Start by marking “Rakes and Roses (Mayfield Family #3)” as Want to Read:
Rakes and Roses (Mayfield Family #3)

Rakes and Roses

(Mayfield Family #3)

A Mayfield Family Romance

Lady Sabrina endured an abusive marriage, a miscarriage, and early widowhood to emerge as a smart, successful, confident woman who found a way to make her mark in a man’s world. She has friends and purpose, but cannot hide from the emptiness she feels when the parties are over and the friends have gone home to families she will never have.

Harry S
Published May 5th 2020 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Rakes and Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rakes and Roses

Start your review of Rakes and Roses (Mayfield Family #3)
Lucinda
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Of all the three books in this series, this is my favorite so far.

At the beginning of the story, we find Harry deep in gambling and drink. After he loses his winnings, he's desperate to get a chance to win some more. He owes a great deal of money to a ruthless lender.
When his friend tells him of a different kind of lender, Lord Damion, Harry's not so sure. But, out of options, he realizes it's his only chance.

Lord Damion is not a man. It's Lady Sabrina, whom we meet in the prologue. She has a
Karena
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Nope. I can’t do the clean romances. There was zero chemistry here.
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Rakes and rogues are not my favorite type of hero in the Regency genre, but this author did a wonderful job of exploring the redemption of a young man from a life of dissolution. The lifetime of choices Harry made in response to his harsh upbringing and negative experiences eventually brought him to rock bottom, where he was more than desperate to escape his debts and dangerous lenders. The second chance he receives might have been wasted, but Lady Sabrina rescues him in more ways than one. The ...more
Julie Carpenter
Two characters, both trying to break free from the past and searching for redemption for themselves and others. Full of raw vulnerability, sorrow, heartache, loneliness, loss, self-awareness, friendship, family (sometimes not biological), healing, failing, mistakes, forgiveness, acceptance, self love, understanding, love and redemption.

I have been reading this series from the publication of the first book. And since then Harry Stillman is one character I have been most anxious to read about. Wit
Yara
Rakes and Roses is the third book in the Mayfield Family series by Josi S. Kilpack.

This book, like the previous books, is part of the proper romance genre - which means it's clean when it comes to sexual content. Additionally, these novels might have Christian content thought they vary wildly as to how overt the Christian content might be - sometimes, you might not even notice it.

Having read the first two books in this series and enjoyed them very much, I was looking forward to this book. Unfor
Lu
In a time when gender roles were very strict, a businesswoman and a man who enjoyed knitting found their way to each other.

Rakes and Roses is the third book in the Mayfield Family Series but can be read as a standalone. It is a clean, romantic and uplifting historical romance set in England, in the early 1800s.

This is my first book by this author, and I enjoyed her rich and articulated writing style.

Lady Sabrina, an affluent widow, knew Mr. Harry Stilman from a brief encounter they had several
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
***4.5 stars***

I love the premise of this series. A wealthy elderly uncle, who never married and is without an heir, decides to bestow an inheritance to his family on the condition that they marry. He doesn't want them to live as he did. Alone.

This story is about Harry. He has many vices. He's a rake, and alcoholic, and a gambler. He is indebted to a very horrible man and his uncle has cut him off. He has no way to fulfill his obligations until Lord Damion finds worth in him and loans him the mo
Katie W
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Unique and refreshing Regency

I can always count on Josi Kilpack to deliver a sweet Regency story that steps outside of the typical formula. In this offering, she tackles a rakish gambling drunk who finds himself well below rock bottom. Fortunately for him, he had a very brief encounter with Lady Sabrina in the past and she can't forget the kindness shown her and is ready to return the favor.

I found a deep level of pride for Sabrina and her stalwart character and integrity, which caused me to f
Bethany
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Having been a teen reader of conservative & Christian romances, I really wish that this was the kind of thing being published back then. Rakes and Roses is a slow-burn, historical romance that keeps things pretty PG, but features a strong and capable heroine, a hero hitting rock bottom before changing his life, small references to faith that never get preachy, and an ending that I found to be truly romantic. I wasn't sure quite what to expect, but despite a couple small bumps, this was a very pl ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Do you want to know what I loved best about this book? It felt different than other regency books. The premise was unique and Lady Sabrina's life felt different but still believable within the genre. I loved her independence and her desire to make a difference in the lives of others. Her confidence and smarts had me singing a girl's anthem in my head. But then, her vulnerabilities would shine through and remind me how very human she was. I really loved Lady Sabrina.

I thought the author did a goo
Samantha Martin
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I struggled through this one. I found myself not really liking Harry. He whines and literally cries a lot in the beginning. Sabrina overcame an abusive marriage but I don’t feel like the author really explored the emotional side of that much. This book felt really long but felt like it lacked depth all at the same time. I did receive a free copy to review this book, so this is my honest opinion.
Connie
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This novel is absolutely fantastic! The characters are so well done. The author does an amazing job of showing what a pathetic loser Harry starts out as with all his heartbreaking addictions. The process of watching him overcome is so inspiring. And I love how Sabrina helps him with just the right ratio of tough love and compassion. Their conversation about changing and becoming better is worth 5 stars to me all by itself.

The pacing is brilliant. I was a little worried how this wonderfully capab
Tamara
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rakes and Roses is the third book in the Mayfield Family book series, and it opens up six years earlier when Lady Sabrina is the recipient of Harry’s kindness when she needs it. At the time, Lady Sabrina is married to a man, Richard whose anger gets the best of him, and she is concerned about the unborn child she bears, and it is then that Harry comes upon her and offers to help her in any way he can.
Fast forward six years later, Sabrina’s husband Richard is dead, she has miscarried their child,
Becky
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Rakes and Roses is different from the other Proper Romances I've read in that it's less a romance than a redemption story. There's nothing wrong with that; it just wasn't quite what I expected. Still, I enjoyed the story so much that I didn't really mind the understated romance (mostly ...).

Sabrina was such an intriguing character. I loved the way she used her wealth to help others. Though I normally don't like rakes, I did enjoy Harry's transformation. I also loved his uncle Elliott, whose stor
Amy
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I have been looking forward to the next in this series for a year, and was incredibly disappointed to see the change in cover design. Fans like to have their covers stay in sync, but I do understand the reasons behind the decision to discard the style.

An interesting approach to both the main characters, leave us with a unique storyline and plot - that I have not come across before in this genre.

Sadly, I had difficulty connecting to the story and it wasn’t until 80% in that the pace picked up.
Rachelle
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Josi Kilpack has created a wonderful family during the regency period that I just can’t get enough of so I was happy to find another story in the Mayfield Family Romance series.
This novel deals with a main character who is a survivor of an abusive marriage and the reader will love seeing how strong and smart she has become despite her trials. Lady Sabrina defies many of the social customs to help others and change her own life.

Harry Stillman is a rake, but he’s quite a charming rake. I loved rea
 The Flipped Page (Susan K)
Romance, clean; Period; series, but stand alone read
I think this is my favorite of all of this series. I know some readers may fault Harry's strength as a character, but I loved it! I loved how he was brought to his knees, how Lord Damion plays a part, and Lady Sabrina. Loved all the staff, the mystery surrounding Lord Damion and Harry's creditors.
Saving Harry, Harry's recovery, and his rebirth as a new 'man', able to overcome his weaknesses, the person responsible for betraying him, so many tw
eyes.2c
Interesting concept just didn't work for me. The reformed gambling addict, the layabout, rescued by a wealthy society widow. Lady Sabrina Carlisle who remembers Harry Stillman gratefully (to be sure, that was one of my fav moments) and decides to assist him. Then she breaks her own rules! Mmm! I couldn't quite reconcile this decision. But still that moved the plot forward and she couldn't leave Harry injured in the gutter.
Thus we have the poor little rich boy who sells his soul (and that of his
Trisha
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This story is unique and filled with dynamic characters that are sure to not only charm you but have you in their corner cheering them on. A story that flips convention on its head by the heroine coming to the rescue of the hero.

Lady Sabrina has known her fair share of the hard knocks of life, yet she continues to rise above her circumstances and make something out of her life. She has learned the hard way that she can not depend on a man to provide for her. Lady Sabrina has a big heart and want
Toni Shiloh
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ve enjoyed each of the Mayfield Family books and Rakes and Roses was no exception.

Since book 1, I’ve wondered about the story of Harry Stillman. I wondered what kind of life he was living and when the story starts, we get a glimpse of a kind man in the prologue. However, when chapter one starts, we see how far Harry has fallen.

But I so love a redeemable character and Harry definitely is one. Add in Lady Sabrina’s past and her current endeavors and you have a page turner folks.

I thoroughly enjo
Stacey
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Review excerpted from by blog post over at FanSciHist (https://fanscihist.wordpress.com/2020...)

My Rating: 3.5 stars

Library recommendation: Recommended for public library historical romance collections.

Warning: Hereafter, you chance spoilers. I will try never to reveal major plot points, but to review any book, you must reveal some parts of the story.

________________

Number of titles I have read by this author: 1

Love story speed: Slow burn

Relationship dynamics: The Wastrel Rake (H) / The Charita
Caitlyn Lynch
May 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: regency-georgian
Although this is a sweet inspirational romance, I’m not sure it’s suitable for the younger reader, as there are some fairly heavy themes in here too, including (past) spousal abuse and (on-page) recovery from addiction, to both gambling and alcohol, with withdrawal sickness thoroughly detailed. Please be aware of these possible triggers if you choose to read.

With an ugly marriage in her past, Lady Sabrina masquerades as Lord Damian, who offers a conditional salvation to young men of the Ton who’
Mara
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Oh how I love this series about the Mayfield Family. I was especially looking forward to Harry Stillman's story because he's such a mess--he's in a lot of debt due to his gambling, he's become an alcoholic and he's a rake. Needless to say, he's not thrilled with his uncle's "marriage campaign" which requires him to find a wife in order to receive his inheritance. Harry has borrowed money from a very horrible man (think Regency loan shark) in order to pay his debts because his uncle has cut him o ...more
Happy Reading Watching
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
1/2021
Reread....still enjoyed it so cute♡
⭐⭐⭐⭐💫
𝐑𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐑𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐬
𝐁𝐲 @authorjosiskilpack
(𝐀 𝐌𝐚𝐲𝐟𝐢𝐞𝐥𝐝 𝐅𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐲 𝐑𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 - 𝐕𝐨𝐥. 𝟑 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬)

𝐈𝐧 𝐦𝐲 𝐨𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐞𝐧𝐣𝐨𝐲𝐞𝐝 𝐢𝐭! 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐟 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫! 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐲 𝐧𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐥 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐫𝐞𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠! 𝐈 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞𝐝 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐬 𝐛𝐲 𝐉𝐨𝐬𝐢 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐞𝐥𝐬𝐞.
𝐈𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞...

✔𝐍𝐞𝐰 𝐓𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐑𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐲 𝐒𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲

This one can be read
Debby*BabyDee
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a first time read by author Josi S. Kilpack. Rakes and Roses started off a bit slow in the beginning but picked up tempo further along in the book. As this is an ARC, I thought the plot and written intent was well done. I thought the main characters Sabrina and Harry have had their fair share of disappointments and truely strived to make good of the mishaps that have come their way.

When Harry is injured and ends up in his benefactor's house to heal, made for an interesting coup of how Sa
June
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
The rare series book that absolutely can stand alone--there are no tie-ins or untold backstories.

The characters make some rather quick changes in their lives, but overall it's a nice escapist romance.

Thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for a digital ARC for the purpose of an unbiased review.
Rosanne Lortz
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Harry Stillman fell into the wrong crowd when he first came to London, and years of dice and drink have made him a slave to his appetites. Dun territory is a terrifying place, however, when your creditor is only too happy to break both your kneecaps. Harry is on the brink of selling his family estate to pay his debts when he gets an offer from the mysterious Lord Damion to buy up the loan if Harry can promise to mend his ways. But the thug who is Harry's chief creditor isn't willing to let his p ...more
Michelle Kenneth - PerfectionistWannabe.com
Wow. I really loved this one.

I love the Mayfield Family series. This one is unlike the others. It is a little darker as far as character goes. There's violence, domestic abuse, a miscarriage, and some seedier workings.

Harry Stillman is a drunkard and a gambler. He's lost everything. He is literally sitting in human waste on the streets of London with not a penny to his name, thrown out of a gambling hall, knowing that he is ruined. Malcolm, the moneylender, will have his hide. Harry can't turn t
the girl who reads a lot
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Whatever bit of good a person exercised in the world was a step toward making it a better place for everyone.”

I think this is my favorite of the Mayfield Family Romances, even though I wasn’t completely sure I liked Harry at first. I liked him by the end though. And I admired Lady Sabrina for the good she is adding to the world.
Heather (The Book Squirm)
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A favorite in the series!

At the beginning of this book, we are introduced to heavy themes of abuse and addiction. I was concerned these themes would be too heavy for a clean regency romance. I worried the themes would be pushed off into the background as a romance took center stage. My concerns and worry were unfounded as the author did a great job portraying these themes in a very tasteful, yet believable way.

The path to redemption never took a backseat to the love story, and the love story n
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Lakeshire Park
  • Forget Me Not (The Gents, #1)
  • Solving Sophronia (The Blue Orchid Society #1)
  • Promised
  • The Gentleman and the Thief (The Dread Penny Society #2)
  • Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts (Steampunk Proper Romance #4)
  • A Foreign Crown (Royal Regency, #1)
  • Otherwise Engaged
  • Coming Home to Bellingham
  • A Proper Charade
  • It Started in Budapest (Romance on the Orient Express #1)
  • His Lady in Hiding
  • The Masked Baron
  • The Duke Meets His Match
  • Miracle Creek Christmas
  • Georgana's Secret
  • Wrong Train to Paris (Romance on the Orient Express, #2)
  • Emmeline (The Blue Orchid Society #0.5)
I wrote my first book while on bed rest with my third child in 1998 and haven't stopped. My most recent books have been Historical Romance through the Proper Romance line with Shadow Mountain Publishing.

I currently live in Willard, Utah with my husband, and children.

Mayfield Family (3 books)
  • Promises and Primroses (Mayfield Family #1)
  • Daisies and Devotion (Mayfield Family, #2)

News & Interviews

According to some historians, the month of April is actually named after Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, by way of the Romans....
“There was beauty to be seen if one simply took the time to behold it. The past was not greater than the present.” 0 likes