Start by marking “Get Together: How to build a community with your people” as Want to Read:
Get Together: How to build a community with your people

Get Together: How to build a community with your people

"With no jargon and no nonsense, Bailey, Kevin and Kai lay out simple, practical steps for helping people come together in meaningful and powerful ways."
--Dave Isay, Founder of StoryCorps and winner of the TED Prize

Although communities feel magical, they don't come together by magic.

Get Together is a practical and heartfelt guide to cultivating a community. Whether st
Published August 20th 2019 by Stripe Press

To ask other readers questions about Get Together, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Together

Start your review of Get Together: How to build a community with your people
Oana Filip
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent read for anyone who wants to build communities and tribes of all kinds, both digital and non-digital. It walks you through everything you need to know to create, nurture, and consolidate groups of people towards the same goals. And, of course, it shows you why a community builder is, before anything else, a leader.

“Like most relationships, communities don’t form overnight; they take time to flourish. You’ll need to stay invested in these people if you want to bring a co
Scott Robinson
Sep 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Certainly, you can accomplish great things without a thriving community alongside you. But if you join forces—as company and customers, artists and fans, organizers and advocates—you'll do more together than you ever could alone.

The authors believe the goal of community building is to create a revenue stream; often for a company, definitely for you.

Otherwise a concise book on how to organise interest groups. The tl;dr:

1. Invite interested people to a shared activity over a common purpose.
2. Crea
Bilal Jr.
Apr 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: community
a simple definition of the word community is : " a group of people with diverse characteristics who
are linked by social ties, share common perspectives, and engage in joint action in geographical
locations or settings "

But why read this book & why read about communities first place ?

the answer would be non but " we have to " , because being a worker make us part of our work community , being a traveler with group make us part of that community , selling a certain product to customers make us
Martin Brochhaus
May 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
My first foray into Stripe Press (I bought all their books).

As the organiser of the Python User Group Singapore, this is quite relevant to me and indeed, I got a few good ideas out of it, but I gotta say it is disappointingly thin on content.

If you just write down all headlines on a DIN A4 paper, you have the entire gist of the books and reading it for real is almost pointless, because each headline is spiced up with maybe one, maximum two examples, that are described in one or two paragraphs
Mia Quagliarello
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Get Together” is an immensely readable and useful book that demystifies community-building from the ground up. Step by step, Bailey, Kevin and Kai take you through getting communities to get together, stick together and grow together. Chapters are supported with helpful questions and pages to write notes, and inspiring stories — including the authors’ own — are sprinkled throughout. The Mariah Carey superfan story made me tear up! It also framed my own experience in a way I didn’t appreciate un ...more
Ken Gronnbeck
Jan 18, 2021 rated it liked it
Book is short and sweet. The content is useful but think it was a bit underwhelming. Guess if I was going to start a community the books checklist would be very handy. But lot of the content feels like filling so it could be a book.
Arti
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
The book is guide to building a community - a group of people who share a common interest and are passionate about it - and covers the full lifecycle from starting one, growing it and sustaining it...

and while everything that the book covers is probably known to all of us, the structure, the stories and the examples help to put it in context and makes you look into your own methods and reflect... it shows that the same principles apply to all communities - from fitness meet-ups, fan clubs , net
rixx
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is an alright book if you want to build a "community" for a corporate entity. It tries to provide more than that, but everything it suggests feels just slightly icky and tainted with this corporate language. But it does provide actionable advice, and a solid focus on engagement and growth.

It also presents an impressive collection of well-researched current examples for communities like Twitch. Sadly, no failures are examined, so the survivorship bias is strong here.

For an advice collection
Jon Douglas
Jul 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I have to say, when it comes down to aesthetically pleasing books, this book ranks quite high. I did however find much of the content to lack depth & many of the stories were quite short which made me feel quite detached. It was a fast & easy read regardless.
Katya
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great hands on guide for starting communities, big and small with tons of exciting stories told be community leaders - beautifully published and a joy to own.
Sam
Apr 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Leaders responsible for building or nurturing communities
Shelves: product-business
Get Together is a handbook on how to practically build, engage, and sustain communities. It removes the guesswork of due diligence by providing a checklist of action items after every chapter based on practices of successful communities. As such, expect your relationship with the book to last well beyond the initial read-through; I will be returning to this book as a reference.

I was recommended this book alongside Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us to build a Christian fellowship I started at my uni
Matías
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it
It's motivating, has what is needed to learn from other's experiences that really flourished, and works as a starting point to build a community, since the questions asked to leaders (that would be you, the reader) are really on point based on my experience creating communities.

I don't give it more stars because I was maybe expecting something else, rather than an empirical written book, but that's just me.

I'd totally read it again some other time, and recommended to anyone as a starting point f
Karan Navani
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wasn’t sure what to expect but turned out to be good

I picked up this book not knowing the first thing about community building. All I knew was this was a popular read on the topic. With that in mind, I’m really glad with the material.

I like the stepped approach which aligns with how your community evolves over time. There are great examples in the book and good actionable advice. I’m also a fan of the summary checklist at the end of each chapter.
Richfield Branch
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Agree with the other 4-5 star reviews. When I think of groups that I am more apt to follow, I think it is the origin story (as mentioned in here), as well as the high amount of training, learning contributing, particiaption afforded, sense of identiy that grabs me. So the book presents great elements to include.
Not to mention, I got ideas of what other groups to follow- such as Edcamp, as well as a podcast: Get Together
Laiba
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book outlines really good principles and I definitely recommend reading it if you are in the field of community management or would like to start your own online community. I gave it 4 stars as I found it to be a boring read, it is packed with information but a lot of it is on surface-level and I found myself longing for a philosophical touch to the approach. Nevertheless, a good read.
Sophie Cua
Mar 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: handbooks
Very practical guide on how to build a community that will last. Personally, super enjoyed it because I'm a very process-driven person and it helped that literally every step was numbered and explained in depth. Gives concrete steps and actions that a person can do to create a community not just for themselves but most importantly, for others. Loved the examples that were used and cited! ...more
Gustavo Pimenta
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Get Together is an excellent hands-on book about cultivating communities. Its perfect balance between theory, case studies, summaries, and checklists make it a no-brainer for anyone who wants to take the first steps in this area — being also insightful for experienced community builders.
Spencer Vail
Feb 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
A good book overall and helpful to community professionals in general. However, I found myself wishing there were more direction and commentary on more deeply technical companies. Useful things throughout though and do recommend other community professionals read it.
Anh de Vietnam
Apr 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: people
Good insights that could be condensed in an article
Louis Holstein
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Super great start to Community Building. It got me all kinds of inspired.
Zidane
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Best book on what it takes to build a really amazing community in the real world. Top 5 books I've read this year and the best I've read on building communities. Definitely recommend. ...more
Jeremy Moore
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe 3.5 stars.... a bit light, but that made for quick reading, some good concepts and thoughts...
Diego
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazon-audible
Precise and very very valuable
Bethany Gill
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really great manual for those interested in or building a community online or offline.

It’s part workbook which makes it a real go-back-to/time and-time again sort of book.

I’d love to see more from these authors.

I feel this is a great summary of community management, but I’d love to hear more from them.
Zak Schmoll
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This is a remarkably fast read. I didn't realize how quick it would be when I started just a few hours ago, but it is a very practical primer on how to build a community. They focus especially on transition and growth planning. If your community is very successful, you will get to the point where you cannot do everything yourself, so they emphasize how to develop excited community members who can take on different roles.

Like I said, this is a very quick read. I wish they would go into a little b
Adam
Nov 27, 2020 is currently reading it
This book helped me with created my own community of people who read books. Great!
glassglow
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Solid handbook for each stage of building community. Also, it's a really stylish book. ...more
Melissa Nawyn Bennett
Pragmatic and actionable. Nothing innovative, or inspiring.
Lisa
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is so pretty. Foil letters on the front, graduated colored edges of each page from red to orange to yellow.
Very well written, and organized, its easy to read and understand. It gives step by step directions to building a better community and sprinkled within the book are inspiring stories.

Tracy
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-non-fiction
To start, this is a beautifully designed book. Red foil on the cover type, simple gradient cover all over, patterned endpapers. Each chapter is assigned a color on the red to yellow gradient, and each chapter divider page is printed in that color, with all the other pages edged with the same color border.

It's also thoughtfully designed, with guiding questions to help you at each stage of the process. This book is not a read-once-and-you're-done, it has all the steps to guide you from starting a

• An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management
  • Stubborn Attachments: A Vision for a Society of Free, Prosperous, and Responsible Individuals
  • Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It
  • Working in Public: The Making and Maintenance of Open Source Software
  • The Making of Prince of Persia: Journals 1985-1993--Illustrated Edition
  • The Art of Community: Seven Principles for Belonging
  • Turning the Flywheel: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • WTF?: What's the Future and Why It's Up to Us
  • The Practice: Shipping Creative Work
  • People Powered: How Communities Can Supercharge Your Business, Brand, and Teams
  • The Art of Doing Science and Engineering: Learning to Learn
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • The Revolt of the Public and the Crisis of Authority
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Thinking in Systems: A Primer
  • Incident Management for Operations

News & Interviews

“Amateurs try to manage a community, but great leaders create more leaders. Nearly every challenge of building a community can be met by asking yourself, “How do I achieve this by working with my people, not doing it for them?” In other words, approach community-building as progressive acts of collaboration—doing more with others every step of the way.” 1 likes
“To spark your community, you got people together and helped them start talking. Stay with it! The missing ingredient in many would-be communities is dedication. We put on one-off events or annual fundraisers, but we don’t give potential community members the chance to keep showing up or to raise their hands to take on responsibilities.” 0 likes