Start by marking “The Burnout Generation” as Want to Read:
The Burnout Generation

The Burnout Generation

Audible Audio
Published March 10th 2019 by Audible Original

To ask other readers questions about The Burnout Generation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burnout Generation

Start your review of The Burnout Generation
Anniken Haga
What's up with this book constantly being deleted! Super frustrating!
Lauren Woods
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
This isn't a book, it's a lazy blog post. The author confuses having a couple dozen anecdotes about young people working too hard as proof of an entire generation's status. I don't think there was a single piece of research in the entire book, and at no point did she make a compelling case that the circumstances of the millennial generation is significantly harder or somehow more dramatic than that faced by others. (My favorite moment was when she made the point that work is bleeding into off ...more
Kirby
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super relatable. I was engaged in the interviews and liked the interview format for this particular subject matter. Could have been edited 1 more time. There was one interview where the interviewee repeated the same line several times as if they were trying to get the best take but then never went back and edited out the repeated line.

As an "elder millennial" (I'm 36 years old and was born in 1983, so I'm technically a "millennial," whether I feel like one or not.), I found the topic of burnout
Derek Gillespie
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lost-interest
Once it got to the first interview I thought "Oh no, I don't want to listen to a podcast!" No wonder this "book" was offered for free by Audible. I can see how people would enjoy this but it should really be headlined: Millennials In Shock that Being an Adult is no Picnic and Continually Wonder when Said Picnic Will Begin!
Shannon A
Jan 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
I previously reviewed this before one of the GR librarians went on an Audible Originals deleting spree and deemed this as one of the "NOT A BOOK" options that had to go. I don't remember what I wrote but I didn't C&P it anywhere else. This one just wasn't worth the time for me and I was glad that I got it for free because I would have been upset if I had to pay for that lost time.
Bruno Sánchez-Andrade
It's OK. Could have been a blog post or a podcast.
Keith
Dec 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: psychology, audible, free
Select a group of people with anxiety in their lives because they have chosen to take on large amounts of student debt for careers that do not pay well. Then talk about how unfair, hard-working, and deserving they are. Finally, wallow in why life is unfair, and then draw no conclusion.
Robin
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am a millennial who works in both arts and the nonprofit sector. I've been suffering from burnout for a really long time. I think the most I've struggled with about it is feeling like I should just buck up and get over it because I theoretically speaking have nothing to be struggling with. Hearing a variety of stories from people of similar and different backgrounds, and hearing the same kind of responses was really interesting. I also appreciated hearing how burning out was not really an ...more
Kekely
Would you like to hear about how difficult life is for millennials through the eyes of people who are detached? Do you want to hear about recycled statements about self-care from people in high income brackets? Do you want to listen to stories about "turning off" work at the end of the day from people who have the privilege to do so?

To me, there was little to nothing that felt substantial about what it feels to truly be burned out. There was an occasional hint of something, particularly when the
Cara
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A collection of interviews that helps you understand what you already know.

I rated this 5 stars mostly because I think every millennial in college or beyond can relate in some way. It was more of a podcast type listen which made the time fly by while listening.

If you want a short listen that won’t tell you anything you don’t already know but helps you understand that you’re not the only one, I highly recommend.

(Also seemed personal being a veteran going back to college in my mid 20’s *in
Sher (in H-Town)
Feb 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Got free on audible. NOT a book... maybe not even a podcast. More like a whiney blog post that someone read into a mike.

Superfluous and entitled subject performed by a voice that sounded like something between a valley girl and text speak.

Little to no researched material formed the basis. I felt like I was listening to a bad report given by a college freshman who was trying way too hard to get a grade for something they had written after $1 beer happy hour.

Pointless. Please audible stop putting
Justin Orten
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting. Shines a light on a real problem that millinnials face today that didn't exist in the same way for previous generations. However it offers no hint of a solution leaving you feeling educated but hopelessly enslaved to the whims of the machine.
Mara
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook-owned, audio
Very relatable-- I enjoyed hearing from different kinds of voices who are all struggling with the new economic realities of our generation
Harold Poston
Jan 18, 2020 rated it did not like it
Cry me a river.
Adriana
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was really relatable and eye opener. I’m pretty sure I’ve burn out from studying for university and haven’t realize it until now. ...more
Rossy Kabir
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Important topic and a good start. Looking forward to more data and some suggestions
LeeTravelGoddess
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Perhaps we do not know that this is a thing— wow! I loved the fact that she brought in a sect of actual DIFFERENT PEOPLE. Everyone has a story but not no everyone’s story is heard.
Kayla
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a relevant and reassuring piece. It’s such a validation while giving hope for moving forward. I look forward to the entire book once it’s complete!
Eilis
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Definitely not without merit, but it doesn’t go into the subject in much depth, either.
Travis
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
The (audio) book was very easy to relate to. The interview style was not what I was expecting. I don't think that burnout is unique to the millennial generation. There wasn't anything that was useful or practical to help stave off burnout. I don't see myself revisiting this book.
The Lexington Bookie
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-tlb
Following up her January 2019 Buzzfeed article, Petersen delved into what she has dubbed millennial burnout- a phenomenon that describes the feeling of being overwhelmed by “always on” behavior and under high pressure/ low reward expectations. Petersen described how she felt as if she should always be working, doing, creating… and yet sometimes even the simplest tasks would fall to the wayside because she struggled to unfreeze from the paralysis of having to actually do them. And before you ...more
Andrew McKee
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Interesting idea, but the author doesn't work hard enough to flesh out the thesis and/or, despite her PhD, apply scientific rigor to her findings. The book only skims the surface, giving the reader the impression that burnout is a phenomenon in and of itself, and/or that she is just writing this in response to her popular BuzzFeed article, instead of one symptom of likely larger underlying problems: childhood trauma, pressure cooker college admissions prep, student debt (which the author does ...more
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
“I was looking for a job and then I found a job/And Heaven knows I’m miserable now...” The Smiths’ lyrics were ringing in my head as I was ingesting this piece. An unintentional soundtrack to our working lives at present?

Burnout is a multi-generational issue that’s been present for Gen Xers like myself long before Millennials claimed it on whatever app/emoji being used at present. And I’m certain my parents would say the same thing, as the economy was tanking in the 1970s just as they were
Will Harrison
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
I really enjoyed this collection of stories from millennials speaking their truths about the socioeconomic difficulties they're finding themselves in in modern-day America. The anecdotes are powerful; I wish there were more of them. A wide array of stories from different backgrounds are included & that makes this a good cross-section of studies that help to craft a macrocosmic scope of what's going on. If there were more stories then we'd have an even better scope.

I wish that there was a
S.E. Gregory
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a fantastic study/documentary on the struggles of the millennial generation. Our parents generations don't understand us, they see us as growing up in a word of privilege and entitlement, when most of us are working more than one job to pay off mountains of student debt, or credit card debt (because we were never taught to manage money). It also discusses in brief how the job market has changed. Everyone wants the perfect candidate with the education and loads of experience which is ...more
Neelam Babul
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
I got this book as part of the Audible Original Series.

It presented an interesting perspective on burnout that has become a major problem today among Millenials and the youth. It highlights the problems that millinnials face today that didn't exist in the previous generations. Through a series of interviews with four individuals working in diverse industries, the author relays the existence of burnout and how it affected the lives of the interviewees.

However, my only critic is centred around
Kayla
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting concept diving more into what "burnout" really is. I appreciated the range of interviews from millennials in the midwest experiencing burnout, to the south, to NYC, and in jobs from social work to ministry. It would have been nice to have a few more examples and interviews as this was a really short production.

At the end, we heard a few tips about how to combat it, but it would have been helpful to explore that in more detail. None of the suggestions were surprising or all that
Andreea
Jan 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
2 min later edit (Please see original review below). I changed my mind. There's no research done in this book, how can I rate it 2 stars? It's more like 1.5 because I did not really hate it. More like, I couldn't really care for its existence.

----
Original reviewI mean, it's not bad. But as with most non-fiction on this topic or similar topics, it just doesn't have any substance. What even is burnout? The people interviewed here are burned out from simply going to work and, honestly, everyone
Chris Esposo
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
A short Audible freebie on Millennial burnout structured with a mix of short-term synthesis/narration from the author and edited interviews with her subject matters (millennial professionals who experience burnout). The author talks to a former Marine-turned-social worker, a Miami of Ohio grad who accumulated 90k of loans, and the author herself is an over-educated PhD working in social media at Buzzfeed.

Very similar stories people have heard over the years on career/life/job anxiety about
Tiffiny
As a GenXer I could relate to most of the stories shared, from student loan debt that never seems to go away, to trying to keep steady work as a freelancer, while supporting a family, and the worry and responsibilities that come with having children and aging parents.

While she offers no definite solution to burnout, I found that knowing I’m not alone is comforting, that others are struggling with similar challenges as I am. And the suggestions made to manage burnout were things I’ve tried
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Carnival Row: Tangle in the Dark
  • The Fullness of Time
  • Find Another Dream
  • Caffeine: How Caffeine Created the Modern World
  • Knuffle Bunny Free: An Unexpected Diversion (Knuffle Bunny, #3)
  • The Minuteman
  • The Fate of Fausto
  • The Seventh Voyage: Star Diaries
  • The Way She Spoke
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
Anne Helen Petersen has an actual Ph.D. in celebrity gossip and writes longform pieces for BuzzFeed.