Start by marking “Conventionally Yours (True Colors, #1)” as Want to Read:
Conventionally Yours (True Colors, #1)

Conventionally Yours

(True Colors #1)

When two "big name fans" go head-to-head at a convention, love isn't the only thing at stake.

Charming, charismatic, and effortlessly popular, Conrad Stewart seems to have it all...but in reality, he's scrambling to keep his life from tumbling out of control.

Brilliant, guarded, and endlessly driven, Alden Roth may as well be the poster boy for perfection...but even he can't
Published June 2nd 2020 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about Conventionally Yours, please sign up.
Jennifer Yes, it is stand alone. The title says it is first in a series, but based on the sneak peek at the end, the next book will focus on a different charac…moreYes, it is stand alone. The title says it is first in a series, but based on the sneak peek at the end, the next book will focus on a different character/romance. (less)
Bee It's new adult. I wouldn't recommend anyone under 18 read it. …moreIt's new adult. I wouldn't recommend anyone under 18 read it. (less)

Start your review of Conventionally Yours (True Colors, #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I enjoyed this gamer-geek, new adult read from Annabeth Albert, even though I've read more compelling books from her in the past. Conventionally Yours is a bit different from what I've previously read from Annabeth Albert, but I think it will please many fans of hers, especially those who like her #gaymers series.

Truthfully, I much prefer the tension and faster pace of her military romances, but this story had a lot to like. I enjoyed the diversity of Conventionally Yours, and I'm always excit
Larry H
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Okay, so I thought Conventionally Yours , Annabeth Albert's new book, was utterly adorable!

Conrad and Alden play in an LGBTQ gaming group, but they’re definitely not friends. Conrad’s casual, cocky, trash-talking style drives Alden crazy, while Alden’s constant need for perfection and order gets on Conrad’s last nerve. But their outward appearances belie the multiple personal issues each are dealing with.

When they hear about a fan convention in Las Vegas that features a gaming tourn
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Well, after reading the author’s previous steamy military romances and seeing this gorgeous cover, it was reasonable thing to push the request button for reading this ARC! But I think, I’m the wrong reader who found herself in the wrong story and at the wrong time.

The games have never been my passion or my hobby and unfortunately the book’s main focus is game convention which made me feel like I was reading a book in different language and I got lost in terminology. So I finally gave up!

I liked
h o l l i s
I think CONVENTIONALLY YOURS failed to win me over because this feels like something I've read before, not just in general but by this author, and yet done not quite as well. In general this does follow some fairly typical tropes and meanders in a familiar direction, though maybe without the specific diverse leanings, and when mixed with a fairly lukewarm connection, and very little heat (which, considering Albert's other series, definitely surprised me), I'm just left a little.. whelmed (not un ...more
Jessica
Aug 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, road-trip
This was cute, but ultimately fell flat for me. I really appreciated how Conrad and Alden are both people who are going through extremely different things in their lives that no one on the outside really understands. Conrad was thrown out by his family after they learned he was gay and Alden deals with severe anxiety and pressure from his parents. When it came to the romance, though, it was just okay to me. I didn't feel a lot of connection between them and it seemed to drag as the road trip las ...more
Monte Price
Jun 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, 2020-releases
I don’t think I’ve enjoyed a book less this year.

When I read the first thirty percent of the book I was bored and skeptical that I was going to enjoy the book, but I was fairly confident that I’d be able to give it an average rating. At that point I hadn’t actually found anything that was actually upsetting I just found both POV characters to be a little boring and not people I was invested in. That said, I did initially enjoy the group dynamic that the book set up at the game shop.

Then Albert s
lazybookconqueror
This was so nerdy and adorable 💜
I LOVE a good rivals to lovers and Conventionally Yours is *chef's kiss* for this genre.

We follow the story of Conrad (the sporty likable dude that is full of charisma but has a lot more going on under the surface) and Alden (on the outside the grumpy one with the perfect life, but actually a guy that suffers from anxiety and has so many layers).

They both fell in love with a tabletop card game called Odyssey (probably inspired by Magic the Gathering) and they are
BWT (Belen)
May 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
But for all the unsaid words exchanged, I couldn’t guarantee our story would be one with a happy ending.

Dual POV, third person, New Adult, contemporary, enemies to lovers romance with some angst, miscommunication, but, not to worry, a very happy ending.

I wish the things that happened off page had been fleshed out more (including the love scenes). To be honest, I loved Albert's #Gaymers series (start with Status Update, it's awesome), and was hoping this would be more in that vein, but it's m
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 4.5 Stars

Ahhh this was SO good! I love a great enemies-to-lovers, slow burn romance!

I may have cried a few times too ☺️❤️😉

RTC
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
I really wanted to like this one but I found the chemistry between our two male leads to be lacking. I didn't find the connection as I wanted but I really liked the characters' backgrounds. They're rough. One is socially awkward and has been picked and prodded his entire life by his analytical parents who want to find the root cause to why he's not normal. The other is queer but not accepted by his family so effectively, they kicked him out of the house with no means to pay for his expensive med ...more
Santy
I love Annabeth Albert and have devoured almost all the books she has written. My favourites include the "#Gaymers" series as well as her "Out of Uniform" series so when I saw the ARC for this book about gamers I hoped to it.

Reading the blurb, I obviously couldn't tell what type of gamers these were but from the first few pages,I realised the game being played by our characters was a type of Trading Card game. Prior to this, I had no prior knowledge of such types of games which made this book qu
Javi reads and reads and reads
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020, arcs, lgbt
OMG. I just finished this book and it left me with a thousand butterflies in my belly.

So!

This is the latest book from Annabeth Albert featuring a enemies to lovers slow-burn romance that will make you scream with how cute it is!

First we have Conrad, one of our boys and part of this group playing Odyssey cards under Professor Tuttle, alias Gamer Grandpa. Conrad has had a horrible year, he seems to have dropped out of university, he's having problems at work and on top of that, it appears that he
Isabella
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, feel-good, gifted
actual rating: 3.7 stars~

this is one of those romcom's you randomly start on Netflix and end up having fun the whole way through this was so cute and adorable and beautifully diverse :)
Caz
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B at AAR.

Annabeth Albert is one of the few authors whose books I’ll pick up without needing to know much about them, and I was keen to jump into Conventionally Yours, book one in her new True Colors series.  I enjoyed it and looked forward to picking it up again after I’d had to pause, but I can’t say that it completely worked for me.  I’m not sure if it’s a case of “it’s me, not you”; it reads more like a Young Adult (maybe New Adult?) book than anything else of Ms. Albert
Debra
This is a sweet, slow-burn, New Adult romance with likable characters and a road trip to a gaming convention plot.

While I liked the MCs and am usually a big fan of road trip stories, this one just kind of dragged for me and was quite predictable. It's not a long book but it took me days longer than it should have to get through it. I also didn't really feel the spark between the two until way too close to the end of the story. The MCs are 21 and 23, but did come across as younger.

I liked that
Marilisa
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, 5-stars
I was in the market for something so cute it would make my heart ache and my eyes look like stars. I got it.

I haven't ever read a book about gamers before as I've never been really interested in the whole gamer community to begin with, so I'm not sure what attracted me to this book. Probably shallow reasons such as the cover and the title. But I am oh so glad I gave Conventionally Yours a chance.

We follow the story of two Odyssey gamers, Alden and Conrad, who have known each other for a couple
Alaina
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was really freaking cute.

Conventionally Yours was so easy to devour. In it, you will meet Conrad and Alden. Both have some type of pressure and secrets that they would love to keep hidden from the world. Yet, when they get together to play a game things might start to shift between them.

Being complete opposites from the very beginning, it was pretty easy to ship them together. Plus, they had some cute bantering moments but what can you expect when they are on a car adventure together.
Rox
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, queer
My old mantra of one more turn had become an infinite number of turns, both mundane and earth-shattering, all adding up to a life I wouldn't trade for anything.

Albert is usually a solid hit or a big miss for me and I'm so glad this was a hit. I think she must be a massive nerd who games a whole lot because she writes it like she's lived it.
The obsessive dedication the characters gave the game made me love it too.
Excellent character growth and slow burn!

Thanks to Edelweiss plus and publisher
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
Sep 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
did someone say rivals-to-lovers m/m rom-com with the 'there's only one bed' trope 😎 ...more
Ryan Buckby
Oct 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5/5

I have never read anything by Annabeth before as her books are more on the romance side which are books i really don't tend to read as they don't interest me however i wanted to give this young adult book a go.

I enjoyed the road trip aspect of this book and a good old fashioned road trip is one of my favourite things to read about in a book. I loved getting a journey over the united states in many different states and seeing things change from place to place and it was a g
Sofia S.
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
read the full review over on my blog

Thank you to Netgally and Sourcebooks Casa for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!! All opinions are my own

OH MY GOD. Okay so I've finished this book and my thoughts are all over the place – bear with me.

This isn't only an enemies to lovers book. It's a well done enemies to lovers book. And if you know anything at all about me, I LOVE ENEMIES TO LOVERS. Add to that a road trip and a "there's only one bed"???? This book
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

Another dub. Well... not entirely.

“Conventionally Yours” featured my favorite trope, enemies to lovers and it’s primary focus is on Conrad and Alden, polar opposites. The dynamic duo take a road trip to compete at a convention and in the midst of their adventure, emotions flare.

It was sorta kinda cute I give it that and there wasn’t much to complain about with the characters but… everything else was kind of meh. There lacked sparks between the main characters, the gaming aspe
Adam
Not bad, but not exactly a winner for me.

I was expecting something similar to Annabeth Albert's #gaymers series, which I really enjoyed. That series struck the right balance between gaming and romance for me.

'Conventionally Yours' is quite heavy on the gaming, with a good chunk of the book devoted to actual playing. I have no interest or connection to that world, so I found it difficult to relate to the MCs and to stay focused in the story.

I did like the set-up of Conrad and Alden's romance. Ene
Eugenia
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a delightful YA story from Annabeth Albert!

A road trip to a gaming convention forces two enemies to work together. Along the way they find that they like each other more than they expected, and that outward appearances are deceiving—it’s an old lesson, but one that bears repeating.

I liked the slow burn Albert gave us. I loved the forced proximity. I loved the unnamed neurodiversity of one MC & I loved the unpredictability of another.

I had problems with the pacing. The story dragged and Al
Michael
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-themed
Gaymers paradise meets a buddy road trip flick with the added romance spice.

It is enjoyable and Conrad and Alden are two different characters who develop from specific stereotypes to become complex and beautifully damaged people worthy of love and redemption.

The plot of a cross country trip to potentially win a tournament and solve all your problems is used in countless movies and holds no new twist here. Polar opposites falling in love, also a trope. There is fun in the trip and in watching C
Paula (lovebookscl)
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
English / Español

The Arc of this books was provided by the publishers via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

In a Nutshell: Two enemies travel together to a convention. The mission: don't kill each other or kiss each other....

MC: Conrad (mister charming, cute smile, hot body, golden boy) and Alden (The serious one, smart and cold but deep down he's very sweet)

Plot: Conrad and Alden are forced to travel together to participate in a convention that could change their lives. They both need
Alex (HEABookNerd)
Series: True Colors #1
Rating: 4 stars - really enjoyable

One Sentence Summary: Alden and Conrad are not exactly friendly, but now they have to road trip across the country for an upcoming Odyssey gaming tournament.

Conventionally Yours is very different then what I'm used to from Annabeth Albert but I still enjoyed it. It has Albert's usual character driven romance with nerdy and complex characters but it's definitely a slower burn and sweeter story overall. With more of a new adult feel, Conventi
Sónia
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I received this book from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I love all kinds of games so as soon as I read the synopsis I knew I had to read this.

The story follows Alden and Conrad, two Odyssey (a famous card game) players who seemingly hate each other but are part of the same gaming group under the tutelage of Professor Tuttle, who shares videos of their matches online.

When Professor Tuttle scores tickets for the whole team to attend Odyssey Con, Conrad and Alden
Nadine Bookaholic
Road Trip anyone? lol What a way to bring two people that really don't like one another together, get them to take a road trip cross country, either they'll kill one another or they may just find out there is more to the other person then they originally thought.

I have to confess I am not a gamer but since I loved Annabeth Albert's #gaymers series I had a feeling I would enjoy this one as well. This story is more on the sweeter side and not as spicy as the other stories were but that was fine be
kelly {BookCrushin}
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
The story was fun, i liked the road trip trope and add on the 'oh no only one bed' trope, and especially the enemies to lovers to round off the best tropes in this contemporary romance. There were serious issues, like neurodiversity, new adult stressors like college and jobs and rent, and overall a good shine on how hard it is to open yourself up to the possibility of love. ...more

• Boyfriend Material
  • Under Currents
  • If We Were Us
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • Kiss of Snow (Psy-Changeling, #10)
  • The Chai Factor
  • Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • The Extraordinaries (The Extraordinaries, #1)
  • A Madness of Sunshine
  • The Tycoon's Revenge (Baby for the Billionaire, #1)
  • Marrying Winterborne (The Ravenels, #2)
  • Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1)
  • Better Than People (Garnet Run, #1)
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • Driven by Fate (Serve, #5)
  • Echoes of Scotland Street (On Dublin Street, #5)
  • One to Watch
  • Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas, #5)
Frequent tweeter, professional grammar nerd, and obsessive reader, Annabeth Albert is also a Pacific Northwest romance writer in a variety of subgenres.

Emotionally complex, sexy, and funny stories are her favorites both to read and to write. In between searching out dark heroes to redeem, she works a rewarding day job and wrangles two toddlers.

True Colors (2 books)
  • Out of Character (True Colors #2)

Articles featuring this book

It's no secret that mainstream romances have traditionally skewed very straight. But the romance genre is slowly becoming more inclusive of...
“I did not want to spend days on end in a car with someone who made no secret of not liking me, even though he got along with almost everyone else. Something about the two of us was like mixing Diet Coke and Mentos—guaranteed instant eruption” 1 likes