Start by marking “Once in a Black Moon” as Want to Read:
Once in a Black Moon

Once in a Black Moon

Chicago journalist Erin Nichols isn't about to give up when she's fired for writing an expose. But when a combination of murder, magic, and celestial events transports her through time and space to 1900 western Canada, city hall corruption becomes the least of her worries.

But the past isn't any safer. Awaking to learn she may be the victim of some unknown crime, Erin takes
Published March 3rd 2020 by Ink & Magick

To ask other readers questions about Once in a Black Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once in a Black Moon

Start your review of Once in a Black Moon
Jantine
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
I received a free copy through Netgalley in return for an honest review.

While the book was fast-paced, and I like that, it revolved too much around sexy feelings and a love triangle. It's a shame, for romance can be so much more than that, especially when combined with fantasy!
wonderfullyweird88
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fae, fantasy, timetravel
This book started out well, the time travel was entertaining, and the premise was excellent but somewhere along the way it just got messy. The introduction of Mitica ruined an otherwise fun read. The story didn't flow after that and I began to lose interest. This had all the right elements, but it was poorly executed.  I would give this a miss.

I received an arc of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Beth
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Erin, a young journalist in Chicago in 2016 is about to uncover a scandal involving the mayor is pushed in front of an incoming train. Instead of dying she awakens in a Canadian Mounty barracks in Alberta, Canada and has time travelled back to 1900. She encounters magic, fae and a dragon. There is also treachery and murder at the nearby Native American reservation and some strange goings on at a local hotel. She and a handsome Canadian Mounty, Wynn, work together to uncover what is going on and ...more
Estella Hagin
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book takes the reader on quite a journey. The story starts in 2016 with a young woman who is a journalist. She is someone who is passionate about her story, and will fight to get it published. This same desire is one that causes an accident to happen. She then wakes up in the 1900s and she is in Canada. She was rescued by a Canadian Mounty. The journey that she goes on with the mounty is one of adventure, crime, romance and mystic.

When she meets the Romanian Mystic, who actually saved her,
Nicole Laverdure
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh! How I loved this story!

This is the first time that I read a book by D.Lieber and it won't be my last one. I really loved 'Once in a Black Moon' starring Erin Nichols a Chicago journalist. This is a time travel suspense which takes her heroine from present time to 1900 in Alberta, Canada. The French translation of some words was perfect. I mention this detail, because it is not always the case. I love time travel story, and this one didn't disappointed me! The hero is named Wynn 'Delaforet',
Jamie Jack
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Complex, Fun Read

This author has a lot of elements in this book: time travel, the fae, a dragon, magic, romance, and suspense. I might be forgetting a few! For a book with so many parts to it, I found it was very well done. The action flowed at a believable pace despite what could theoretically have been unbelievable elements. When our heroine is thrust back into 1900 Canada, we can see and appreciate her confusion—as well as the confusion of the mountie who rescued her. I especially adored the
Donise
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Journalist Erin Nichols' story doesn't truly begin until she is fired from her job and then on her way home she is pushed in front of a subway train and "dies". Erin wakes up in 1900 in the care of a Canadian Mountie who claims to have found her half dressed and half dead in the forest. Erin eventually learns that she is in a reincarnation. She can remember who she was in the future, but not who she is in the past. Wynn, the Mountie and Mitiica, the fae both took a part in rescuing her and soon ...more
Emily Pennington
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Chicago journalist Erin Nichols has an accident in 2016 and wakes up in 1900 in Canada, being cared for by a Canadian Mountie named Wynn. Wynn and Mitica, a Romanian fae had both helped in her rescue and Erin is attracted to them. When they awake feelings in her she has never experienced before, she is not sure where she really belongs.

This book offers quite a few different aspects of a supernatural story in an interesting combination. We are presented with time travel, magic, a dragon, a Roman
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
A young woman is on her way home from work after she is fired. Erin is a journalist who reports the truth and it looks like someone doesn’t want that truth to come out.

Erin takes the train home but before she is able to board the train she is pushed in front of it and the next thing she knows she wakes up in the past in 1900.

Someone pushed her in front of that train but who and why? Who wants her dead? Why would anybody want to kill her? Does it have anything to do with her being fired? Did Eri
Karen Cavalli
Feb 08, 2021 rated it liked it
Gotta love a courteous, fit Mountie who saves a heroine who has been pushed onto a train track in current-day Chicago but ends up barely alive in the Canadian woods in the early 1900s. Time travel, fairy folk, tribal legends and Romanian other-worldly beings are all here in this fantasy romance. The book is rich with detail, much of it factual (or so it seemed to me) about that time in Canadian history. The wealth of fantasy elements made it difficult for me to settle into the narrative. Too, th ...more
Liberty Ireland Historical Graffiti
What do you get when you combine the First Nations (Native Americans), time travel, murder, magic, and mayhem and add them to romance and a dragon? Once in a Black Moon, of course! A busy and well-written book, it takes place in 2016 Chicago Illinois and 1900 Alberta Canada. The author did a good job researching the First Nations and her characters were interesting and unique. I'd have liked the chance to get to know the characters better but overall, it was a book I'd recommend to time travel l ...more
C. Gonzales
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, fantasy
One of the most important things for me in a book like this is how effectively the author manages to differentiate between the times and how authentic they feel. I think D. Lieber has really managed to create a story that does both of these things exceedingly well. I loved the time-travel aspect and how much that brought to the story.

The characters were a very close second to my favorites things about this book. I loved them so much and I loved them both individually and together. I enjoyed thei
Gina Stamper
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am so in love with everything about this novel, I love the world that D. Lieber has created for us.
This one is not only full of action, it’s got plenty of emotional elements as well. It will tug at your heartstrings at times and make you root for the characters til the very end.

These characters each have their own personalities and depth to them. None of them felt one-dimensional or forced, they all shined through as individuals.

A Wonderful Paranormal Romance that I can’t get enough of.
Becky
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow! Beautiful story with a happily ever after. I love this time traveling romance/mystery. It was beautifully written and a delight to read. The lead character, Erin Nichols, is strong and determined. You can't help but cheer her on as she struggles to make sense of everything around her. I would definitely recommend this book, and I can't wait to read more from the author. :)

"I was given this free review copy book at my request and have voluntarily left this review."
Ever Leigh
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful read! I loved Erin as a lead from the very beginning. I loved her backstory and who she was throughout the book. She was fun to follow and I felt connected to her.

Such a unique and whimsical world D. Lieber managed to transport us to. I loved the way her vision came through the pages.

This story has so many great elements and I think everything comes together seamlessly. It's a wild ride!
Heather W
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Once in a Black Moon is a great time travel romance.

This story is enjoyable and has magic, murder, mystery, time travel, romance, and a dragon. The characters are interesting and intelligent. The storyline is well written and is set in 2016 Chicago and 1900 Farrloch, Alberta. There is a lot of interesting information about the history of the First Nations.

I would like to read more books by this author.
I read and reviewed this book with no obligation.
Scarolet Ellis
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once in a Black Moon by D. Lieber is a great story to read. I really enjoyed reading this story very much and can not wait to see what else this great author will write about next. I recommend this story to everyone who likes to read about fantasy and paranormal romance.

Melissa
May 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I am not a huge fan of romance novels although I do like books with time travel.

This book didn't capture my interest. I found the main character trite and the plot fairly predictable.

I received an advance copy of this book. I am leaving my honest opinion.
Karissa Christensen
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. It was so well written and so thrilling. This author puts so much description in the writing, as a reader, I can picture the story as if I’m standing right next to the characters. A thrilling love story with time travel, magic and true love.
Laura Lassiter
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have to say I love this author, I have read everyone of her books that I can get my hands on. Each world is unique and you can tell the author researches the topics of her books. I love how you can relate to the main character, I never saw the plots twists coming. I look forward to a sequel.
Kathryn
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This had a great fast pace that really kept the story moving. The world building is compelling and well detailed. I really enjoyed this thrilling and well written story. This is a romance filled with magic, time travel and a very unique world.

I am voluntarily leaving an unbiased, honest review.
Dawn Milligan
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read! This story is well thought out and has great characters I loved the take on time travel and enjoyed the journey! Great job!
Jax Quenault
Dec 28, 2020 rated it liked it
e-ARC provided by Netgalley
Heather Bennett
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a very nice time travel romance, the story was engaging with well written and likable characters!!
Amy Gulotta
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, did I love this book!! I've been lucky to read nearly all of the author's books, and this one is by far my favorite. Between the time travel elements, the deliciously done romance, the sense of place (it really feels like the author did their research), and the plot twists that I didn't see coming, this one was an exhilarating read. And I loved how it ended, and how well everything was tied up. Would definitely recommend this one for fans of romance and magic! ...more
Kenzie Mills
rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2021
Paris Girl
Dec 26, 2019
D.
Dec 27, 2019 marked it as books-i-ve-written  ·  (Review from the author)
Anne
Annette Prejean
Linda

• El Gringo
  • Of Literature and Lattes
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • Opal (The Raven Cycle, #4.5)
  • House of Seven Spirits
  • Mayhem
  • The Poor and the Haunted
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • The Signal-Man / To be read at dusk
  • Growing Nightmares and Dreams: A Collection of 10 Short Stories
  • Dawn of the Deadly Fang (Lycanthrope Trilogy, #2)
  • The Victorians: From Empire and Industry to Poverty and Famine
  • Awakening (Legion, #3)
  • Ballistics
  • Mageborn (The Hollow King, #1)
  • American Daughter: A Memoir
  • Please See Us
D. Lieber is an urban fantasy and sci-fi author with a wanderlust that would make a butterfly envious. When she isn’t planning her next physical adventure, she’s recklessly jumping from one fictional world to another. Her love of reading led her to earn a Bachelor’s in English from Wright State University.

Beyond her skeptic and slightly pessimistic mind, Lieber wants to believe. She has been many

News & Interviews