Start by marking “Dark Justice (The Last Ward, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Justice (The Last Ward, #1)

Dark Justice

(The Last Ward #1)

Driven to kill. Compelled to protect.

Five hundred years ago, the cure for the common cold went horribly wrong, turning those infected into freaks consumed with hate and rage. Forced underground, the freaks return above ground at night, driven to attack the surface dwellers – their bite infecting thousands more.

To fight the freaks and protect mankind from extinction, scient
Published September 10th 2019 by Odyssey Books

To ask other readers questions about Dark Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Justice

Start your review of Dark Justice (The Last Ward, #1)
Elizabeth
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action, urban-fantasy
This new novel by Shelley Nolan perfectly delivers on its foreboding title. Jackson Kyle’s in trouble. Once a powerful warden, he is now a rage-driven freak with a murderous blood lust. Soon the wardens be forced to act on their pledge, 'No warden shall suffer a freak to live.’

Things get even more interesting when he crosses path with Justice, who has been marked by Gaea as the one to cast judgement on mankind in a few day's time. Justice has been hunted all her life and each of her bodyguards h
Valerie Roberson
This was really good! The Freaks are on the same line as zombies and that really made the story. Becoming freaks from a virus, it reminded me of the Coronavirus that is spreading today. It’s a pandemic and the virus spreads easily just that we aren’t turning into freaks. No cure in sight and no vaccine all you can do is hope the Wardens take care of them.
Jackson Kyle is/was the head warden until he was bitten. Trying to hold on to his humanity the best he can. He meets Justice and they have a
Dannielle Line
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Infected Warden, Jackson Kyle, wants nothing more than to tear humanity limb from limb until he grabs hold of a mysterious woman’s arm. Now all he wants to do is keep her safe even if it means the end of his pitiful existence. But he doesn’t care for her, not really. That’s not what freaks do.

On the run her entire life, Justice knows within a few short days, a cataclysmic event will change the lives of everyone – human, ward, half-breed and freak alike. Soon she will be at her most vulnerable, b
Maddie
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars - rounded up to 4 stars!

Thank you to Odyssey Books for kindly providing me with an electronic copy of Dark Justice by Shelley Russell Nolan, in exchange for an honest review

"All her life, Justice had been plagued with visions of the future if she failed in her purpose. Nightmares would become a reality in a world where every living being learned the true meaning of terror."

Summary

In the first book of this sci-fi/fantasy series, we find the the world divided into humans, wardens, h
Rebecca Heap
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is set in an imaginary future where a virus has turned a lot of humanity into murderous "freaks". Genetically enhanced human beings called wardens have been created to combat these freaks but ordinary humans are still in charge. Things take an interesting turn when one of the wardens is infected by a freak and yet retains his ability to reason. What I like about this book is that, despite the conventional zombie/virus premise, there are are a lot of unusual themes thrown in such as unf ...more
Flora
Shelley Russell Nolan is a new-to-me author and I must admit to being a bit apprehensive accepting this eBook, as science fiction and dystopian themes aren’t my usual genre but I really enjoyed this story.

I liked Ms Nolan’s writing style; the prose was intelligent, beautifully crafted but easy to read. I felt completely transported into every scene.

The futuristic world she has created for this series, although set in the future, was far from fantastical; it felt believable (if not a little terr
Cassie Laelyn
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this fresh twist on "zombies" (a.k.a freaks). The world building was fantastic, and a little frightening because of how believable it was. Although initially I found it difficult to get into the headspace of multiple point of views, I grew to love them. Reading the story from every different angle became exciting and kept the pace flying along. A great read for any science fiction/dystopian lover!
Michelle Saftich
I really enjoyed this fast-paced and action packed novel. It allowed me to escape the pressures of my day to day reality, taking me into the world of freaks, humans, half breeds and wardens, that the author Shelly Russell Nolan had imagined and brought to life in her novel, Dark Justice. I particularly liked Jackson Kyle, a former Ward Captain. After being afflicted by a virus and then having a bond imposed on him, he is at odds with his own compulsions to both kill and protect. Struggling with ...more
Tessa (Talks Books)
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark Justice is an original SFF story based on the timeless theme of the power of love. With well-developed characters and an equally well-developed plot, the plight of the human condition is resounding and intense. Almost to the very end, you will wonder which way Justice will go, as the humans in this story are not sympathetic characters at all. The only things that I wish for the story are that the world building had been more developed and that the character of Miranda had been a touch less ...more
Lauryn Jacqueline
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now that I've finally finished this, W O W ! I normally don't read books such as this but it was definitely a good one! I loved it all! It was wonderful written. Not what I expected at all but sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zones :)!
Chloe 'hichlochu'
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"my purpose. Judge, jury, executioner.”

I will honestly admit, with my right hand in the air and balancing on three toes, that I do not read Sci-fi often. Its not that I do not enjoy it, I just prefer a world full of magic and myths, to one of technology and space. So, when the request came across to our inbox, I could not help being drawn in by the originality and creativity of the blurb. The writing style of the book was simplistic and made for fast reading. Though at times this meant you were
Michelle
Susie
added it
Apr 02, 2020

• The Attraction
  • Spark City (Spark City Cycle, #1)
  • The Country Escape: An uplifting, funny, romantic read for 2020
  • The Substitute Bride
  • The World Breaks Everyone
  • The Ruby Locket
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • The Threat Below (Brathius History, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • Dei sju dørene
  • Unforgotten (The Fallen Guardians, #2)
  • A Summer to Remember in Herring Bay

Shelley Russell Nolan is an avid reader who began writing her own stories at sixteen. Her first completed manuscript featured brain eating aliens and a butt kicking teenage heroine. Since then she has spent her time creating fantasy worlds where death is only the beginning and even freaks can fall in love.
The first two books in her debut adult urban fantasy series, Lost Reaper and Winged Reaper,

News & Interviews