Start by marking “Henderbell: The Shadow of Saint Nicholas” as Want to Read:
Henderbell: The Shadow of Saint Nicholas

Henderbell: The Shadow of Saint Nicholas

"Maybe this was the reason why I always felt like an outsider growing up. I never belonged in the ordinary. I was born to live amidst magic." Enzo Griffin

Enzo and Ava Griffin never expected to face their worst nightmare on Christmas eve. Though they always dreamed of magic, they never thought of its actual existence, and the consequence it carries. During a violent sno

To ask other readers questions about Henderbell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henderbell

Start your review of Henderbell: The Shadow of Saint Nicholas
Sasha Alsberg
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you love Narnia, then this is the perfect read for you! It has really great twists and turns throughout, including the ending which left me SHOOK!
Elizabeth Sagan
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon.
Taran Matharu
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Narnia with teeth! J.D.’s somber and atmospheric style shines through in this book. The ending will keep you guessing!
Elizabeth Bravo
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The kidnapping of Saint Nicholas. A curse placed on his bloodline. The world of Henderbell awaits.

Let me start of by saying J.D. Netto did it again. A masterpiece of a book . From the very first sentence to the very last. I was sucked into the world of Henderbell. A story around Christmas who doesn't love Christmas.
Just an FYI you might need some tissues. I know I did.
I highly recommend you reading Henderbell. It's an amazing story.

I recommend
10/10
Jeannine Marie
While Henderbell was a great reminder of my younger days; of reading children's book and widening my imagination with those adventures filled pages. Henderbell also carried a darker side, it tackled aspects and situations that some developing young adults face in real life; such as toxic family household, bullying, and lack of adult care and guidance. Sadly, these aspects weren't utilized to develop the main character and his story.

While the story flow was quite entertaining, it was severely lac
Coco.V
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Fidelia Nerina
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone

Just the first chapter I couldn't help but fall in love with the story. From the moment I began to read to the moment I finished. I couldn't stop reading. The first chapter had me hooked. It's written in a way that makes you curious about what will happen next, but not drag on and make you wait too long. Once you go to the world of Henderbell, you experience and learn about a whole new world. You ra
Hayle Frantz
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just finished Henderbell and there is one thing I need to say to JD Netto. I NEED MORE NOW!! That cliffhanger was NOT OKAY!!

This book was SO good! I literally read it in 24 hours. Now there are some minor errors such as typos and a word being used wrong multiple times but hey it’s fine!💁🏼‍♀️

If you are looking for a great fantasy book to read, this is the book for you! It captures you from the first chapter. AND THE PLOT TWISTS! 😍😍🤯 Yall. Mind blown. Was not prepared in the slightest ! Just r
connor
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT ENDING?!?!?

3.5 stars for grammar and spelling errors, but over all a good story. i would have loved to see the kids sword fighting and being badass like the narnia kids but maybe we'll see that in the next book.

ava's gonna be such a good queen yall i can't wait to see her reign

ishmael/loomstak were so good but for once, just once, i want gay characters to live and have happy endings. straight characters get to have that, why aren't we allowed to?
Melanie M
Nov 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
I picked up this book based on several reviews comparing it to Narnia. That was so misguiding. I love Narnia, I often dream about Narnia, I re-read Narnia about once a year... but this has NOTHING TO DO WITH NARNIA. And it doesn't even come close to Lewis' work.
It was with great pain that I forced myself to reach the end of the book. What a waste of time.
ivy
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was the perfect Christmas read for Fantasy fans. Can't wait for book two! ...more
Shandell Jensen
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it!! Kept me on my toes!! Lots of twists and turns and a shock ending!! ❤️❤️❤️ to J.D can’t wait for more!
Tiffany Martin
Really cool concepts in this YA novel. Ava & Enzo are thrust into the adventure of a lifetime when their grandparents are kidnapped at Christmastime by these evil beings, called Shadow Spirits. Ava & Enzo go after them and enter the world of Henderbell. They discover their grandparents are actually the King and Queen of Henderbell...and in truth, are in fact, Mr and Mrs. Santa Clause but this tale is a far darker twist. And, I really enjoyed the darker twist to this story plot. And, of course, w ...more
Jennifer Erickson
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr
Refreshingly unpredictable storyline and unexpected conclusion. I’m looking forward to seeing where J.D. takes this story next!
Ida
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun read! I especially loved the villain characters and the concept for the world of Henderbell. There is so much undiscovered in this world that I want to read more about and what an ending!! I really hope for a second book!:):)
Marilee
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was fortunate to win a copy of Henderbell: the Shadow of Saint Nicholas in an Instagram giveaway, and I'm so glad I did! I really enjoyed it. It's about siblings Enzo and Ava, a family curse, magic, saving two worlds, and all with a dark Christmas twist! I am truly excited to see what will happen in the next book! ...more
Kaylabookworm22 L
I took my time reading this book because I was fascinated with the world the author created and didn’t want it to end too soon. It was unique and interesting leaving me wanting more books with these characters in it. I look forward to reading more books with them in it.
Nargis  Kalani
"The prophecy of the empty thrones will come to pass. The magic of time is no longer contained in royal blood. We ventured into the human realm and found them. The spirits you once cast away have now returned to avenge who they are."

I want to thank JD Netto for providing me with an e-ARC of his book in exchange for an honest review.

This book gave me Narnia vibes but honestly, the story is way differ
Stephanie Sarac
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you are like me and don't read contemporary too often but wanted a holiday book, then this book is for you. I was so excited to find a fantasy Christmas book. The story itself is a great story and I loved it. It would have been a five star read if the editing was better. ...more
Kelsie Christensen
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my god this was PHENOMENAL! Twists and turns I didn’t see coming and that ending though.... I need the next book! Perfectly dark and magical and Christmas-y. Loved every second of it 😍
Gina Hawk
How is it going to end like that?! Is their going to be a sequel?!

This was a nice, quick and atmosphere holiday read. Perfect type of book to cozy up to and breeze through quickly.

I loved the different but same type of perspective on Christmas. But I need answers!!!

I would say this leans more towards the younger audience of YA, but that’s coming from a 35 year old woman. 😀

Good choice Beacon Book Box.

Kindle Unlimited
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an entertaining Winter/Christmas fantasy story with good pacing however I felt it lacked character development. My favorite character was Ava. I felt she was the most developed and I can totally relate to her love of plushies. Kurah was an interesting character as well. He reminded me of the Celtic God Cernnanous.

I really don't get how this is being compared so much to Narnia. I guess the "winter fantasy" but the comparisons end there for me. I really wanted to like this more but maybe
Rhin Black
I was very excited to get this book. I got the special edition Beacon Book box specifically made to be centered around this book. The description really caught my fancy. I wasn't expecting a lot honestly. Just a fun Christmas book. I waited till today, the 23rd of December to start so that I can be sure to finish on Christmas. I've had this book for about a month now.

I started and...20 pages in, I finally gave up. I wanted to give up 3 times in the first 10 pages. While the idea is probably good
Diana J
Dec 31, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was terrible! It was littered with typos, expected you to just KNOW important characters and the rules in which the worlds and their magic functioned. Usually a book like this would take me a day to finish. It took me four because I had to force myself to read it, I did pay for it after all. It read like it was written by a middle schooler
Tracey
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book! I read it in one day because I had to know what happened next. I loved that it was different from most the books I've been reading lately. It follows two kids who have a bad home life and their journey in a new world. The characters are very realistic and I felt so many emotions reading this. The end is killing me, I hope there is a sequel...SOON! ...more
Mahrosh
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AH...!
'HENDERBELL'

Another Magical World u would never want to leave. Honestly! J. D. is so cruel he know how to MURDER a Reader. I am still screaming After a week. Every Character is so (you Know) Heart touching.
It got me hooked from the 1st chapter and even in the middle I thought I spoiled myself then something sooo twisted happened and I was startled for an hour. It has really great twisted story. You guys gonna love AVA and DOOPAR soo much believe me.

P.S: J.D I want 400 pages in book 2.
Andrew Sanchez-King
This book was phenomenal. Some very deep themes spread throughout and not expecting some of twists. The antagonists were actually terrifying and ruthless and I loved it. As a product of an Enzo that never got help to come to his senses, and having a couple little sisters, the cave scene definitely hit home.

"Maybe this is the reason why I had always felt like an outsider growing up. I never belonged in the ordinary. I was born to live amidst magic"

This quote really resonated with me cause I too
Emily Morgan
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book! JD, you did a phenomenal job! It had me on tender hooks the whole way through! The best way I think I can describe this book is Narnia meets The Santa Clause meets Harry Potter, without all of the fluffy nonsense. It is definitely not your average Christmas story. And that ending! What a way to close a book. I needed a whole pack of tissues and I had to read the last page at least half a dozen times before I was certain I had read it right. Can I get another one now please?!
Felicia Snook
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t put it down! This story was amazing from start to finish. I love anything magic but to get a background of Saint Nicholas that isn’t just some fairytale with a happy ending? I can’t wait for book 2, I’ll be over here impatiently waiting!
« previous 1 3 next »

• This Will Kill That (This Will Kill That, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • Master of One
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Nameless Queen
  • Star Daughter
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Welcome to Shadowhunter Academy (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #1)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Wolf Hunt
  • A Royal Shade of Blue (Modern Royals #1)
  • Beauty and the Billionaire (Dirty Fairy Tales #1)
  • The Kill Club
  • Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • The One Last Kiss (Bad Boy, #1)
  • One Last Kiss
  • The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)
Born in a small town in Brazil, J.D. relocated to the United States when he was eleven years old. At an early age, J.D. discovered his passion for fantasy stories and alternate universes. His first book series, The Whispers of the Fallen, has captivated readers around the world, becoming a prominent voice in young adult fantasy. He's also the founder of the Saved by the Page movement.

J.D. Netto is

News & Interviews

“The world we see in our minds become our reality. Yes, we have to fight against darkness every once in a while, but those who persevere get their reward.” 1 likes
“The value of something isn't lost because its appearance is old. It's the heart that's the most previous treasure of all.” 1 likes