Start by marking “Rosie hartje Jack” as Want to Read:
Rosie hartje Jack

Rosie hartje Jack

‘Ze kunnen je niet wegsturen. We hebben ons nodig. Ik stop jouw boos, Jack. En jij maakt mij sterk. Jij maakt mij Rosie.’

Rosie houdt van Jack. Jack houdt van Rosie. Dus als ze elkaar kwijtraken, doet Rosie er alles aan om de jongen die de zon in haar hoofd laat schijnen terug te vinden. Zelfs wegrennen van huis. Zelfs Londen doorkruisen en in haar eentje naar Brighton reiz
Published February 1st 2020 by Blossom Books (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Rosie hartje Jack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rosie hartje Jack

Start your review of Rosie hartje Jack
Alice (MTB/Alice Tied The Bookish Knot)
3.5 out of 5 stars!

The main character Rosie has Down's Syndrome and having never read a story that features a character with DS, I was really impressed by Mel's writing style. There were moments that my heart was absolutely breaking for Rosie and at the end, finishing with a massive smile on my face. This is one of those books where you are curious to see just exactly what happens on someone's important journey. Rosie has a boyfriend called Jack, who is then sent away to Brighton after an incide
Axellesbooks
2,5 Stars
First I thought it was an okay cute story with a strong character that has Downs' syndrome. The middle of the story ruined it for me. Rosie is indeed strong and independent but that twist was unnecessary and is just too overdramatic.
I do think the respresentation of Rosie is super well done, but the story line was a bit doubtful in my opinion.
But don't let my opinion decide you do not want to read this!
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
“Mum told me, ‘Above everything Rose, you are a human bean…. we love the same…. we think the same… and we are as important as each other.’ The words in my head are the same as yours. Sometimes they just come out wonky.”

This book is about Rosie……. and how much she loves Jack. Rosie is a sixteen year old with down syndrome. When she is split up from jack by the world and circumstances, she decide to go on an adventure in order to get together with “her jack” again.

This book was just so so beau
A Million Books
AS SEEN ON: A THOUSAND WORDS A MILLION BOOKS

I received a review copy from Usbourne Publishing in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.

Rosie Loves Jack is a WONDEROUS debut novel, told from the point of view of a girl who has Down’s syndrome as she navigates the world by herself for the first time.

I have nothing bad to say about this book, so please be aware that this review consists entirely of me gushing about the perfection that is Rosie Loves Jack.

T
Linda ☾
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens
Rosie loves Jack. Jack loves Rosie.

This was an amazing diverse book, where Rosie tries to find her true love, Jack. I have to say, of all the diverse books I've read, this one's the best I've read in ages. How Rosie loves Jack so much that she searches for him, where the world is not what she thinks it is.

Rosie, has Down's Syndrome but still loves Jack with all her heart. Jack's one of the troublemakers, his temper always up and down but when he's near Rosie, she's all he can think about. But wh
oliviasbooks
I love it, when wonderful books find me on their own accord.

I had not heard of this brilliantly voiced story about Rose, a sheltered girl with Down's Syndrome, sneaking out on a tube-and-train roadtrip to be reunited with the love of her life, Jack, in Brighton, before I swapped it on a whim at Tauschticket. Even the cover did not ring any bell, when I curiously looked the title up to find out what it would be about.

I was a bit afraid of the book turning out either too sad or too soppy. But it
Marta :}
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, books-i-own
This book is everything. I adored reading Rosie’s tale, her dedication to Jack and their relationship was amazing to read about, the lengths she went to stay with him and help him. It was phenomenal. I have never read a book with a protagonist who suffered from Down’s Syndrome and this book made me aware of many more things that I didn’t know about. The author, Mel Darbon, has helped people with learning disabilities through her voluntary work and it shows because Rosie’s characterization is ver ...more
Ruzaika
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received in exchange for an honest review from Usborne Publishing UK.

Despite having read this book a fair few weeks ago, I kept putting off reviewing it because 1) I was caught up with uni and 2) I couldn't properly gather my thoughts about it. The latter is because there's just so much to talk about that I don't quite know where to start - I still don't, but it wouldn't be fair to put it off till even later so I'm going to give it a shot. Okay? Okay.

Rosie has a boyfriend, Jack, who is at rehab
Kirsty
I raced through this book and it is just really awesome.

Rosie loves Jack is the story of Rosie a downs syndrome main character. Her boyfriend Jack has recently been moved across the country and Rosie is very upset about this and resolves to find her own way to visit him despite her parent's best efforts to stop her for making contact.

I really enjoyed it as Rosie managed to find her way to Brighton using public transport. For me what this book highlighted is the way in which some people treat ot
Julia Thum
I thought I knew a little bit about teenagers with special needs but this extraordinary book has completely changed my perspective. It is an important story and Rosie's incredibly powerful voice has been echoing around my mind ever since I put the book down. I hope she stays there for many years to come - I imagine she will.

The story itself is a real edge of your seat page turner. It tackles some very dark issues, skilfully skips over a lot of sensitive matter and takes you on a tear jerking, l
George (BuriedInBooks)
I got a free copy of Rosie loves Jack from the reading agency for world book night 2019, I was also lucky enough the meet the author Mel Darbon also.

Rosie loves jack is the story of a teenage girl called Rosie. Rosie lives with Down syndrome and has a boyfriend called jack who she loves dearly. Jack has problems of his own though which means he can get quite violent. After jack goes too far one day he’s taken away to attend a anger management course in Brighton.

Rosie then sets out to be inde
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: An ARC was provided via USBorne YA in exchange for an honest review. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

Every once in a while, you come across a book that change not only your perspective about the world but about yourself – Rosie Loves Jack is exactly that kind of book; it hurt my heart so bad, yet I was pulled in immediately, not only by the writing style but also by the character w
Laulaubooks
“Jack is at the end of all my journeys.”

When I first saw this book, I wanted to read this book. The (Dutch) cover for this book just really appealed to me. It made me happy. At that time I didn't even know exactly what this book was about. But once I knew that, I really know I wanted to read it. I've never read a book about characters with Down syndrome before. I've also never come across a book about characters with Down syndrome before. Which I actually find quite unfortunate. Even though I mu
Christina Reid
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't even remember who recommended this one to me...I would never have picked it up based on the cover, but was intrigued by the summary so snapped it up at the library! It is refreshing to see a book about someone with Down's Syndrome that really gives that character a voice and I feel that the author has succeeded in this, even if my own experience of Down's Syndrome is limited to working with children and adults in school and in my gymnastics club.
It took me a while to get into. The pace i
Karen Barber
Rosie loves Jack. They’re going to marry, have children and live happily ever after. Unfortunately, Rosie’s dad is less than happy with Jack’s influence on his daughter, and after an incident at college he stops Jack seeing his daughter. Rosie is so upset by this that she decides to travel to Brighton to find Jack.
Things go terribly wrong and bad weather forces Rosie to abandon plans to travel by train. Her purse and possessions are stolen from her in a hostel and then she ends up taken in by a
Kristina
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a story of determination, of kindness and warmth. A realistic and important message. This is a wonderful debut novel and I will read anything Mel Darbon publishes in the future. This is my favourite read of the year. It changed my perspective and allowed me to connect with someone different from the norm. We need more young adult books with such inclusive characters. I hope this book will be read far and wide, and will touch the hearts of everyone.
Paige
I got this ebook from my local library, Camden via their Cloud Library app. I really loved the way that Mel Darbon voiced Rosie and the way that she represented Rosie in such a sensitive way. I really hope that more people think about how they interact with young people with Down's after this, realising that they can have independence, and that one diagnosis does not mean everyone is the same.
Marjolein
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-bought
This book was amazing... I couldn't put it down anymore after I started it. I think I fell in love with Rosie. The way she sees the world, the way she knows herself is something I really loved. I loved the way she phrased what she was thinking or feeling, and I felt it was a privilege that I have been able to look through her eyes and see the way she saw the world.
stefiereads
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I wrote a full review on my blog:

Everyone, please read this book!
Kristy
Quit on page 80 because the language is atrocious. If the story were more interesting I might have stuck it out a bit longer, but it's not so i won't.
Miz
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what an unexpectedly beautiful book about how everyone has a place in this world. By the end I had tears dripping off my face and just really wanted the good to triumph. A good reminder to be kind, and that kindness can be found in the most unlikely of places (Paddington Station, under a bridge etc).
Alyce Hunt
Rosie Loves Jack begins with a newspaper article detailing the story of a teenager with Down's syndrome who has gone missing after running away from home to be reunited with her boyfriend.

When we join Rose, it's before she embarks on her cross-country adventure to Jack, who gets taken away after throwing a chair at school. Jack's brain was hurt when he was born, but Rose trusts that he won't hurt her, no matter how much her dad worries for her safety. In fact, the only reason Rose leaves is beca
Daniella
All reviews can be found on my blog, Don't Bend the Spine

Finally, a book that I have been desperate to read for months now was Rosie Loves Jack. I nearly cried when I saw it was available to borrow at my local library, and I took it to be a sign I was supposed to read it. Yes, I am one of those people. Rosie Loves Jack follows a teenage girl called Rosie, who has Down Syndrome. When her boyfriend Jack is “taken away” following an altercation at school, Rosie is determined to be reunited with him
Lily
Sorry but i really did not enjoy this book. I got almost half way and it got repetitive and boring. Please don't let that stop you from reading it though. Read it for yourself so that you can have your own opinion because this is just my one.
CherryCarrot
I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I think it had flaws, and I didn't necessarily love reading it, but equally I feel kind of bad saying anything critical about a book like this (a few writing style issues jarred with me, but from what I understand, these things are authentic to the voice of a person with Down's Syndrome).

I enjoyed the book best once Rosie left home to try to get to Brighton and was meeting all kinds of people who helped and hindered her. At that point, I thought it would b
Janet Roberts
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosie has Downs Syndrome and Jack is autistic, so it's understanderable that Rose's parents are quite thankful when he's sent away to try and learn to curb his violent temper.
Rosie however is determined to find him, and sets off alone, in the depth of winter, unable to read or understand announcements, to travel the considerable distance from her home to Brighton, travelling via London.
Numerous incidents and characters appear in this unusual book, as Rosie struggles to overcome fear, prejudice,
Rosanna Threakall
I won a copy of this at YALC! It was much darker than I thought and some of the language was a bit unnecessary but it was a dramatic and gripping story.

*I've decided to lower my rating after reflecting on this book*
Sreepurna Datta
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.5 stars / 5

When you see a book written from the point-of-view of a teenage girl with Down's syndrome, you can have two reactions - happiness to see such a book being written, and scepticism because you aren't sure how well it will be written. This book is so kind and sweet and well-written, it melted my sceptic heart.

Things I liked:

- The Down's Syndrome rep: I had no knowledge about this condition beyond what I studied in Biology, and I am truly thankful to this book for making me see
Arjun Randhawa
Rosie Loves Jack is a fiction novel written in first person having a protagonist named Rosie, a teenager with Down's syndrome. It's a narrative of how this one girl doesn't let her disability get in the way of reaching her boyfriend Jack across London to Brighton facing a lot of challenges across the way. The entire book is an adventure-packed ride through the eyes of a special girl who simply wants to be able love someone without any struggles.

I'm a Clinical Psychology major who has dealt with
HappyGoldenKim
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dubbelleven
  • Onverbeterlijk
  • De geur van groen
  • 15 ¾
  • Het meisjesmanifest
  • Buren with benefits (Onbreekbaar #1)
  • Plankenkoorts
  • Bijna echt
  • De stroopwafelshop
  • Misverstand in de middle of nowhere (Misverstand, #1)
  • Toffee
  • Verleid me
  • Dit is hoe het ging
  • Maar ik ben jou niet
  • Ik pleit voor jou!
  • Tegen beter weten in
  • Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?
  • Zullen we het liefde noemen?
Mel Darbon spent a large part of her childhood inventing stories to keep her autistic brother happy on car journeys. She won’t mention the time spent with him standing by level crossings waiting for the InterCity 125 to go past as she wouldn’t want to be labelled a train spotter.

Life took her in many different directions working as a theatre designer, a freelance artist, teaching young adults wit

News & Interviews