Start by marking “Some Like it Plaid” as Want to Read:

Some Like it Plaid

When Ashley Miller sees a Craigslist ad for an all-expense paid vacation to Scotland with a handsome Highland “escort”, she’s all over it. Worn out from working two jobs to pay off the debts her scam artist ex-husband left her with, she just needs a friggin’ break already. Rolling, misty mountains of the Scottish Highlands, here she comes!

But one minute she’s sipping a lat
Published November 18th 2019 by Entangled: Amara

Outlander by Diana GabaldonThe Winter Sea by Susanna KearsleyThe Rose Garden by Susanna KearsleyMariana by Susanna KearsleyVoyager by Diana Gabaldon
Dual Time Romances
259 books — 679 voters
Seducing Cinderella by Gina L. MaxwellThe Marriage Bargain by Jennifer ProbstVanilla on Top by C.J. EllissonRules of Entanglement by Gina L. MaxwellProtecting What's His by Tessa Bailey
Entangled Books
405 books — 372 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Some Like it Plaid
Sentranced Jem
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
I am a sucker for anything time travel, add to that a historical romance? BAMM! I am all in!
I enjoyed the first few chapters but after that this book lost me.
I tried to finish this book a few times now but alast! I’ve DNF-ed it.
SheLove2Read
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
I had hoped this would be a good start to my long holiday weekend reading. A cute cover, a genre I like if done well (time travel), and an interesting time period. The first 30% was okay, albeit with a slow start, but it went downhill from there. The romance was lackluster, with almost no chemistry between H/h. I didn't like the way the heroine was made to feel she would have to be the one to make all concessions in their relationship to make it work. A disappointing read.
T. Rosado

4.5 Stars

Some Like it Plaid was a highly entertaining time-travel romance. The majority of the story was spent in the past and I was impressed with the author's story-telling when it came to the historical time period that the hero hailed from - 156 AD. Thankfully this story was lighter with some added humor, because the time period had the potential to be dark and scary with its warrior clans, Roman soldiers, druids, and slave raids. Let's not even touch the fact that there wasn't plumbing or h
Elodie
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Angela Quarles
Release date 11/18/2019
Publisher Entangled Amara

Blurb :

But one minute she’s sipping a latte and the n
Jackie (Jackie's Book World)
***Review can also be found at Jackie's Book World. :)***

From the cover to the intriguing synopsis, Some Like it Plaid had me hooked from the very beginning and it didn’t disappoint at all. It’s my first time reading anything from Angela Quarles and it won’t be the last. She manages to transport the reader to a whole new time and it worked.

In the story we get to meet Ashley Miller, she has recently divorced and has struggled ever since to pay the debt that her ex-husband left her with. Her life
Lindsay
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Michaelene
This was a fun, lighthearted little novel!

In Angela Quarles' Some Like It Plaid, a highlander needs a wife. The problem? There are no wives to be found in his time. The solution? Travel to modern day San Francisco where he puts an ad on the list of Craig. Lots of humorous situations followed, and I gotta say, I was charmed to my toes.

Connall was so very eager in his pursuit of a wife, and the magic elements as well as the modern day and historical time periods just worked for me. How details mel
Christa
Connall’s tribe is short on women after a raid stole them away. So with a little magic and help from a local Druid, he gets sent to modern San Francisco to find a woman.

Ashley is desperate. Her ex husband built a ton of debt in her name and turned her family against her. She’s living in a podshare and trying to work off his debts. So when she sees an ad for a job in Scotland, she goes to the interview and is surprised she gets it.

Unfortunately she didn’t realize it wasn’t a job of cooking and c
Carla Johnson-Hicks
It has been a long time since I read a Romantic Time-Slip novel, where the female characters travels back to the Scottish Highlands. This one had a bit of a twist, with the handsome, swoon-worthy hero travelling forward in time looking for a wife. When he finds her, they travel back in time to his home. The only problem is that she doesn't realize she has agreed to become his wife.

I really enjoyed this story. It was just different enough to really pique my interest. First of all, the clan has su
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
I’ll be upfront and say this book was pretty far out of my wheelhouse as it included time travel and was a historical romance with a twist and while I found it entertaining at times, for the most part I had a hard time with the concept as I kept thinking they are changing history (sorry but my love of Star Trek made me think how bad this could be). That all being said, Some Like It Plaid was amusing and clever, but at times a bit heavy and sad and while billed a romance, that part of the story f ...more
Elaine
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked the premise to this book (I just love time travel romance) and I was sure I'd enjoy it greatly (like I did other time travel books by Ms. Quarles) but sadly there was this tiny, tiny thing that got in the way of me loving the book. And that thing was the hero's age. He was 21. I just couldn't get pass that. I don't like it when the main characters are barely out of their teens. It's my personal preference and if I knew beforehand the hero was so young I wouldn't have requested this book. ...more
Julia Red Hatter Book Blog
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Normally I'm a little iffy on historical and time travel books. Angela Quarles changed my mind. I was quickly swept into another world with Ashley. I fell in love with Connall and his tribe. Ms. Quarles wove a beautiful story, her words painted beautiful pictures in my mind and I honestly did not want the book to end.

Ashley has had a shit life. Let's be honest, she has, but a chance meeting from a Craigslist ad answers all her problems. She thinks. She's then thrust into a world she knows nothi
Angela Quarles
Nov 13, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommended to Angela by: https://entangledpublishing.com/some-...
You can pre-order/order it here: https://entangledpublishing.com/some-... ...more
Patty
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some Like it Plaid by Angela Quarles is a unique love story between Ashley Miller, a present day women and a second century Scotland Highlander, Connall, a tribe leader. Angela answers a Craig's list ad, thinking she is going to Scotland, for a job. She just didn't realize she was going back in time. I found this book to be interesting and fun, and enjoyed the history as well. If your looking for something different in your romance reading, I highly recommend this one.

I reviewed a digital arc pr
Miriam Wolfe
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a voluntary review of an advanced copy.

A bit different take on the time travel romance, when Connall is sent to the future to find a bride when the women of his clan are kidnapped. It was great that the clan wealth in the past translated forward (I am guessing since a druid sent him and could add on the little things!) so that Connall was not penniless.

When Ashley went back to the past, she was able to transfer her use of Google into visions or sight so that she was able to navigate this
Pamela
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ashley Miller is tired of dodging people her ex-husband owes money to. She would love to just get away from it all. When she finds an ad on Craigslist for a job in Scotland, she jumps at the opportunity. Ashley has no idea what to expect when she shows up for the interview, but the sexy Highlander doing the hiring is an added bonus. Apparently, she makes a good impression, because next thing she knows she's packing for Scotland. Imagine her shock, when Ashley discovers she's traveled back in tim ...more
GregandRobin
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What would you do if you are the baby of the family (treated as such), divorced from a swindler , who you are now working 2 jobs to pay off his bookies!! Then comes this offer from a wild, hunky, swoonable man from Scotland and all he wants is you to wash , clean, and expand his herd!!! Well hell ya lets go!!!
Little did Ashley know that was not all she was going to do or when she was going to do it in. Hold hands with this with man and she ends up centuries back in time!! She makes the most out
Treena
This is an okay, time-travel romance. It's light reading. But I must confess that I've read better. Nothing really stands out about the plot or the characters.

It's like grabbing that frozen lasagna dinner you had in your freezer bec you're too lazy to cook. It's okaaaay but you know it's not the same as the lasagna your mom used to make.
Carrie
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved Some Like it Paid by Angela Quarles! I am a big fan of time travel books and really enjoy reading about people out of their element. I really enjoyed the Craigslist ad and all of the misinterpretations and innuendos. I always find it amusing when modern phrases are confusing and interpreted literally. I also love the comic element and use of Sci-Fi/pop culture references and phrases. I thought it was great how the magic of the druid was explained and his status in his time was r ...more
Keryn
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
An exciting whirlwind of a read. Ashley is on the run from shady creditirs. It seemed her jerk if an ex husband had used all their money in bad transactions. Instead of going after him, it seems she's the fall "guy". Even her family didn't believe her when she said how controlling he we, and how he illegally used all their funds. If her own family didn't believe her, why would anyone else? It was these things that led her to answering the odd Craigslist ad. The last thing she expected was this g ...more
Isha Coleman
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it

Quarles dares to be different and I'm lovin' it. From modern firecracker to 2nd century outcast. Move over Outlander, make room for Some Like It Plaid. Ashley and Connell may be from two different worlds, but they do share a common goal. Both are trying to work their way through heartache. With a connection that seems to transcend time, adventure that kept me mystified and heart that touches the soul, Quarles turns an eccentric romance into an unforgettable love match.
Messy Bun Book Blog
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read some time travel romances before, but never one that drew me in like Some Like it Plaid! I loved Connall! He seemed like he would be a big, tough warrior (& he is) but I loved that he is a big marshmallow inside. Ashley was so freaking awesome! I loved that she was so excited to help Connall’s people and especially help the women have their voices heard in the tribe!
The whole book just moved so smoothly! There was the perfect touch of drama but the focus was Ashley & Connall learning
Tonya
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some Like it Plaid by Angela Quarles is a fun time travel romance novel. Ashley is such a realistic woman from our modern times. She just went through a divorce, she doesn't seem to get along with her family now that her ex turned them against her...and she is paying her ex husband's bad debts. Tired of working two jobs and living in a pod in urban America,. Ashley applies to a job offer on Craig's List.

What she thinks is a job offer is actually a marriage offer to a Scottish man from the past w
Melena Torretta
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley-arcs
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book!

The characters and story drew me in from the beginning. The author did a really nice job creating interesting parameters for the time travel and resources that both Connall and Ashley do between present day San Francisco and Scotland in the past. The descriptions of Scotland and Connall's village made me feel like I was there experiencing it with Ashley as she tries to acclimate.

The story moves nicely between the growing attraction betw
Heather andrews
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yea...Connall doesn't really ask he just demands, "a shadow blended with hers, and Connall reached out a hand. “You will accompany us.” I found this to be an entertaining read, Connall was just set in his ways and his ways weren't to his woman's liking so she decided to do something about driving her man bonkers.
Jen
Granted, historical romance is not typically my thing, but I've read and enjoyed other things by Angela Quarles. (In fact, her Stolen Moments series is one of my all-time favorites!) So I thought I would give this book a try. It was... okay. Not great, not horrible, just okay.

The first ten percent or so is the backstory, concerned with explaining to the reader how and why Connall ends up traveling from ancient Scotland to present-day New York City. It's a bit confusing at first, but things fair
Bookishlor
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
3/5 stars

I thought this was a good romantic story set in the ancient Scotland highlands. I just wasn’t able to connect to the characters as much as I normally do.

Brief Synopsis
Ashley answers a Craigslist ad for a free trip to Scotland in exchange for housework and finds herself married to Connall in the 2nd century Scottish highlands.

Pacing & Points of View
The pacing of this story was average with the main points of view being Connall and Ashley.

Characters
I really liked Ashley's character and
Sofie Sehested
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I give this book 3,5 stars.

I had hoped for a romcom when I saw the cover and read the resume of the book. The beginning didn’t disappoint but then when the two main characters time traveled to Scotland in 156 AD the story became a lot more serious and almost a history lesson.

I really loved learning about Scotland’s history in 156 AD and the raids and fights between the clans or the Romans that invaded the country at the time or how they lived and how the women was undermined and wasn’t aloud in
Angel Hatfield
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
When Ashley Miller sees a Craigslist ad for an all-expense paid vacation to Scotland with a handsome Highland “escort,” she’s all over it. Worn out from working two jobs to pay off the debts her scam artist ex-husband left her with, she just needs a friggin’ break already. Rolling, misty mountains of the Scottish Highlands, here she comes! But one minute she’s sipping a latte and the next she’s zapped to the 2nd century—and promptly informed she’s managed to wed her handsome Highlander without e ...more
BookHookup
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
See Ana's full review at The Book Hookup!!

Angela Quarles is a new author for me. I was looking for a light-hearted read and, when I came across this book on Net Galley, I though I’d found just that. And I did. But, I also found a sweet love story, a bit of adventure, and characters who I fell in love with immediately. I really enjoyed the level of detail the author included about the time period and, unlike some books I’ve read, it wasn’t overwhelming. She seems to know exactly how much the read
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Princess Problem
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • Her Aussie Holiday (Patterson's Bluff #2)
  • The Plus Ones (The Brooklyn Book Boyfriends, #4)
  • The Firefighter's Cinderella (Fire and Sparks #3)
  • Guarding the Single Mother (SEAL Endgame, #1)
  • Catching Her Heart
  • To My Future Number 1 Fan
  • Anyone But a Duke (Sin and Sensibility, #3)
  • Burnout
  • Shelf Awareness (Green Valley Library, #4)
  • Rebirth (The Lily Harper Series Book 5)
  • Cupid Claus
  • Time Hopper: Book One (Time Hopper, #1)
  • The Truth About Alice (Evil Lies, #2)
  • Love in the Stacks (Love in New Bedford, #2)
  • The Bookworm Crush
An avid reader herself, Angela Quarles writes books she'd like to read--laugh-out-loud, smart romances that suck you into her worlds and won't let you go until you reach The End.

~Newsletter: http://bit.ly/1sde3Qi