Start by marking “Not That Kind of Guy” as Want to Read:

Not That Kind of Guy

An office attraction becomes something more when they're off the clock in this delightful romantic comedy by the USA Today bestselling author of Not the Girl You Marry.

State attorney Bridget Nolan is successful in all aspects of her life--except romance. After breaking up with her longtime boyfriend, she's been slow to reenter the dating scene. To be honest, she has more
Expected publication: April 14th 2020 by Berkley

Availability: 100 copies available, 2900 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 24 - Feb 21, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Not That Kind of Guy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not That Kind of Guy

Start your review of Not That Kind of Guy
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I have complex feelings about this book. I loved it but some unnecessary dramatic parts really made me irritated!!!

The facts:

BETTER BOOK: This is definitely so so so much better than “Not the girl you marry” even though I’m a big fan of “How to lose a guy in 10 days” and curly hair of Matthew McConaughey but retelling didn’t work with me. We needed Kate and Matthew on the board!

BETTER CHARACTERS: I loved Bridget, tough, prideful, hard-worker, confidant, successful lawyer, but when it comes to
    Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
    Yayy I'm happy that I got an arc but I'm also happy that it's going to be released on my birthday <3 so hope it's good <3

description

Jessica *The Lovely Books*
    Someone pinch me! This was sooo good and the only thing I didn't like about it was that it ended. Bridget is my spirit animal even though we have nothing in common. She's the type of woman I wished I could be but always came up short. If we're being honest, I still come up short, but whatever! She's an amazing badass.

"Bridget Nolan had lush auburn hair, piercing gray-blue eyes, cut-glass cheekbones, and a voice that was better than a hand job."

Matt Kido. So, where could I find one like him? He's
    Kelly (and the Book Boar)
    Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I wanted to get my hands on Not That Kind of Guy the second I heard about it after my experience with Not the Girl You Marry. To say my expectations were high is a huge understatement . . . .

I didn’t bother reading the entire synopsis. I thought this was going to be a fake date trope since I was aware the jumping off point of the story was Bridget being an attorney and Matt being a summer clerk who somehow ended up as her date for
    Cat C
    Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: giveaways
    Thanks to Berkley and Goodreads for a chance to read an advance copy and provide an honest review.

Just FYI for expectation-setting, since I *did* see a lot of HOW TO LOSE A GUY IN 10 DAYS in NOT THE GIRL YOU MARRY: I keep hearing that this is modeled off THE PROPOSAL, but I just don't see it. THE PROPOSAL is a forced fake relationship (which sounds bad but I love this movie shhh), but here the main conceit is an office attraction that they hold off on until their professional relationship is
    Janye
    Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: romance, arcs
    While I was reading this I kept thinking about the movie The Proposal. Intern and boss get married and then fall in love. It wasnt until I saw a few reviews for this authors other works that I realized that is what she does. She takes rom coms and gives a little twist.

With that said, I liked this book, for the most part. The characters were wonderfully crafted. I like how Andie created the back story for each of the main characters.

I didnt prefer how the chapters change perspectives without
    natalie
    Cw: for mention of abortion. Heroine's ex throws this back in her face in front her family.

I don't know if it was my mood or what but this one didnt catch me like Hannah's book. I just felt like it was okay and I don't know why. all the tropey goodness was there! oops we got married in Vegas and now we gotta keep pretending we are actually married. BUT I just ofund myself skimming scenes to see how it all would end.

This is an interracial romance which i feel like i haven't really seen
    Dany
    Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 3-stars, romance
    Follows Bridget Nolan , Jack's sister from "Not the girl you marry"

The Proposal with a twist
    Lawyer - Intern
    Banter + Romance

I loved Bridget from the first book and I cannot express how much I loved the fact "Not that kind of Guy" follows Bridget!!!

But this book had the same issues I had with "Not the girl you marry". There was too many telling of emotions while it was obvious. I had to skip pages to get through the book.

Full review will be posted closer to the publishing date.

*I received the
    Crystal
    Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Matt Kido is going to be topping lists of best book boyfriends of 2020, because he is the ultimate best! Bridget is just what we need in a romance heroine-tough, but vulnerable, and able to hold her own in any situation (even if shes's freaking out inside). No one does movie gender flips in books like Andie, and I cannot wait to see what comes next from her awesome mind!
    Jan 22, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: e-arcs
    Paige Moreland
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Sarah Shellabarger
    3.5 stars | Workplace romances are my JAM so I was super excited to read Not That Kind of Guy and experience a different take on the trope. And while this definitely wasn't my all-time favorite, it was still a charming, easy, and enjoyable read! I wasn't aware of this going in, especially since I had never read from this author before, but apparently Christopher draws inspiration for her novels from popular rom-com movies. Looking back, this book definitely gave off slight The Proposal, What ...more
    Brigitte
    This isn't the type of book I would normally read, but I had rec'd an ARC and have to admit it was a cute concept and fun, light romance. Basically the protagonists are a lawyer (Bridget) who has been saddled with a wealthy law student intern (Matt) with a reputation of being a playboy, so she treats him fairly shabbily with grunt work only to grudgingly admit a physical attraction to him herself, which, of course, she stifles since she's his boss. Likewise, he is infatuated with her and can't ...more
    Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: giveaways
    I knew fairly quickly this was a miss for me. Early on I disliked the Bridget character and how she talked and acted. I didn’t buy her and the girl talk at all. Many of the female friends felt just like random people that just appear in the book sometimes. None of the females actually seem as powerful as the author wants us to think. Also, it felt like this whole wedding thing was just...there and an afterthought.

There was so much promise in a powerful woman lawyer and the intern. Bridget is
    Teresa
    Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Bridget Nolan and Matt Kido are as different as apples and oranges but isn't the saying opposites attract?! When Matt is assigned to be Bridget's summer intern at the state attorney office he falls in lust (possibly love) at first sight and he will do anything to impress her, anything. Bridget isn't blind, she notices that Matt is attractive but she doesn't want to date anyone...even the hot, smart intern that she can't stop thinking about. When Matt agrees to be Bridget's date for weekend in ...more
    Amy Lea
    Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
    I’ll be honest, I wasn’t a huge fan of Not That Kind of a Girl, simply because i felt it was too similar to How To Lose a guy in 10 days, in that I knew exactly what was going to happen. I wanted to read this one though because I liked the premise.

This one was modelled after the proposal, following Bridget, Jake’s sister. Bridget is an attorney who doesn’t have time for relationships. However, this stance is tested when she gets a new intern, Matt. The two find it hard to ignore their chemistry,
    Kimberly Kowalski
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    3.5 Stars

This was definitely on the more unique end of the scale as far as romance novels I've recently read. It was also nice to get two real sides of a story, not just romance but the growth and development of two individuals in and out of a relationship. I was hardcore rooting for this couple as the story progressed. While I definitely enjoyed this novel and would still recommend it, I doubt it's one I will reread anytime soon.

The long build up of a 'professional' relationship and growing
    Audrey
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: first-reads
    3.5 stars.

This was just damn delightful. Such a fun romcom and underneath the fluff, are insightful observations about relationships. Don’t let the cotton candy premise fool you. Bridget and Matt are such interesting and slightly broken characters, both finding their way as they approach their relationship from different backgrounds and where they are in life. The plot took some unexpected and welcome turns and we get more of Jack and Hannah (from the previous book). Will the next book feature
    Christy
    Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
    Not That Kind of Guy by Andi J. Christopher

I really liked the characters in this book. Bridget and Matt were both trying to get over long term relationships with partners who were safe and met their family’s expectations, but gave them no sparks, no tingles. They both wanted to change expectations and perceptions. An expected weekend in Vegas changes everything in a big way.

Romance, great dialog and family drama. I especially enjoyed Bridget and Matt’s “couple thing” of Matt trying to find a
    Christy
    Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Andie Christopher is now one of my auto-buy authors. I loved her last book, and this latest is also fantastic. You can read the synopsis elsewhere, so I won't bother with it here. What I particularly appreciate about Ms. Christopher is that the writing is terrific. She has a knack for writing funny, likeable characters and books that you just don't want to end. However, most impressive to me is that she also makes her characters feminist and unapologetic and you just want to live in their world. ...more
    Deanna Bailey
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I thought this book was better than her debut Not The Girl You Marry, which I really enjoyed. Think of this book similar to The Proposal.

I loved the tension and chemistry between Bridget and Matt, I loved how even though he has the money, connections and comes from a prominent family, she is an established career woman/ lawyer and he was the intern.

Trigger warning for discussion about abortion- if that's something you do not want to read in your romances. It is discussed in a good portion of
    KIMBERLY
    Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: giveaways
    I won an ARC of this book (thanks Berkley!). Bridget and Matt meet when Matt is Bridget's intern at the state attorney's office. When the internship ends, the pair head to Vegas and after drunken wedding, Bridget and Matt have to decide where their relationship goes from there. This was an entertaining rom com, with all of the usual rom com twists and hijinks. I appreciated the twists the author gave to The Proposal-like plot. The characters were likable and flawed. I enjoyed reading it and ...more
    Samantha Tan
    Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Incredibly delightful and sexy! We stan marriages of (in)convenience! I’ll admit that the pacing was uneven and Matt’s characterization was...weird. Maybe it just felt slightly inauthentic? Though the overbearing mother thing is EXTREMELY Asian, so I’ll give the rep a pass. I can’t speak for Japanese rep, only Asian American rep, so feel free to take my words with a grain of salt! Bridget’s characterization felt much deeper and fully formed.
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Not That Kind of Guy is the sort of book that makes you smile as you read it and despondent when it’s complete. Bridget is strong, yet relatable and Matt is perfect, yet flawed in all the right ways. The romance flows beautifully between the two main characters and the secondary characters add a nice touch of comedy to the plot. Highly recommend and looking forward to read other works from this author!
    Teresa Byrd
    Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I really liked this book. In particular because it could happen to anyone! I read it in a short amount of time because I truly wanted to see what she/he did next. I recommend this book for those who really like contemporary romance. It's a great read! The only thing I didn't like is that I spilled tea on my ADC and now it doesn't look perfect!
    Csimplot Simplot
    Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Excellent book!!!
    Doris Raines
    Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
    WHAT HAPPENS IN THE OFFICE STAYS IN THE OFFICE THIS IS A NICE BOOK.
    Kristen
    Jan 30, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    arc received in exchange for honest review
    Tamara
    Review to come.

Quick thoughts:

Cute and fun book.

Loved the humor!
    Amanda
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Cute story. Quick read. I like the mixing of the stereotypical roles. Gives it a different feel to similar story.

• Beach Read
    • The Worst Best Man
    • The Happy Ever After Playlist
    • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
    • Girl Gone Viral (Modern Love, #2)
    • Bad Bachelor (Bad Bachelors, #1)
    • Tweet Cute
    • You Deserve Each Other
    • Would Like to Meet
    • The Honey-Don't List
    • In Five Years
    • Love Lettering
    • Something to Talk About
    • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
    • Blitzed (Playbook, #3)
    • In the Unlikely Event
    • From Alaska With Love
    • Bad Reputation (Bad Bachelors, #2)