Start by marking “The Cross-Country Quilters (Elm Creek Quilts, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Cross-Country Quilters (Elm Creek Quilts, #3)

The Cross-Country Quilters

(Elm Creek Quilts #3)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  5,442 Ratings  ·  386 Reviews
Julia, Megan, Donna, Grace, and Vinnie are cross-country friends who are about to begin work on a challenge quilt. A piece of fabric is divided among the women, with the understanding that the following year they will all meet at the Elm Creek Quilt Camp to sew the sections together into a single quilt. But the friends have set themselves a special challenge: no one can st ...more
Published March 26th 2002 by Plume Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Cross-Country Quilters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cross-Country Quilters

Kate
Judy keeps buying them, I keep reading them. And every time I pick one of the Elm Creek Quilt books up, I think, "Damn this is kind of elementary" and then wind up thinking, "Damn, this one was better than the last."

This is the third in the series, and the third I've read, and my favorite one thus far. Five women meet at Elm Creek Quilt Camp and become quick friends. They decide to reunite in one year's time and in that time, they have to complete a block for a quilt after solving an issue confr
joyce lynn
May 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
ok, i was STILL on semi-rest yesterday, so got another novel knocked out. this one was even better than her other's that i've read. of course, it MAY be because i could relate to a few of the characters even better than any others! especially Grace!! no, i do NOT have MS, but ... i do have 2 "conditions" that i'll have for the rest of my life, 1 of which will most likely land me in a wheelchair eventually. i am as independent as her, if not more so, and can DEFINITELY understand what somewhat of ...more
Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts, quilts
The third installment in this series, Cross Country Quilters diverges from telling the tale of the ladies of Elm Creek Quilts, to telling the story of the quilt campers that come to visit. The original characters only make brief appearances but as a recap (and possible spoiler for the first two books) I'll tell a bit about them.

In the first book, Sarah, a young woman who moved with her husband is desperately looking for a job. When she meets a client of her husband's, the moody Sylvia, she at fi
Loralee
Jul 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Barbara
Shelves: chick-lit
After reading the first four books in the Elm Creek Quilts series, I am actually thinking it would be fun to learn how to quilt. Blending quilting techniques with a heart-warming story of friendship, this is a perfect book to enjoy on a warm summer day.

This book focuses on a group of women who meet at Elm Creek's quilt camp. Two women, Megan and Donna, are Internet friends who look forward to meeting each other in real life. Megan, a divorced woman with a sweet but somewhat troubled son, is a su
Elaine
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
This is the third novel in the "Elm Creek Quilts Sampler." These novels make up the first three books in this series. In this particular book, we don't hear much about the Elm Creek Quilters Staff after the new characters depart the camp. It's more about these newly-introduced folks here and their families and others in their lives. It's about match-making and divorced couples and how divorce affects not only the couple but others in their lives as well.

There's Julia, the aging actress; Megan,
Kim
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I totally enjoyed this book. First of all, I am a quilter, so I love that aspect of these book. It's been a learning experience reading about the various quilt patterns and other techniques. I also liked the new characters in this book. They were all realistic, and had to deal with problems in their personal lives that included mother/daughter relationships, husband/wife problems, standing up for our rights and community involvement to mention a few. These were problems similar to those most peo ...more
Sally
Feb 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
We didn't think these books about quilters would be so good, but my husband (who is not a quilter) and I really like them. He read the first one and said it was surprisingly good. Then he read the 2nd one, and said, I'm not sure I can get through the rest of these (meaning the series). When he picked up the 3rd one, he was just going to skim it, but he said, "The author is such a good writer. I just got sucked into the characters and their stories". He read it all the way through. I, of course, ...more
April
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. It kind of started off slow and I was not sure were it was going. But once the group got to Elm Creek I all made sense. Going to start some of the other ones. Very good story about different types of lives different people face..
Lindsay
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every book in this series seems to get better. I loved it so much that I stayed up until 4 am reading to finish it.
Robin
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Should not have read 3 in a row. Now overstuffed on sweetness & cheese!
Pam
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I hadn’t read an Elm Creek Quilts book in forever. Back when I was quilting, I devoured this series one after another.... so I figured I’d pick one up and give it a whirl once again.

It was good! Nothing bad to say about, but nothing tremendous either. I felt it to be a rather monotonous read except for one singular part dealing with Donna and Lindsey. I love the friendship that grew from such diverse women, and the power it had to help each of them through troubling times in their lives. The co
Julie Cave
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
An easy and enjoyable read even for one who is not into quilting. This is Book #3 in the Elm Creek Quilters series and is about 5 women from various parts of the U.S. who attend a week-long quilter's conference. They vary in age, status, personality, quilting skills and all arrive for different reasons and with troubles, big and small. What transpires during that week and the months following reveals much about friendships and overcoming challenges. Audio version was very good.
Msgadget
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this, the third Elm creek Quilters saga, an underlying theme continues and that is, higher education neither guarantees one's path nor their ultimate vocation. Interesting. I was intrigued by the idea of working a block based on overcoming an obstacle and not being able to start that block until some action had been taken or resolution achieved. Filling in the gaps in this series has been extremely enjoyable.
Rachel
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love this series. It just warms the heart. The first few books in the series were about how the Elm Creek Quilters establish themselves. This book is about a set of women who become friends while attending quilt camp together, and the various challenges they have in their daily lives. So it is less about the Elm Creek Manor and more about the campers themselves.
Clara Dearmore Strom
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Make new friends, but keep the old.

The Elm Creek quilters return, but there is new group of quilters in town. The Cross Country quilters are an unlikely bunch of women who overcome personal obstacles and become friends. This book reminds me how I cherish the friendships of each of my women friends new and old.
Suzanne Mundy
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The third book in The Elm Creek Quilts series. This novel describes the lives of three friends who met at quilt camp and their experiences during the year following camp. It is an emotional story, but good. I like the series very much.
Debbie
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such an enjoyable series. I enjoy the "quilt camp" genre and in this book we follow the campers home and into their lives and bumps in the road. It was a good journey to come together at camp the next year. I'm looking forward to moving on in this series.
Kim Howe
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story with grammatical errors

I love this series of books and reread them many times, but was disappointed by the running together of words in the correspondence sections and weird &"8220 that appeared randomly throughout the book.
Renata
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love that the author took a side trip from the original characters and introduced us to some new campers and intertwined their lives. While this is my favorite of the three so far, I needed the first two for the history, although I love Sylvia. Jennifer is an excellent writer. On to number four!
Susan T.
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The challenge quilt becomes the focus for the plot as new characters are drawn into the quilter's group at Elm Creek Camp.
Emily
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one was A LOT better than the second one. With a whole new cast of characters, I was invested in each one of them (although Megan was REALLY annoying about not trusting Vinny's grandson).
Elizabeth
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Each of the Elm Creek books has made me want to be there with the next group of quilters!
Stephanie Wentzlaff
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How can you not love a good quilt story?
Joyce Reynolds-Ward
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another collection of character studies of quilters. Nice summer read.
Susan Banner
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Just right!
Patricia Schoeller
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series is getting me back into quilting. Thanks
Lyn Soulia smith
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had a rough time getting into this book compared to the first two. It was ok, but I didn't get into this one. Could be the beginning didn't start with the original quilters.
Lorraine
Sep 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
I COULDN'T GET INTERESTED IN THIS BOOK.
Missy Thierwechter Krause
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this series! I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
  • A Thread of Truth (Cobbled Court Quilts, #2)
  • Touching Stars
  • Seven Sisters (Benni Harper, #7)
  • The Lover's Knot (Someday Quilts Mystery, #1)
  • Crewel Yule (A Needlecraft Mystery, #8)
Jennifer Chiaverini is the New York Times bestselling author of several acclaimed historical novels and the beloved Elm Creek Quilts series, as well as six collections of quilt patterns inspired by her books. A graduate of the University of Notre Dame and the University of Chicago, she lives with her husband and two sons in Madison, Wisconsin. About her historical fiction, the Milwaukee Journal Se ...more

Elm Creek Quilts (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Quilter's Apprentice (Elm Creek Quilts, #1)
  • Round Robin (Elm Creek Quilts, #2)
  • The Runaway Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #4)
  • The Quilter's Legacy (Elm Creek Quilts, #5)
  • The Master Quilter (Elm Creek Quilts, #6)
  • The Sugar Camp Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #7)
  • The Christmas Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #8)
  • Circle of Quilters (Elm Creek Quilts, #9)
  • The Quilter's Homecoming (Elm Creek Quilts, #10)
  • The New Year's Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #11)