Start by marking “Everybody Smokes In Hell” as Want to Read:
Everybody Smokes In Hell

Everybody Smokes In Hell

Hollywood nights are for people with name tags. Call them employees. Losers. Or call them Paris Scott. He microwaves hot dogs at a twenty-four-hour convenience store. His girlfriend just dumped him. And everyone is working his last nerve. Until a surprise encounter with a bum leads to a Bel Air mansion, a dead rock star's last gasp on tape, and a chance for Paris to flirt ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Ballantine Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Everybody Smokes In Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everybody Smokes In Hell

Start your review of Everybody Smokes In Hell
John
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Everybody Smokes in Hell" is "A Hero of Our Time" for OUR Time. The best brief review of this book would need only to plagiarize a few words from Lermontov:

This, "my dear readers... is a portrait built up of all our generation's vices in full bloom."

"Everybody Smokes..." is a distillation of the essence of downward spiraling America into concentrate form. The characters here are pathetic losers at best and psychopathic criminals at worst, regardless of station in life. The plot is one foul up
Lauren Stoolfire
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, mystery, noir, thriller
If you enjoy classic hard-boiled crime fiction and film noir, you'll probably enjoy Everybody Smokes in Hell by John Ridley. It's a very visual, gritty nineties noir with a dark sense of humor, wicked ultra-violence, and dialogue that just scream off the page.
Matt
Jul 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Considering my summer has been filled with books about seedy characters groping their way through harsh underbellies (usually of LA), imagine my surprise when this one grabbed me about 30 pages in and didn't let go until I finished the next 200 within 24 hours. Fast, dirty, and wrong in all the right ways.
Zellain Dystopia
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
I really enjoyed this book. It's dark, the language is interesting and it's certainly not for everyone. If you like tragedies and books where nothing is resolved and life just goes on, more messed up than before, you might like this one.
B.
May 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
The book reads like a screenplay, which makes it difficult to follow at times, though considering the author's primary vocation, this should come as no surprise. Additionally, there's a huge disparity between this book and Ridley's others, making it easy to see that this was one of his earlier efforts. That being said, the problem I have with this book is the latent racism and prejudice that constantly rears its head. It's not something I would want my kids reading or something that I would want ...more
Matthew
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy Shit! This book was beyond fantastic, the writing style was both humorous and grotesque at the same time, lacking in neither. Wickedly entertaining to read, you cannot put this sucker down. It was as if I was reading Grand Theft Auto: The Novel... Read this book if you want to experience the degenerate livelihood of the inhabitants of Los Angeles.
Chris
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to give this more stars because it starts off really well but it gets a little convoluted in the middle and the characters seem kind of one dimensional. Still very entertaining and decently written regardless.
Sarmīte
Interesanta grāmata, varbūt pelnījusi vairāk zvaigžņu, mana vaina - šī ir no grāmatām, kas jālasa ātri, jo sižets savērpts no tik daudziem pavedieniem, ka kādu var arī aizmirst:) Atsevišķs bonuss par autora krāšņajiem epitetiem, lai gan šķiet, ka grāmatas beigās tie aptrūkās:)
Frederick
Everybody Smokes In Hell by John Ridley Everybody Smokes In Hell by John Ridley - This was a pretty good book. I liked the story. It falls right in line with the type of dark and twisted humor I like in a decent mystery. I guess that is what you would call this book - a mystery - more or less anyway. I'd been wanting to read some John Ridley for awhile now. I've got a few of his books and I chose this one to read first. I had already seen the film U-Turn, a damn good flick, which is an adaptation of his book Stray Dogs. So, I was ...more
steph
Sep 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people looking for a quick, light read
Shelves: two-snaps-up
funny, witty, and very sarcastic, but the plot seems contrived. protagonist is wishy-washy, like holden caulfield. seems to just go with the flow instead of intelligently thinking about how to extricate himself from the ridiculous in which situations he finds himself. or rather, in which he puts himself.
if you're looking for some easy reading for a long trip, a vacation, or just some brainless reading, this could be it. not so brainless that it insults your intelligence, but not so convoluted
Mark
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
You can tell the author is a screen writer and is working outside his usual genre. Many chapters are very short (1-2 pages), and you can tell that he is used to writing scenes. The book is pretty violent, and when you reach the end, you can easily picture the scene freezing, going black and credits rolling. Not even close to the greatest book I ever read, but it was entertaining. I use "entertaining" very loosely here.
Jenine Young
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-on-tape, fiction
The characters and language made me very uncomfortable at times. They were stereotypes (black people who were involved in gangs and drug feuds, white girls who were abused as children and turned into prostitutes because of their broken homes, Mexican girl who ekes through life in a dinner.)
The plot was silly but I enjoyed how the characters different plot lines wove together towards the end.
Overall it was violent, crass, and very focused on sex.
Kamil Antczak
Feb 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english
This book is about a store clerk who happens to come across a homeless looking person and helps him out? the store clerk ends up talking him home, to a rich house in beverly hills which he doesnt expect.

Pg(54) the homeless person ends up being a rich rocker and dies at his house b/c he claims hes lived he life/ dream. His inheritance was left on tape next to him and stated(who ever here this first gets everything)so the store clerk got everything? 3/18/10
Chilly SavageMelon
Feb 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crime-thriller
Garbage. Waffer thin characters trapped in an "ironic", shitty, racist and violent world. Trash pulp writers like Ridley are those who show up to crash the party once Tarrantino has made the guest list-
Zach
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kind of dark and seedy with flashes of very dark humor (mostly from the hitman/hit person). The ending seemed rushed and was disappointing. You felt like it was heading toward this big finish and it kind of just ends and will not be completely satisfying for some readers.
Shawn Cosby
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
a modern noir with a comic twist.. I love this book.. and the hitwoman is one of the scariest villains I ever encountered
Erin
Feb 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
for some reason, I thought this was going to be funny.
Lauren Donnell
Mar 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Russell- I still can't believe that you liked this book that much! We have Jeff Glover to thank for it.
Curt
Dec 03, 2007 rated it it was ok
I found the constant liberties John Ridley took with the English language irritating in this book. It would have been better if he focused on writing well rather than on creating a writing style.
Benjamin Siess
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great dialogue. Pulp Fiction-esque. The ebonics seem forced at times, but I don't really know how ebonics in literature couldn't seem forced. I'm looking forward to reading more Ridley.
Davide
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pulp fiction rivisited: wicked, funny, violent and not to be taken seriously. A very enjoyable read.
Lori
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Peep Show: The Scripts and More
  • Lovecraft Country
  • Baal
  • La terre des vampires, tome 1: Exode (La terre des vampires, #1)
  • All-Star Superman, Vol. 2
  • Star Trek: Harlan Ellison's The City on the Edge of Forever: The Original Teleplay
  • The Hypernaturals (Hypernaturals, #1)
  • Only the Rain
  • The Terminator: The Enemy Within
  • Eaters
  • The Road to Nowhere
  • The Invisibles Book One Deluxe Edition (The Invisibles Deluxe Edition, #1)
  • The Things We Wish Were True
  • Animosity Hardcover Year One
  • Factotum
  • Batman and the Outsiders Vol. 2
  • Repo Madness (Ruddy McCann #2)
  • The Return: Fathers, Sons, and the Land in Between
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
This profile may contain books from multiple authors of this name.