Start by marking “Our Subway Baby” as Want to Read:
Our Subway Baby

Our Subway Baby

This gentle and incredibly poignant picture book tells the true story of how one baby found his home.

"Some babies are born into their families. Some are adopted. This is the story of how one baby found his family in the New York City subway."

So begins the true story of Kevin and how he found his Daddy Danny and Papa Pete. Written in a direct address to his son, Pete's movi
Published September 15th 2020 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Our Subway Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Subway Baby

Start your review of Our Subway Baby
Emma
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

This children picture book tells the true story of a baby who was found on the NYC subway and then adopted by the man who found him and his partner. As they say in the book, through love anything's possible and here you could clearly feel the love and fondness the two men feel for Kevin, the baby. Also, the illustrations were very good.
Tabrizia
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Edelweiss and Penguin Random House for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

This one was so sweet! I almost cried! Apart from the beautiful and amazing artwork, this story shows that with love anything is possible. Families are not just the biological ones, there are the ones who are with you every step of the way.
Lynn
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some children are born into their families and other children find their families in different ways. This heart-warming story of how one rushed commuter chanced to see an abandoned infant tucked into a dark corner of the subway system. Danny rescued that baby and eventually Danny and his partner Pete adopted the baby.

One of the dads, Peter Mercurio, tells this true and moving story in a very child appropriate but straight-forward way. Combining with Leo Espinosa's warm and lovely illustrations,
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth-nonfiction
While I'm sure the actual journey this family had to take was a lot harder than portrayed in this book, it still warmed my heart. The story and the illustrations are just what we need in these trying times. Let's all remember that love is love is love.
Miss Alissa
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diverse-stories
Our Subway Baby is written by Peter Mercurio and illustrated by Leo Espinosa

This picture book tells the true story of how Mercurio found an abandoned baby in a New York subway, and how this chance meeting led to his partner and him becoming fathers.

I really loved this story. With engaging full bleed water color illustrations and a story that pulled on my heart strings it is such a feel good winner. I definitely shed some happy tears. I love stories about found family and adoption, and this one
Dena Cerino
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story! And a Christmas story too! If I had kids, I'd have to read it several times myself to keep from choking up reading it to them. It's so beautiful, I was in tears most of the time. And the artwork is gorgeous! It's a keeper and a new classic. Love this so much!
Julie Perenchio
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sweet, beautiful, restore-faith-in-humanity book. I love that it's a true story, and my only advice (besides READ IT) is to be in an environment where you're comfortable crying. Crying (the happy kind) is a distinct possibility.
Amy
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Aww, this is such a nice family story! A man in the subway station discovers a baby, and his life is forever changed. A beautiful story about love, family, adoption and fate. Read the notes at the end, too!
Julia
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful it made me cry. Loved the afterward with the real couple's story.
Michelle
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated story.
Rebecca Anne
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lovely illustrations. Based on the true story of how two father's came to adopt a baby abandoned in a NY subway station.
Lisa D
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful story of love & how one baby found its home! Recommended for new parents! Loved it! ...more
Evan
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
Heart-warming and beautifully illustrated. Get ready for the tears!
Kathryn
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story of adoption and love. Made me so happy I got teary.
Nathália
SO CUTE!
Jenny Javier
Beautifully illustrated, with a story that will tug at your heartstrings. Love the actual family photo at the end of the book.
Elizabeth
This story is even better because it's true.
Laurenda
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is so beautifully written and you can truly feel the love these parents have for their son. Moved me to tears and I’m so glad I read it.
Iris
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The endearing true story about how a baby was found by one of his future fathers in a NY Subway. Told in the second-person point of view, this book reads like a letter to a son, one who is very much treasured and loved. The mixed media art is vibrant and delightfully propels the narrative. I like how the first spread features the entrance to the A-C-E subway lines and the last spread has the exit sign. Snapshots of Kevin and his dads appear in the author's note. Heartwarming and fun to read!
Rebecca Grizzell
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect!
I cried, I uncontrollably smiled, and then I forced my co-workers to read it.
This book is going to become such an important book for the topic of adoption. (and promotion of LGBT+ community members adopting children)
I am so happy this family is thriving and have a beautiful "met you" moment.
Susan
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book made me cry in the best possible way! It tells the true story of a gay man who discovers a newborn baby on the NYC subway, and he and his boyfriend eventually adopt the baby with the support of a friendly judge.

(NOTE: I accessed a digital ARC via Edelweiss+.)
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Angie
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a really sweet true story about a baby that was found on a subway platform and how he was adopted by the man who found him and his partner. Just lovely.
Kathleen
Sep 15, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Evelyn del Rey Is Moving Away
  • Nacho's Nachos: The Story Behind the World's Favorite Snack
  • The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies, #2)
  • I Am Every Good Thing
  • What Will These Hands Make?
  • The Three Little Yogis and the Wolf Who Lost His Breath: A Fairy Tale to Help You Feel Better
  • The Welcome Wagon
  • The Paper Boat: A Refugee Story
  • Lion Needs a Haircut
  • Go Get 'Em, Tiger! (A Hello!Lucky Book)
  • The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, #3)
  • Dream Builder: The Story of Architect Philip Freelon
  • Julián at the Wedding
  • The Barnabus Project
  • Federico and the Wolf
  • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
  • October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard
  • Are You Afraid of the Light? (Black Sand Beach, #1)
1 follower
Peter Mercurio is the founder and artistic director of Other Side Productions, a nonprofit theater company. He has written for the New York Times, Marie Claire Australia, and Reader’s Digest. Peter enjoys hiking and exploring the National Parks, cycling, kayaking, and tossing a disc, baseball, or football with his son. He has played on the same softball team for over twenty years. Peter lives in N ...more