Start by marking “Makeup Man: From Rocky to Star Trek the Amazing Creations of Hollywood's Michael Westmore” as Want to Read:

Headline: A peak behind the Hollywood mask by one of its foremost makeup artists In Hollywood's heyday, almost every major studio had a Westmore heading up the makeup department. Since 1917, there has never been a time when Westmores weren't shaping the visages of stardom. For their century-long dedication to the art of makeup, the Westmores were honored with a star on the ...more
Expected publication: May 1st 2020 by Lyons Press

To ask other readers questions about Makeup Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Makeup Man

Start your review of Makeup Man: From Rocky to Star Trek the Amazing Creations of Hollywood's Michael Westmore
Jonathan
I am a huge fan of Mr. Westmore and his creations. He has a seemingly unending supply of talent.

This is a short series of stories where Mr. Westmore gradually takes you from the early career of his father, uncles and siblings and then finally his career proper. He jumps around a bit and repeats himself on occasion.

It’s like going out to lunch with your grandfather or father and listening to him tell stories from his Hollywood career. They are all entertaining anecdotes but they all feel sort
Scott Williams
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a teenager, I strongly considered becoming a special effects makeup artist. I was inspired mostly by the work of Michael Westmore, the genius who birthed hundreds of unique creations on the Star Trek series and films from 1987-2005. Somewhere, I have Westmore's response to a fan letter I mailed him in the mid-90s.

This is enjoyable memoir that begins with a history of the Westmore family: makeup artists and hairstylists in Hollywood for four generations. Westmore shares his
Natalie
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
While I've always been a huge fan of the Westmore family and the entire special effects makeup industry, this bio just fell short for me. I wanted (and expected) way more photographs than were included. A few are scattered throughout, but I would love to have really seen more of his work. I did love the individual stories Westmore had with various actors and players through time. And while I am not a Star Trek fan, a great deal of the book is dedicated to that, so be prepared.
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a book!! This is an astonishing look at all of the techniques/ processes that Mr. Westmore has used in his career as one of the eminent cosmetic geniuses in Hollywood. So many incredible anecdotes about his family and the history of American Cinema from when it all began. It is a truly marvelous read if one is interested in the process of making movies, understanding the differences between fashion oriented makeup and television/film makeup!
Lupine Smile
I was very excited to get this book from the library, but I found to read more like an encyclopedia than a memoir. If you are involved with artistic make-ups you will probably find this offering much more interesting than I did. It was good, but I would have liked a book that was lighter on the techniques and heavier on the author and their clients/projects.
A.L.
I heard an interview with Michael Westmore on a Star Trek podcast. He's done some amazing things in Hollywood and has made a huge impact on the Star Trek universe. I had to check out this book.

This book isn't written like a true autobiography, but reads more like a collection of select anecdotes. The images and the behind-the-scenes info about various Star Trek characters were great.
Rachel Risk
3.5 stars- slow at the beginning, but then gets into the juicy Hollywood details I was hoping for. Great photos and tips on makeup application as well.
Juliahoney Kamenker
enjoyed learning about the techniques and all the people he worked with . Didnt realize there were so many Westmores
Cory
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
He's not the best writer in the world, so the narrative was a bit disjointed, but he's led a fascinating life.
Paula
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable.
Miladylc
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book
I enjoyed all the stories in this book
Di
Oct 12, 2017
Heather
Jun 06, 2017
Virginia Johnson
Awesome reading -- was always a fan of his latex molds!
Holly Interlandi
Marcia Piaskowski
Apr 17, 2017
Cheryl
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Face-Off on the SyFy channel is one of my favorites and I was interested in learning more about Michael Westmore. Reading about the history of his family and his career will only make the show more enjoyable.
Isabelle Roberts
Jun 01, 2018
Tara Renee
Aug 03, 2017

• The Infinite Noise (The Bright Sessions #1)
  • Brooding YA Hero: Becoming a Main Character (Almost) as Awesome as Me
  • Cauldron (The Academy #6)
  • Shadow's Seduction (Immortals After Dark, #16; The Dacians, #2)
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Eight Kisses: Eight All-New Tales of Holiday Romance
  • The Land Girls at Christmas (Land Girls #1)
  • Sweet Ruin (Immortals After Dark, #15)
  • The Great Glowing Coils of the Universe (Welcome to Night Vale Episodes, #2)
  • Wicked Abyss (Immortals After Dark, #18)
  • The Clergyman's Wife: A Pride and Prejudice Novel
  • The Last Day
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • The Girl Who Ruled Fairyland - For a Little While (Fairyland, #0.5)
  • The Quite Nice and Fairly Accurate Good Omens Script Book
  • The Maverick's Christmas Homecoming
  • Tammy Wynette: Tragic Country Queen
  • The People's Princess: Cherished Memories of Diana, Princess of Wales, from Those Who Knew Her Best