Start by marking “Once Upon a Word: A Word-Origin Dictionary for Kids--Building Vocabulary Through Etymology, Definitions & Stories” as Want to Read:

Where do words come from?--Learning new words by understanding their stories

The English language is made up of words from different places, events, and periods of time. Each of those words has an exciting story to tell us about where, when, how, and why they came about. Once Upon a Word is packed with easy-to-understand definitions and awesome word-origin stories. With
Paperback
Expected publication: February 25th 2020 by Rockridge Press

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Word

Start your review of Once Upon a Word: A Word-Origin Dictionary for Kids--Building Vocabulary Through Etymology, Definitions & Stories
Miranda Reads
Feb 09, 2020 is currently reading it
description
A huge thank you to the author and Rockridge Press for sending me a free copy in exchange for an honest review
Caroline arrow_reads
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a fun and helpful book for better understanding the meaning of words. It has charts of Greek and Latin roots, as well as, charts of prefixes and suffixes. There are also dictionaries of where words come from. This book will be a good recourse for our homeschooling family. Thank you NetGalley for a complimentary arc to review.
Erin
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Way more fun than your ordinary dictionary!

While I'm hardly the younger reader this book is aimed at, I enjoyed this book immensely. Anyone with an interest in words - whatever their age - will likely feel the same.

I especially love the words that used to mean something else entirely. For example, "bully" used to mean sweetheart in the 1500s. (Fun fact!) And I loved sharing with my ukelele-playing 10 year old that the word for her instrument comes from the Hawaiian for "leaping flea"!

I found
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This dictionary focuses on word origins to teach vocabulary through the stories and history of words. The first section explains the roots of common Latin and Greek words and how the prefixes and suffixes attached to words can give clues to their meaning or completely change the meaning of the main word.

Organized alphabetically, each entry gives a paragraph with an explanation of the origin story of the word, along with its meaning, root language, and sometimes an example sentence. I really love
You don't sit down and read a dictionary front to back.

It is the same with this book. It is not intended to read front to back, or even back to front. It is like a dictionary in that you look up things in it, but you don't sit down and read it cover to cover.

Having said that, this is a very easy to look up book of common words that kids might have an interest in knowing about.

If anything, there isn't enough information about the words. And it doesn't go into enough of the words.

For example
Cover Lover Book Review
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is another one of those "I would've loved this book when I was a kid" books. I have always loved reading, writing, and vocabulary. The book showcases words and the history behind them, to expand kids' vocabulary and spelling. I think this book would be a great help to kids learning English as a second language, as well.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher.
Cassandra
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy

I like the newer mix of words that would relate more with kids and keep them entertained.
It can even help people who are learning English. A great reference book that you want to pick up again.
Stefanie Kellum
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kids
*I read a digital ARC of this title from the publisher via NetGalley.
Andrex
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Learn some real proven history after the needless evolutionary statement at the beginning. Start with some roots, prefixes and suffixes. Is a knowledge of etymology worth having? Absolutely! Learn more about all the possibilities and opportunities that can open up for you.

Part 2 - Etymology from Aardvark to Zoology.
With four different page edge colors used it is easy to see where the next letter of the alphabet starts. The given word is also written in that color, followed by a pronunciation
Virginia Campbell
"Once Upon a Word: A Word-Origin Dictionary for Kids--Building Vocabulary Through Etymology, Definitions & Stories" is a terrific teaching tool and a fun learning experience. Both children and adults will greatly enjoy discovering the origins and definitions of many common words--and some not so common--and the language elements which come together to form those words. Author Jess Zafarris, "an award-winning innovator of digital content and marketing solutions and a prolific online and print ...more
Renee Knoblauch
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Words have always intrigued me. This is an interesting dictionary that explains how the languages of words evolved and their origins. It even talks about how they changed throughout history from the old world words to modern day. The dictionary has a section that explains the prefix, roots, and suffix. There is Latin and Greek based roots charts. A few fun charts like A Year of Word Origins that goes over the 12 months in a year.

The dictionary is color coded. This isn’t a full exhausted
Emma
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
VERDICT: A beautiful example that children’s books can be a mine of resources for all, here about language.

Once Upon a Word is a very attractive dictionary designed to develop the vocabulary of young readers. But I bet you would discover treasures there, whatever your age.

It starts with Word Jungle, a part explaining in very simple terms the basics of linguistics: Indo European, Ancient Greek and Latin, and the evolution from Old to Modern English.

I like the smart way the author played with the
Mary
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a child, I was a dictionary nerd. Loved to read it to discover new words and their meanings. I really enjoyed reading the word meanings and pronunciations. Reading about the history of words really added another dimension to understanding. It could also add to the current phenomenon of urban words and their meanings. This book would bring tremendous educational benefits to students (and a few adults). This book is one that every student should have at home to refer to while reading and ...more
Kristin
Karma Sixx
is currently reading it
Melody Schwarting
Feb 18, 2020

• Bedtime Meditations for Kids: Quick, Calming Exercises to Help Kids Get to Sleep
  • How to Bake for Beginners: An Easy Cookbook for Baking the Basics
  • The Story of Abraham Lincoln: A Biography Book for New Readers
  • The Women of the Bible and You: A Weekly Devotional
  • Seberson Method: New Sat(r) Vocabulary Workbook: Over 700 High-Frequency Words to Master
  • Organic Aromatherapy & Essential Oils: The Modern Guide to All-Natural Health and Wellness
  • The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #11)
  • The Shape of Family
  • Frog's Rainy-day Story and Other Fables
  • Always the One
  • Isaiah's Legacy (Prophets and Kings #3)
  • Green Witchcraft: A Practical Guide to Discovering the Magic of Plants, Herbs, Crystals, and Beyond
  • Crystals for Emotional Healing: A Contemporary Guide
  • Yin Yoga: Essential Poses and Sequences for Balanced Energy
  • Ichigo ichie. Japońska sztuka przeżywania niezapomnianych chwil
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • The Cockatoo from Timbuktu
  • Zentangle Dingbatz: Patterns & Projects for Dynamic Tangled Ornaments & Decorations
Jess Zafarris is the author of Once Upon a Word: A Word-Origin Dictionary for Kids. She is also an award-winning innovator of digital content and marketing solutions and a prolific online and print journalist, having served as the Executive Director of Marketing & Communications for Gotham Ghostwriters. Before that, she served as Content Strategist and Digital Content Director for Writer’s ...more