Start by marking “The Art of the Handwritten Note: A Guide to Reclaiming Civilized Communication” as Want to Read:
The Art of the Handwritten Note: A Guide to Reclaiming Civilized Communication

The Art of the Handwritten Note: A Guide to Reclaiming Civilized Communication

From overcoming illegible penmanship to mastering the challenge of keeping straight margins, avoiding smeared ink, and choosing stationery that is appropriate but suits your style, this is a powerful little guide to conveying thoughts in an enduring--and noteworthy--way.

For those who enjoy writing notes, or those who value doing so but find themselves intimidated by the
Published January 22nd 2002 by Three Rivers Press (CA)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of the Handwritten Note, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of the Handwritten Note

Start your review of The Art of the Handwritten Note: A Guide to Reclaiming Civilized Communication
Linda Wright
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book on a recent trip to the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina. While there, I fully immersed myself in the social etiquette of the early 20th century. I found myself dreaming of a simpler place and time. Browsing through the bookstore, I was drawn to The Art of The Handwritten Note.

Writing notes as a child to my grandparents is what built the foundation for my writing life. I still love to write notes, but as a society we've opted to replace personal interactions
Ed Kay
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As one of the generation which fell between the stools of antiquated communication and modern technology, I was always a fan of the handwritten letter and miss that personal touch lost in email and social media. This is certainly a grand reminder of the beauty and elegance that handwritten notes can bring to our lives, and it has inspired me to endeavour to awaken this old habit in the new year.

Shepherd offers some useful tips on phraseology for more difficult letters - condolences in
Emily Davenport
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
A timely, short treatise on how important it is to write notes to friends, family, and others on a variety of occasions. Shepherd's tone is certainly superior at times, but if this book motivates you to take up pen and paper and reach out to someone, she has accomplished her goal.
Cat Juggler
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Aug. 24, 2017
The author is in agreement with my own philosophy.
Not enough time is spent nurturing relationships. Stand back away from the glass screen and keyboard; send a note that won't infect the other mail around it with a virus.

Aug. 27, 2017
"Ever since the advent of e-mail, one hardly ever got anything interesting in the post, apart from bills and junk mail. Agatha put the junk mail on one side to be thrown away and the bills on the other side. There was an interesting-looking square
Samuel
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A useful manual for a dying—yet still relevant—art.
Pamela
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
You're preaching to the choir, here, sister. Long a fan and regular practitioner of hand-written notes, I still found plenty to like here. Shepherd offers advice, examples, and "Do and Don't" lists that alternate between quite helpful and hopelessly classless (case in point, one of the "Do" lists which offers this gem for a break-up note: "Your socks are on your windshield to remind you that the rest of your stuff is packed in the car" p. 124). There are quotes, reproductions of notes written by ...more
penny shima glanz
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
While written notes and I never formally parted for long, I am rediscovering the joy they bring to myself and the recipient. I do, however, fear that years of email correspondence has corrupted my ability to write notes. In this slim volume, Shepherd has packed useful information from choosing what to write on, what to write with, and how to close the letter. She includes helpful hints for improving your handwriting (which I needed, I have the fountain pens, but needed the simple exercises) and ...more
Carolyn
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How wonderfully true this little book. I still have three friends young and old who write me hand written letters. One even has a Stamp of fake wax circle to close the envelope. The message in this tome is clear, we must not let this art die. Nor should we neglect telling those we love just how much they mean to us in words they can actually touch knowing your hand caressed the pen that wrote them. Beautiful thruthful book to start the year off right. Loved it.
Elizabeth☮
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth☮ by: Jennie
A nice handbook on the art of writing letters. There are practical lists of what you should say and what you should not say when sending condolences, congratulations or thanks.

Some of the chapters on pens and stationery choice were interesting, but not always practical.

I liked the short chapters and the examples inserted of various letters.
Lori
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Informative, some nice quotes, and a reminder of the importance of writing a handwritten note.
Kathleen
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I love to write so no one has ever had to prod me to write a thank you note or drop a note to someone I have been thinking about. A friend gave me this book last week, and it has been kind of fun to see my writing needs affirmed: a special pen, artistic note cards, a cup of tea, a quiet mind.

Building the case for letter writing vs. emails, texts or phone calls as a means of pleasure for the writer and the recipient rang true for me. How I savor the note received in the mail. For those who have
Nick Wilson
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must confess: this was an impulse read. And one I don’t regret.

It reminds of the earlier days of my life when I sent and received notes regularly. Admittedly, this was written over 15 years ago - in a time that was even less reliant on electronic communication than today.

This book focuses on the simple note - not to be confused with the letter, of which she writes a whole separate book. She addresses the most important “reasons” to send notes: thanks, condolence, apologies, etc. She
Abigail
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
A good introduction to writing notes. I found the materials section a touch snooty. But the reasons to write and the etiquette behind simple notes were very good. (The short section on handwriting improvement was also very nice) Each section for the different types of notes had a list if dos and don'ts and sample real world notes and etiquette faqs. I would have liked a little more explicit examples but overall this is a good intro for those interested in getting started in short form epistolary ...more
Mary
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely little book on the proper use of the written word and why it shouldn't go out of style. As someone who is currently getting into handwritten letters and notes, I enjoyed it, but like the author's similar book on conversation, there's nothing really groundbreaking here. Just simple, good advice.
Kristen
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A gift from a friend (which was accompanied by a handwritten note) I was excited about this little book. It is delightful but a bit outdated at this point. Lots of her prompts are still relevant, but her conventions, and certainly her references, are not. But a great starter if you are stuck on how to begin a composition.
Steven
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I very much liked the meditations on handwriting and what it means. I liked rather less the moralizing about 19th-century social rituals. Shepherd has, however, persuaded me to send more handwritten notes, so mission (partly) accomplished.
Audrey Campbell
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I bought this on Kindle hoping for ideas on what to say for certain situations. I never know what to say in a sympathy card. Thankfully, I found what I was hoping for plus more excellent etiquette tips.
Leonard
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Makes a strong case for handwriting a note to communicate gratefulness, compassion, empathy, and other emotions, rather than using electronic impulses which are without exception artificial, fleeting, and not near as personal, civilized, or meaningful.
Jenny Preston
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great little book. There isn't anything earth shattering in here, but I appreciate the reminder of the many times and places a handwritten note is just the right touch. I especially value the many sample notes included in the pages, to help me as I write my own.
Jeanne
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting book, which is sort of a "how to guide" to write a handwritten note, a lost art in these days of email and tweeting. I found it refreshing but I also enjoy writing handwritten notes.
Laundrylady
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent read
M M
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Made me want to rush out and buy new pens and stationary.
Margaret Traudt
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great challenge to write more handwritten notes.
Ariel Jensen
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was alright. Mostly it was a good reminder to write more letters. It achieved its purpose but wasn’t altogether very interesting.
Mark
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a nice book on the value of handwritten notes but does little for the reader who already understands the importance and is looking for ways to improve their handwritten correspondence.
Starbubbles
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: language-writing
I hated this. Hated it! If I had to read "handwritten is best," "do it with class," "send your note promptly," or to do any of her pet peeves equates to juvenile, immature, and rude behavior one more time, I was going to throw the book clear across the room. This is not an exaggeration, as I slammed it shut at least once and had to take a breather.

If Shepherd could look past her calligraphy wielding ways for long enough to see the light of day, she would have realized that by the mere fact that
Sarah Beth
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it
This concise little volume tells you precisely why and how you should go about writing notes - on what occasions and using what phrases, writing instruments, etc. "The handwritten note has an intrinsic value beyond its rarity. It's not just an antiquarian curiosity, it's an extremely useful tool. It upgrades a wide variety of messages, transforming 'Oops' into 'Please accept my apology,' and 'Got the money' into 'Thank you for your generosity.' Ink on paper is still the classiest way to express ...more
Marian Flaherty
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Art of the Handwritten Note
Making out holiday cards this year I began to recollect a time in my life when sending cards and letters was more than an annual event. After my parents died 20 years ago I discovered a treasure trove of correspondence I had sent my parents during my youth while away at camp or traveling. There was also a large box full of letter my father wrote my mother during World War II while he was overseas. There was a large collection of postcards and letters my mother had
Ren
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-read
Margaret Shepard is one of my favorite authors for short, succinct, and distinctly helpful etiquette books. The Art of the Note takes the reader through three stages of note writing:
1. How to express yourself through your choice of materials.
2. The occasions that require notes
3. How to write each kind of note

As with all etiquette books, the emphasis is on one’s connection to the whole and reciprocity. More than any other etiquette book, however, Shepherd uses the note to teach the reader how to
Barb Hildebrandt
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love letter writing and write several thank you notes each month.

This book was written in 2002 and so much has changed. Not very timely since we no longer talk on the phone and texting, skyping and emailing have moved to the forefront of communication.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lu (Track, #4)
  • Red Letter Revolution: What If Jesus Really Meant What He Said?
  • Education
  • The Sonship of Christ: Exploring the Covenant Identity of God and Man
  • Comedy Sex God
  • The Characters of Christmas: The Unlikely People Caught Up in the Story of Jesus
  • What Teachers Make: In Praise of the Greatest Job in the World
  • Teach Like a Pirate: Increase Student Engagement, Boost Your Creativity, and Transform Your Life as an Educator
  • Two from Galilee: The Story of Mary and Joseph