Start by marking “After She Wrote Him” as Want to Read:
After She Wrote Him

After She Wrote Him

Originally titled Crossing the Lines

If you get lost in a book, be sure you can find your way back . . .

Madeleine d'Leon doesn't know where Edward came from. He is simply a character in her next book. But as she writes, he becomes all she can think about. His charm, his dark hair, his pen scratching out his latest literary novel . . .

Edward McGinnity can't get Madeleine out
Paperback, 2nd, 256 pages
Published April 7th 2020 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published August 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about After She Wrote Him, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After She Wrote Him

Start your review of After She Wrote Him
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: There was Black Forest cake in the refrigerator. Edward made coffee and served the cake onto plates with generous scoops of vanilla bean icecream.

Willow disappeared up the iron staircase to swap Edward's jacket for something more comfortable. She descended wearing one of his sweatshirts over her cocktail dress and took both plates to the couch, placing his on the glossy surface of the coffee table beside a small Matchbox Mercedes Benz.

'You're writing something new?' she accused, picki
Phrynne
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I went into this book with no idea what it was about apart from the fact that it was not one of the Rowland Sinclair series. It turned out to be an absolute gem.

Two writers, each writing a book in which the other is the main character. Who really is the author and who is the imaginary character? Gentill manages to have them both on the page simultaneously to the point where they appear to communicate verbally and eventually physically. To say it is cleverly done is an understatement.

I love the u
Carolyn
This was a brilliant read! A very unusual novel where the act of writing the novel becomes the story and was perfectly carried out.

Madeleine d’Leon is the fictional author who is writing a novel about an author, Patrick McGinnity who becomes a suspect in a murder. She soon finds herself engrossed in Patrick, preferring to spend time with him than her distant husband Hugh. Patrick in turn is writing about a character called Madeleine d’Leon and also falling in love with her. Sounds confusing? It
Jayme
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fascinating!

While writing this all I could think about was the Oscar Wilde quote: “life imitates art far more than art imitates life”...

In this case, the “art” is Madeleine d’Leon’s own crime novel. As her marriage deteriorates she pens her perfect man, in her protagonist, Edward McGinnity, called Ned by his friends.

Or is the “art” Ned’s book? His love for Willow is unrequited, so he settles for being her best friend. As she pulls further and further away from him, he begins to fall for the pr
booksNpenguins
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it

banner-di-bobi.jpg

After She Wrote Him is rather interesting book.
I liked its execution and the originality of the concept more than I liked its content, but I also recognize the fact that it was very different and probably quite unique in its genre.
The story is engaging and it requires all the reader's attention. It also gives you the chance to take a peak inside the fascinating world of book writing and I really liked seeing b
Faith
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, reviewed
“What if you wrote of someone writing of you? In the end, which of you would be real?”

Maddie d’Leon is a lawyer turned mystery writer who is moving away from her successful series to write a new crime novel featuring the writer Edward McGinnity. Or maybe, Edward McGinnity is a writer who has started a new book featuring Maddie d’Leon. Each author writes their character into a precarious situation. Edward is implicated in the murder of an art critic. Maddie becomes obsessed with her writing, and
Marianne
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After She Wrote Him (also titled Crossing The Lines) is a stand-alone novel by award-winning Australian author, Sulari Gentill. Madeleine d’Leon is a crime writer whose very successful cosy Veronica Killwilly series might even go to TV. But she is suddenly inspired to write something quite different: Edward McGinnity is a character who has popped into her head and she just has to write him. She’s tickled because he’s an author, the serious type of writer who would never read her genre, giving it ...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘This is my life, not just a story, …’

Madeleine D’Leon is a successful writer: her crime fiction series featuring Veronica Killwilly series is very successful. But Madeleine is drawn to a different story. She creates a new character, Edward McGinnity, a writer of literary fiction, and as she begins to imagine his life, becomes drawn into it.

Metafiction, or mystery? Or both …

Edward is in danger, but so is Madeleine. As she becomes caught up in Edward’s world, she retreats into it, spending less
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
Confusing, confusing, confusing. I’m still not totally sure who was the real writer and who was the character? The ending was more metaphysical and philosophical that I would’ve liked. Or, if that was the intent of the story, it didn’t go far enough into that direction, in my opinion. The book played on a tightrope, unsure of which side to fall on, and ultimately my enjoyment suffered because of it.

I liked both the characters and how their lives and writing were affecting each other, but ultima
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
I really wanted to love this book... but it is so confusing. My brain cannot cope with it at the moment. I am struggling to keep up with who is who and who is realand who is fiction.

Thank you for the chance to read it but not for me
Andrea
Madeleine d'Leon is a corporate lawyer and the successful author of the Veronica Killwilly Investigates historical crime series. When the idea for a totally new story, with a new protagonist in Ned McGinnity, presents itself to her, she has a new enthusiasm for her craft and allows the reader to peek through the window at her writing process as the story germinates. She's not a plotter, she readily acknowledges, preferring to let the story flow through her fingertips with only the lightest of co ...more
Donna Weber
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
Wow! I've been reading so many unique, creative, thought provoking books; this is absolutely one of them! I think it's best to go into this blind.
While we're all familiar with the feeling after reading a great book, that even after turning the last page...we continue to think about the characters and the story even after reading another book. I don't read that many series books, so when it happens with a standalone, it's even more impressive.
After She Wrote Him, really has you deeply contemplati
Karen
Known for her Rowland Sinclair historical crime series and her YA Hero trilogy, Sulari Gentill delivers something very different with this new novel. Full review at Newtown Review of Books ...more
Emma
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn’t put this down! I was so interesting, the twists the turns. Maddie battling with herself, Edward as well.
I didn’t exactly love the ending but it was an expected outcome. Brilliantly told story with suspense and mystery surrounding it!
3 1/2 stars. 🌟🌟🌟
Chris
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
After She Wrote Him is one of the most unique novels I have ever read. The story is about mystery author Madeline and literary author Edward writing stories about each other. The question is, who is the real author and who is the character?

The plot was complex and very well written. The characters were fully developed and felt real. There are two points of view, each told in the third person and each POV change was seamless. I enjoyed the glimpse into the writing process as both authors were wri
Pam's Shenanigans
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: psychological thriller fans!
“It’s an exploration of an author’s relationship with her protagonist, an examination of the tenous line between belief and reality, imagination and self, and what happens when that line is crossed.”

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me the chance to read the Advance Reader’s Copy. This does not, in any way, affect my review of the book.

I was blown away by how engrossing and complex After She Wrote Him is! It explores this meticulously crafted meta fiction world of two character
Leslie - MamaNeedsABook
Wow! I just loved this book! It was like a classic mystery, mixed with literary fiction, mixed with a psychological thriller.

Madeleine and Edward are both authors and they are writing about each other. Madeleine is a murder mystery writer and Edward is an author of literary fiction. This book explores their writing process - which was a lot of fun! Edward is at an art gallery when a man he despises is murdered. He begins investigating to clear his own and his friend's name. Madeleine is a succe
Ray Palen
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gentill brilliantly takes the story within the story and an author's obsession with their character to the next level. Think Stephen King's "The Dark Half" but on another level. Cannot reveal any more without spoiling the fun. Nothing supernatural here, just good story-writing. ...more
Krista
Rating: 5 mind-bending stars

I love a good mystery and I love books about books, especially books about writing books. Oh my gosh. Sulari Gentill’s book, “After She Wrote Him” (previously published as “Crossing the Lines”) is a brilliant mashup of both of these favorites. You have to pay close attention while reading this clever, clever book. However, the attention pays off in a thoroughly satisfying read that still leaves you wondering about some of the mysteries at the end.

Who is the writer, an
Devon
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
It took me a few days upon finishing Sulari Gentill’s After She Wrote Him to even begin writing this review. Before I go into why let me tell you a little bit about this unique book.

Madeline d’Leon is a crime writer with a burgeoning career who pens a series that is gaining in popularity when suddenly she has an idea for a stand alone novel, possibly her best one to date. Enter her protagonist Edward McGinnity a young, handsome and wealthy literary fiction writer who has found a bit of success.
Jeffrey
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tale that starts out with the query: "What if you wrote of someone writing you? In the end which of you would be real?"

So we are introduced to Madeleine - Maddie to her husband. She, a writer of mystery novels, is introduced to us by Edward who is writing Madeleine's story. But we learn immediately that she has begun an atypical novel writing about Edward, a writer of literary novels.

And here begins a story of Edward writing a novel about Madeleine who is penning a book about Edward - with a
Andrea Arterbery
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
***Thank you to Poisoned Pen Press for providing an ARC for me to read via Netgalley.***

I really enjoyed this book and am quite fascinated with how the author (Sulari Gentill) was able to not only put the idea together, but also write it onto pages in a way that wasn't confusing or weighted down. It's like two stories in one!

As a writer, I found the character of Madeleine d'Leon fascinating. I guess it's ok to classify her as the main character, without spoiling the story. She lives a pretty hu
Carolyn McBride
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a multi-layered book! Don't try and read this one if you're tired, because you need to pay attention to keep it all straight. I had to read the first few chapters a couple of times to keep the threads of the plot untangled. It's a brilliant premise, and I can well imagine all the notes the author must have used in the writing of it.

It's complex, cranial, absolutely psychologically twisty. A very, very different read!
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
DNF. The premise of this sounded intriguing, but it just could not hold my attention for more than a few minutes at a time. Ended up being way more convoluted than I was in the mood for right now, and I haven't been able to motivate myself to push through it. Most of the reviews are great, so I think a lot of others will love it!

*I received a free ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Kate
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually 4 1/2 stars..... a clever, intriguing, unique story with a great cast of characters and an unfurling plot that will keep readers guessing after the last page is turned......
Bec Hombsch
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to start by saying that I am in no way paid, endorsed or was offered any kind of compensation in lieu of this review.

Secondly, I will freely admit. I am a lover of Sulari’s work. I have a review for The Hero Trilogy on my computer waiting to be posted, but between work, school and issues with Wordpress it hasn’t happened. I am yet to read the Roland Sinclair series, but they are on my to read list.

From the moment, she posted the cover reveal for Crossing the Lines, I knew I wanted to re
Jocelyn
May 03, 2020 added it
Shelves: ebooks, arc-s
Review

An impressively executed story that packs a hell of a punch. I was worried that the premise would start to unravel when I realized how immediately intertwined the two plot lines were, but Sulari Gentill managed to write this book in a way that never once became confusing or hard to follow. It’s such a unique premise, one I’ve definitely never come across written quite this way before.

It started off strong, but I unfortunately found myself starting to lose interest after a few chapters
Jess
Apr 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a special book.

It’s like this : If you were writing a book about a writer who is writing a book about you.
And there’s a murder.

What an inventive way to tell a story. There was a beautiful, almost musical quality to how it was written and paced.

That said, I did not finish this book.

As the story moved forward, I was getting a bit lost in the switching narrative between the two main characters.

Despite the style of writing challenging me, I am very appreciative of how the author decide
Diane Hernandez
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
After She Wrote Him is the wildly inventive tale of two writers writing about each other. But which one is fictional?

“‘It’s an exploration of an author’s relationship with her protagonist, an examination of the tenuous line between belief and reality, imagination and self, and what happens when that line is crossed.’ Willow nodded gravely. ‘I’m not sure what that means, but it does sound award-winning.’ Edward laughed.”

And, in fact, this book won the 2018 Ned Kelly Award for Best Crime Fiction i
Alyssa
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Madeleine d’Leon is a crime fiction writer who is taking a break from her successful series of mystery novels to write a whodunit with a brand new character – Edward McGinnity, a literary author who has found himself embroiled in the murder of art critic Geoffrey Vogel.

Edward McGinnity is writing a story about Madeleine d’Leon, lawyer and crime fiction writer whose marriage to doctor Hugh Lamond is waning after several miscarriages.

While this may sound confusing, Crossing the Lines cleverly expl

• Sharks in the Time of Saviors
  • Logging Off
  • Ghosts of Harvard
  • You Let Me In
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • You Are Not Alone
  • A Week at the Shore
  • The Summer I Drowned
  • Sin Eater
  • Darling Rose Gold
Not so long ago, Sulari Gentill was a corporate lawyer serving as a director on public boards, with only a vague disquiet that there was something else she was meant to do. That feeling did not go away until she began to write. And so Sulari became the author of the Rowland Sinclair Mysteries: thus far, six historical crime novels chronicling the life and adventures of her 1930s Australian gentlem ...more