Start by marking “Deviate (Love in the City, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deviate (Love in the City, #1)

Deviate

(Love in the City #1)

A Love in the City Novel

Falling for him was not part of the plan.

It was the perfect plan. I would marry one of my closest friends and reap the financial rewards. He needed a savior right when I showed up on my white horse. We'd been friends for years, so now we'd be glorified roommates. No one had to know two straight guys decided to tie the knot. We agreed nothin
Published July 15th 2019 (first published July 13th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Deviate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deviate

Start your review of Deviate (Love in the City, #1)
Joyfully Jay
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

The book opens with Jason trying to wrangle his immense finances as he’s maxed out on deductions and the only areas he can’t take advantage of are the ones involving marriage. Jason hadn’t thought he would get married. His relationships are short lived and he’s fine with that. But the financial savings is what really attracts him to the deal.

Quinn is at the end of his financial rope. He hasn’t made it as an artist yet and he’s sold most of his possessions to make
A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog
5+ Stars

Deviate by Mia Monroe is a beautiful love story. The idea of loving a person not restricted by their gender is explored and developed perfectly with Deviate. This twist on the traditional friends to lovers genre intrigued me from the start.

Quinn and Jason struggle through their emotions and preconceived ideas about life and love. Their chemistry builds over the course of the book and I felt the emotional tension escalate as though I was there with them. I found myself thinking about Jas
Heather
Feb 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Friends to lovers is my favorite trope, and I really wanted to love this book...but I really didn't. The first 20% was promising, good world building, interesting characters, good pacing. Then it all went to heck. The next 70% of the book was just incredibly boring and repetitive, the same thing over and over. There was no steam, no excitement, and no chemistry between the two MCs. The will we or won't we thing was so annoying, and the double date with two women just to make sure the two MCs wer ...more
Kate
Do you know what one of my favourite tropes is? Fake relationships. I can't tell you why it just is. Seeing two people grow together and fall in love when there is at least something there between them before they find themselves in the relationship (friendship, attraction, raw chemistry) does something to me. Now take that trope (well, more like a marriage of convenience) and add it to a first time same-sex relationship where two close friends transition to lovers before the end?

YES PLEASE!!!!
~BookNeeds~
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fake fiancé is a favorite trope of mine, although the whole “tax break” was somewhat of a feeble reason to get married. Aside from that this book was fantastic. The struggle to come to terms was real.
Between the sheets book reviews
WOW!!!!! You would not believe after reading DEVIATE that this is Mia Monroe’s first book... she seems like a well seasoned Author with years of experience. I absolutely loved this story, it is up there on my favourite M/M book list.

It starts out as two long time male close friends , Jason is a billionaire with everything money can buy and Quinn is a struggling artist who is finding it difficult to make ends meet. Both men are straight but at the current point in their lives are not wanting to
AlitaConejita
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, 5kin2019
Hmm - not the standard contemporary (M/M) romance.

I’ve gotten to the point I’m used to a certain pacing:
30% - initial engagement (or more physical if on the erotica end of the romance genre)
50-60% - full on physical engagement
75ish% romance crisis
80-90% resolution

This book doesn’t evolve that way. It’s more of a smooth flow ... the broadening and deepening of a relationship. Not angsts at all, and no big crisis point though the characters do have some things to work through. The different pac
HEChapter -Tina J
POV ~> Alternating first-person POV

Jason and Quinn have been friends for years. Jason's thrived and excelled in the real estate market, so much so that his tax bracket is nearly killing him. Quinn, on the other hand, has literally become a starving artist and his friends have no clue just how bad it's gotten.
Just when Quinn faces eviction, Jason's friend and accountant, Charlie, hatches a plan. Marriage on paper only. Get a tax break, help a friend in need. Win-Win. Right?
Until Quinn moves in
Up All Night With Books
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars
Review by Allyson
Late Night Reviewer
Up All Night w/ Books Blog

An unpredictable, beautiful and tantalizing story.

Jason and Quinn have been good friends for quite a long time. Both in two different career paths but their friendship has stayed true. When one needs to ask the favor of a lifetime, commitment and bonds of friendship are tested; emotions and feelings rise.

Deviate showcases more than just a normal MM romance dabbling in love and lust. No, it broadens our horizons and teaches u
Mindy Reader
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
Easy friends to lovers romance

This was a sweet lighthearted friends to lovers romance in the M/M category. Sex scenes were nice (somewhat tame) and story was ok. Reminds me a bit of the hallmark movie Love comes Softly. Everything was pretty easy for our heroes with relatively zero drama/angst. I usually prefer my M/M romance to be more aggressive/intense. If you are looking for a quick lighthearted new age M/M romance then this may be for you.
Lily
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must-read debut of 2019!

Omg is this really Mia Monroe’s debut? I loved it and read it in two sittings! I can’t remember the last time I stayed up late to finish reading a book. It was so good and the sexual tension between Jason & Quinn was off the charts! So happy I took a chance on this new author. I can’t wait for the next standalone book in the series!

#TopFavoritesOf2019
Jen Zingaro
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
4.5 stars -- Honestly.
I am blown away that this book was a debut from a new author.
Blown.away.
This story has such a unique plot. A marriage of convenience to benefit to straight friends.
The writing was smooth. Interesting characters. Well-paced and I didn't want to put it down.
It's sexy and hot and just everything you want out of a good book.
Jamie
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Confusing

I felt confused for a lot of this book. Jason said he wanted to be dominated and Quinn said he would and then he made Jason make all the decisions and moved. Jason’s character was also not very like able.
Essie
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was well written and it was definitely hot, but the whole journey was too smooth for me to love it completely. I would have loved to have some more drama and hurdles before the HEA....
Monica
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Marriage for a tax break? Yup, that's a thing and Jason decides that's what he needs to do when his buddy Charlie suggests he gets hitched for financial convenience.

In comes Quinn, a struggling artist who is behind on rent and on the verge of losing everything he owns. He and Jason are buddies going back to their high school days and when Charlie suggests Jason ask Quinn to marry him in return helping him financially as he continues his art, Quinn accepts. Oh did I forget to mention, they are b
Micky Reviews
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
I love fake relationship stories but this one was a DNF for me. The entitled attitude for the one MC was over the top (whine... I don't want to have to pay my taxes). He describes going up to women at the bar as "I come in all alpha male and aggressive" after his friend softens them up. For me, there has to be something redeeming about the characters, and Jason is just a run of the mill dude bro.

The description of the guy who's struggling to pay his rent as having lots of free time and stress fr
DANNETTE HUGGINS
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jason and Quinn. Straight awakening of friends to lovers.

Both have always known they are straight right? Then there Charlie. Seems to be stirring the pot a little by suggestion that Jason needs to get married for a tax write off. In come Quinn who has been friends with Jason since school days who is having a rough patch in life. In ride Jason. Saving Quinn with a marriage proposal of mutual Satisfaction. They have their ups and downs but the ups are way better. Cute story
Claudia
Sep 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Hmmmmm, so, this started out pretty okay but the more it went on the more I had trouble telling the two leads apart because both had just started waxing poetic about their attraction to one another to each other or themselves basically all the time. And something about the way they came out to Charlie at the end didn't sit right with me; who shares THAT much about their previous intimacy issues with former lovers? That was just a little strange to me.
Shawna
Nov 11, 2020 added it
Shelves: unfinished
Not rating, because I DNF'ed at end of sample. It’s literally about a billionaire trying to pay fewer taxes by marrying a friend. (I mean, this is a billionaire who is actually paying taxes, which is a novelty in and of itself, but still YOU’RE A BILLIONAIRE PAY YOUR EFFIN’ TAXES, ALL OF ‘EM.)

I've enjoyed other books by this author, but I can't do this set up.
Michi Rosa
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
This is a very good (and believable) friends-to-lovers story.
I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Elisa_Monique
Feb 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary, review, mm
As the proverb goes, too many cooks spoil the broth. I was hoping for a MM romance; instead I've got a mixed salad. Just entirely not my thing.
Hannah Smith
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book and definitely found a new favourite author 😊

Love everything about this story, friends to lovers, straight friends to lovers even better, a “fake” marriage 😍😍😍
Judy
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I’ve read by this author and I don’t even know where to begin. When I read the blurb I felt this would be an interesting, fun mm story. Boy it is so much more. It is interesting, fun and mm but it is also beyond emotional, well thought out, sexy, unsure relationship and a outstanding romance story. It is so much more than mm. The author lays out several times its not the gender a person falls in love with but rather the two people who fit together and fall in love no matte ...more
Jenn's Book Obsession
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
★★★★ FOUR SWEET STARS!!!

So, first off I was so surprised to find out this was a debut novel. I literally didn't know until after I had read the book and started looking for more from this author. I read the blurb and was super intrigued. I love fake relationship tropes, so this was totally right up my alley. Add in that both MC's are straight.......... I. AM. ALLLL. OVER. IT!! GIMME. GIMME.

I had no idea who this author was. I had never heard of Mia Monroe and so I jumped right in because I lov
Lola Heart
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Georgiana
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“What you need is a marriage of convenience.”

This is my first read by Mia Monroe and it didn’t disappoint.

This story was so much more than I expected. I was emotional, fun, sexy, serious, and romantic. I found it really thought out and well written.

Jason and Quinn are close friends. Jason wants to find a loophole in his taxes that helps him save more. Quinn is a starving artist about to get evicted from his studio. The two decide to do a marriage of convenience or as they would call it a p
Jean Malherbe
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of the most unusual "slow burn" stories I've ever read.
I love this new to me author.
The writing is strong and error free.
The angle of this tale is quite unique in that both MCs are straight guys looking to solve life's problems.
A (almost) fake marriage will be a win-win. No mess no fuss. Just friends helping one another out of complicated financial issues.

I loved that there were no underlying "secret crushes" from their youth, but just a gradual development of feelings as they spend
Coline Peterson
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A new author and a debut book Mia Monroe has got a winner here! Such a wonderful story of discovering what you need and what it's like to find it and a love so hot it lights a fire that will burn for a life time. When Jason learns he needs to do something about his high tax bracket his lawyer and friend Charlie tells him he should get married, with no future prospects he considers a mutual arrangements  that is beneficial to him and his partner. The one that comes to mind is a good friend he's k ...more
Anabela.M.
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Jason and Quinn sign the contract before their fake marriage, they were so convinced that they're safe from developing feelings for each other. And I had so much fun watching their plans blow up in flames...specifically the flames of their passion...

Living together only brings out how good they get along ,but slowly their perfect match as friends is interlaced with  desire and need for something more. Of course Jason has doubts and questions, surprised by his attraction for another man, but
C.B.
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes there's a reason you get bored dating women. I don't want to pay more taxes just because I'm single! Charlie, friend. Quinn, friend in financial distress. My issue is how the guys will talkopenly about the marriage scheme in a bar? Jason is starting to notice the physical attributes of Quinn. He already knows his personality, his dreams, his goals and his thoughts. Quinn is open to whatever develops. Jason is still questioning himself even though he knows he wants Quinn. Searching for ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Just Friends (Never Just Friends, #1)
  • Geek Tattoo
  • Two Straights Too Many (Heroes of Port Dale, #1)
  • Hopeless Bromantics (Love & Luck #4)
  • The Experiment
  • Bet on Love (Good Bad Idea, #1)
  • Screwed (Four Bears Construction, #4)
  • Painted Lace
  • Falling for the Geek (His Best Friend's Brother, #1)
  • Fake the Date (#Love Wins)
  • The Happy List (Better With You, #1)
  • Hard Target (Wrecked: Guardians #1)
  • Crazy Little Fling (Love & Luck #3)
  • Topping the Jock (Blue Harbor #1)
  • Face Offs & Cheap Shots (CU Hockey #2)
  • Risktaker (Goode Boys, #3)
  • Pitching Tents
  • Calling Your Bluff (Love's a Gamble, #2)

Love in the City (2 books)
  • Damage (Love in the City #2)