Start by marking “It's Not All Downhill from Here” as Want to Read:
It's Not All Downhill from Here

It's Not All Downhill from Here

After a sudden change of plans, a remarkable woman and her loyal group of friends try to figure out what she's going to do with the rest of her lifefrom the #1 New York Times bestselling author of How Stella Got Her Groove Back and Waiting to Exhale

Loretha Curry's life is full. A little crowded sometimes, but full indeed. On the eve of her sixty-eighth
Published March 31st 2020 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about It's Not All Downhill from Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not All Downhill from Here

Start your review of It's Not All Downhill from Here
Mandi1082
Thank you Netgalley and Random House book for an Arc of this book for an honest review.

It's not all Downhill from here deals with the main protagonist Lo and her life and family and friends. This group of women are in their late 60's and are dealing with death, depression, sickness, etc.

I felt like some of the book was really rushed and I wanted to get to know the characters better.
Morgan Schulman
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reader-s-copy
I received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review

The same characters as always, just a half decade older and with five years less sparkle. None of it feels fresh any more. . For die-hards only.
Read In Colour
Feb 28, 2020 rated it liked it
When Terry McMillan first hit the publishing scene, it was so refreshing to read the stories of everyday black women. While McMillan is years older than me, I feel as if I've grown along with her. The teenage version of me didn't fully comprehend everything her character in Mama went through, but I understood the message. Disappearing Acts was the first time I saw a black adult relationship on the pages of a book. Her editing of Breaking Ice was something to behold and it still holds an honored ...more
Angelia Menchan
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read several Terry MacMillan and am a huge fan of her earlier work. I will say I was pleasantly surprised by the ages of the characters. Its rare to get books about senior citizens not to mention realistic, sexy and funny one.

Loreatha or Lo the main character could have come off as lying and judgmental (she is) but there is also something endearing and regular about her. As are all the characters. So many issues were unpacked, aging, death, mental health, obesity and health and
The CurvyJones
Joi Levett
Geriatric version of Waiting To Exhale. A lot of important issues in the book including health, aging, addiction, mental illness, and death. There were at least 5 unnecessary characters. It was predictable. Event, filler, event, filler. Just a lot of words.
Jacqie
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tanya
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Im a huge fan of Terry McMillans older work but her newer books just dont hit the spot for me. This book just doesnt do it for me, reading a books from a seniors point of view was a little out of the ordinary, on top of of it feeling like of every other sad woman of color book. Depression, overwhelmed, headed downhill fast with no breaks and dynamite in the trunk. No thanks Im done with these books for a while. Can you please bring back the old Terry M. books.

Brittany J. (BNJreads)
Thanks to Netgalley and Random House Publishing Group for this free review copy.

MY THOUGHTS: Terry McMillian has given to us a great conversation piece. I want to make this book a book club for me and my girls. I think we can all find a little bit of ourselves in the most relatable character of Loretha. Dealing with an unexpected loss near and dear to her heart she is left finding how to pick up the pieces. She reevaluates where her life has been and where she is going and I loved her
Amiee
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I love the way Terry has grown her characters as she (and I!) gets older. This was a nice story about getting older, love, maintaining friendships etc etc...
Brittany J. (BNJreads)
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it

Sharonda Isadora
I love Terry McMillan. She continues to gives us stories about Black women that are relate-able and so very much needed.

Its Not All Downhill From Here tells the stories of friends who are much older in life. We get their POVs as they go through retired life, death, dealing with not so good and good family, and walks down memory lane. INADHFM lets us know that women of a "certain" age don't have to "sit down". They can still enjoy life as they see fit. I enjoyed it for the most part. BUT, this
Michelle Lindo-Rice
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I am a Terry McMillan fan and was glad to see a story with older women. I thought that was fresh and I enjoyed the friendship between the woman. But, there was a lack of tension that made this book feel like I was reading a diary. It stayed even-keeled most of the way true. However, Ms. McMillan tackled a lot of relevant issues.
Thank you #Netgalley.
Traycee30
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would recommend. This was an enjoyable and easy read
R
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
I always appreciate an ARC. Thanks Net Galley and Ballantine.

But enough Black woman misery. I read this in Jamaica during my 50th birthday celebration with friends. We are out here living our best and most productive lives. This is not my reality, and I felt nothing for these characters. Overweight, diabetes, broke, brokenness, and family succubi....nope.
Lisa
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished, netgalley
Normally, I don't care about characters' ages, but this book is narrated by a 68-year-old and so far it's all about her age and what she can no longer do. Based on reviews (and the title), that changes. But I'm not interested in a play-by-play and get the sense I'm not the right demographic for this book.

Sorry, and thanks NetGalley and Ballantine Books for the ARC.
Britt
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Terry McMillan doesn't disappoint. Her signature brand of sisterhood and characters still shine bright in our modern landscape. I am grateful for her consistent adherence to these particular voices.
Becki
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Terry McMillan because her books remind me that women are all in this struggle together. This book beautifully depicts motherhood, sisterhood, partnership, friendship and and aging and the generosity amidst all of this, for oneself and others, that we sometimes have to go deep inside our wells to find. Its also one of the first honest depictions of addiction and mental illness Ive read, with some characters succumbing to their diseases and others able to recover with the right resources, ...more
Tiffanyinhouston
I did not expect to like this book as much as I did. I love the point of view of having characters be senior citizens and deal with the issues related to aging. However, they was a LOT going on. There were a lot of characters to keep up with and at times the dialogue seems like it is rambling. I think this book needed tighter editing to get to the point more effectively. But it's a good read and since I had not read a Terry McMillan book in years, it was a nice change of pace. I rated 3 stars ...more
Cassie
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, arc, read-in-2020
It's Not All Downhill from Here, from Terry McMillan, is a story about finding yourself again after an unexpected loss, with help and laughter from some lifelong friends. I feel I'm not the target audience for this, and had a difficult time making my way to the end. The issues touched on in the book do give the story depth, it just wasn't for me.

This was the first book by Terry McMillan that I've read (I did watch and enjoy the movie adaptations for her earlier books).

While I'm happy to see a
MundiNova
DNF 10%

It's hard to give up on a book so quickly, but I just couldn't continue. The main character is immature and petty. I couldn't handle a whole book told through her eyes, pretty sure I'd want to kill her at some point. Also, the whole story was laid out in the first chapter. I knew exactly what was going to happen, all the story points bullet-pointed for lazy readers.

This was my fist McMillan book and I don't think I'm the intended audience.

I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for
Alicia (PrettyBrownEyeReader)
Terry is back! Her latest release offers mature characters that are experiencing what life looks like as they enter retirement age. As the title implies, life doesnt end at this point. There are new adventures to be had. Terry McMillan skillfully writes about those new adventures as a senior adult.

The characters feel like people you know with their quirks and life challenges.
One weakness of the book is that the health challenges of the characters are described clinically as if in a textbook.

Shelley
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
If you started this and wondered, "if this were a Lifetime movie, how would it play out?" then you'd have this in one. All of it. As sick as I am of unpredictable narrators, I was starting to hope there was a plot twist in here. Somewhere. Anywhere.

That said, the characters are interesting. I read the entire book, even when I realized there was no twist, no character-changing challenge.
Evette
If you love Terry McMillans canon of Black women characters, then youll love this book. ...more
LiteraryMarie
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
There is nothing like a sudden change of plans that makes you re-evaluate what you're doing for the rest of your life. For 68-year-old Loretha, it is the unexpected death of her husband to make her put things into perspective. She has to summon all her strength and push on with the help of lifelong friends. Lo is determined to prove her good-intentioned mother, her jealous twin sister, her estranged daughter and everyone else that it really isn't all downhill after a certain age and ...more
Rachel
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Its Not All Downhill From Here by Terry McMillan is an excellent book that brings the reader into the middle of a warm embrace that is comprised of a wonderful collection of a group of girlfriends (pretend sisters as well as real) of old souls that are truly young at heart.

This is the second book I have read by Ms McMillan, the first being Waiting To Exhale. This was one of my favorite books growing up and I am so surprised I waited this long to bask again in the glow of a great, feel-good
SLew58
Mar 11, 2020 marked it as to-read
What do you do when youre living your best life and in an instant life as you know it has changed forever?

Loretha Lo, affectionately named, is happy where she is in life. She has a husband who cherishes her, loyal friends and a difficult and sometimes loving family. As her sixty-eight birthday approaches, she prefers to celebrate outside of the normal past celebrations, but when tragedy strikes her strength will be tested.

What I enjoyed about the story was the seasoned women. Many books arent
Janet Fiorentino
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fans of Terry McMillans vibrant characters and humorous but realistic story lines will not be disappointed by her latest novel, Its Not All Downhill from Here.

Southern California native, Loretha Curry, is approaching her 68th birthday with her husband, Carl, her lifelong friends, her dog, B.B. King, and a thriving beauty supply business. Yet she is estranged from her daughter, Jalecia, who battles with depression, and would like a better relationship with her twin sister, Odessa.

Yet, Carls
Tisha
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terry McMillan has been a favorite of mine since Mama. Shes an author Im going to read with no hesitation; I dont even need to know what the book is about. Its worthy of a chance off the strength of her name alone.

So, when I heard Its Not All Downhill From Here was coming out, I didnt even read the synopsis. Just knew I was going to read it.

This is why I had no idea what the book was going to be about as I cracked it open. Just that I expected it to be well done. By a few pages into Chapter 1
Alicia Allen
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have not read a Terry McMillan book and a long time, and I am very glad I got the opportunity to read this one.
Its Not All Down Hill From Here is a story about a woman named Loretha, lovingly nicknamed Lo, and her journey of learning to navigate life through a lot of major changes that happen back to back. Lo also is seemingly trying to balance out all of this while wearing many hats- mother, wife, sister, daughter, friend, grandmother, great grandmother, and business woman,
There is SO much
« previous 1 3 next »

• These Ghosts Are Family
  • Watching You
  • Big Summer
  • The Family Upstairs
  • Everyone's a Critic
  • 10 Things I Hate About Pinky (Dimple and Rishi, #3)
  • Catherine House
  • I'm Not Dying with You Tonight
  • Real Men Knit
  • The Jetsetters
  • What My Mother and I Don't Talk About: Fifteen Writers Break the Silence
  • Last Couple Standing
  • The Book of Lost Friends
  • Open House (Uptown, #2)
  • The Bright Side of Going Dark
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • A Hundred Suns: A Novel
  • Perfect Tunes
Terry McMillan is an African-American author. Her interest in books comes from working at a library when she was fourteen. She received her BA in journalism in 1986 from the University of California at Berkeley and the MFA Film Program at Columbia University. Her work is characterized by strong female protagonists.

Her first book, Mama, was self-promoted. She achieved national attention in 1992

Articles featuring this book