Start by marking “Blessed Are the Cheesemakers” as Want to Read:
Blessed Are the Cheesemakers

Blessed Are the Cheesemakers

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  2,626 Ratings  ·  426 Reviews
Set on a small Irish dairy farm, this tender and funny debut novel follows two lost souls as they try to carve out new lives amid a colorful cast of characters reminiscent of those in the hit film Waking Ned Divine. Abby has been estranged from the family farm since her rebellious mother ran off with her when she was a small child. Kit is a burned out New York stockbroker ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Blessed Are the Cheesemakers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blessed Are the Cheesemakers

Dorothyanne Brown
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To give full context, I'm in the middle of a move, tied up with family concerns, and otherwise surviving the end of a particularly nasty winter. I kept this book out of the packed file because I planned to read it and leave it behind.
Within the first few pages, I realized that there was no way I could do that. I have to keep this sweet, loveable book nearby. The magical cheese farm of the Josephs Corrigan and Feehan, with its gaggle of singing pregnant milkmaids and cows that milk best to the S
CMT325
Apr 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cheese lovers, unite! I eat cheese everyday, so the title drew me in. One thing I found charming was how, in the beginning, the cheese was personified as an angry female who was offended at being left in the fridge to rot. This is just one of the odd/fun ways of writing in Lynch's novel. Another neat thing were the "quotes" on the art of cheesemaking. For example, I never thought about how good cheese needs to come from good grass(the cow's food) ... and even the rain, sun, and time effect the c ...more
Eva
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of a Maeve Binchy novel. It is a tender tale of redemption and second chances. Deep in County Cork, Joseph Corrigan (Corry) and Joseph Feehan (Fee) make small batches of world famous cheese. Their two families have worked together for many generations, one family providing the milk and the other, the cheese making genius. When we first meet the old boys, they are interviewing for a new dairymaid. Her qualifications must be that she can carry a tune, has short fingernails, a ...more
Erinn
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So worth reading, I can't tell you !
Every now and then I think to myself 'I wish I were a cheesemaker...'
Quirky tale of the love inherent in making good cheese and the redemption and reclamation of young women gone 'awry'.
Perhaps it doesn't deserve a 5 star, but I give it that because of the delightful old men that put their love and patience and energy into ripening their cheese...
Laugh out loud funny. Sweet and memorable, the taste lingers in my memory still.
Martha
May 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vacationers and beach bums
If I could give it 2 and 1/2 stars, I would. Not particularly well-written or all that funny. It was cute. By no means was it a deep and thoughtful romance. It was on the level with Danielle Steele novels (both in story content and complexity of read) versus Anita Shreve. I give it 3 stars because it's fun, quick and perfect for the summer. Those of you who have read my reviews know that I am totally into mindless "chick-lit" right now and this was perfect for me with one personal exception whic ...more
Barbara
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I started this book, I thought it was a cute, easy summer read. At about page 230 it got really weird, and although I wanted to find out how it ended, I really didn't like it.

This reminded me of a bad "Lifetime made for TV movie."
Beth Gabor
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was so much fun! It is indeed a love story, similar to Chocolat, but the real love story isnt between the two you would suspect. Pick this book up when you want something light and fun and you need a good chuckle.
Michelle
(3.5 stars) Three stories come together in an Irish dairy farm. Corrie and Fee are the elderly cheesemakers, who are desperate to find the next generation before it is too late. Their operation is a labor of love, with many quirks, including pregnant, vegetarian milkmaids who milk to the Sound of Music. Abbey is the granddaughter who was taken away from the farm by her mother, and after marrying at a young age, she lives on a Pacific Island with her husband who is obsessed with irrigation. When ...more
Annalisa
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an extremely amusing audiobook. I loved the narrator, Heather O'Neill, she had so many different voices and accents that were at times funny and at times serious. I don't know if they were necessarily authentic but I really enjoyed listening.

The book started out in three different locations Ireland, New York City, and the Pacific Island Ate'ate, but converges on the Coolarney cheese factory in Ireland. This is not a story for those who are offended by language, fecking (Irish pronunciat
Jamie Erin
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blessed Are the Cheesemakers is a fun, cozy read. It’s very easy to get into, and has many likeable characters.

Set primarily in Ireland, the story has elements of magical realism, such as an old cheesemaker with the ability to see into the future, and cheeses with magical attributes.

I really enjoyed the narrator’s voice. You can almost hear a warm smile in her words as she unfolds the story. Although this book addresses some heavy issues (such as alcoholism, adultery and even death), there is
Momruns5
Oct 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good fast read. Not a deep thinking book, but a really sweet and surprisingly funny romance, but not just a romance and not a sickingly sweet romance. I laughed out loud a few times. Fee was my favorite character. I want to try some good cheese now. My tastes are really low. Cache Valley cheese is my premier.

Abby has been estranged from the family farm since her rebellious mother ran off with her when she was a small child. Kit is a burned out New York stockbroker who's down on his luck.
Lynn
Sep 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun. I think if I were British - or Irish - or Australian - or something - I would have given it another star. The colloquialisms kind of threw me for a loop -trying to figure out how we might say the same thing here in America. The idea - a dairy farm in Ireland that crafts sublime cheese made using milk gathered by pregnant vegetarian young women from cows all named Maria, and the characters including a psychic old man and a farm full of quirky characters- calls Alice Hoffman to mind ...more
Kimberly
Nov 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Former Irish tourists, cheese lovers, and people needing a sense of family
Recommended to Kimberly by: Dixie
This book was, at the risk of sounding cliche, magical. I would have read it just for the way the dialogue is written in a blatant Irish accent. The relationship between the two cheesemakers and their little "family" is so tender. The ending actually produced blurry vision; I was surprised to find myself crying. And the ill will they harbor for their pasteurizer, Old Fart Arse, made me chuckle a few times. If you're sensitive to graphic sexual references, though, I'd skip this book.
Sue
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved the Irish dialect and the great local characters. I loved the idead of such a place and such people. I have been reading too many 'deep' books lately and this one was refreshing and just plain fun.

I also loved the cheese making. I think it would be a blast to learn how to make cheese.
Kami
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really enjoyable book. I found myself literally laughing out loud at parts. I listened to the audiobook (unabridged, of course) and thought the narrator was really great - definitely added to the character of the book.
Carol
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jacinda Buss
Recommended to Carol by: Gina M.
Fun read! Loved the wacky characters. Loved the British humor. Loved the cheese chronicles at the beginning of each chapter. The story works ... don't take anything too seriously. Lots of surprises. Now this is a summer read!
Brita
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En trevlig och underfundig historia. En feelgood historia. Kanske också en bok om att höra till, höra ihop med något eller någon och det kanske inte var som du trodde det skulle vara från början. Man får ändra sig. Jag kommer att minnas den här boken länge hoppas och tror jag.
Henry
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another pseudomym of Sophie's? What is her real name, I wonder.

This book is zany but fun to read: most events are improbable but add to the plot, just as the events in her Shopaholic do.
Good for some great laughs mixed with sorrow and revenge.
The charactes make the story.
Kate
Apr 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book this year because I laughed out loud, I cried, and I want to go live with the characters. A very fun, quick read. Thanks for recommending it Karen!
Lanette
Cute, quirky characters. Didn't love it as much as "The Wedding Bees" but I enjoy her ability to infuse magical bits into the story-line (much like my favorite author, Sarah Addison Allen.)
Natalia Iwanyckyj
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this story of imperfect people and divine timing. Enjoyed learning about cheese-making lore. Liked all of the characters, especially Fee. Going directly to another book by the same author.
Lauredhel
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure none of my friends could ever have guessed that a quirky magical-realist fluffy-with-dark-edges cheesemaking romance would be right up my alley. None at all.
Mary Catherine
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blend a peaceful countryside, understanding people, problems and a little mystery and you have a great book to curl up with and want to finish in one sitting.
Shannon
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely escape read that make me laugh and cry!!
I think it would be a fabulous movie reminiscent of Waking Ned Devine.
Chris Levernier
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! There are truly good people in the world!!!
K. East
I would give this book 2.5 stars if that were possible. By the end of the third chapter you can already figure out where the plot is going and how it will end, and I almost gave up on it then because it felt like a Hallmark special romance. But I found the characters just quirky enough to keep reading. There were plots elements that were different enough -- the baby issue on the Pacific islands, the dead wife in NYC, the Pregasurus -- but from the start, the story just felt silly. Sort of pointl ...more
Twila
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This whimsical romance kept me smiling and, boy, did I learn a lot about cheesemaking. The characters are sweet but not saccharin. Fee and Corrie, who are at the center of this cheesemaking empire, are lovable and quirky protectors of people and secrets. With a wink, a knowing nod, and a bit of Irish intuition, their endless patience produces fine results. This is a light read that warms your insides.
Susanne
The setting reminded me of a Patrick Taylor novel – charming, wholesome (in many ways), old-world-ish. Such out-of-the-ordinary life situations made the story interesting and, at the same time, dismissively unbelievable. The timelessness of the little cheese community is what I’ll remember most vividly.
mary
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much whimsy, so quirky and ohhh so fun! Love, love this. Each chapter begins with a charming account of cheese making. The characters are well-developed and believable. Gives one a good feeling. Well written. BRAVO!!
Donna
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each of her books teaches me something, whether it is about bees and honey or sourdough bread (which I now bake and have my started ready at all times). This book didn't disappoint. Not that I plan to make cheese but now I know what goes into making it. Was surprised when it ended, wanted more.
  • Eating Heaven
  • Pomegranate Soup
  • Pastries: A Novel of Desserts and Discoveries
  • Bread Alone (Bread Alone, #1)
  • The Ensign, November 2013
  • Crescent
  • Clementine in the Kitchen
  • When Fish Fly: Lessons for Creating a Vital and Energized Workplace from the World Famous Pike Place Fish Market
  • Francesca's Kitchen
  • The Food of Love
  • Starting from Scratch
  • Georgia's Kitchen
  • Semi-Sweet: A Novel of Love and Cupcakes
  • Nectar
  • Apricots on the Nile: A Memoir with Recipes
  • Cooking for Mr Latte - A Food Lover′s Courtship, with Recipes
  • Chicken Soup for the Single's Soul (Chicken Soup for the Soul (Paperback Health Communications))
  • Falling for Grace: Trust at the End of the World (Trust Williams Trilogy)
Sarah-Kate Lynch is quite a cranky journalist of several decades who prefers making things up to recording them accurately. This is not very good if you are a journalist, which may explain (a) the crankiness and (b) why she now writes novels.

She also writes two columns in the New Zealand Woman's Day, New Zealand's best-selling weekly magazine. One is about nothing and the other is about travel.

Sar
More about Sarah-Kate Lynch...

“Jacey's eyes hardened. She did not appreciate reality coming along and snapping her thong.” 0 likes
“In my experience there’s not a state in the world,” Fee said matter-of-factly, “that cannot be greatly improved by close proximity to cheese. Especially” 0 likes