Start by marking “Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts (Steampunk Proper Romance #4)” as Want to Read:
Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts (Steampunk Proper Romance #4)

Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts

(Steampunk Proper Romance #4)

A steampunk retelling of Cinderella.

Emmeline O’Shea is determined to save the world—single-handedly, if necessary. A strong voice for societal reform, she is the natural choice to deliver a key speech at the end of the International Shifter Rights Organization’s week-long Summit in Scotland.

Published October 6th 2020 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts, please sign up.
C. D'Arc In short: Yes, you can read this on its own. Will you understand and enjoy it better with the first three books? Definitely.
In long: This story takes …more
In long: This story takes place in a specific version of our world with steampunk technology (that can also create humanistic robots) and paranormal (with vampires and various shapeshifters). As long as you can wrap your head around those aspects, you'll be fine.
Yes, all of the main characters from the previous three books are referenced and seen (especially those from book 2 since Emme and Isla are cousins), but they aren't key players to the story.(less)

Start your review of Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts (Steampunk Proper Romance #4)
PamG
BRASS CARRIAGES AND GLASS HEARTS by Nancy Campbell Allen is the fourth book in the Steampunk Proper Romance series. This is the first book that I have read in this genre and by this author, but it certainly will not be my last. Each book in this series has a steampunk version of a retelling of a fairy tale. In this case it is loosely based around the story of Cinderella. It is set in a world with steam-driven carriages and airships as well as shifters, vampires and humans.

Emmeline O’Shea wants t
Julie Carpenter
Years ago, before I even knew what Steampunk was, I stumbled across a book. It looked interesting. It was about Sherlock Holmes' niece and Bram Stoker's sister. Both of those literary male figures were ones that I really enjoyed. So I took a chance and picked up the book. I didn't know when I checked it out from the library that it was Steampunk. So you can imagine my surprise to diving into this new series and reading about the main character discussing her outfits and adding cogs and sprockets ...more
Melissa
I have really loved all of these books. I like the intensity of the emotions and how Allen writes them. This book was good and was a good addition to the series. I knew these two would get together and am so happy it worked out so well. They are perfect for each other. Allen always puts a lot of thought into her characters. The book is always well done around them. Both were heroes:} These are always fast paced and fun to read. Not a book I put down. The book did have a bit of a weird flow issue ...more
Linden
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Emme is an advocate for the shifter community in this steampunk novel set in London. Someone is sending her threatening letters, and she is assigned a handsome detective, Oliver Reed, to be her bodyguard. Her mother has remarried, her stepfather is insufferable, and one of his two daughters is manipulative and hostile to Emme. Vampires and shifters abound, and Emme must ascertain which of them means her harm if, indeed, it is the shifters who are the true villains. This book was called a “steamp ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I've been reading this series from the beginning and it's been so fun. Steampunk allows for elements that other book genres don't have so it feels unique and different. This series also has some paranormal elements with people known as "shifters". This book and this series always feel like a breath of fresh air and a good change up from the regular genres I read.

Emme is a strong voice for shifter rights and she definitely makes her voice heard which earns her some nasty enemies. Oliver and Emme
Lucinda
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've read all the books in the series and I think this is my favorite so far. Maybe because, by now, I know the world and what to expect from it. I enjoyed the appearances of the characters from the other books and how they had a role in this story.

When the story starts, we see how Emme and Oliver's relationship with each other has been so far: he's a detective, she's an advocate for the shapeshifter community, and their work and beliefs are at odds. Or so it seems.

Even as Oliver carts Emme aw
Mara
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I love this series. It's the only steampunk I read and I've looked forward to each new book. Not only is this a steampunk retelling of Cinderella but it's also an enemies to lovers story which I really like. Emmeline is Isla's cousin and they're friends with Hazel so we've seen Emmeline in the other books.

Emme is a passionate spokesperson for the shifter community. Working hard to get the laws that are prejudiced against them changed. She's had several run ins with Detective-Inspector Oliver Ree
Julie
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting for Nancy Campbell Allen's new steampunk romance, Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts and was not disappointed. I love this world she's built and the characters in it kept me glued to the pages!

This is Emmeline O'Shea's story and Emme is a woman to be reckoned with. She is an activist for Shifter rights and societal reform and is really good at what she does. She has a pull on listeners when she addresses a crowd and is firm in her convictions. Sometimes things get out of hand,
Happy Reading Watching
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reread #3 10/05/2020

This action pack Cinderella retelling was amazing and the audiobook was fantastic!!

Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts by @authornancycampbellallen
Was a book that I consumed & boy was it good! In my opinion the best one in the series so far. I would even go as far as to say the best book she has written! .
Steampunk Proper Romance Series:

📖Beauty and the Clockwork Beast ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

📖Kiss of the Spindle⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

📖The Lady in the Coppergate Tower⭐⭐⭐

📖Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Even th
I saw "Steampunk retelling of Cinderella" in the blurb and immediately wanted to read this. I stupidly didn't realise it was part of a series though so I'm going to have to read the previous books before I dive into this one ...more
eyes.2c
Steampunk, shifters and love!

I do enjoy steampunk but must admit I haven't read any for a couple of years. I was unsure if I wanted to get back into this genre, and wondered if I could read this without having a knowledge of the series background. I'm pleased to say this stands alone, so that's that hurdle down. I'm now committed to investigating the series, and a have renewed interest in this genre.
I enjoyed Brass Carriages immensely. I loved the courage and vivacity of Emme (Emmeline Castle O’
Sheila
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let me preface this review saying, yes, this book could be a stand-alone, but please read the three previous books in this Proper Romance Steampunk series first. You will understand this wonderful world and all of the characters so much more and will make your reading experience of Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts even more amazing.

Reading Order of the Proper Romance Steampunk Series:

Elodie
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts
Nancy Campbell Allen
Release date 10/06/2020 (ebook)
Publisher Shadow Mountain

𝗕𝗹𝘂𝗿𝗯

A steampunk retelling of Cinderella.
Emmeline O’Shea has been an outspoken advocate for the shapeshifter community, which has come under unjust attack from a political body known as the PSRC (Predatory Shifter Regulations Committee), and her robust efforts have landed her a prestigious position as the spokesperson for the International Shifter
Marilee
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic steampunk to add to an already fabulous series! First, it is important to know that though this is technically a stand alone novel, you will enjoy it so much more if you read the series in order because a lot of the details about this steampunk world are set up in the first few books . Reading them first will help you understand the context of the events of this book much better.

I have been intrigued by Emme's character in past books. I admire her drive to be a voice for those
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
This series!!! Nancy Campbell Allen does a fantastic job at writing steampunk. It is not my go-to genre but when she writes it, I want to read it. Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts is the fourth book in the series. Each book can be read as a stand-alone, but the characters from all the books show up and have established relationships. I'm glad that I read them in order, but you can follow along easily out of order.

Emmeline O'Shea is an outspoken advocate for the shifter community. (Yes, this book
Katie W
Cinderella meets Steampunk

I'm always up for a fairy tale retelling and I love the way this author brings these beloved stories into a steampunk world, allowing for a fresh twist on a classic.

In this installment, a Cinderella format is followed, although the fantasy elements and steampunk ingredients add a strand of excitement and suspense to the romance. I absolutely adored spunky Emme and her dashing enemy, Oliver, and was drawn into the thrill of their adventure and romance. They're equally
Kimberly
4.25 stars - Reviewed for Wit and Sin

A heroine determined to fight for what’s right. A hero assigned to protect her. Danger, romance, and a clock ticking down to midnight all blend together wonderfully in Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts . I adored this action-packed steampunk romance and its stellar characters, clever inventions, and oh-so-addictive world.

I can’t imagine Emme not winning anyone over. She’s courageous, kind, and determined to fight for what is right, no matter the persona
Becky
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
First sentence: Emmeline Castle O’Shea stood at a podium in the balcony of the Municipal Hall for Citizen Affairs and looked out with satisfaction at the murmuring crowd, feeling the energy build in the large room as she finished speaking.

Premise/plot: Emme, our feminist heroine, is forced to spend company with a detective, Oliver Reed, when her life is threatened by a Bad Letter. Her new body guard becomes quite caught up in her life and causes. Emme is quite involved in the cause for Shifter R
Donna Weaver
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My mind keeps going back to one of the things he says to her early in the book: "No. Don't bite my hand."

ROFL Emme and Oliver. *sigh* These two! I love them! So much! It was also great to see the characters from the other books. I'm wondering if this won't be the end. It seems there's an unfinished issue with Emme's shifter stepsister ...
Alexandra
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I received an e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Review will also be available on *Milky Way of Books*

While I read this book without having read the previous ones I loved the story! Steampunk is a hit or miss with me but combined with the fairytale retelling it was an enjoyable book! While the action felt short and some parts I couldn't understand (mostly due to me not having read the previous books) this was a good read!

I seriously plan to read the other books of the series
Sam
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am shocked at how much I adored this little story.

Describing this as a Cinderella retelling seems a stretch since, until the end, the Cinderella similarities are few -- nasty stepsisters and a grand event and a few cryptic references to midnight being about the extent of them. No, this little page-turner was wholly unique to me; it is decidedly a romance, but it has a healthy dash of adventure and intrigue mixed in, and I like the seamlessness of the steampunk world -- it doesn't feel as thoug
Allison
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
This steampunk enemies-to-lovers story follows the cat & mouse dynamic between a policeman and community organizer, which suddenly shifts when aforementioned detective is assigned bodyguard duty to our heroine following a death threat. Oliver and Emme may come to find out they could put their energies towards something better than enmity.

If this premise makes you feel uncomfortable/frustrated because of the disconnect from police brutality and violent suppression of protestors in reality... sam
Minx
Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts was a fun adventure that included a clean romance that was indeed reminiscent of a Cinderella retelling. The interactions between Emmeline and Oliver were very confrontational at first but over the course of the story they developed into quite a working partnership. From the start of this story, Emma had been a thorn in Oliver’s side but her reasons were altruistic. She was an activist on the side of shifter rights and was willing to go to any lengths to get her ...more
 The Flipped Page (Susan K)
Romance, clean; Steampunk; Series but stand alone read
This was by far my favorite of this series so far! All the elements really came together well, the story had excellent pacing and just felt so engrossed in this world! Emmaline and Oliver's story was the best of the series for me as a reader.
Emme and Oliver, thrown together for him to provide protection for her after she receives some threats begins as strong mutual dislike based on their past history. Their gradual warming up to each other
Connie
Sep 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-books, fantasy
I don’t usually read much of the steampunk or paranormal genres, but this series that combines the two is so creative and clever; they are hard to resist! They also happen to be fairytale retellings, and it’s fun to watch for how the author adds in recognizable elements from the beloved Disney cartoons. This world Nancy Campbell Allen has created is both imaginative and compelling.

Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts is the fourth in this series and is the Cinderella retelling. The story follows Emm
Rachelle
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Is anyone else sick of this coronavirus and quarantine/social distancing? Sometimes I feel like a vampire who has to hide away from the living. If you’ve been feeling that way you should definitely read Nancy Campbell Allen’s latest steampunk Victorian romance. Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts is an incredibly unique spin on the Cinderella story that takes us back to the feisty Emme O’Shea and her fight to defend predatory shifters. Yep, in this book vampires and werewolves can be good people to ...more
Jess (BookObsessedJess)
Sep 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 3-stars
A steampunk retelling of Cinderella.

But when a death threat arrives at Emme’s home, she is immediately placed into protective custody, watched over by none other than her personal nemesis, Detective-Inspector Oliver Reed. The two have crossed
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Thank you to Shadow Mountain Publishing and Netgalley for the review copy in exchange for an honest review. This does not change my opinion in anyway.

Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts caught my attention because of the Cinderella retelling and being a steampunk. I thought that was going to be an interesting combination. While this is a 4th book in a series these are more meant as companions, each book focusing on another character and couple. They should be able to be read as standalones. But a
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I have found that Steampunk books can be quite interesting. I'm not sure what it is about the setting but it feels like a combination of new and old technology, inventions, and the like.

I have read a couple of the books in this series and have enjoyed the books and this one was no different. There are a few things that liken it to Cinderella, but I feel like it is very loosely based on that fairy tale. But that is not a fault, just an observation of mine.

The story that is told is one that could
Heather (The Book Squirm)
I am a huge fan of Nancy Campbell Allen's Steampunk Proper Romance series. This retelling of Cinderella hits the mark spot on! There are several nods to Cinderella that will leave fans happy, chuckling, and satisfied.

Emmline O'Shea is a fiesty advocate for the shapeshifting community. In this book, we get to see her take on the politcal landscape that Nancy Campbell Allen has expertly crafted. Emme has a new promotion as the spokeswoman for her committee and the cause she has poured her heart a

• The Gentleman and the Thief (The Dread Penny Society #2)
  • It Started in Budapest (Romance on the Orient Express #1)
  • Wrong Train to Paris (Romance on the Orient Express, #2)
  • A Hopeful Christmas: A Regency Romance Collection
  • The Duke Meets His Match
  • Forget Me Not (The Gents #1)
  • Miracle Creek Christmas
  • A Revolution of Hearts
  • A Foreign Crown (Royal Regency, #1)
  • Georgana's Secret
  • Coming Home to Bellingham
  • Otherwise Engaged
  • Rakes and Roses (Mayfield Family #3)
  • The Best-Laid Plans
  • His Accidental Bride
  • The Doctor and the Midwife
  • His Lady in Hiding
  • Lakeshire Park

Steampunk Proper Romance (4 books)
  • Beauty and the Clockwork Beast (Steampunk Proper Romance #1)
  • Kiss of the Spindle (Steampunk Proper Romance #2)
  • The Lady in the Coppergate Tower (Steampunk Proper Romance #3)

Articles featuring this book

“Oh, Mother, not you too! We cannot deny people their rights simply because there may be a few bad members of their group who abuse them. We may as well lock ourselves up, then. Heaven knows there are plenty of bad humans - humans who do not Shift into animals but simply harbor an evil we might all potentially possess.” 1 likes
“Some people rioted for the sake of rioting.” 0 likes