Start by marking “Blessed Assurance” as Want to Read:

Blessed Assurance

A coming of age novel set against the backdrop of a small close-knit evangelical community in the fictional Scottish village of Kilhaugh one fog bound December in the late nineteen sixties when the Cold War was on the brink of turning hot. The story takes place over six soul searching days in the life of God-fearing dog-thief and pyromaniac, 11 year-old Joseph Kirkland, ...more
Published November 8th 2019 by Vagabond Voices

To ask other readers questions about Blessed Assurance, please sign up.
Stewart Ennis It's a world I know very well, but I would definitely not describe it as autobiographical.

Start your review of Blessed Assurance
Emer (A Little Haze)
'Blessed Assurance' is the debut novel by Stewart Ennis that is to be published on November 18th, 2019 by Vagabond Voices, a small independent Scottish publishers.

I was approached to read this book on Twitter and really didn't know what kind of book I was getting into when I agreed to read this ARC copy. But I must say that I'm very pleased that I took a chance on this unknown author as 'Blessed Assurance' is a most fascinating piece of literature.

The novel is set in a fictionalised Scottish
Tracy Patrick
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is much to love about this novel. Stewart Ennis has made his mark as a playwright, and he brings his experience as a writer to bear in this poetic telling of six days in the life of Joseph Kirkland, an eleven-year-old boy brought up by his evangelical grandparents in the fictional Scottish small town of Kilhaugh during the late sixties. Scottish literature has a fine tradition of imaginary settings that bear a close resemblance to real places, including Sunset Songs Kinraddie and the ...more
Jeannette Hiddelston
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is the story of Joseph, a boy brought up in a strict religious community in a Scottish village.

He is brought up by his gran and grandpa and life at home is austere. Gran is determined that he should be sin free and the book develops from there. It follows his adventures with Archie, his friend from the Glasgow overspill, so different from the constrictive atmosphere at home.

I found I was plunged into the world of village life in the sixties, with all its prejudices and contrasts,
Phyllida
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stewart Ennis strong debut novel Blessed Assurance is a coming of age story set in a Scottish evangelical community in the midst of the Cold War. It follows the troubled Joseph Kirkland, whose casual lie that he has been saved by Jesus quickly spirals out of control. As Joseph heads towards disaster, secrets long buried by his family and community come careening dangerously to the surface.

In his depiction of the fictional village of Kilhaugh, Ennis perfectly captures the claustrophobia of small
Freepal1
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blessed Assurance
I read Stewarts book and was enthralled with the story of Joseph Kirkland and his friends. It was very well written and drew me into Josephs world, giving me an accurate insight into living within a religious home.
Well worth a read.
Ronald F
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My childhood was nothing like this but it is so wonderfully evocative, that I feel I might have been there in the company of eleven year old Joseph Kirkland, Archie, Wee Maggie and the others.
Mags Vernon
Katrina
Mar 07, 2020

• The Artist's Way Every Day: A Year of Creative Living
  • Pax
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • Girl with a Pearl Earring
  • Ducks, Newburyport
  • Anna Karenina
  • His Dark Materials (His Dark Materials #1-3)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Trainspotting
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Duckworth, the Difficult Child
  • The Brothers Karamazov
  • American Panda
Born in Bridge of Weir in 1961, Stewart Ennis began his career as a journalist and a nurse, but now works as a writer, actor, lecturer and occasional photographer. He was a founding member of the acclaimed Benchtours theatre ensemble with whom he created many touring shows throughout the nineties and noughties.

For several years he was creative writing lecturer at HMP Shotts and other Scottish

News & Interviews