fun book for story time whenever the class is learning about mammals or migration. This is the perfect book for that!
Haley Hoenke
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Science, Mammoths
Meghan Collins
I absolutely loved this book! I reminded me of the move Ice Age, which I love. We follow the journey of mammoths as they migrate south as it starts to get colder and colder. We learn about their fur, their size, their giant tusks, and how they move through all of the snow. We follow the mammoths as they avoid predators and try to keep themselves warm until they finally reached the south!

The thing that resonated with me the most was the fact that this book was a poem. You don't realize all the wo
Brittany Martin
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Woolly mammoths are not just a thing of the past. Children will eat up this poetic style non-fiction. The book introduces mammoths by talking about how woolly mammoths were and how their hair kept them warm. The story then moved on to discuss how/what mammoths ate, including how they sometimes had to migrate for food. The author then goes on to mention different characteristics of mammoths such as: hairy snowshoe-like feet, pack leaders, snorkel-like trunks, predators, and sparring.

I thought th
Falan Miller
This book was good! It talks about the mammoths and how they migrated to the south during the winter and how they survived. The book has a great rhyming scheme to it and is very fun to read.

I liked this book because of the illustrations. They are very colorful and are different! I think the pictures really fit well with the rhyme scheme on each page. I love how the illustrator drew the baby mammoths, they are too cute!

This book could be used in a classroom to help kids learn about how families
Emily Petering
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was great! It was incredibly informative while reaming incredibly interesting and easy to read. The author used rhyming text throughout the book which made it flow so nicely. She also include lots of onomatopoeia. The illustrations were beautiful and really allowed the reader to picture what the life of a woolly mammoth would have been like.

There are plenty of ways you could use this book in a classroom! The most obvious is doing a lesson on woolly mammoths, but there are others lesso
Bethany Sutherland
Mammoths on the Move is a book about mammoths migrating. In the winter, they migrate south through mountains, snow, rivers, and danger. The females keep their young close by and surround them when danger approaches. The males are off a ways strutting their stuff and fighting with each other. Once the mammoths reach the south , by winter's end, they start migrating north again.

I liked this book because the pictures were interesting and it is a unique way to learn about mammoths this way without j
Sara Castro
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mammoths on The Move is a informational narrative about wholly mamoths, creatures that lived during the ice age. living their lives as best as they can. They lived during the ice age because of this their fur was so thick that they could survive better than many animals. They were able to go through the freezing cold terrian to get where they needed to go as their pack migrated. This pack migration was because they usually could usually survive on their own. This book is an effective information ...more
Taylor Horvat
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Lisa Wheeler uses great rhythm and catchy phrases to make it fun to read. It would be perfect for elementary age students as it follows the journey of a group of mammoths in a youthful and entertaining way.

I would use this in a 2nd or 3rd grade classroom for a read aloud during a winter unit or a unit on animals because kids would enjoy the rhymes and rhythm of the book, they could learn about the journey of a mammoth in the winter, and it shows many examples of figura
Brenda
Jul 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellently written, the phrases are catchy and works great as a read-a-loud. It is not necessarily a non-fiction book and I find it questionable that it could belong in the 500's; however it is a wonderful introduction to the world of woolly mammoths. It is fun to read and the illustrations are grand- for a lack of a better word.
Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If we could give this book more than 5 stars, we would! IT WAS AWESOME! We learned about the migration of the wooly mammoths. But by the time the herd made it south, they had to start walking up north again! The word choice was filled with onomatopoeia. We are going to use descriptive words like: thundering, shaggy, trumpeting, bulky, kin, fraught which means they were filled with fear.
Samantha Penrose
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Props to anyone who can maintain such rythmn and rhyme while presenting factual information!
The story tells of what life must have been like for the mammoths...what they ate and how they found it, who they hung out with, where they were going, and what they had to watch out for. Great illustrations as well.
Leeanna Wolf
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book was about woolly mammoths migrating to the south for the winter when they could no longer find food in the north. It talked about the dangers they faced and what they did to protect themselves.

I really liked this book because it put the story of migration into simple terms for all ages to understand.

I would use this to teach my students about migration and about woolly mammoths.
Kate
Jan 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Kate by: Read for Children's Literature portfolio
Four-line rhyming stanzas tell the story of a herd of prehistoric mammoths migrating south. Information is descriptive, explaining the habits of the animals. Scratchboard illustrations allows for the woolly hair of the mammoths to take a prominent role in the drawings.
Kathryn
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I personally loved this book and from my perspective would give this 5 stars. The author does a terrific job in providing facts about the wooly mammoths by using entertaining rhymes. But my nearly 4 year old, who loves the Ice Age movies, did not seem to pay much attention to this book.
Melissa Stewart
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is a true delight. It takes talent and hard work to create a text that is both perfectly rhymed and chock full of fascinating and acurate information. There are many children's books about mammoths, but this one is worth reading.
Katherine
Genre: picture book nonfiction
Plot: Reviews the lives of mammoths during the Pleistocene. Great introduction for children interested in the subject. Has a nice rhyme that also makes it a good read-aloud.
Readers' Advisory: Animal death
Recommended age: 4-8
Jennifer Cunningham
genre: historical fiction

This book follows a group of mammoths as they look for a warmer climate. This book is beautifully illustrated and would be a great companion for learning about the first people.
Service Room 12
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I really liked it because I like animals. In all of her books she does rhyming. I like the part when the boys act silly and are showing off. We got to listen to the author read this when she visited our school!
Chris Young
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Outstanding illustrations make up for the disappointing text, which relies on an unnecessary rhyme scheme to describe these fascinating creatures. Wheeler verges on anthropomorphism at times "The trek was long, but you can bet - no mammoth whined . . . "Are we there yet?" Sheesh.
Lorraine Robinson
This book is very good. It is descriptive and informative at the same time. Explains facts about the mammoths and how they lived during the ice ages. Uses a creative rhyming technique. Easy read as long as terms are reviewed ahead of time.
Scbrajer
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fun rhyming book with a lot of good facts about the Elephant's relative, the Woolly Mammoth!
Meagan
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, silas
I'm so glad to have discovered Lisa Wheeler's picture books! My son loves them, and I am amazed by the diverse stories that Wheeler produces in her impeccable style.
Robin Rousu
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great example of how a fact-filled picture book can read aloud well and be beautiful and engaging. It is a difficult combination and this one does it well. Highly recommended for ages 4-6.
Sam
Aug 12, 2011 rated it liked it
It was interesting how the mammoths could survive.
Family McNamara
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
great poetry gives a good sense of mammoths
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »